Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I'm fully convinced that play calling on offense is not the problem....

authentic

I'm not being emotional at all. In fact, I'm about as disconnected from this team emotionally than I have been in seasons.

The fact is, none of those players would sniff the field on New England, Green Bay, New Orleans and the other top tier offenses. Slight chance with Davis, but that's about it. I'm not saying dump them though. The rookies need to be given time. Davis is a starting TE in the league, he shouldn't have to be the focal point of an offense though. We obviously need a QB. He needs options better than Moss, Gaffney, Armstrong and a few rookies though. He needs more to an offensive line than Trent Williams and a couple pieces of swiss cheese.

Keep the youth, develop them. Shed the dead weight though and replace them with younger, more driven players.

I can feel your pain. The coaching sucks.

It is but the playcalling is getting players open. So its not Kyle's fault imho.

completely agree i don't want to hear theres no talent Leonard Hankerson is statistically the best qb in the history of the U which is saying something Fred Davis was the best TE out his class and Helu is a speed demon

It must be too hard to tell that Beck is the main reason for the suckage we are witnessing. Also this is a rebuild, it will get uglier before it gets better at least with beck in there.
The picture I posted above shows that this isn't what Mike Shanahan expected the team to be. He should have started rebuilding last season when he got here and not a year later. I'm not saying get rid of him but his decisions robbed the Redskins from a QB and made some minor setbacks to rebuilding the team by trading for McNabb and failing to get a long term replacement he traded him to Minnesota.

I agree mostly. But the weapons around beck are serviceable. A QB who could read a defense and go through his progressions would make everyone on this offense look better. I agree we need a few more pieces on the OLine. Brown and Chester arent impressive in my opinion. Hurt needs more playing time. Team like Green Bay and new England have developed their own talent and qbs like Brady make guys like welker and Gronkowski look elite.

That's what I'm saying. If guys are open all over the field, they're doing their job. We don't have world beaters, true, but this "OH GOD, WE'RE AWFUL ON EVERY LEVEL!" is getting silly. Beck had time to throw today. Beck had guys running open. And Beck didn't make the throws necessary to succeed. The best teams in the league have the luxury of developing guys slowly. We just have to put everyone out there and hope for the best. But for two weeks now, the plays have been there on the field. If the quarterback doesn't make them, everyone looks like crap.

The picture I posted above shows that this isn't what Mike Shanahan expected the team to be. He should have started rebuilding last season when he got here and not a year later. I'm not saying get rid of him but his decisions robbed the Redskins from a QB and made some minor setbacks to rebuilding the team by trading for McNabb and failing to get a long term replacement he traded him to Minnesota.

I think that Mike believed that acquiring a QB in McNabb was his first step in rebuilding, he would have had his QB slot locked up for the (at least) 5 seasons that he was here for. He had the most important piece of his team all set with McNabb. Skip ahead a year and a half and we see that McNabb was truly suck and we lost draft picks because of it. Luckily though, we lost draft picks last season when the QB class wasn't great. This season's QB class is supposed to be one of the best in years, so it isn't as bad as it could be.

i agree that the play calling is not the problem. i think the problem on this team rests solely on the shoulders of JOHN BECK. Here is what I noticed from him:

-Panics in the pocket when it starts to break down, doesn't slide left/right to avoid rush. Takes sack or throws the check down immediately. The protection wasn't great in the Buffalo game but it wasn't that bad today and he still didn't look comfortable.

-Locks into one receiver and does not go through progression of deep - middle and check-down. I can count a number of plays where he IMMEDIATELY checked down without even letting the play develop

-Does not possess great arm strength to make intermediate/deep throws. Can you point to one throw where you were like wow, strong throw? Even his intermediate throws were when receivers are sitting in the zone with a wobbly spiral.

I know Rex Grossman isn't much better but I think he has more awareness than john beck and although his arm isn't great, he can still throw it with confidence down the field. I was guilty of asking for john beck when rex had 4 INTs. but I don't see any progression in john beck and won't even want to keep him as a backup qb at this point.

/done ranting

That's what I'm saying. If guys are open all over the field, they're doing their job. We don't have world beaters, true, but this "OH GOD, WE'RE AWFUL ON EVERY LEVEL!" is getting silly. Beck had time to throw today. Beck had guys running open. And Beck didn't make the throws necessary to succeed. The best teams in the league have the luxury of developing guys slowly. We just have to put everyone out there and hope for the best. But for two weeks now, the plays have been there on the field. If the quarterback doesn't make them, everyone looks like crap.

That begs the question:

Do we keep Beck in and tank the season or do we go with Grossman and try and make the playoffs?

beck needs to jump to throw balls over the line. QB's need to be able to pass over the line regardless of play calls. Beck is missing open receivers in the short game. at least we didnt try to make him go deep, a step towards working with him to his strengths.

Its so bad we cant even go back to grossman... i beg to differ..

That begs the question:

Do we keep Beck in and tank the season or do we go with Grossman and try and make the playoffs?

as a die hard fan, i want us to go with grossman and try to make the playoffs until we are mathematically eliminated. he gives us a better chance to win. I do not believe in tanking the season.

I think that Mike believed that acquiring a QB in McNabb was his first step in rebuilding, he would have had his QB slot locked up for the (at least) 5 seasons that he was here for. He had the most important piece of his team all set with McNabb. Skip ahead a year and a half and we see that McNabb was truly suck and we lost draft picks because of it. Luckily though, we lost draft picks last season when the QB class wasn't great. This season's QB class is supposed to be one of the best in years, so it isn't as bad as it could be.

Exactly.

I keep saying this, over and over again; Mike wasn't looking for his franchise quarterback with McNabb. He wasn't hoping he could turn Beck to Grossman into a franchise quarterbacks. Mike's looking for his Jake Plummer. Period. He's looking for a veteran guy who can hold down the fort for a little while he trains up his rookie. As it turns out, it's hard to do what he did with Jake Plummer in the NFL today, particularly when you don't have the run game to hide it.

He really doesn't want to have to start a rookie quarterback right away, so he's been trying to find the veteran guy to bridge the gap. As it turns out, one guy had a crappy attitude, one guy is wildly inconsistent, and the other guy flat out sucks. So it looks like he's going to HAVE to start a rookie next season.

The Shanahans are making the talent decisions for their play calling scheme.

What options did they have? McNabb clearly was the wrong choice. Perhaps Christian Ponder in the draft or another QB... But, other than that.... I think they are realizing this as we type. I think the reality of lack of talent on offense is sinking in... I can only hope.

Now if the Redskins can manage to lose this upcoming week @ Miami then they should get the hardest loss out of the way. Then they are looking at all L's till the vikings if they can somehow get lucky and lose that game then ef ya @ a 3-13 record and a good draft pick. The Redskins dont have a shot in hell at getting a playoff chance so i dont see the point of winning.

We need to go 6-2 to even have a shot.....that isn't happening with either of these two jokers.

I think Mike already said that Beck is starting against Miami.

If we are going to go young, I'd prefer to see Grossman. The reason being, he can run the offense better. Young players like Helu, Davis, Hankerson, Austin, and Paul would benefit from playing with Grossman. If he happens to throw a couple more INTs than Beck would, who cares? If the season isn't results based anymore, I'd take a couple INTs over 3 and outs.

Having said that, if they do stick with Beck they should tailor the offense to him. Spread the field and go no huddle just to see what happens.

Playoffs? PLAYOFFS?! We're just trying to win a game here, and you're talking about playoffs?!

:rotflmao:

Well, putting Grossman back in would mean that you've given up on Beck and you want to try and win more games to hopefully salvage a season. If we stick with Beck, we'll probably lose out considering the way things are going. If we put Grossman back in, we're giving him another shot to make something out of this season. Honestly, if we aren't going to make the playoffs, we should lose as many games as possible.

Having said that, if they do stick with Beck they should tailor the offense to him. Spread the field and go no huddle just to see what happens.

tailor the offense to beck? helu will have 25 catches per game, WR should just run streak routes to clear out the D as decoys as he'd never throw to them anyways, and bench fred davis until the last 5 minutes when the defense doesnt care and he can get his obligatory 80-100 yards per game on the last 1 or 2 drives.

beck is worthless, there isnt a game plan other than "not playing" that he'd be able to execute.

Now if the Redskins can manage to lose this upcoming week @ Miami then they should get the hardest loss out of the way. Then they are looking at all L's till the vikings if they can somehow get lucky and lose that game then ef ya @ a 3-13 record and a good draft pick. The Redskins dont have a shot in hell at getting a playoff chance so i dont see the point of winning.

You know...with Miami winning today and playing us next week, things set up to be pretty interesting. We won't "catch" Indy, but we could end up in a nice spot.

I do respect the youth movement and watching the young skill players will definitely keep me excited. Give us a franchise QB, start him day 1, and let these kids grow up together.

As I eluded to in an earlier thread before the call was made...not that I'm happy about it..but i feared Beck would be no better, and Grossman was bad. We have two stinkers for QB's. I know many felt going into the season with them as your 1 and 2 was a problem...well that problem has more than reared it's ugly head. Things look pretty bad..I'm trying to find a positive and it's hard. Hank got some burn, Helu was decent... The offense is so inept...the lack of scoring the last two weeks is disheartening. The defense is ok, not great, not terrible.

As much as I don't like it..at this point, 3-13 or 4-12 looks very probable.

tailor the offense to beck? helu will have 25 catches per game, WR should just run streak routes to clear out the D as decoys as he'd never throw to them anyways, and bench fred davis until the last 5 minutes when the defense doesnt care and he can get his obligatory 80-100 yards per game on the last 1 or 2 drives.

beck is worthless, there isnt a game plan other than "not playing" that he'd be able to execute.

:ols:

I'm over Beck too. But if you're going to play him, make it easier on him.

Archived