Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How the Washington Redskins could luck into Peyton Manning

Lavarleap56

whats your last post?

---------- Post added December-23rd-2011 at 11:38 PM ----------

hmm did you read the OP ?

---------- Post added December-23rd-2011 at 11:43 PM ----------

so sounds like you would rather trade away all out draft picks for 1 player and future top 100 picks. Then you want to go vintage skins modern day eagles and sign alot of fas to upgrade the roster and degrade team chemistry? is that about right ?

RG3 goes back to baylor then i would rather sign a vet and trade down to aquire more picks. Select a qb that might need a year or two to develop and use the picks to fill out my roster with young hungry talent and keep my 40mil in cap room. You notice the more young guys that go in the better we seem to play ?

In response, for what it would cost for Luck if RGIII is not there for the taking, yes. As far as getting OL that can come in and play in the ZBS, yes I would pay for one of Nicks or Grubbs and Meyers as Meyers is the perfect OC for our line. I BELIEVE we will have to select Tannahill with our 2nd round pick if Luck is not available. We can address ALL of our OL problems with young OL in free agency and concentrate on the needs we have in the draftr. With what I projected as to what we would have to give up for Luck and a vet FA QB, and yes I could go with Orton as a stop gap, we can select a primo WR in the 2nd in 2012 and a decent CB in the 3d round. JMO.

I keep going back and forth on this Peyton thing. One side of me would love to bring him in as a placeholder as an upgrade over Rex. But the other side of me is hesitant about his neck and willingness to grasp the system. Right now i'm almost at the point were i'm willing to take my lumps with the rookie (who ever it may be) and go on from there. I guess i'm scared of a McNugget part 2.

I keep going back and forth on this Peyton thing. One side of me would love to bring him in as a placeholder as an upgrade over Rex. But the other side of me is hesitant about his neck and willingness to grasp the system. Right now i'm almost at the point were i'm willing to take my lumps with the rookie (who ever it may be) and go on from there. I guess i'm scared of a McNugget part 2.

I feel similarly. I think that we're not going to get RGIII or Luck, so we take a quarterback with a high ceiling like Tannehill, bring in Manning to lead and teach by example, and once Manning is done, Tannehill comes in. With McNabb we were putting the future on him, and it failed. With Manning there is the understanding that he is not the future.

Taking lumps with a quarterback who isn't ready gets you Patrick Ramsey. If our new one can learn under Manning, then we've got a real shot for a long time.

Plus our team is literally five points away from being division champions. Five points. Manning can provide at least those symbolic five points for a couple of years.

The only question that matters to the FO is Will Peyton Manning sell tickets?.....the answer is YES so I could really see this happing. He would have compete with Rex if re-signed for the starting job. LOL.

Rex Grossman and John Beck are our quarterbacks and you're saying that all that matters is if the tickets will sell?

Think about that.

The only question that matters to the FO is Will Peyton Manning sell tickets?.....the answer is YES so I could really see this happing. He would have compete with Rex if re-signed for the starting job. LOL.

this is why i'm buying the rumors. It makes total sense. But at the sametime, I can't say that Peyton wouldn't be an upgrade, I'm also concerned with chemistry, but well see.

This is not really a McNugget 2.0 type of situation though. McNabb is a last guy in - first guy out type. Peyton is not. Peyton would actually be a professional. There's no question as to his work ethic and preparedness. I think it's worth a shot if he's healthy of course and the deal makes sense. We're not just going to throw insane money at him and cross our fingers. That absolutely would occur under Vincent, but not this group.

The nfl would love this so they could market manning bros twice per year and hopefully more in the playoffs.

The chance of him winning it all with the skins is very slim, but he could help tutor a young qb for a few years.

Certainly interesting news, thanks for sharing.

The nfl would love this so they could market manning bros twice per year and hopefully more in the playoffs.

The chance of him winning it all with the skins is very slim, but he could help tutor a young qb for a few years.

Certainly interesting news, thanks for sharing.

Didn't even think of the Eli part. Depending on how much longer Manning has, they may not play again. NFC East doesn't play them until 2014.

After more thought LL....

If we bring Manning here the spotlight turns right back on FULL BLAST. This team isn't ready, we're not just a QB away.

We can be competitive, but if we bring in Manning it sends the signal that once again we're trying to become an overnight contender, and the media frenzy begins.

he has a nice rapport with the media because he wins,, if he comes here that relationship is going to change, and the expectation his arrival would put on the rest of the team is something they're not likely to live up to.

Peyton Manning = reputation as a Super Bowl QB. He's won one, he's lost one, he just showed that without him his team competes for the first pick.

But we're not ready for that. Here Peyton Manning is treated like Albert Haynesworth in terms of media perception.. unless we win 11 games or so.

Our recent past poisons this before it can even begin. Snyder's reputation for trying to move ahead of the pack by buying the biggest free agents has been proven to be folly again and again (and again by the Eagles.), and it would be a VERY juicy target.

If it does work, yay. But the possibility it does not (and because it's Peyton Manning "does not" is a MUCH higher threshold..) is very realistic. If we go 8-8 next year with a young QB in place most of us would be ecstatic. Media would be looking at us a whole lot differently than if we have Manning and we go 8-8. If we have Manning and go 8-8 the pressure is on. 8-8 with Manning potentially puts Shanny's job in jeopardy. If it doesn't work, we're starting over from square one in another year or two.

the potential for it going bad is much greater than us becoming a perennial playoff contender, which is what I believe is the goal.

~Bang

Bang, I think that you're taking it a little far. Manning coming brings attention, yeah, but who cares? People are going to talk no matter what.

Taking a first-round quarterback and getting Manning shows exactly what we're doing. If the media says otherwise, then they're either stupid, trying to get more clicks, or both.

Oh, and Shanahan's job is not at risk.

You took the worst-case scenario, added things that wouldn't happen and things that wouldn't matter if they happened, and left out any positive there could possibly be. You truly are a Redskins fan. :)

Bang, I think that you're taking it a little far. Manning coming brings attention, yeah, but who cares? People are going to talk no matter what.

Taking a first-round quarterback and getting Manning shows exactly what we're doing. If the media says otherwise, then they're either stupid, trying to get more clicks, or both.

Oh, and Shanahan's job is not at risk.

You took the worst-case scenario, added things that wouldn't happen and things that wouldn't matter if they happened, and left out any positive there could possibly be. You truly are a Redskins fan. :)

I disagree.. if Manning comes here, there is more than the casual talk because of our history of tgrying to make the biggest splash and having it blow up in our faces time and again.

If Manning comes here, the media narrative is not "shanny is getting a fine teacher for his eventual successor".. the narrative is "Shanallenyder trying to buy it all again"

One thing we've all seen as a universal positive in a dismal season is we've managed to get the circuses out of town so we can concentrate on developing football players.

Bringing manning here brings all that circus back.

There's no positive in this.

Bringing in Manning is a signal that we are ready to win, and we're not. HE is, but he wont be in the same offense that has been as comfy as a womb to him for the last 13 years.. he'll be adapting to something new and the chanc es he struggles is high. (and realize "struggles" is magnified because of who he is. He's Peyton Manning. If he has a 25 TD year it's a failure as compared to a 25 TD year by Rex, for example).

Whoever brings him in is instantly going to be mentioned in contention talk because of him, and very few teams would be able to take him on and live up to what the expectation his arrival would bring.

I think the scenario in which Manning comes here, fuels a whole lot of media distraction, and ultimately goes .500 is a recipe for disaster, and a very real potential.

I'd pass.

~Bang

didnt say anything about contract. Most people believe if healthy peyton has 2-3 years of good ball left in him. I dont think a 4 year deal is out of possibilities and by year 3 you would hope the draft pick could beat out peyton.

No, you didn't say anything about the contract. But you better believe he wants to go to a team who wants to commit to him (and to contending for Super Bowls) for more than 2 years. There will be plenty of teams he can sign with who would want him to be more than a mentor for 2 seasons.

Not completely disregarding your point, but people keep harping on his ability to grasp the system. We're talking about one of the smartest, most studious QBs in the history of the game. He probably already knows our offense just from playing Houston twice a year. McNabb was dumb and lazy. Peyton is the complete opposite. I think he would be ok in that regard.

Not completely disregarding your point, but people keep harping on his ability to grasp the system. We're talking about one of the smartest, most studious QBs in the history of the game. He probably already knows our offense just from playing Houston twice a year. McNabb was dumb and lazy. Peyton is the complete opposite. I think he would be ok in that regard.

Let me clarify, its not his "ability" to grasp the system, my concern is with his "willingness" to grasp the system after basically running his offence for 13 yrs in Indy. Like someone said earlier "An old dog is still an old dog".

Let me clarify, its not his "ability" to grasp the system, my concern is with his "willingness" to grasp the system after basically running his offence for 13 yrs in Indy. Like someone said earlier "An old dog is still an old dog".

Fair point - although I think a few people earlier did in fact express concern over his "ability", which I don't see as a concern at all. As for willingness, he'd only come here if he thinks we have a chance at winning a Super Bowl. Shanny and Bruce can push all they want but in the end I think it will depend on if Peyton wants to and thinks we can win. If he thinks that, he'd be all in.

Bang -

Agree to disagree. I would caution against giving the media, even if you're a part of it, any credit. So they get loud, who cares? It's people talking and writing. That's it.

:ols: I'm not part of it.

i make fun of it, but i'm not part of it. I mean, i guess technically all entertainment is 'media'.. but..

Unfortunately we've seen the damage the media can do. No sense throwing open the doors now that we've finally gotten things calmed down.

~Bang

As far as Manning being able to grasp the system of a new team, I would like to think he's so good (which he is isn't he?) that he would have no trouble, and would be easy/ amateur hour for him considering his 'specialty' is figuring out defenses, and what's necessary to play considering what the D is doing. In fact, he might be so good at it, that he ends up teaching his offensive coordinator a thing or two, and then the question is: is the offensive coordinator OK with that.

Considering how stern Shannahan is (which is a great thing IMO) it would be pretty interesting to see what sort of leash a Peyton Manning would be given.by the Shannafamily. One the one hand, if what Peyton does works and win games, it's great. On the other, the young coordinator spends 2-3 years not coordinating to the fullest. Or does he learn from Manning? Is it worth learning Peyton's style of offense if it's unlikely you'll have a QB who can play like Peyton when Peyton is gone? Did you waste your time development-wise? Is it now year 5 of Shanny time and have we already learned that a team with Peyton does not work without Peyton? He could be like a curse with his unique skills.

This could go for other teams and coaches, but it's a nice reminder, when thinking about it, that the Shannahans don't **** around, where other teams would bow at the feet of the HOF QB and hand the team to him (Vikings-Favre). Mcnabb didn't make it one season. It seems things will be run the Shanny's way or the highway, and it would be interesting to see how the chemistry would work out. Too interesting actually, and I don't think we have room for any more trial and error situations. Draft a QB.

What about this scenario.

Skins sign Peyton

Draft BPA (OL, LB, CB)

Pick up quality QB ready to groom.

Peyton cant play (Retire)

Skins season over..1-14

Skins get #1 pick 2012

Skins draft quaterback of the century ( Assuming Luck goes back to school):)

Fat chance huh? Could happen

Archived