Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How the Washington Redskins could luck into Peyton Manning

Lavarleap56

With our OL Peyton would just get re-injured. Not a good fit.

I thought of that, but then I thought about their OL in Indy, and it's nothing special.

He doesn't get hit because he gets the ball out so fast. I think he'd be fine behind most lines.

Anyway, for all the reasons i came up with for why i don't want him, this one i had to strike from the list.

~Bang

If Manning was available and healthy wouldn't every team without an elite QB be a potential player?

One would think so wouldn't they?

But if Manning is healthy, I just don't see how the Colts can make him available. Jim Irsay said they wouldn't under those circumstances. How could they just get rid of arguably their greatest player in franchise history (certainly the greatest whoever played in Indianapolis)? That's a black eye for your franchise that will never be removed from your legacy. This time would always be remembered as the year they ran off Peyton Manning.

Can you imagine how it would have felt to run off Darrell Green? There are some things that are more important than kowtowing to the next big time college prospect.

---------- Post added December-24th-2011 at 11:37 AM ----------

If the Colts release Manning, that should be a red flag. A huge one. A huge one waving in the wind.

Irsay has said that if Peyton Manning is healthy, he's not going to let him go.

If he's let go, he's not heallthy.

Leave it to the doctors to worry about this because anything we're doing is pure speculation. For the sake of discussion, I'll assume he's healthy enough to play if we were to acquire him.

And when you're dealing with a neck injury, that's bad. With all due respect to Peyton Manning and his amazing career...how can anyone justify signing Peyton Manning to a relatively expensive contract, after three neck surgeries, with diminishing arm strength, limited mobility, and a scenario where, horrifically, one bad hit could end his career?
One bad hit can end anyone's career. That's football. His arm is fine, it was fine last year when he was playing hurt. He'll always be one of the most gifted players throwing the ball.
I'm not saying that Rex is looking to improve or anything like that. But if nothing else, Rex is healthy. And if we don't draft a quarterback, whatever free agent QB we sign if it's not Rex will be healthy. You can't screw around with neck injuries. If he doesn't have a clean bill of health I don't want him. Even with a clean bill of health, he's unlikely to ever be the Peyton Manning we all know.
Why do you think that? I think if anyone could bounce back from a serious injury, it'd be Peyton Manning. He's no stranger to rehab and has routinely played through serious injuries throughout his entire life in football. He's a fanatically hard worker and dedicated to the game. He's not like normal players.

:ols: I'm not part of it.

i make fun of it, but i'm not part of it. I mean, i guess technically all entertainment is 'media'.. but..

Unfortunately we've seen the damage the media can do. No sense throwing open the doors now that we've finally gotten things calmed down.

~Bang

Anyone with a podcast is in the media. Duh. That's why everyone with an opinion and a microphone can file an iReport or whatever on CNN. Idiot. :)

But really, what damage has the media done? McNabb sucked. Haynesworth sucked. Vinny sucked. Fassel would've sucked. Zorn sucked. The media helped get rid of all of them, yeah, and how was it bad?

Shanahan, Allen, and Manning wouldn't give a **** about the media. That's why Shanahan could say that he's putting his reputation on the line with Grossman and Beck, because it didn't matter at all what Thom Loverro and his helium addiction thought of him.

If RG3 stays in school and Peyton gets released, this is a no brainer. I do believe that Peyton will be released because there's no way the Colts pay him $28 million dollars less than two months before drafting Andrew Luck. And with the cap implications of both the hit to the Colts and a team being able to absorb Peyton's contract, they can't trade him. Peyton and the Colts will agree to part ways with no hard feelings.

For the Skins, getting Manning without giving up picks is a huge come up. We fix our biggest hole with a HOF player. And he'll be fine with the Shanahans. Mike had no problem with Montana, Young, or Elway. McNabb obviously has work ethic and attitude issues that soured that relationship. With $40 million in cap space, we can bring in Peyton plus improve the offensive line and/or get a lead WR. It also gives us the flexibility to maneuver in the draft to get our future QB and maybe acquire additional picks.

Just imagine an offseason where we sign Peyton, Ben Grubbs, and VJax, move back in the draft to add an extra 2nd, get DeCastro (I'd then slide Chester over to OC) and then take the 2nd we picked up to trade back up into the end of the 1st to get Tannehill. We'd still have a 2nd to target a guy like Fleener (the Gronkowski/Jimmy Graham type of 6'6" TE to replace Cooley) and then get a dynamic, versatile player like LaMichael James in the 3rd.

This is obviously my ideal scenario, but the point is that signing Peyton gives us flexibility, it means we don't have to sink all of our assets into moving up (even though I'd love to for RG3), and we still get our QB of the future in Tannehill. Also, Tannehill is great for us to develop. He comes from a similar scheme under Mike Sherman, he can learn for a few years under Peyton, and he has outstanding ability as a 6'4", 220 guy that has a strong arm and excellent mobility.

For the Skins, getting Manning without giving up picks is a huge come up. We fix our biggest hole with a HOF player. And he'll be fine with the Shanahans. Mike had no problem with Montana, Young, or Elway. McNabb obviously has work ethic and attitude issues that soured that relationship. With $40 million in cap space, we can bring in Peyton plus improve the offensive line and/or get a lead WR. It also gives us the flexibility to maneuver in the draft to get our future QB and maybe acquire additional picks.

Just imagine an offseason where we sign Peyton, Ben Grubbs, and VJax, move back in the draft to add an extra 2nd, get DeCastro (I'd then slide Chester over to OC) and then take the 2nd we picked up to trade back up into the end of the 1st to get Tannehill. We'd still have a 2nd to target a guy like Fleener (the Gronkowski/Jimmy Graham type of 6'6" TE to replace Cooley) and then get a dynamic, versatile player like LaMichael James in the 3rd.

This is obviously my ideal scenario, but the point is that signing Peyton gives us flexibility, it means we don't have to sink all of our assets into moving up (even though I'd love to for RG3), and we still get our QB of the future in Tannehill. Also, Tannehill is great for us to develop. He comes from a similar scheme under Mike Sherman, he can learn for a few years under Peyton, and he has outstanding ability as a 6'4", 220 guy that has a strong arm and excellent mobility.

This. It's like you've been reading my diary. :)

Manning + Tannehill = Zero Downside

Count me in as one who thinks Tannehill can be a great QB in the league. Unfortunately, I think he'll shoot up the draft charts come combine time.

It's also unfortunate that I keep reading posts that say "I'm not high on Tannehill, but I haven't watched him play." It helps to see some games to make an assessment, no?

It's also unfortunate that I keep reading posts that say "I'm not high on Tannehill, but I haven't watched him play." It helps to see some games to make an assessment, no?

I have no idea how Tannehill will fare against NFL defenses, but if you are simply looking at what he brings physically, it's impressive. He has the arm, mechanics and wheels. The folks that are already dismissing him outright are just silly to me. Likely many of them are the same ones who felt as if Beck was an actual NFL caliber QB and legend in the making.

Would you rather spend 20 mill a year for 3 or 4 years on Peyton or spend the money instead on 2 high caliber FA OL? Me, I'd rather have the lineman. IMO, all is takes is one big hit on Peyton to his neck and the money is gone. I know you could lose an OL to a knee being bent the wrong way but what are the odds that both of the high caliber OL you get in FA have this happen to them versus losing Peyton to any kind of injury. I love Peyton but the neck is a BIG concern for me. If we sign him, we sign him. Yes, I am in the Tannehill camp and hope we select him and can get a decent vet QB instead of Peyton to lead this time. No, not GROSSman another year.

I have no idea how Tannehill will fare against NFL defenses, but if you are simply looking at what he brings physically, it's impressive. He has the arm, mechanics and wheels. The folks that are already dismissing him outright are just silly to me. Likely many of them are the same ones who felt as if Beck was an actual NFL caliber QB and legend in the making.

I totally agree with you. Nobody has a crystal ball, but I at least like to watch guys live before I form an opinion.

As far as Beck goes, I had to pull myself out of that discussion before I lost my mind. I'm pretty sure Shanny played him this year not to see if he was good, but just to make sure that he sucked.:D

If RG3 stays in school and Peyton gets released, this is a no brainer. I do believe that Peyton will be released because there's no way the Colts pay him $28 million dollars less than two months before drafting Andrew Luck. And with the cap implications of both the hit to the Colts and a team being able to absorb Peyton's contract, they can't trade him. Peyton and the Colts will agree to part ways with no hard feelings.

i like the way you think

I personally dont see how any skins fan could be upset with the above scenario.

One would think so wouldn't they?

But if Manning is healthy, I just don't see how the Colts can make him available. Jim Irsay said they wouldn't under those circumstances. How could they just get rid of arguably their greatest player in franchise history (certainly the greatest whoever played in Indianapolis)? That's a black eye for your franchise that will never be removed from your legacy. This time would always be remembered as the year they ran off Peyton Manning.

Hmm sounds like that could of came from a Green Bay fan a few years ago in relation to Brett Favre. I dont see it as so far fetched for indy to decline the option bonus in march and look to the future if indeed they get the 1st pick and Luck is their guy. I agree 100% that navigating allowing Peyton to walk from your team is a tricky situation and not a enviable one at that.

No one is asking whether Manning would even be willing to come here. Take a look at what the Shanahans have done to Veteren QB's since coming here. If you were Manning would you come here? I know I wouldnt. Thats just what Manning needs for the last 3-5 years of his career. A HC and OC who want to change his throwing motion and the way he plays the game. The Shanahans are so vain about their system, that they believe any QB can run it if they will follow instructions. Hence the Grossman/Beck debacle this season. I for one dont see Manning coming within 500 miles of this franchise.

As a side note: I dont want to blast Lavarleap56. But I have seen numerous "inside info" post from him over the past season. I dont really recall any of them becoming reality.

No one is asking whether Manning would even be willing to come here. Take a look at what the Shanahans have done to Veteren QB's since coming here. If you were Manning would you come here? I know I wouldnt. Thats just what Manning needs for the last 3-5 years of his career. A HC and OC who want to change his throwing motion and the way he plays the game. The Shanahans are so vain about their system, that they believe any QB can run it of they will follow instructions. Hence the Grossman/Beck debacle this season. I for one dont see Manning coming within 500 miles of this franchise.

As a side note: I dont want to blast Lavarleap56. But I have seen numerous "inside info" post from him over the past season. I dont really recall any of them becoming reality.

You shouldnt believe everything you hear in the media bro. 5 didnt work here because 5 didnt want to work.

LL has said that Peyton has 28 million coming to him in March. The Colts won't paying him that and pay big bucks for Luck as the #1 if the Colts get the #1 pick. They either have to pay Peyton or release him. That's a ton of money to pay for a #1 and Peyton.

Me neither.

Yeah but it might not really be their call. Colts do have the option to pay the bonus or not and let him be a free agent but i assume a conversasion will take place about draft intentions prior to that decision. Peyton could force his way out of town if they plan to grab Luck. At the end of the day its a comment from a official and a hypothetical scenario in how that could come to happen. Im not saying this is going to happen or wont happen.

For all the talk that "the Colts won't pay Peyton $28 million blah blah," they paid him $26 million this year when they knew his neck was in bad shape

From our own subjective viewpoint here in Washington, it's easy to say Indi should do/will do so and so. I don't think Jim Irsay's personal bond to Peyton Manning + Archie Manning, and specifically what Peyton Manning means to the Indianapolis franchise and community, can be or should be ignored. These emotional ties have a way to overrule what might be the "rational" decision to make.

Im not saying this is going to happen or wont happen.

So...you're back pedaling? :ols: Reading is fundamental. :D

I think it's unfortunate that people tend to "lump" situations together, when they are really not comparable. If someone doesn't want to sign Peyton, because they'd rather sign some OL guys in FA, that's a defendable position. I can see and understand your point of view.

Trying to compare the Manning scenario to the McNabb scenario is like comparing The Bernie Mac Show to The Steve Harvey Show. I can see how you linked the two together...but that's about it.

For all the talk that "the Colts won't pay Peyton $28 million blah blah," they paid him $26 million this year when they knew his neck was in bad shape

They thought he'd play this year, and anyway, they didn't have the option of picking the best QB prospect in at least a decade instead then.

Also, the 28 mil is only his bonus. There's also a 7.4 mil salary.

Peyton Manning is one of the best of all time, there's no denying that. There are a couple things to weigh if we were to do this

First, how well would Aaron Rodgers have worked out had he not been holding the clipboard for a couple years? Do we want to throw our shiny new rookie QB into the wilderness that is the NFL on day one? I mean, we all saw what happened to Ryan Leaf. Mark Sanchez is doing fine but would he better had he come in later? We'll never know. I personally would like to have him sit for a year or two before we move on.

Second, how would a transfer from Petyon Manning to the new guy feel. Brett Favre had a very good year his last year in Green Bay, at least record wise. If Aaron Rodgers doesn't come in and imediatly produce like he did then what is the opinion of him right now? If we signed Peyton Manning he would not fix the franchise day one. We don't have any of the talent the Colts had from a few years ago and Peyton's numbers have been dropping. There are going to be no expectations when this new guy takes over. No pressure, just hope. I wouldn't call that a bad thing.

Third, I don't want the new guy being anywhere near Rex Grossman. If we have a future Hall of Famer at QB then he can at least be a good coach or something. Like I said, Peyton isn't going to fix the franchise.

Lastly, there's cap considerations. I don't think we're going to be making a big Free Agency splash otherwise and it has been managed pretty well up to this point. Why not make at least one move that won't affect us to much in the long term?

Overall, there is no reason not to do it.

So...you're back pedaling? :ols: Reading is fundamental. :D

I think it's unfortunate that people tend to "lump" situations together, when they are really not comparable. If someone doesn't want to sign Peyton, because they'd rather sign some OL guys in FA, that's a defendable position. I can see and understand your point of view.

Trying to compare the Manning scenario to the McNabb scenario is like comparing The Bernie Mac Show to The Steve Harvey Show. I can see how you linked the two together...but that's about it.

haha no not back peddling at all! I think it is clear in the OP and my comments in the thread that the comment " We will be players if he becomes available" is 100% true and verified. The rest of the OP is a hypothetical in how the situation would have to play out for the situation to play its self out for Manning to be in DC. I think it is pretty clearly stated many times in the thread.

I will debate the premise of the article just to facilitate the discussion regardless of how i personally feel.

Yeah but it might not really be their call. Colts do have the option to pay the bonus or not and let him be a free agent but i assume a conversasion will take place about draft intentions prior to that decision. Peyton could force his way out of town if they plan to grab Luck. At the end of the day its a comment from a official and a hypothetical scenario in how that could come to happen. Im not saying this is going to happen or wont happen.
Don't really care all that much about prediction side of things.

I like talking football.

From a pure football logic perspective if Peyton is healthy,a much bigger IF then people realize, but if he's healthy the Colts pay him.

Whatever happens after that happens.

Archived