Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How the Washington Redskins could luck into Peyton Manning

Lavarleap56

Signing Peyton Manning would be the ultimate Redskins Snyder-era move. After so many years of these types of things blowing up in our faces I'm not even sure I want the great Peyton Manning here. And that's sad for me to say because he's been one of my favorite players to watch over the years.

Signing Peyton Manning would be the ultimate Redskins Snyder-era move. After so many years of these types of things blowing up in our faces I'm not even sure I want the great Peyton Manning here. And that's sad for me to say because he's been one of my favorite players to watch over the years.

This is how I feel. I'm a big Rocky Top fan, and a huge fan of Peyton in general. But this would be the ultimate Snyderistic move. A great player on the obvious downside of his career, delaying the inevitable moving forward this franchise has to do. If the quarterbacks that would propel this team forward go back to school or are unattainable, then you get more of the pieces. Do like we did last year, and get more productive guys on this team. More team captains, more role players. Guys like Jenkins and Gomes and Helu and Hankerson. Don't put a guy on this team that isn't going to help the team win a Super Bowl.

With Snyders wallet and ShanAllen running the office, I can see this happening if Shanny really wants it to happen. That's my big question though. Is this something Shanny would be on board with? How would Manning fit in Kyles offense. Is Manning willing to let someone else "direct" the offense? I have to admit, it is very intriguing.

Everybody (and I'm not putting you in this category) who thinks that Peyton and Kyle could not co-exist is completely nuts. Don't forget, Elway ran this offense. With great success. He and Shanahan were able to easily mesh. Shanahan came up with great play design, and called the game, but Elway, being a future HOF QB who knew what was going on, was provided the on field flexibility to change the play at the line if he wanted to. I actually would feel that given his experience with Elway, Shanahan would know how to handle Peyton. And nobody bring up McNabb. It was clear right from the beginning that McNabb didn't put in the work or effort, and COULDN'T call the game from the line if he wanted to. I am pretty sure that Peyton would grasp the offense immediately, would put in the work, and would mesh beautifully with the 'Skins coaching staff.

Also, if Peyton was to land up here, the defense might be the best that he has had in his entire career. Not a bad situation to find yourself in....

I'm intrigued by the possibility. I would LOVE if the 'Skins could figure a way to get Peyton AND draft a QB. Don't know if that's feasible, but eh, it would be neat.

Voice of Reason, I didn't take that wrong at all. I am really intrigued too. I am sure Mike Shanahan would know how to handle Manning, I am not sure about Kyle. Kyle is still young and from watching his play calling, seems to have a large ego. My feeling is if we get Manning, I think it might be for less than people are thinking.

Look at it from the Colts point of view. If they know they are drafting Luck, then Peyton becomes expendable. He is also due a large roster bonus. Now the Colts can cut Manning and not pay him the bonus, pay the bonus and then try to trade him, or trade him to a team willing to pay the roster bonus. Option 1, they get nothing for Peyton. Option 2, they pay a ****load of money and then trade him for a draft choice. Option 3, trade him to a team willing to pay the roster bonus and still get a 2nd and a 4th for him. What would you do if you were the Colts? I would go option 3.

Oh sweet Jesus...why must I live in fear every offseason? While I dont doubt the validity of the source, this just smells bad to me. Maybe its the bad idea stench. Please, if this does happen...let me be wrong and something along these lines actually work out for a change. I seriously hope we draft a guy to groom behind him if true...someone very unlike Jim Sorgi and Curtis Painter.

We've never had a player like Manning in the history of the franchise.

A 36 year old quarterback with a busted neck who is due $30,000,000 next season? Different year, different player, same mentality.

---------- Post added December-22nd-2011 at 10:34 PM ----------

Voice of Reason, I didn't take that wrong at all. I am really intrigued too. I am sure Mike Shanahan would know how to handle Manning, I am not sure about Kyle. Kyle is still young and from watching his play calling, seems to have a large ego. My feeling is if we get Manning, I think it might be for less than people are thinking.

Look at it from the Colts point of view. If they know they are drafting Luck, then Peyton becomes expendable. He is also due a large roster bonus. Now the Colts can cut Manning and not pay him the bonus, pay the bonus and then try to trade him, or trade him to a team willing to pay the roster bonus. Option 1, they get nothing for Peyton. Option 2, they pay a ****load of money and then trade him for a draft choice. Option 3, trade him to a team willing to pay the roster bonus and still get a 2nd and a 4th for him. What would you do if you were the Colts? I would go option 3.

Option 4 is keep Manning, draft Luck, hope Manning can play 2 more years, groom Luck, and let Luck replace Manning. I go with option 4 every time if I'm Polian/Irsay.

We're not going after Manning. Obviously I am not Snyder, Allen or Shanny so I don't know for sure, but it sure feels like this is a smokescreen. Peyton just doesn't fit our offense, would be too expensive and has health concerns. Doesn't gel with what Shanny seems to be trying to do

I would rather have Rex than Manning. And that's not an endorsement of Grossman, nor an indictment of Manning. I just don't want any players on this team who are going to stand in the way of us going to the Super Bowl, and Manning does that. There's no reason to not take a QB in the 1st round if Grossman is here. If you spend what it takes to get Manning here, you're not taking your true QB of the future for another 2-4 years.

We're not going after Manning. Obviously I am not Snyder, Allen or Shanny so I don't know for sure, but it sure feels like this is a smokescreen. Peyton just doesn't fit our offense, would be too expensive and has health concerns. Doesn't gel with what Shanny seems to be trying to do

A smokescreen that reads like this three days after the draft:

Mike S: "Anytime you can trade up for a player with the potential of Andrew Luck you have to make the move"

Polin/Irsay: "We looked hard at sticking with the pick and taking Andrew Luck as our QB of the future. We are confident he has a long and bright future ahead of him in the NFL, but at the end of the day we felt that Peyton Manning, being 100% healthy and the face of our team, combined with the players we were able to select this year and years moving forward, were the better option for our franchise."

Lets not forget that Indy still isn't guaranteed that number 1 pick. It could be the Rams for all we know.

That would throw a monkey wrench into the whole works, wouldn't it?

As I pointed out in the other thread on pretty much the same topic, the odds of the Rams getting the #1 pick are extremely slim. The Colts would pretty much have to win out, because the Colts will get the #1 pick based on SoS if the two teams end up with the same record.

As I pointed out in the other thread on pretty much the same topic, the odds of the Rams getting the #1 pick are extremely slim. The Colts would pretty much have to win out, because the Colts will get the #1 pick based on SoS if the two teams end up with the same record.

If they can pull out a win against the Texans, the Rams' chances increase significantly. Indy has a real good shot at beating the Jaguars next week.

Mike S: "Anytime you can trade up for a player with the potential of Andrew Luck you have to make the move"

Polin/Irsay: "We looked hard at sticking with the pick and taking Andrew Luck as our QB of the future. We are confident he has a long and bright future ahead of him in the NFL, but at the end of the day we felt that Peyton Manning, being 100% healthy and the face of our team, combined with the players we were able to select this year and years moving forward, were the better option for our franchise."

Haha let's hope...except that by the time the draft comes we will know whether Manning will be staying with the Colts or not

Different player for sure. Player who will go down as one of the greatest passing quarterbacks in the history of the NFL, the second greatest football player of his generation.

Umm, excuse me, I think you mean the "Greatest footballer of his generation" please. He is better than Tom Brady.

I think Irsay said today that if Manning is healthy he is a Colt. He did say they will draft a QB but he didn't say what pick and name of the QB.

Different player for sure. Player who will go down as one of the greatest passing quarterbacks in the history of the NFL, the second greatest football player of his generation.

Good teams do not base personnel decisions on what players have done in the past, they base personnel decisions on what they will do in the future. And, although the past is oftentimes a good indicator of how things will turn out in the future, it carries a lot less weight when you're talking about a 36 year old QB with multiple neck surgeries.

Lets not forget that Indy still isn't guaranteed that number 1 pick. It could be the Rams for all we know.

That would throw a monkey wrench into the whole works, wouldn't it?

Do the Rams now hold the #1 spot if they lose out? Not sure how the SoS plays out right now.

Archived