Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How the Washington Redskins could luck into Peyton Manning

Lavarleap56

Unless we can sign Manning as a free agent, he's not coming here. Why would we give up the picks when we could use them to move up and get RG3?

And I don't see Manning signing here. Mike is very controlling in his QBs. Manning will want to go somewhere where he can essentially he the OC.

another one who didnt read the entire or even most of the op. One day i might just make a great thread title and hold the A button down for 4 paragraphs and see the response on thread title alone. reading the op you would see i said If RG3 goes back to Baylor and If Peyton is a FA so your questions were already answerd before you began typing bro.

---------- Post added December-23rd-2011 at 03:35 PM ----------

I think what he means, atleast with Rex, he's not so good we'll have better draft position to get a young franchise QB. With Peyton, he immediately gives us 10-12 wins. But is a short term solution (3-5 years).

He's probably thinking over the long haul, he would rather have a young franchise QB over Peyton.

BUT, I can understand Peyton. Look what happened when we drafted a guy like JC, he was give like 5 years, 5 years of mediocrity and no improvement. So, the truth of the matter is, do we get 3-5 good years from Peyton or take a chance on a young Qb?

ses all of that doesnt matter because if he read the op he would know peyton and a young qb come in.

It's the picks, stupid. (Just parphrasing the Bill Clinton line on the economy. I really like 99.999% of the posters on this board and consider you guys the only place to go for Redskin discussions. I do not consider any of you stupid. Wrong, maybe. But not stupid.)

Would I prefer Rex over Manning in a game with Manning healthy? Absolutely not. Too many picks from Grossman.

Would I prefer acquiring Manning over keeping Rex? Absolutely not if it takes away the picks to build the team of the future.

If it's only a money issue, get Manning. If it involves the same picks we gave to get McNabb - don't do it.

If it's only a money issue, get Manning. If it involves the same picks we gave to get McNabb - don't do it.

Why not? I believe that Peyton could come here and play better than McNabb even with his neck being messed up?

I don't know about this LL. You have never given me a reason for me not to trust you, but this is way out there.

so if peyton and rex are free agents your telling me your signing rex grossman ? the same rex grossman half this site wanted on the bench for john beck ? I swear i dont understand the logic sometimes.

"LL56xtremeskins LL

Cant even believe my mentions are blown up over manning rumor. Not gonna happen."

"LL56xtremeskins LL

@

@BallHogsRadio this is off limits. Peyton runs his own offense for 1 and may not even play again. Skins are going to draft their own guy."

Looks like you're not really on board with it either. We should draft our own guy, or find someone that's not gonna be 36 years old with a possibly career-ending neck injury.

Why not? I believe that Peyton could come here and play better than McNabb even with his neck being messed up?

I don't know about this LL. You have never given me a reason for me not to trust you, but this is way out there.

why is that ? the "we would be players if Manning became available" is 100% legit. The rest is trying to piece together the scenario in which that comment becomes a reality. I never say Peyton will be a redskin because really its way to early to come to that conclusion. Really what the op is about is a comment that aknowledges intrest in a player If he becomes available and my idea oh how it could play out.

Really?? :doh:

I would love for you to give any other team in the NFL the option of Rex or Peyton. I guarantee every single team will take Peyton. Why is this fan base so blinded to how bad Rex is. :doh:

I don't want Rex back. But I REALLY don't want Peyton.

Obviously other teams would take Peyton. But Rex has a near mastery of our offense (knowledge-wise), chemistry with our receivers and isn't a 36 year old coming off a career-threatening neck injury.

100% no, came from above the coaches.

I have not seen it posted yet, but I HOPE that everyone that is joining this discussion would appreciate the info that LL is bringing and not burn this post up with negative comments. I think his objective was to be informative and comtinue to be a huge inside source. So what, somethings he said did not come to pass, I am sure we have all been in situations where we were present when strategy had to change. Just saying

HTTR

Ok, here is my 2cents. If Peyton is a FA I say go for it. It addresses the Qb position for the near future. If RG3 goes back to school then I would not even draft a qb this year. Draft BPA (Elite Wr, OL, etc) or stock pile picks. If RG3 goes back to school, next years qb class will be insane. RG3, Barkley, L.Thomas, Wilson, etc. I would also try and resign Rex or sign Flynn in case of injury to Peyton. If RG3 comes out this year then if Peyton is a FA pick him up, and do whatever it takes to draft RG3. If you have to Trade to get Peyton then pass. I don't see how taking a chance on Peyton as a FA is bad. You literally lose no picks. I haven't seen much of Tannehill (sp) so Im not sure on him.

Hopefully I read the OP sufficiently to contribute meaningful comments :silly:

Thoughts:

- I'm completely opposed to any acquisition of Peyton that involves something going out the door for him, other than Snyder's cash and Rex leaving as a FA. In terms of draft value, this could immensely boost it, as we can look to trade down once the qb reaching starts.

- The people worrying about him learning a new offense should rethink. He basically made the Indy offense. I don't think it's a problem for him to "learn" our playbook. He just won't have enough time to "improve" it in his first season, as I predict he would over time.

- How does he fit what we want to do? Good arm strength still, great accuracy, ridiculous decision-making... but the mobility has never been a strength. He has the pocket shiftiness, but he's not a boot-action guy. It's like vastly improving Rex in the pocket, with the same limits outside of it.

why is that ? the "we would be players if Manning became available" is 100% legit. The rest is trying to piece together the scenario in which that comment becomes a reality. I never say Peyton will be a redskin because really its way to early to come to that conclusion. Really what the op is about is a comment that aknowledges intrest in a player If he becomes available and my idea oh how it could play out.

Well if that is the case, then I guess your word is good. If the point was to say that we would be players, then I can get with that.

"LL56xtremeskins LL

Cant even believe my mentions are blown up over manning rumor. Not gonna happen."

"LL56xtremeskins LL

@

@BallHogsRadio this is off limits. Peyton runs his own offense for 1 and may not even play again. Skins are going to draft their own guy."

Looks like you're not really on board with it either. We should draft our own guy, or find someone that's not gonna be 36 years old with a possibly career-ending neck injury.

yeah those are old but I still dont trust that Manning is healthy if colts decline the option and he hits Fa. I also wonder about the offense and if its somethin Peyton would be comfortable with quickly .

This is a moot discussion if Indy doesn't finish first overall. It's probably a moot discussion anyway.

For those who are opposed to Manning:

--Would you rather draft a young QB in the top five picks or so, who you feel can start for 10 to 15 years?

or,

--Would you rather sign Peyton Manning knowing that you've got three or four years of legit Superbowl contention?

What if I rephrased it this way:

--Would you rather sign Peyton Manning knowing you'll win a Superbowl with him?

or

--Would you rather trade up and draft Andrew Luck, and all that entails?

yeah those are old but I still dont trust that Manning is healthy if colts decline the option and he hits Fa. I also wonder about the offense and if its somethin Peyton would be comfortable with quickly .

So we have the same concerns about Manning, health and familiarity with the offense.

The only difference between us seems to be that you think he'll overcome both, and I think we have a better chance with a younger, healthier Rex.

And if you've watched us play the past five games with all our injuries, I don't think that's crazy at all.

Also, for the sake of clarity, let's reiterate that this is Peyton Manning we're talking about. Peyton. ****ing. Manning.

That any Redskins fan would turn his nose up at Peyton Manning leaves me flabbergasted. The guy who is the second greatest leader and football player of his generation.

Incorrect use of present tense.

He's 35 coming off three neck surgeries and is missing this entire season. And runs his own offense. Who in their right mind would want him here in 2012?

Incorrect use of present tense.

He's 35 coming off three neck surgeries and is missing this entire season. And runs his own offense. Who in their right mind would want him here in 2012?

Umm.... It is Peyton Manning. The greatest QB of all time. Peyton Manning!

LL, you're a great poster and very informative. We appreciate yours and TK's contributions.

Don't mean to sound like I'm kissing up, just hate when people (like yourself) try to contribute, get crucified, and then never come back.

I get the we "MAY" be players. I'm sure we'll look at every option available. AS DOES EVERY TEAM IN THE NFL. So guys, before jumping off the deep end, give it some thought.

What I really would like to know is... if the only RG3 goes back.

Do we:

A) Wait till next year

B) Settle or try to get a rookie qb and hope he pans out

C) Trade back and stock pile picks for next year.

Also, for the sake of clarity, let's reiterate that this is Peyton Manning we're talking about. Peyton. ****ing. Manning.

That any Redskins fan would turn his nose up at Peyton Manning leaves me flabbergasted. The guy who is the second greatest leader and football player of his generation.

Maybe we should just sign Brett Favre? :doh:

He may very well be healthier than Manning...

Ok, here is my 2cents. If Peyton is a FA I say go for it. It addresses the Qb position for the near future. If RG3 goes back to school then I would not even draft a qb this year. Draft BPA (Elite Wr, OL, etc) or stock pile picks. If RG3 goes back to school, next years qb class will be insane. RG3, Barkley, L.Thomas, Wilson, etc. I would also try and resign Rex or sign Flynn in case of injury to Peyton. If RG3 comes out this year then if Peyton is a FA pick him up, and do whatever it takes to draft RG3. If you have to Trade to get Peyton then pass. I don't see how taking a chance on Peyton as a FA is bad. You literally lose no picks. I haven't seen much of Tannehill (sp) so Im not sure on him.

Tannehill is not that good. Peyton Manning is the greatest QB of our time. He is not a FA. He signed a new contract just this season. In anycase, I do not see Peyton leaving the Colts. He will retire a Colt for what he has done for that organization. Redskins keep Rex for one more season and sign a Kellen Moore. If doesn't work out, they could attempt to look in a deeper pool of QBs next season.

I think it's really hard to come to a conclusion regarding trading up for Luck. We can speculate on what the price will be, but we really don't know at this point. The other players in looking to trade up will drive the price up too. A lot also depends on who the team is that is in that number 1 slot. I think it would cost even more for a team in their own division wanted trade up, which could drive up the price even more.

The speculation is fun, but there is no point in anyone getting their panties in a bunch becasue we are talking about it. The same goes for getting Peyton. Don't get upset because things are getting floated right now.

Not happening. The Front Office would be stupid to entertain such a notion. At this juncture, Peyton is well past his prime, and more likely 1 hit away from being forced to retire. Remember the hit LaVar Arrington put on Aikman to force him into retirement ... That's the risk of getting Peyton.

We need to bite the bullet, and quit making stop gap solutions that haven't resulted in anything positive. McNabb, or Rexy "Grossy", or Beck. We cannot afford to have another season without upgrading our QB, and WR corp if we want to be competitive.

I would rather the Skins trade up and get Luck. Period! It's a shame Barkley decided to bail on the NFL draft. I do appreciate and respect his desire to finish what he started.

You're surprised, but I'm not.

You're also one of the few posters here that are genuinely good at spotting talented football players and turn out to be right about them most of the time. My hit percentage of players would be off the chart if I actually took the time to study and assemble them. I'm not good at X's and O's mostly because it bores the crap out of me, but finding talent is completely different. I wish I could get paid full-time to do so and I believe you would as well.

If he's healthy, I'll take Peyton anyday. He's not a perfect fit of course, but he reads defenses better than any QB in the game. I have to think he along with Kyle and Mike could get this offense humming.

Archived