Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hit a pedestrian with my car last night (with side view mirror).........

Tom [Giants fan]

I felt absolutely awful. I actually hit the guy with my sideview mirror. It was pouring last night and as I made a right turn on a side road, he came out between two cars and I never saw him. My side mirror hit his chest. I pulled over to see if he was okay. He was refusing to call the police or ambulance even though he was clearly in pain until the person he was with convinced him to do so. When I got out of the car, he was standing up against the wall next to where we were.

He didn't speak much English so I couldn't tell how much pain he was in. The cop said he didn't want to file an accident report even though he may have done so today.

In my 23 years of driving this is the first time I have ever hit someone. All I could do was apologize.

The cop actually thanked me for staying and doing the right thing. I don't understand how people can take off after doing something like that. I'm just glad I didn't hurt him worse.

Tom, these things happen! I'm sure the guy is OK and learned a good lesson on how to enter a busy street! Don't be hard on yourself.

Helpful tip for driving in inclement weather - I use rain-X on ALL my widows AND mirrors. It makes a huge difference! The stuff works so well that I usually don't even need to use my wipers!

Hope your feeling better, I can tell by how you are here, that you are probably in more pain than that other guy!

I'm sorry to hear that Tom. It must have been horrible.

I bike a lot and have been doored, nearly run over, sideswiped, etc. It's amazing the range of reactions you get from drivers. It goes from people like you who are concerned for the person they hit all the way to people who go on the attack or just drive off. Glad you're one of the good ones.

;8739127']

I don't understand how people can take off after doing something like that.

I kind of know what you mean. I almost hit a person on a bike yesterday. She just kept going through the Red Light/Don't Walk. I just don't know what I would have did with myself if I had hit her. Even though it wasn't my fault, I still would have been devastated....

Sorry to hear that. I once opened my driver's side door and hit the back wheel of a bicyclist. I felt awful and apologized many times. Dude got up, look pissed, and rode away. A week later, I came home from a bar to see this in my windshield.

a4ne42.jpg

Guess he got his revenge :/

;8739127']He was refusing to call the police or ambulance

He didn't speak much English

The cop said he didn't want to file an accident report

An illegal' date=' maybe?

;8739127']I don't understand how people can take off after doing something like that

Yeah it sucks. I can imagine though...say you hit the guy full on. Initial panic, keep going..thinking of your life instantly going down the tubes because of an accident..then after you calm down, you've now already run..you can't go back..it's not right but I can see how some people might react with a flight response.

Don't feel bad Tom - not your fault. There have been a bunch of stories in Richmond lately about people jaywalking and getting hit.

I guess part of the dumbing down of society in general is people don't know how to cross the street anymore.

People suck at crossing the road in Richmond. I'm a VCU student and I know how bad our students are at cutting in front of traffic and having no respect for the rules of the road. Bikers are the worse. The students on bikes constantly nearly hit people walking around on campus and at least one gets hit by a car every semester because they ride like idiots.

I hit pedestrian once. I was turning left, with a green arrow and a pedestrian was crossing the street in an area where you can't do it. I remember when it happened, things went in slow motion.

I was never cited, since it wasn't my fault and witnesses told police there was no way I could avoided it.

I think the person was an illegal because I never heard anything after that. If they weren't; then I probably would've heard from a lawyer.

I hit a pedestrian in a crosswalk once, I was stopped at a red light turning right, looked both ways but there was a tree to my right and when I looked right the pedestrian was behind it, so I took my foot off the brake to slowly roll forward and hit him. I helped him out and he asked me to take him home after I asked to take him to the hospital so I did and gave him my insurance info and my license plate number. Cops called me later that day telling me they werent going to charge me since I helped the guy and drove him home when he asked me to but told me I should have stayed at the scene. I felt horrible for the guy, still do even though nothing came of it.

I once opened my car door in a bad rainstorm and a cyclist flew into my door. He had me call an ambulance, and the conversation was pretty much identical. There were two cops watching when it happened, and they were encouraging me just to leave the whole time, since they said I wasn't liable. I just wanted to make sure the guy was ok. Very strange...

;8739127']

The cop actually thanked me for staying and doing the right thing. I don't understand how people can take off after doing something like that. I'm just glad I didn't hurt him worse.

Yeah every time I hear of "hit and runs" I just don't understand it. How does someone drive away, go home, and move on with their life not knowing the fate of the person they hit. Glad the guy was okay; you did the right thing. Many *******s out there would have stepped on the gas in a panic and taken off.

This reminds me of a story. One time after work, I went out and had a few beers. I was driving (although I shouldn't have been) down a dirt road that night when I hit a kid. I got out to check on him and sure enough, he was dead. So, I drove off... pretty fast.

An hour later I wrote Sweet Caroline.

This reminds me of a story. One time after work, I went out and had a few beers. I was driving (although I shouldn't have been) down a dirt road that night when I hit a kid. I got out to check on him and sure enough, he was dead. So, I drove off... pretty fast.

Swing and a miss. Not even close. :doh:

I hit a pedestrian one time a few years ago. I was approaching a red light and was in the far right turning lane when from between two cars a guy ran right into me and all I saw was a face plant on my windshield and then the guy rolled down the side of my truck. He was not in the crosswalk and I was not speeding. My skid marks clearly showed that I turned right hard at the impact spot. I got out and ran back to the guy who was seriously injured. He had an quick developing egg on his head and multiple broken bones, hip, leg etc. He tried to get up right away and I held him down until the ambulance came.

The lesson here though is that when the Florida State trooper approached me, he immediately went nose to nose and sniffed me. It was three in the afternoon, but this dog was hunting for intoxication. His dog walked my truck. I just wonder what would have happened to me if I had a beer or two, or smoked back in the day? The man worked for Bud and was running across eight lanes on a busy highway going from one store to the next and was rushing to make a tee time. He was the area GM/President for the local distributor. He rehabbed and is okay, but it took awhile as his injuries were serious. I had nightmares of his face for weeks. The damage to my truck was pretty extensive. Broken windshield, mirror and dented front fender as well as paint work. My insurance paid for it and tried to hit me with a claim. I argued that they made that choice and the accident report and witnesses showed my innocence. I eventually got it as a no claim and moved on. It was a difficult time as I remember it now.

And remember the cross walk just a few more feet up is always worth the walk.

What a waste of a post.....

Tom don't be to hard on yourself, you did everything you could.

Ah. Little will Ferrell as Neil Diamond. Pulled that one out of the archives. Ummm. Understand the attempt,but ill timing I think.

Archived