Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How the Washington Redskins could luck into Peyton Manning

Lavarleap56

The debates have gone on for almost two months now about which QB prospect will the Redskins select to save them from Rex vs Beck part 2 . Today at 4pm 30% of Extremeskins became disappointed when Matt Barkley announced his intention to return to USC for his senior season. As i write this 60% of Extremeskins is scanning the internet,twitter, and watching the espn bottom line for any news about RG3 intentions to declare or stay in school. I have been out front as recently as today saying he would declare for the NFL draft but if some information i received earlier via message is true then " he is leaning heavily towards staying at Baylor for his senior season". In the course of a few hours 90% of extremeskins it seems lost both their saviors, so whats next?

A few days ago I received some information from a high up source in the organization that stated " Should Peyton Manning become available we would plan to be a player". Naturally at the time of hearing this it looked like Reg,Luck,Barkley would all be available so it was a head scratcher but as things are playing out it doesn't look so far fetched. Everyday that passes it looks like the "strongest QB class since Elway,Marino" is being diluted to Andrew Luck and guys that need time to develop. What does that mean for the Redskins who find themselves drafting in the top 10 and in need of a franchise guy ? Trade it all for Luck ? Trade it all for Bradford? In a few weeks we will know who sits in the number 1 spot come draft day and if its the colts then march is setting up to be a tell that Indy might not be able to avoid in regards to Manning/Luck. The Colts have to either pay or move on from Peyton in march with his 28 million dollar bonus due and with Luck/Peyton having the same agent it only clouds the situation more and nobody is looking for Manning to renegotiate. Archie Manning, yes the same Manning who was the architect of Eli to the giants has already came out and said he didn't feel Luck/Peyton could play together in Indianapolis. I cant see Indy with their cap situation keeping Manning and drafting Luck regardless of what/who they try to restructure and see it as a very real possibility Peyton if not traded by march is released.

Everyone knows Mike is in year two of a five year contract and cant afford to go into next season with the QB situation as is and the QB market looks slim with the like of Flynn,Smith, and Young. You bring in Peyton Manning as a Free Agent and draft a QB the team likes but needs time to develop in Ryan Tannehill. Peyton is perceived to have a good 2-3 years left in him if he is healthy from his neck injury and while its a gamble its a wise one if you draft a young QB to groom that can be had by trading back a bit in the draft. I don't think Mike plans on really hitching 4 years to Rex Grossman and what better guy to help develop a QB than Manning.

I'm still digging and trying to find out more information but considering where i heard the manning info from i have to give it validity. The other possibility is that the smoke screen has started early but usually the source isn't going to get involved in smoke screens this early so I'm taking it for what it is right now. Yes, i also laughed and stepped on this idea a few weeks ago and i am also not saying it will without a doubt happen.

I don't want this team anywhere near the market for Peyton Manning unless he's 100%. And not "well he'll be healthy by the start of the regular season", I mean the second we sign him I want him to have a clean bill of health or I don't want us touching ANOTHER 30+ year old quarterback with diminishing talent.

Honestly I don't want him period.

The colts are not going to trade Manning. End of story.

*eta

And they're sure as hell not gonna release him either :)

I cant speak for the colts only to some of what i have heard. The fact that a skins official said " we will be players' is enough to look into how it could be done.

I cant speak for the colts only to some of what i have heard. The fact that a skins official said " we will be players' is enough to look into how it could be done.

With Snyders wallet and ShanAllen running the office, I can see this happening if Shanny really wants it to happen. That's my big question though. Is this something Shanny would be on board with? How would Manning fit in Kyles offense. Is Manning willing to let someone else "direct" the offense? I have to admit, it is very intriguing.

Skins have to deal with the qb position this season and with barkley,Griffin staying how do you do it ? My question would be is two years of peyton and developing a rookie better then two years of Rex or Beck ? i dont see anyother college qbs that can step in and play in year 1.

If he actually becomes available I have no doubt we will be players. I am not opposed to the move IF we trade out of the first round and collect an extra first next year.

Its clear we cannot afford to be in this situation again, I.E not toally sucking (which we won't going forward) nor not having extra 1st round ammo in a draft.

I don't want to reach for a Tannehill. I want these guys to get the QB they really want. Lets have more ammo. And lets figure out a way to convince Andrew Luck to go back to school :)

For a team that wants to get younger, why in the heck would we want a 30 year plus quarterback who has just missed the entire season with a neck injury. Based on what has been done to this roster in the past two years, in my opinion that would be in sane.

I think it would be sane. While needing a QB is very high on the list, what we need more than anything on offense is a leader. I don't think we have that right now. Even if we were to get Luck or RGIII, It would be a few years before we had a leader as they mature. Our offense really isn't that bad. They move the ball, but just can't seem to close in the red zone. I am not opposed to this at all. It's just kind of surreal to think that we could have Manning as our QB.

I think it would be sane. While needing a QB is very high on the list, what we need more than anything on offense is a leader. I don't think we have that right now. Even if we were to get Luck or RGIII, It would be a few years before we had a leader as they mature. Our offense really isn't that bad. They move the ball, but just can't seem to close in the red zone. I am not opposed to this at all. It's just kind of surreal to think that we could have Manning as our QB.

This is based on Barkley and RG3 staying in school which looks to be the case now.

QB that's used to running his own system, not even one that a coach developed for him, Peyton Manning's own system. 3 neck surgeries in 19 months awhile back, and the results of the latest fusion still aren't guaranteed, and he'll miss this whole season.

I hope to God we don't sign him.

That neck injury gives me a lot of pause.

With our luck, he'd end up on our team only to never play a snap.

QB that's used to running his own system, not even one that a coach developed for him, Peyton Manning's own system. 3 neck surgeries in 19 months awhile back, and the results of the latest fusion still aren't guaranteed, and he'll miss this whole season. And he's 35.

I really hope we don't sign him.

Here's the thing... if we're being logical about this, Peyton Manning is no better than Rex is at this point.

He would have to learn a new offense and one that favors Rex right now. Peyton is coming off a surgery that was once deemed career threatening and again, this is Peyton Manning we're talking about here. If you though McNabb was a mistake, what do you think we'd get with Manning.

This is a wonderful debate to have right now leading up to the draft and I credit your source for forcing this out there. But, there is no way Mike is getting butt****ed again.

Archived