Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How the Washington Redskins could luck into Peyton Manning

Lavarleap56

I'd take Manning.

I'd take ANYONE.

I admit to being behind Rex. Shamefully, I still WANTED to see Beck and was thinking, even during Dallas, we might as well put Beck in. And, boy, was that depressing. That took all joy from the world. In actuality this season has been REASONABLY average, in spite of general suckiness. Meaning the Beck time makes everything feel so uncompetitive and disgusting. But, with Rex, the team has been adequate to watch and somewhat competitive even.

So, Rex CAN be a legitimate backup for you.

But we must have someone who can be productive AND make fewer mistakes.

And the line is worrisome. And the defense isn't half as good as it should be.

And our passing threats seem ok only some of the time.

Yeah, I'd take Manning if there is real hope he is still allowed and able to play. I just want a QB who can play. Consistently. For at least a couple years :).

PLEASE.

Now, coaching is also weird. For much of the early part of the year I think the staff made game plans around what the team they were playing had done the week before and had difficulty adjusting when they did anything else and every team we played seemed to be ready to do something else. That's not as prominent now, but, I think for a time we felt we were so smart we'd game plan for the teams we'd been seeing and had NO plan for if they were different than that. So we play the Bills who have had trouble stopping this and did that until our heads bled from banging it into the wall repetitively. We never adjusted.

Every game was like that for a while.

And the Beck days were dark.

DARK days.

This has been a HARD season to endure, but, if you take out the Beck days, it's almost kind of average.

From what I gather, they would be riots if the Colts cut Manning to take Luck.

Manning is that franchise and his contract makes him untradeable. Luck, so far as Colts fans are concerned, is an unproven prospect who is yet to take an NFL snap

And, for all the hype surronding Andrew Luck ... Let's not forget, he too has his flaws and will have to work on improving them to become an alite QB in the NFL.

We were all drinking the Sam Bradford kool-aid, and look at where he is now. Granted that St. Louis isn't a great team. But, by the same token, Sam hasn't done anything to showcase his skills.

As someone who has had a neck double fusion and has watched Peyton closely this year let me say this... I do not believe Payton Manning will play football next year.

I know from experience and from watching him move that he is still at the stage where he is conscious of the weight of his head. It's a strange and scary feeling that your neck is still only barely able to handle the weight at first and for me it took a long time before I felt that I could take even a minor bump. Peyton looks very stiff. He's not moving his neck very much at all. Well past that scary feeling but still feeling the weight of your own head, which is weird enough. My point is that it took me a year from where I think he is to where I felt normal and while he may be a younger healthier athlete, he also went through more surgeries and trauma to his neck. He may surprise me but no way can I see him starting the season and I give him 50/50 he plays at all. ...JMO.

On the other hand, there may be an interesting alternative QB sitting on another roster right now. Ryan Mallet. I'd seriously consider giving up our first rounder for him. He's got the size, arm and accuracy. He was phenomenal in the pre-season, and he's been learning behind a HOF QB, on one of the best teams in the NFL.

That or Luck for 3 first rounders... *IF* we're lucky.

Tannehill is not that good. Peyton Manning is the greatest QB of our time. He is not a FA. He signed a new contract just this season. In anycase, I do not see Peyton leaving the Colts. He will retire a Colt for what he has done for that organization. Redskins keep Rex for one more season and sign a Kellen Moore. If doesn't work out, they could attempt to look in a deeper pool of QBs next season.

all of the above just madd me lol and spit food out.

1. yes he did sign a contract last offseason BUT there is a option do in march for 28 million and if indy declines he becomes a FA for this offseason. Again that is in the op.

2. You would rather have Kellen Moore and Rex Grossman ?

3.it takes scouting and projection ability to look at Tannehill and see how his skillset/play will improve over time. im curious how Andrew Luck,MattBarkley,And Robert Griffin iii played as sophomores ? Tannehill really is a 1 1/2 year raw colllege qb.

---------- Post added December-23rd-2011 at 05:40 PM ----------

As someone who has had a neck double fusion and has watched Peyton closely this year let me say this... I do not believe Payton Manning will play football next year.

I know from experience and from watching him move that he is still at the stage where he is conscious of the weight of his head. It's a strange and scary feeling that your neck is still only barely able to handle the weight at first and for me it took a long time before I felt that I could take even a minor bump. Peyton looks very stiff. He's not moving his neck very much at all. Well past that scary feeling but still feeling the weight of your own head, which is weird enough. My point is that it took me a year from where I think he is to where I felt normal and while he may be a younger healthier athlete, he also went through more surgeries and trauma to his neck. He may surprise me but no way can I see him starting the season and I give him 50/50 he plays at all. ...JMO.

On the other hand, there may be an interesting alternative QB sitting on another roster right now. Ryan Mallet. He's got the size, arm and accuracy. He was phenomenal in the pre-season, and he's been learning behind a HOF QB, on one of the best teams in the NFL.

That or Luck for 3 first rounders... *IF* we're lucky.

A few weeks ago i didnt think peyton would play either . Peyton is at the point hes wearing pads/helmet and throwing passes 20 yards and under to teamates.

Also, for the sake of clarity, let's reiterate that this is Peyton Manning we're talking about. Peyton. ****ing. Manning.

That any Redskins fan would turn his nose up at Peyton Manning leaves me flabbergasted. The guy who is the second greatest leader and football player of his generation.

THANK YOU!!! We are the only fanbase in the NFL that would pick Rex over Peyton. Flabbergasted isn't even the word i would use but i dont want to get a BTA! :ols:

Getting Peyton if the Colts release him would be my 3rd favorite option right now for QB, behind getting Luck or getting RG3. If we can't get either, I would gladly have Peyton take us to the playoffs for the next couple years before he retires.

Hell maybe we'll get him (back) over the Super Bowl hump. We're definitely in a better position than the Colts right now.

THANK YOU!!! We are the only fanbase in the NFL that would pick Rex over Peyton.

Are those the only two choices? And, FYI, we're a fanbase that has proven time and again we love to get players who have done great things, as opposed to players who will do great things. We love us some old, big-money/big-name players.

Peyton Manning in Washington would be like Joe Montana in Kansas City. I'll pass.

And I'm not sold on Andrew Luck. The Colts are not going to pick him. Other needy teams might be inclined to do so, but unless he's surrounded by superior talent at the skill positions, Luck = Mirer.

If the Colts release Manning, that should be a red flag. A huge one. A huge one waving in the wind.

Irsay has said that if Peyton Manning is healthy, he's not going to let him go.

If he's let go, he's not heallthy.

And when you're dealing with a neck injury, that's bad. With all due respect to Peyton Manning and his amazing career...how can anyone justify signing Peyton Manning to a relatively expensive contract, after three neck surgeries, with diminishing arm strength, limited mobility, and a scenario where, horrifically, one bad hit could end his career?

I'm not saying that Rex is looking to improve or anything like that. But if nothing else, Rex is healthy. And if we don't draft a quarterback, whatever free agent QB we sign if it's not Rex will be healthy. You can't screw around with neck injuries. If he doesn't have a clean bill of health I don't want him. Even with a clean bill of health, he's unlikely to ever be the Peyton Manning we all know.

You have to look at all the facts. You can't just get caught up in the name and scared that Rex could come back next year.

This is where I am, as far as QB priorities

Trade the farm for Luck

Sit tight or maybe move up a little for RGlll

Trade for Sam Bradford

Trade down and strengthen other areas and grab a Kellen Moore later in draft

Trade for Matt Schaub if possible

Trade for Ryan Mallett

Sign Peyton Manning as a free agent

Start Rex Grossman

Sign Brett Favre

Start me

Start John Beck

As long as we're super careful and do our due dilligence before he's signed. I'd be leery of him if the Colts actually let him hit the market. I gotta believe that if there's a decent shot he's healthy to play that the Colts keep him.

D'oh! Just saw that NLC made pretty much the same point. I think it's an important one to consider, though.

AHe was phenomenal in the pre-season

He was decent in preseason. I saw every one of his snaps, but it might be helpful to at least look up his stats, to double-check and see if it jives with what you remember seeing. But I was much more impressed by Locker, Tyrod Taylor, Dalton, and a couple others then Mallett. And that totally ignores the fact that preseason action doesn't mean anything. Look at the transformation Cam Newton has made playing in the regular season vs. playing in the preseason? And then on the other end of the spectrum you've got the Colt Brennan-type performances that mean nothing for a prospect's future.

Im tired of people blabbing about any big FA aquisition being same old mentality. Really tired of it. A smart team shouldplay the draft smart and use FA just as smartly, effectively, and-- FREQUENTLY. The problem with this franchise and FA is that the draft was used as currency to buy through FA. Thats not the case now, so let the skins make big FA moves if they want. The new head dudes in charge have shown smarts.

We used the sword too much and neglected the shield for a while. But just you try using the shield and neglecting the sword. Dont shy away from Manning because hes not 23. If our pockets can afford us a great two or three years at no draft pick price while our team learns the processes of operating at the level Manning demands, and a young QB is groomed, its a win win.

If Peyton is the real deal, you get him. Its that simple. If hes not healthy, then you dont. But stop this rhombus square stuff. We made bad moves in FA and how we used it. Doesnt mean using FA is a bad move.

Peyton Manning in Washington would be like Joe Montana in Kansas City. I'll pass.

And I'm not sold on Andrew Luck. The Colts are not going to pick him. Other needy teams might be inclined to do so, but unless he's surrounded by superior talent at the skill positions, Luck = Mirer.

Didnt Joe Montana take KC to the playoffs? Whats wrong with haveing 2 years of peyton while you groom a qb?

From what Irsay said today, it doesn't look like he'll be available and they will probably be taking a QB prospect as well.

Shanahan is a bit screwed here with the annoucments over the last couple days.

We'll have no choice but to trade the house for a top pick or we will be stuck with a 2nd rate QB for another year.

They cannot afford that.

From what Irsay said today, it doesn't look like he'll be available and they will probably be taking a QB prospect as well.

Shanahan is a bit screwed here with the annoucments over the last couple days.

We'll have no choice but to trade the house for a top pick or we will be stuck with a 2nd rate QB for another year.

They cannot afford that.

I don't think its out of the realm of possibility that barring Luck or RG3 falling into our laps, Tannehill was always our target. Though he's relatively inexperienced at the QB position and has gotten the "raw" label smacked on him, he still is a perfect fit for our scheme, while also being a senior with the right attitude to be drafted by Shanahan. He's fairly comparable to Locker as a prospect, in my opinion, and I've always thought that he would have been ours at #10 if Tenn hadn't stolen him.

Didnt Joe Montana take KC to the playoffs? Whats wrong with haveing 2 years of peyton while you groom a qb?

Why have a quarterback for two years when, if you do your due diligence, you can have your quarterback for ten years or more?

If he had any other injury, I'd say okay, I can deal. An ACL? Sure. Maybe a problem in his arm, a shoulder injury? Brees came back from one of those. But when you're talking about a neck injury---a neck injury that required three procedures to possibly fix---I get nervous.

And Irsay just said if Peyton's healthy, he's staying with the team. If he's not healthy, he'll probably be playing elsewhere. And if he's not helthy, it's not worth the risk to sign him.

The thing with Joe Montana was that he was clearly healthy and back to 100% when the Chiefs traded for him. The Niners decided to roll with young, but Joe Montana came off the bench and played like the old Montana after being banged up for a couple years. The Niners stuck with Young, but Joe could still play. And he wasn't dealing with a neck injury.

LL, some great info and dilligence. Thank you for posting this.

I could see the skins taking Manning, especially if we finish 7-9 this year, then we're out of the top 10 and would have to pay a HIGH price for a top qb; especially if RGIII stays at Baylor.

I think it all depends on Manning and the Colts draft position. If the Colts have a chance at Luck and take him, I don't think Peyton will want to stay regardless. If the Rams sneak into the first pick and they fire their coach, I could see Bradford being trade bait (and we all know how much Shanny loved him). Of course, either team could just auction off that first pick to the highest bidder.

Umm.... It is Peyton Manning. The greatest QB of all time. Peyton Manning!
Ummmm, the picks he threw season before last, the neck surgeries, missing this whole season, the big contract.... You know that people age, and Peyton Manning 2011 is not the same guy as Peyton Manning 2007, right?

Have we learned nothing from the McNabb debacle?

LL56, I was just referring to the fact that Montana missed significant playing time in KC because of injury; he missed something like 7 or 8 games. Obviously Manning is a better option than Grossman, even if he has to learn the offense. I'm just concerned about his health. If the team is gonna sign someone to lead it and hold it down while a young draftees gets ready, I'd just like to make sure the team isn't bringing in damaged goods.

And for all the criticism of Grossman and the calls for the team to see what Beck had to offer (including from myself), the sad reality is that the team would've probably made the playoffs if Beck hadn't replaced Grossman for those few games.

Archived