Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What if old Dan emerges & ends the Shanny era; will you still be a fan?

88Comrade2000

The next two weeks could be interesting. What if we lose an ugly game to the Niners and then go down to Miami and lose again? Will Dan get drunk as a skunk at Dulles again and fly to see Cowher or Gruden (even though both men seem content with their TV gigs)? Bruce Allen needs to hide the keys to the liquor cabinet.

Of course I'd still be a Skins fan, but would be pretty pissed if Dan fired Mike either during this season or right after the season.

We have to wait to see how this season ends and how the team performs in the second half of the year. However, if we finish below .500 and continue to struggle on offense, I wouldn't blame Snyder from asking some pretty tough questions to Shanahan. Particularly in regard to the QB situation.

No disrespect to the OP, but that is just about the most asinine question that could possibly be posed on here, in any respect; be it hypothetical, in jest, for the sake of discussion whatever.

Nobody, thankfully, has answered they'd stop being a fan. But if anyone did, then they truly weren't a Redskin fan to start with. If anyone, through whatever circumstance, can stop being a fan of the team their allegedly a fan of, then they quite frankly don't deserve the time of day and were never one of us to begin with.

I'm going to stop before I get real pissed and go into a full blown rant. The 'would you stop being a fan if _________ ' question narks the living piss out of me.

Redskin from Cradle to Grave. NO EXCEPTIONS!

Hail.

I would say that I like Allen more than I like Shanahan. Shanny should get his 5 years if we start to improve drastically by year 4, but if it is looking just as bad as this year, I say it's time to bring in a young, hungry coach. Shanahan's biggest problem might be that he was so successful long ago and might try to repeat what worked in the past, but won't work now. Look at the difference Harbaugh has made with the 49ers.

No disrespect to the OP, but that is just about the most asinine question that could possibly be posed on here, in any respect; be it hypothetical, in jest, for the sake of discussion whatever.

Nobody, thankfully, has answered they'd stop being a fan. But if anyone did, then they truly weren't a Redskin fan to start with. If anyone, through whatever circumstance, can stop being a fan of the team their allegedly a fan of, then they quite frankly don't deserve the time of day and were never one of us to begin with.

I'm going to stop before I get real pissed and go into a full blown rant. The 'would you stop being a fan if _________ ' question narks the living piss out of me.

Redskin from Cradle to Grave. NO EXCEPTIONS!

Hail.

I agree with this. I can't see me ever not being a Redskins fan. I've been a fan since 1976, I'm not changing. But, the problem is, as long as we are fans, it will ensure that the Redskins continue to make money. If he's making money, Snyder really doesn't have to do anything improve the team--he still gets the $$$'s. He can fire the coach after two years, hire a bigger name, sign ridiculous free agents, whatever and I keep coming back. Its almost as if we reinforce to Dan its OK if we are mediocre, you've got me addicted, you can mess with the team however you want and I'll come back. If you look at teams like the Lakers in the NBA, if they don't have a championship level team, fans, movie stars don't attend. Would we have a better team if we were fair weather fans?

So then what's he supposed to do to prove it.? How long is enough time? By your logic, it's possible for 'old dan' to emerge at any point ever, so what's the point? You'll just never trust him and I can't say I blame you.

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt though. FIRING vinny says a lot.

well i think that they mean that they wont trust him until its atleast february and mike hasnt been fired yet. cause it wasnt until after zorns 2nd season that he was fired, so if dan WAS thinking of firing mike and kyle this year, he probably would want to do it after the season is over.

NO-I've been loyal for 45 years. NOW is the time for all of us to show PATIENCE-something lil Danny knows not!

No matter how loud fickle fans and Jason Reid scream and cry-stay with this regime and give them their due. Oh, novel idea-honor a contract!

Hail-unless he pulls the trigger

I agree with this. I can't see me ever not being a Redskins fan. I've been a fan since 1976, I'm not changing. But, the problem is, as long as we are fans, it will ensure that the Redskins continue to make money. If he's making money, Snyder really doesn't have to do anything improve the team--he still gets the $$$'s. He can fire the coach after two years, hire a bigger name, sign ridiculous free agents, whatever and I keep coming back. Its almost as if we reinforce to Dan its OK if we are mediocre, you've got me addicted, you can mess with the team however you want and I'll come back. If you look at teams like the Lakers in the NBA, if they don't have a championship level team, fans, movie stars don't attend. Would we have a better team if we were fair weather fans?

Oh, now that's a whole other debate to the OP, and a valid one if things ever got so bad again that the only way forward was to try remove the owner by hitting him where it hurts most. In his pocket.

I honestly don't think we realise the power we hold as fans if we'd only stick together. Without us, there is NO game. NO TV, as they need the ambience we provide to make the spectacle worth while. If we got organised and stuck together, we really would wield great power in bringing about change to things. But we don't, sadly. We follow like sheep. Whatever's laid down, we except it. If you decide not to go to the game, renew your S/T etc, there's always somebody waiting to take your place.

The good thing is for the past 22 months or so, we've had an owner that finally has 'got it'; and given us what everyone's craved for so long from him in most all respects so we've not had to contemplate anything like that. Long may it continue. But there's a WORLD of difference in fans staying away and hitting the franchise were it hurts most; to just stopping being a fan as was asked in the OP.

That I'll never understand, no matter how bad things get.

Hail.

Geez, this thread is full of people who don't understand football. Fire Shanahan after two years? How do you ever expect to have a winning team that way? Every time you bring in a new coach these are new playbooks your players have to learn, it's not like madden where you have the I-formation, shotgun, single back, goal line, and special teams and each of them has 15 plays. It's complex stuff (hence why some people never get it).

Not only that, but Shanahan hasn't even gotten the chance to prove record-wise that he isn't improving this team. He inherited a terrible 4 win team, led them to 6 the next season, and we're ready to run him out of town halfway through a season where he could win us 7-8...

And to anyone that thinks you can build a winner in two years from a 4th worst in the league team? You are sorely mistaken... those Lions, 49ers, and Bills teams that everyone likes to compare us to now cause they're winning and we're not, those teams have been building a foundation for a few years now. They didn't just get good all of a sudden, they did it through quality drafts and FA signings that fit their scheme.

If Snyder makes a coaching change any time before 4 years (and that's if Shanahan isn't showing gradual improvement) I will be livid. Extremely pissed off. However, I'll still be a fan. I always will be.

I am too young to remember the golden age of the Redskins and I went to my first game at the age of 21 (I'm 23) so I will continue to go to games, buy beer and food, be quiet on offense, and scream myself hoarse on defense. Because to a true die-hard fan there is nowhere you'd rather be than at Fed Ex Field cheering on your team surrounded by thousands of other Redskins fans.

Pulling your starting QB when he is 3-2 and inserting a QB who proceeds to go 0-2 and set the Redskins record for most sacks taken in a game IS a fireable offense. The firing would appear to be more of the same, but might actually be a smart move at this point. Shannahan made a judgment call that you could argue derailed our season. It's a rare occurrence to see an NFL head coach make a conscious decision like that and have it blow up in his face like it has. IMO, I would not advocate firing Shannahan, but I couldn't argue with Snyder if he ended up doing it.

I will be a fan of the skins until I die

But I think hiring Shanahan was a mistake - but if he gets fired before his contract is up it will be hard for snyder to hire a new coach - IMHO the team should have gone after a hot shot young Assistant Coach that is currently an OC or DC.

But I think everyone here will be yelling for Shanahans head if we do not go 8-8 in 2012 and look like an improved team.

Tom

Yes i will support him as long as he does not fire him midseason or humilate him the way he did Zorn

The more I see of shannanhan the more i dislike him. I do not think our team is well coached or prepared. I really really expected more. I also think our free agent pickups last year were overpaid and average at best

If we hire another we do not need a young coach, one who has a passion for the game and a coaching staff to match. One who adapts to the players style.not one who wants the players to adapt to his style

Anyone want to bet on this one? I guarantee Shanahan doesn't get fired this year, even if we lose the rest of our games. To Snyder he's almost as untouchable as Gibbs and Snyder is in no position to lose the fan base once again after the previous debacles he's been responsible for.

People STILL complain about Marty getting fired 10 years ago. Imagine Shanahan getting canned and then picked up by Miami or something and getting them deep in the playoffs later while we are still doing the bi-annual Coaching Staff Shuffle.

People STILL complain about Marty getting fired 10 years ago.

and rightfully so

for me that is still the most ignorant thing Snyder has ever done as owner.

---------- Post added November-2nd-2011 at 09:39 PM ----------

Look at the difference Harbaugh has made with the 49ers.

I understand why people could say this, but how often do we see coaches start hot, and then simmer down and out.

If Harbaugh does not sustain this success throughout his tenure, and then win the big one at some point, what difference does it make? He will just be another coach that started out with big promise and didn't deliver.

I understand why people could say this, but how often do we see coaches start hot, and then simmer down and out.

If Harbaugh does not sustain this success throughout his tenure, and then win the big one at some point, what difference does it make? He will just be another coach that started out with big promise and didn't deliver.

Zorn had everyone singing hip hip hooray :ols:

Archived