Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How the Washington Redskins could luck into Peyton Manning

Lavarleap56

Why have a quarterback for two years when, if you do your due diligence, you can have your quarterback for ten years or more?

If he had any other injury, I'd say okay, I can deal. An ACL? Sure. Maybe a problem in his arm, a shoulder injury? Brees came back from one of those. But when you're talking about a neck injury---a neck injury that required three procedures to possibly fix---I get nervous.

And Irsay just said if Peyton's healthy, he's staying with the team. If he's not healthy, he'll probably be playing elsewhere. And if he's not helthy, it's not worth the risk to sign him.

The thing with Joe Montana was that he was clearly healthy and back to 100% when the Chiefs traded for him. The Niners decided to roll with young, but Joe Montana came off the bench and played like the old Montana after being banged up for a couple years. The Niners stuck with Young, but Joe could still play. And he wasn't dealing with a neck injury.

not understanding you.. Peyton to man the fort and taking a rookie qb to groom as your 10 year guy for you isnt ok with you ?

I have to say, unless the neck checks out 100%, I say we pass on Peyton. I know that we don't have many options but I think Peyton is going to want a 4 or 5 year deal worth 80 to 100 million. Anyway you split it, it will be an enormous amount of money that we can fill the other holes we have (i.e., OL (Guards / Nicks or Grubbs and possibly OC / Myers) with as well as other positions. My hopes are that, one we can land RGIII if he comes out this year for the draft or the Rams get the #1 pick and we trade 2012, 2013, 2014 (1st) and 2012 (4th) and 2013 (2nd) to move up to get Luck. If the Colts land Luck, then lets get Tannahil and trade for a decent vet that filts Shanny's style of QB. Just my 2 cents.

I just think it's funny that we criticized this organization for years, including LAST YEAR, for taking old, veteran, broken down quarterbacks (or players in general) that other teams didn't value anymore...and now Peyton Manning might be available and everyone is ready to go all in on that again, expecting a different result, despite evidence to contrary that Manning may never be the same quarterback he was.

What a difference a year makes.

Yeah, I'd take Manning if there is real hope he is still allowed and able to play. I just want a QB who can play. Consistently. For at least a couple years.....

This has been a HARD season to endure, but, if you take out the Beck days, it's almost kind of average.

Just wanted to say that its nice to hear Art's thoughts on the season........we hear from you too infrequently these days.

If you take Irsay's statement at face value, sounds like the Colts are inclined to keep Peyton and trade down to a spot where they get one of the second tier guys with a later first-round pick or early-second rounder, perhaps the guy from A&M. Maybe we'll wind up being the trade partners to move up.

You think Manning is going to choose to go to a team that only wants him for 2 years? Seems unlikely to me.

didnt say anything about contract. Most people believe if healthy peyton has 2-3 years of good ball left in him. I dont think a 4 year deal is out of possibilities and by year 3 you would hope the draft pick could beat out peyton.

---------- Post added December-23rd-2011 at 09:58 PM ----------

Who's to say Beck is even going to be on this team?

Haven't you noticed that Beck has not even stepped foot back on out on the field despite up being eliminated from contention...

settle down lol cant i just have a debate on here about the topic ? i already know Beck will probably be cut.

---------- Post added December-23rd-2011 at 09:56 PM ----------

Who's to say Beck is even going to be on this team?

Haven't you noticed that Beck has not even stepped foot back on out on the field despite up being eliminated from contention...

settle down lol cant i just have a debate on here about the topic ? i already know Beck will probably be cut.

---------- Post added December-23rd-2011 at 09:58 PM ----------

I just think it's funny that we criticized this organization for years, including LAST YEAR, for taking old, veteran, broken down quarterbacks (or players in general) that other teams didn't value anymore...and now Peyton Manning might be available and everyone is ready to go all in on that again, expecting a different result, despite evidence to contrary that Manning may never be the same quarterback he was.

see where you are coming from but im not advocating or standing on the table for manning.

explain? I could be wrong but season 3 with Rex vs Beck 2 doesnt look much better..

Manning has had 2 neck surgeries, he's going into his 15th year.

He's never run anything but that offense he's done, and I would not like to be the experiment to find out if he can learn something new in two years (with amazing good luck) before he retires.

Old dog. A good old dog.. but an old dog.

If it came down to us trying to go after someone else's QB, I'd rather go with Flynn than Manning. (And I don't want to go with Flynn much either.. but Barkley and now RG3 may make the decision for us) Hell, if it came down to it and the Rams end up with The Pick, i'd prefer to pry Bradford loose than go with Manning.

five years ago, no question, but not at this stage of Manning's career. I want youth.

~Bang

Just wanted to say that its nice to hear Art's thoughts on the season........we hear from you too infrequently these days.

If you take Irsay's statement at face value, sounds like the Colts are inclined to keep Peyton and trade down to a spot where they get one of the second tier guys with a later first-round pick or early-second rounder, perhaps the guy from A&M. Maybe we'll wind up being the trade partners to move up.

Irsay said explicitly the other day, maybe even yesterday?, that if Luck is there, then he is taking him and wouldn't have a problem keeping them both. I'm pretty sure that Manning would, though, not to mention his agent.

The people who have criticized moves for older quarterbacks, and I am one of the loudest, get upset at the idea of putting the weight of a franchise's future on the weight of a quarterback who puts his weight on a cane/walker. In LL56's scenario, we would be getting Manning for just a couple of years with the future already in place. Think of Brunell and Campbell except the coach, Brunell, and Campbell know what the plan is (and this new Campbell doesn't suck ass). Manning comes in, we have a legit shot at a division title at the least (without those three Beck games we ARE the champs), and Tannehill is just learning from him the entire time. Tannehill soaks it all in and is a very hard worker from what I've read, and I don't see Manning having a problem with this. He just doesn't seem like the Jerry Rice type who would play just to tarnish his record. I think that Dungy taught him better than that.

We have the cap room, we have a legitimate head coach, and we have a team that's almost at its boiling point. I don't have a problem with signing Manning if we all know that it's not going to be a seven-year deal.

Irsay said explicitly the other day, maybe even yesterday?, that if Luck is there, then he is taking him and wouldn't have a problem keeping them both. I'm pretty sure that Manning would, though, not to mention his agent.

Irsay said that the Colts would take a QB in the draft "if the right one is available." Many people are going to read this as Luck being the guy (especially since the Colts will certainly be picking in the top 3 and likely #1) but his statement to me is pretty open-ended.

We have the cap room, we have a legitimate head coach, and we have a team that's almost at its boiling point. I don't have a problem with signing Manning if we all know that it's not going to be a seven-year deal.

Right. They're smart enough to have a deal in place that will not hamstring them for years to come. Peyton knows there's huge question marks surrounding his neck. If we do get a deal done, I'm sure it will be smart and beneficial to all sides.

While Peyton Manning is aging, he still hasn't shown any signs of slowing down. In 2010, his completion percentage was still very high (66%) and his QB rating was over 100 yet again. Manning will be like Bret Farve. He won't retire until he's in his forties. If he came to Washington, my biggest concern would be if he can pick up the West Coast Offense well, and seeing as though Manning has always called his own plays, would Mike Shanahan grant that to him? It would be interesting to find out.

Irsay said that the Colts would take a QB in the draft "if the right one is available." Many people are going to read this as Luck being the guy (especially since the Colts will certainly be picking in the top 3 and likely #1) but his statement to me is pretty open-ended.

I have a different quote that I've seen in a few places:

"I don't see that being the issue; I paid him $26 million this year — he didn't play," Irsay said of Manning. "I knew it was an iffy situation going in. In terms of if he's healthy and if he's ready to play, I see him back with us. The draft will be what the draft is; there are a lot of situations that can unfold from here. If there is a great young quarterback there, we wouldn't hesitate to take him."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Colts-not-yet-sewn-up-with-Luck-and-Irsay-8217?urn=nfl-wp14532 among others

Manning has had 2 neck surgeries, he's going into his 15th year.

He's never run anything but that offense he's done, and I would not like to be the experiment to find out if he can learn something new in two years (with amazing good luck) before he retires.

Old dog. A good old dog.. but an old dog.

If it came down to us trying to go after someone else's QB, I'd rather go with Flynn than Manning. (And I don't want to go with Flynn much either.. but Barkley and now RG3 may make the decision for us) Hell, if it came down to it and the Rams end up with The Pick, i'd prefer to pry Bradford loose than go with Manning.

five years ago, no question, but not at this stage of Manning's career. I want youth.

~Bang

understandable but you do know in the op peyton and a rookie would be a package deal right? your not really counting on peyton to be a savior but rather just be better than Rex.

---------- Post added December-23rd-2011 at 10:41 PM ----------

Irsay can and almost has to say that because the fan base and team love peyton. When march comes and Indy lets peyton know they intend to go with luck then peyton could pull the kill switch.

understandable but you do know in the op peyton and a rookie would be a package deal right? your not really counting on peyton to be a savior but rather just be better than Rex.

---------- Post added December-23rd-2011 at 10:41 PM ----------

Irsay can and almost has to say that because the fan base and team love peyton. When march comes and Indy lets peyton know they intend to go with luck then peyton could pull the kill switch.

With all due respect and you know that LL, I am awaiting you response to my last post, bro.

With all due respect and you know that LL, I am awaiting you response to my last post, bro.

whats your last post?

---------- Post added December-23rd-2011 at 11:38 PM ----------

Here's an idea: Let's draft our OWN franchise QB, enjoy success and a Super Bowl win or two, and then in 13-15 years we can pawn him off on some other hapless team looking for a quick fix instead of developing their own players.

hmm did you read the OP ?

---------- Post added December-23rd-2011 at 11:43 PM ----------

I have to say, unless the neck checks out 100%, I say we pass on Peyton. I know that we don't have many options but I think Peyton is going to want a 4 or 5 year deal worth 80 to 100 million. Anyway you split it, it will be an enormous amount of money that we can fill the other holes we have (i.e., OL (Guards / Nicks or Grubbs and possibly OC / Myers) with as well as other positions. My hopes are that, one we can land RGIII if he comes out this year for the draft or the Rams get the #1 pick and we trade 2012, 2013, 2014 (1st) and 2012 (4th) and 2013 (2nd) to move up to get Luck. If the Colts land Luck, then lets get Tannahil and trade for a decent vet that filts Shanny's style of QB. Just my 2 cents.

so sounds like you would rather trade away all out draft picks for 1 player and future top 100 picks. Then you want to go vintage skins modern day eagles and sign alot of fas to upgrade the roster and degrade team chemistry? is that about right ?

RG3 goes back to baylor then i would rather sign a vet and trade down to aquire more picks. Select a qb that might need a year or two to develop and use the picks to fill out my roster with young hungry talent and keep my 40mil in cap room. You notice the more young guys that go in the better we seem to play ?

Archived