Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I'm fully convinced that play calling on offense is not the problem....

authentic

Playing calling is not the problem -- agreed. We are so handicapped by our QB position (Beck or Grossman) there is nothing we can do with the play calls. I think we just let Beck play out the season, hope he develops and learns to become a serviceable backup and get ourselves into prime position to take our guy in the draft.

you could put beck at center in green bay and id bet money they dont score 16 points a game lol.

16 would be pretty lucky I think. They certainly have talent at WR in GB but Rodgers is the engine for the whole thing; it revolves around him. It isn't like he doesn't get pressured and sacked; he was sacked 4 times today and still managed to toss 4 TDs and have a comp % over 80. Their OL isn't anything special. They are alright but far from dominant. The reason they can be that way and still put up huge numbers is because of how damn good Rodgers is as seeing the field, going through progressions quickly, and getting the ball out fast to the right person at the exact right spot. Add in the way he is able to avoid pressure and extend plays with his feet and you can see why he is the best QB in the NFL right now.

16 would be pretty lucky I think. They certainly have talent at WR in GB but Rodgers is the engine for the whole thing; it revolves around him. It isn't like he doesn't get pressured and sacked; he was sacked 4 times today and still managed to toss 4 TDs and have a comp % over 80. Their OL isn't anything special. They are alright but far from dominant. The reason they can be that way and still put up huge numbers is because of how damn good Rodgers is as seeing the field, going through progressions quickly, and getting the ball out fast to the right person at the exact right spot. Add in the way he is able to avoid pressure and extend plays with his feet and you can see why he is the best QB in the NFL right now.

until we get a guy close to that we arent going to compete. i dont expect us to find the next rodgers, but we need a real QB in here.

Now if the Redskins can manage to lose this upcoming week @ Miami then they should get the hardest loss out of the way. Then they are looking at all L's till the vikings if they can somehow get lucky and lose that game then ef ya @ a 3-13 record and a good draft pick. The Redskins dont have a shot in hell at getting a playoff chance so i dont see the point of winning.

I'd love to see the Skins get a shot at a great, elite QB in the draft, but don't forget the other side of that equation. If the Skins go 3-13, then Shanahan limps into next season on the hot seat (forget what you're hearing about a 5-year deal - Steve Spurrier had a 5-year deal and only lasted 2 years, Schottenheimer also had a 5-year deal and he lasted 1 year). That level of failure will create dysfunction in the organization I think scared, paranoid, dysfunctional organizations make bad decisions. I just don't trust Dan Snyder enough to believe that he'd be okay with Shanahan going from 6 wins to 3 wins. To be fair, there are a lot of owners other than Dan Snyder who wouldn't tolerate that either and would have their coach on a very short leash going into that next season if they even chose to retain him at all. .

That argument doesn't hold water when you have stone cold rookies like Cam Newton,Andy Dalton and Ponder playing better than Beck, who's been in numerous camps and has had more practice time in his career than either of them.

The only thing Beck will get better at is the 5 yard dump pass to the back because he cannot see the field.

Says it all right there.

can anyone honestly tell me they think beck is capable of leading this offense to 1 win this season?

Yes.

So much is made about "oh, he's 0-7 as a starter". That means he's only played 7 games. Less than half a season. One less game than Bengals' rookie Andy Dalton.

"Well, if he was any good, he'd have started more games". Look where he played before. He wasn't in a position to be good/great and he certainly wasn't in a position to improve much.

Even the great Peyton Manning was 3-13 in his rookie year, which is basically where Beck is. (I am in no way comparing him to Manning, other than experience). As the season progresses, he will improve. He needs time. He's not the future (but the future sure as hell isn't Rex Grossman, either). But he will get better, and he will lead us to at least 1-2 wins before the season ends. MIA, DAL, SEA and MIN are all possible wins.

And save the "we have no chance, ever, ever, ever with Beck starting" garbage. Any given Sunday. Rex is not much better, so there's little point in putting him back in anyway.

If we lose, we lose. But if we play better as the season moves along, I'll be happy enough with that for the 2011 season.

---------- Post added November-7th-2011 at 03:00 AM ----------

And the "Suck for Luck" people need to grow up. We've been bad pretty much since the mid-90s. Losing intentionally is never, under any circumstances, an acceptable practice. People want to cut corners to greatness. "If we suck badly enough, we can get a guy who sets us up at QB for the next 10-15 years". That's loser talk.

If we draft #1 overall, great. If we pick #20, so be it. If that's where we land, it's because it's what we earned. I have no respect for anyone who wouldn't give it their all on the field for us. Luckily for me, and those who agree with that opinion, Mike Shanahan's ego is not going to allow for such nonsense.

You earn what you earn, you get what you get and you move on from there. If we don't like the spot we end up with, we can trade to get the one we want. I don't want to see my team lay down and roll over for ANY player or ANY reason. Ever...

I don't think the Shanahans deserve a break for the pathetic play of the Redskins. For example, we got beat by a rookie coach who was smart enough to do the following:

"The club arrived in the Washington area on Friday and spent the extra day watching the changing of the guard at Arlington National Cemetery."

Having both my parents buried in Arlington National Cemetery, and having watched the changing of the guard hundreds of times, I believe that Harbaugh was brilliant for doing this. In my opinion, everyone who is a Redskins fan would be wise to learn this value.

Has either Shanahan ever considered the value of Arlington National Cemetery?

Even the great Peyton Manning was 3-13 in his rookie year, which is basically where Beck is. (I am in no way comparing him to Manning, other than experience). As the season progresses, he will improve. He needs time. He's not the future (but the future sure as hell isn't Rex Grossman, either). But he will get better, and he will lead us to at least 1-2 wins before the season ends. MIA, DAL, SEA and MIN are all possible wins.
Opposing defenses will also get better at defending him. And with no deep threat whatsoever and questionable pocket presence it won't be too hard for them.

Has either Shanahan ever considered the value of Arlington National Cemetery?

I can't say, but I can say that I'm pretty certain it would have no effect on their coaching either way.

---------- Post added November-7th-2011 at 03:33 AM ----------

And the "Suck for Luck" people need to grow up. We've been bad pretty much since the mid-90s. Losing intentionally is never, under any circumstances, an acceptable practice. People want to cut corners to greatness. "If we suck badly enough, we can get a guy who sets us up at QB for the next 10-15 years". That's loser talk.

If we draft #1 overall, great. If we pick #20, so be it. If that's where we land, it's because it's what we earned. I have no respect for anyone who wouldn't give it their all on the field for us. Luckily for me, and those who agree with that opinion, Mike Shanahan's ego is not going to allow for such nonsense.

You earn what you earn, you get what you get and you move on from there. If we don't like the spot we end up with, we can trade to get the one we want. I don't want to see my team lay down and roll over for ANY player or ANY reason. Ever...

Its funny that you seem to imply here that this team has to TRY to lose. That they have to tank purposely to lose games. That it needs to be a conspiracy.

Its funny that you seem to imply here that this team has to TRY to lose. That they have to tank purposely to lose games. That it needs to be a conspiracy.

If we lose just because we CAN'T win, so be it. If we lose because we don't put forth the effort, every person in the organization needs to go. Period.

If we lose just because we CAN'T win, so be it. If we lose because we don't put forth the effort, every person in the organization needs to go. Period.

I can agree with that, if there was somehow some plan to purposely lose. Since there obviously isn't, I'm not really sure what you're saying. Of course that would be a bad thing. I saw plenty of effort today, and every game under Shanahan. We just aren't good. Sometimes, its that simple.

Opposing defenses will also get better at defending him. And with no deep threat whatsoever and questionable pocket presence it won't be too hard for them.

Exactly, but that's why they play the games.

Until I'm proven wrong, week by week, I refuse to believe that we can't/won't improve and win a couple more games at least.

---------- Post added November-7th-2011 at 03:47 AM ----------

I can agree with that, if there was somehow some plan to purposely lose. Since there obviously isn't, I'm not really sure what you're saying. Of course that would be a bad thing. I saw plenty of effort today, and every game under Shanahan. We just aren't good. Sometimes, its that simple.

I'm just saying that the fans of the team openly rooting for us to lose out pisses me off to no end. Not calling out "real fans" or any of that silly stuff. I understand their logic, but I can't disagree with it more.

To me, losing now to won later is like selling crack to get money to open a rehab center. Just isn't right to me.

I'm just saying that the fans of the team openly rooting for us to lose out pisses me off to no end. Not calling out "real fans" or any of that silly stuff. I understand their logic, but I can't disagree with it more.

Fair enough. It just seemed that your post was directed partially at the team, as if they do anything BUT work their asses off all game to win and keep their jobs every week. We're just not that talented yet, and most importantly, we don't have the most necessary cog in the machine in a QB. To think that Shanahan allows anyone on the field for this team who isn't giving it their all would be crazy, in my opinion. Hell, he barely let Haynesworth on the field, and he brought a $100 million contract and a media circus with him. There's nobody on this team now with that kind of pay or controversial presence. To think he'd swing the other way and allow even a single lolly-gagger on the field for us is unrealistic. There's a reason that every single one of his draft picks here has pretty much held to a very specific formula: experienced, leader, over-achiever, excellent student, etc. We don't have a single player on this team that's talented enough to get on the field without meeting Shanahan's minimum requirements. And even if we did, he's proven that he doesn't care.

To me, losing now to won later is like selling crack to get money to open a rehab center. Just isn't right to me.

I agree, hearing fans cheer a loss pisses me off too, but I've come to terms and figured there's millions of fans, and no fan really has the right to tell another fan how to fan...or something.

The real problem is the players. Not a single one of them is 'okay' with losing for a higher draft pick, and between Moss defending Rex and Gaffney very clearly pissed at Beck today... the guys don't believe in him. That's the worst way to take the field next Sunday, Beck would have to be PHENOMENAL to get the team on board with him. The players are pissed.

Shanny made a decision to load up on defense in the draft last year and it shows dividends. The D is much better than last year, The offense, not so much. True, he got some guys in Hankerson and Helu and maybe even Hurt, but no one who can impact the offense early. All require seasoning. The quality of last year's draft (i.e. the first and second round picks) was the players acquired on D. Next year whether it's QB or WR or OL, Shanny will pick up two of the impact players he needs. With a little luck, he may even find a third or fouth round player who makes a start or two. Yes the offense is terrible. But it looked just like last year's offense with another year and basically, the same personnel minus Rabach and McNabb. Did anyone expect anything radically different? Next year, I expect the focus of the draft to be on offense, and whether it's QB, WR or OL in the first two rounds, it'll be a better offense.

This thread is about the offensive play calling. Which I thought, for the most part yesterday, was ok. And the game plan actually was pretty good. They really went all "west coasty" on us. They substituted the short pass for the run against a team that's very stout against the run. You almost have to count the screen passes and the other dump offs to Helu as extended handoffs. And if you do that, they were pretty balanced.

And for those people who say that the play calling was conservative, that's not true either. The offense had players running down the field. Sometimes they were covered, other times not, but the ball never flew more than 20 yards.

Some of that is that the protection wasn't great all the time. But not all of it. I thought that the line did a decent job, at times, but Beck isn't quick enough to recognize the 1-1 match-up pre-snap, look off a safety/LB for a split second, come back to the primary read, and throw the ball. And if it's not there, go somewhere else.

One thing to keep in mind is that this is John Beck's like what, 5th start? He's a virtual rookie. And he didn't have an off season to practice.

But again, I'm not going to put this one on offensive play calling or coaching. The scheme is sound, and the play calling was fine.

This thread is about the offensive play calling. Which I thought, for the most part yesterday, was ok. And the game plan actually was pretty good. They really went all "west coasty" on us. They substituted the short pass for the run against a team that's very stout against the run. You almost have to count the screen passes and the other dump offs to Helu as extended handoffs. And if you do that, they were pretty balanced.

And for those people who say that the play calling was conservative, that's not true either. The offense had players running down the field. Sometimes they were covered, other times not, but the ball never flew more than 20 yards.

Some of that is that the protection wasn't great all the time. But not all of it. I thought that the line did a decent job, at times, but Beck isn't quick enough to recognize the 1-1 match-up pre-snap, look off a safety/LB for a split second, come back to the primary read, and throw the ball. And if it's not there, go somewhere else.

One thing to keep in mind is that this is John Beck's like what, 5th start? He's a virtual rookie. And he didn't have an off season to practice.

But again, I'm not going to put this one on offensive play calling or coaching. The scheme is sound, and the play calling was fine.

i agree with all of this, which makes you a genius :)

is that true, that beck didnt throw a pass more than 20 yards? sheesh.

Archived