Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

X-Box360 or Playstation3

AsburySkinsFan

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Ok, we'll be buying one or the other for my 9 year old son, and I can't figure out which one to get him. He wants games that look better than the wii so both fit that but I want to know which has the best games play and isn't going to break the bank as I expand the playing features (memory, motion etc).

Alright gamers voting will open soon.

Given that this is for your 9-year-old son, the PS3's the only way to go. Although I personally prefer the 360, my preference comes from the fact that its exclusive games are much, much better. However, most of the 360's exclusives are Rated M, and something tells me you wouldn't want your son playing those games. Go with the PS3; with this console you get the Little Big Planet and Uncharted franchises as exclusives (the Uncharted games are quite good, and I think they're only rated T; your son will love the Little Big Planet games).

I'm really curious as to what games he wants to play on the 360/PS3 that you'll allow him to play. Most of the better games on those systems are more mature games.

We play a lot of sports games, racing games, superhreo, games like Ratchet & Clank, skate boarding, some fighting games like the 1 vs 1 Mortal Combat style...gore settings on strict though, airplane games etc, the only one's I don't allow him to play are the GTA type games, military combat (MW3, Black Ops), Assassin's Creed, Lord of War etc. Those I know are the most popular but I believe in video game desensitization (another thread topic).

But if you do insist on buying him one, then PS3 is probably the best option as you mentioned that it will be on a big TV that does not currently have a bluray player. And really, for the most part, those two consoles share their best games, so that shouldn't be too big a deal.

That's what I have been leaning toward and it seems to be being confirmed.

people need to clarify why they say the XBox is FAR better, and not just state your opinion. XBox is only better than PS3 when comparing the online pay since you pay to access XBOX servers, which are very well maintained. PS3 does not charge for online access, and as a result, there are lag issues with some online games, but if your son is not playing any online games, then this is a moot point and your are left to compare the 2 systems for what they can do.

If you don't go online with the X Box, you are left with a game system that can only play XBox games, where as the PS3 gives you a blu ray player that is one of the best blu ray players available today, and gives you free access to the playstation store, where you can download games, movies & TV shows (which you have to pay for unless they offer them for free). Also, the cheaper $149 XBox's they have out now come with 4GB hard drive, compared to the minimum 80GB hard drive you get with the $199 PS3. You can spend more on either system to get a bigger hard drive, which comes in handy if you end up downloading games from a either XBox live or the playstation store, but with 1 hour of HD video = 1GB, and decent games being as much as 5GB, the 4GB Xbox will not hold much of anything.

When I bought my PS3, I never thought I would download any video, music or anything other games, but now I have a few movies and TV shows, 2 free games Sony gave out as a sorry for the network outage, and essentially use the PS3 as my media server and now wish I bought one with a bigger hard drive. In terms of online gaming, X Box wins hands down since the connection will always be good, but once you get past that, cleary the PS3 is the better overall system, not to mention they have more kid friendly games like Little Big Planet.

EDIT: if you still have a hard time deciding, ask your son what his friends have, since he will most likely want to either play with them or play the same game his friends have.

I have the xbox 360. Here is why: I already own blu-ray players, so not a selling point. The #1 reason is that the Xbox dashbaord is 1,000,000x better than the PS3 dashboard. The interface is just plain ugly on the PS3. I am getting a kinect for C-mas for my kids and the kinect enabled xbox interface is going to make that difference even greater.

---------- Post added November-25th-2011 at 12:48 PM ----------

Given the lack of online requirement I'd say PS3 is the way to go. You mentioned you guys play racing games, too. Gran Turismo 5 is the ultimate, imo, and will keep you guys busy for months.

GT5 (in fact the whole series) is amazing. However Forza isn't that bad and is probably the 2nd best racing game.

---------- Post added November-25th-2011 at 12:50 PM ----------

someone mentioned failure rate of 360's...is it just me or is that like 2008 news? i thought ms had that fixed?

This was indeed fixed. The failure rate after 1st gen 360's is significantly down.

---------- Post added November-25th-2011 at 12:55 PM ----------

Ok, we'll be buying one or the other for my 9 year old son, and I can't figure out which one to get him. He wants games that look better than the wii so both fit that but I want to know which has the best games play and isn't going to break the bank as I expand the playing features (memory, motion etc).

Alright gamers voting will open soon.

As far as motion goes, Ps3 is significantly behind Wii and Xbox. I am not sure why... It seems that Kinect has begun to take off and will support Tiger Woods and Madden next year. Wii continues to sell but it is last gen graphics.

When I bought my PS3, I never thought I would download any video, music or anything other games, but now I have a few movies and TV shows, 2 free games Sony gave out as a sorry for the network outage, and essentially use the PS3 as my media server and now wish I bought one with a bigger hard drive.

My 120Gb PS3 is almost maxed out on the HDD. You can always do like me and use an extenal HDD for your media and whatnot. It works great!!!

My bad. I'm just so used to the whole "console wars"/fanboys thing, I figure people to act a certain way. Jumped to conclusions on you and projected that on to you.

no, i never got the console warfare. i like my console. i'm pretty sure if i had a ps3, i'd like that too. lol

no worries man. i kinda figured that's what it was. :cheers:

• 1 month later...

I haven't used my ps3 in forever... primarily b/c I have been so busy.

I just opened an email from the PS3 store out of curiosity and now I'll definitely be getting on the PS3 again.

PS3 has Shadow of Colossus in HD now for $19.99. This is one of the best games I ever played on the ps2 and if any of you have never played it, I highly recommend it. I wouldn't be surprised if it's available on the xbox360 as well.

Also, as an admitting, complete Final Fantasy series nerd... Final Fantasy XIII-2 will be out in about 2 weeks. \m/

Both. .

best answer by far. There are fan boys for each side. Both consoles have pros, and not many cons. I'm a PS3 guy myself, but I wouldnt' mind having an xbox as well.

360 has party chat and xbox live, which are really neat features. This could be argued, but a lot of people consider 360 to have better exclusives than PS3. Tech support and online gaming experience is better on 360 (they pay for it though), and there is a larger amount of people online.

PS3 has a blu-ray player, internet brower (i stream movies online with it), and blu tooth wireless headset capability (360 requires a chord for ALL headsets I believe). And from what I've read, the PS3 hardware itself is MUCH better than 360. PS3 has never had any major issues with "red light of death" or anything like 360 did in the past. You can play games online FOR FREE with PS3.

i'm probably wrong about a lot though and i'm sure folks will be eager to quote me and correct me :)

There are plenty of wireless headsets for the 360. The hardware differences aren't enough to give an advantage, they are both extremely outdated. As far as I know there aren't any RROD problems with any xbox made after 2007. (and if there were, microsoft had my xbox back working again in less than 6 days from the RROD for free). The PS3 had a similar issue involving a yellow light of death, but that was also solved long ago.

Both are great systems. If Blueray is important to you, the PS3 is great, but blueray players are cheap now anyways. If you play online at all, LIVE is the way to go. If you are 6'4 and have large hands, the 360 controller is a lot nicer. If you are patient, there should be a new xbox released within the next 2 years.

Huh, you learn something every day. Good to see 360 is wireless. Those things are so clutch. I take out the trash and use the bathroom in between rounds so i can still talk **** to the kiddies LOL.

Maybe because I've been a playstation guy since the first generation, but that 360 controller is terrible. But i understand that xb0x folks say the same thing about PS3 so i guess it all evens out :ols:

i was wondering when the next generations were coming out. the new xbox console is supposedly going to be a year or so ahead of next playstation console though, right?

Correct. It's That or Playstation is really keeping the next gen under wraps.

I had the PS and PS2. I loved them. They had the best controllers of the time. Switched to a 360 controller and will never go back as long as the PS3 ones stay small.

I just opened an email from the PS3 store out of curiosity and now I'll definitely be getting on the PS3 again.

PS3 has Shadow of Colossus in HD now for $19.99. This is one of the best games I ever played on the ps2 and if any of you have never played it, I highly recommend it. I wouldn't be surprised if it's available on the xbox360 as well.

Also, as an admitting, complete Final Fantasy series nerd... Final Fantasy XIII-2 will be out in about 2 weeks. \m/

Team Ico, the developer of Shadow of the Colossus, is owned by Sony. It's a playstation exclusive.

I think I'm the only person in the world who didn't really like Shadow of the Colossus. I just thought it was boring.

Correct. It's That or Playstation is really keeping the next gen under wraps.

I had the PS and PS2. I loved them. They had the best controllers of the time. Switched to a 360 controller and will never go back as long as the PS3 ones stay small.

Dude i was the same way. I loved PS2 and it took me a long time to get used to the 360 controller.

Just a week or so ago i was wasting time at a Best Buy and tried playing PS3, i couldn't even remember how to grip the stupid controller. :ols:

I dont think i could ever go back to that style of controller.

Blasphemy!!! The playstation controller never gets changed because its already perfect!

Playstation's controller is the biggest piece of crap I've ever held in my hand. The triggers are pathetic let alone the position of the analog joysticks. I like to hold a controller with some girth to it and for it to feel natural as I'm holding it, not a 2oz piece of plastic.

Archived