Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

X-Box360 or Playstation3

AsburySkinsFan

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Ok, we'll be buying one or the other for my 9 year old son, and I can't figure out which one to get him. He wants games that look better than the wii so both fit that but I want to know which has the best games play and isn't going to break the bank as I expand the playing features (memory, motion etc).

Alright gamers voting will open soon.

Wii. Lol it's funny that at 9 he cares most about graphics.

He definitely sees the difference between the graphics on the wii and the X-Box & PS3, now when he goes to the store he heads for the PS3 and the X-Box360, when we look up potential games for the wii he is constantly disappointed with the difference in graphics on the same game between the 360/PS3 and on the wii. Plus the games he wants are geared toward some older kids not Mature rating obviously but he's passed the cartoonish wii games.

Nice hyphen. You know how I know you're old? Just kidding.

But anyway, I'm a Playstation guy and have been since day one with the PSX. I have seen absolutely nothing to cause me to even consider to switch over to the Xbox. I would recommend the PS3 to anyone. Reasons would be the Bluray player, much lower system failure rate, a more powerful system and I think the exclusives are much better.

Are you going to let him play online? If so, XBOX is the better buy. But XBOX Live is an extra $50.

Probably not, I don't even allow him to have accounts on the computer through like WoW and Wizards101

---------- Post added November-24th-2011 at 09:48 PM ----------

Nice hyphen. You know how I know you're old? Just kidding.

I guess it doesn't have a hyphen? Does that make me old or just that I'm buying for my 9 year old?

The PS3 is a better buy if you won't let him play online for now. Although I'm not sure what exclusives you can get him to play that are OK for his age. My favorites are God of War and Heavy Rain, neither which can be played by a 9 year old. Same goes for Uncharted, although I don't remember it being very graphic (could be? I've only played the first one).

The PS3 has MLB: The Show franchise which is IMO the best sports game right now. Great fun for baseball fans and the visuals are mind blowing.

The PS3 is a better buy if you won't let him play online for now. Although I'm not sure what exclusives you can get him to play that are OK for his age. My favorites are God of War and Heavy Rain, neither which can be played by a 9 year old. Same goes for Uncharted, although I don't remember it being very graphic (could be? I've only played the first one).

The PS3 has MLB: The Show franchise which is IMO the best sports game right now. Great fun for baseball fans and the visuals are mind blowing.

LittleBigPlanet and Ratchet & Clank come to mind.

---------- Post added November-24th-2011 at 10:42 PM ----------

These, plus MLB, and the lack of online requirement would suggest PS3 as a strong choice.

And the Blu-ray player is a nice bonus.

We have all three consoles and the reason the Xbox gets the lion's share of play is Live.

ASF, Are you planning on buying a new system anytime soon ?

(BTW it was the hyphen) :D

Blu-ray players are cheap these days. Does he need a blu-ray ?

The best advice I can give you is to find out what his friends play on so they can play the same games online obviously.

Both systems are headed towards an update probably 2013, but I know the XBox online is better...much better.

XBox Live at 50 bucks is cost per year. Easy fix. Convince a relative to just re-up them for the year for a birthday or holiday. And 50 bucks is pretty cheap for the available option.

He loves baseball and is getting better at the more complex games, he is really liking "The Bigs" on the wii right now when before it was all "Backyard Baseball" which is very cartoonish. When he sees the PS3 graphics on the baseball games he loves the way they look so I think that's a plus.

He had Ratchet & Clank on the PS2 and loved it so much that he traded one in on another R&C game which he still plays, so keeping that franchise is a real plus IMO and from what I understand there is a new one coming out, but I could be wrong.

Are you planning on buying a new system anytime soon ?

If you mean like a PS4 or something then no, but this one will be for Christmas.

Blu-ray players are cheap these days. Does he need a blu-ray ?

It will be going on the 46" in the living room and that can certainly use a blu-ray.

The best advice I can give you is to find out what his friends play on so they can play the same games online obviously.

Actually, I think most of them have both, but online play won't be happening anytime soon.

---------- Post added November-25th-2011 at 12:02 AM ----------

Gott a get him trained up for Tribal Wars!! Not sure what the age rating is for that??? MA30? :ols:

Tribal Wars is rated OF (Old Fart).

I'm really curious as to what games he wants to play on the 360/PS3 that you'll allow him to play. Most of the better games on those systems are more mature games.

But if you do insist on buying him one, then PS3 is probably the best option as you mentioned that it will be on a big TV that does not currently have a bluray player. And really, for the most part, those two consoles share their best games, so that shouldn't be too big a deal.

someone mentioned failure rate of 360's...is it just me or is that like 2008 news? i thought ms had that fixed?

http://www.lensoftruth.com/xbox-360-failure-rate-is-the-highest-among-consoles-in-2011/

My point still stands. And it was something I mentioned among other things, so lets not act like I was sitting here trumpeting the red ring of death and stuck in 2008 when the failure rate was > 50%

Archived