Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What if old Dan emerges & ends the Shanny era; will you still be a fan?

88Comrade2000

I would still be a fan, but a distant one.

I really don't see how he can fire him this quickly. He has lusted for a big name coach and finally landed one. If he cans him, then he will have shot his wad and then where does he turn? The fans won't be so easily entertained anymore.

His ego won't allow him to hire a no-name (Zorn cured that one) and no other big name coach will even answer an email from Herr Snyder, let alone a phone call.

I know, he would pay a lot to get another big name coach, but the new big time coach would know it's all but a guaranteed failure, even if Bruce Allen stays.

I don't even think he could entice a halfway known college coach here if he cans the Coppertone Kid.

Plus, MS won't fire his own son. I just wonder how they can ease out the OC and keep Momma. Shanahan happy.

Zorn had everyone singing hip hip hooray :ols:

Exactly

We went from "hip hip hooray" 6-2 to "get this mother ****er out of here at all costs" pretty quickly. :ols: Heck, just take the 49ers for instance. They are an excellent example. Mike Singletary. Started out great. Man crushes started with his media "can't win with em'" rant. Now? Gone...and is he even coaching at all right now?

I would still be a fan, but a distant one.

I really don't see how he can fire him this quickly. He has lusted for a big name coach and finally landed one. If he cans him, then he will have shot his wad and then where does he turn? The fans won't be so easily entertained anymore.

His ego won't allow him to hire a no-name (Zorn cured that one) and no other big name coach will even answer an email from Herr Snyder, let alone a phone call.

I know, he would pay a lot to get another big name coach, but the new big time coach would know it's all but a guaranteed failure, even if Bruce Allen stays.

I don't even think he could entice a halfway known college coach here if he cans the Coppertone Kid.

Plus, MS won't fire his own son. I just wonder how they can ease out the OC and keep Momma. Shanahan happy.

I agree with the sentiment, but he finally landed a big name coach? Has he ever NOT had one?

Schotty

Spurrier

Gibbs

Shanahan

He had Zorn for two years-ish and Norv for one. That's all that he does.

I agree with the sentiment, but he finally landed a big name coach? Has he ever NOT had one?

Schotty

Spurrier

Gibbs

Shanahan

So what can we derive from this little tidbit of information? Our problems all stem from coaching :ols: Seriously????

Schotty

Spurrier

Gibbs

Shanahan

I am still holding out hope that the Dan is learning, albeit at a much slower pace than George Steinbrenner did - meaning eventually he'll figure out where he's gone wrong and correct said mistakes. Leading to, <fingers crossed> a fourth Lombardi...finally.

I know that the post wis for discussion only but my feeling is that Snyder likes Shanahan and knows thaat he needs some time to get the team baack to a winning organization. I think that he now knows that there has to be some sort of stability in order to win. I think he trusts Shanahan and Allen to do the job he hired them to do. So I think that next year will be the season that will be the telling tale of the tape for Shanahan and Allen.

Not sure what you mean by this. I'm a believer in Snyder being a changed owner, but it was only two years ago that Snyder was flying down to Shanahan's house MID-SEASON to attempt and recruit him to replace Zorn...with Zorn being none the wiser.

Given that coaching search was somewhat of a mess and Snyder was ill prepared for it, I can understand him wanting to talk to Shanahan to gauge his interest as well as get some advice. Zorn really walked into a no-win situation. I don't think Snyder had much confidence in either Vinny or Zorn to do the job after that first year. (Remember, he also talked to Allen at the Senior Bowl that year as well.) That being said, he did have Zorn play out his two years. Personally, I wish he was more supportive of Zorn, but he mostly did what the fanbase wanted: he let his football people handle the football business.

That being said, that has little to do with the subject of this post. While I don't trust Snyder to have much patience with a young coach, he does seem to respect veteran coaches. I just can't see him kneecapping Shanahan. Personally, I think Shanahan will get the Gibbs treatment and will be allowed to coach here at least 5 years and perhaps as long as he wants.

I will always be a Redskins fan, no matter who owns, runs, or guides this team. Thru every win, every loss, evry good & bad season. What Snyder does will not dampen my fanhood....EVER. I may stop watching, buying merchandise, or even paying attention to what goes on, who's on the team, or who's coaching, but my heart will always be with my Washington Redskins!

I think that Snyder hired Shanahan, at least in part, because he knew that Jerry Jones and Shanahan planned at some point for Shanahan to coach the Cowboys. I am looking forward to that day.

Really, I just do not believe that Shanahan has the true Redskins qualities that we have known and loved. I'm talking about Allen, Lombardi and Gibbs. Is there any coach out there that has those qualities?

I know that NFL pundits say that someone like that would never work for Snyder, but maybe Dan would give us season ticket holding fans a break. $2500/yr, 2 seats, for 12 pathetic years? That is a lot of jack. (plus probably another $10K plus in beer.) That is $40,000 out of my pocket. Come on Dan! Give us a break, and I'm not talking about anything but performance.

Does GM Allen report to Shanahan, by the way?

and rightfully so

for me that is still the most ignorant thing Snyder has ever done as owner.

---------- Post added November-2nd-2011 at 09:39 PM ----------

I understand why people could say this, but how often do we see coaches start hot, and then simmer down and out.

If Harbaugh does not sustain this success throughout his tenure, and then win the big one at some point, what difference does it make? He will just be another coach that started out with big promise and didn't deliver.

Yeah, I also see your point. Earlier in the season the 49er's success reminded me a lot of Jim Zorn's first year here. Jason Campbell was playing well, Portis was on fire and our defense was very good. A lot of similarities but I feel like the 49'ers will continue to be good.

The amazing thing is that the fans are freaking out and ready to dump Shananan. One does not have to look very hard to find someone on ES calling for the firing of Coach.

I think Dan will have more patience than the fans.

I will give Coach to the end of year three (barring insane behavior).

We are assuming our savior franchise QB will be draft next year- 2012 will be just as bad if not worse than this year as the rookie goes thru growing pains.

The only way Shanny would really be in trouble after next season is if our starting QB in 2012 is a veteran QB.

:helmet: The Rook

---------- Post added November-3rd-2011 at 01:59 AM ----------

No disrespect to the OP, but that is just about the most asinine question that could possibly be posed on here, in any respect; be it hypothetical, in jest, for the sake of discussion whatever.

Nobody, thankfully, has answered they'd stop being a fan. But if anyone did, then they truly weren't a Redskin fan to start with. If anyone, through whatever circumstance, can stop being a fan of the team their allegedly a fan of, then they quite frankly don't deserve the time of day and were never one of us to begin with.

I'm going to stop before I get real pissed and go into a full blown rant. The 'would you stop being a fan if _________ ' question narks the living piss out of me.

Redskin from Cradle to Grave. NO EXCEPTIONS!

Hail.

Come on now, you know why I asked it. I've seen several people comment in several threads whenever a Shanny firing is mentioned; that would be it for them. Now, that was probably said after another loss but still wanted to see what people said.

Some people loved Shanahan when he came because he was going to change the culture of the Snyder Redskins from losers to winners.

Then, early on, he made what could be the worst most costly mistake in NFL history, personally handing Haynesworth a check for $21 Million, followed by total mismanagement of that situation (I'm not saying he could have managed it, but he could have thrown Haynesworth out and not paid him the $21 Million. We could have used the money for real players.)

Shanahan also screwed up the Redskins QB situation by selling us out for McNabb, then selling out McNabb, then sticking us with a mess at QB. Thanks, Shanahan.

I'll still support you, Dan Snyder, because I love the Redskins. But, please, don't just hang on to Shanahan if he doesn't perform immediately.

[quote name=KokoMike;8662771

Really' date=' I just do not believe that Shanahan has the true Redskins qualities that we have known and loved. I'm talking about Allen, Lombardi and Gibbs. Is there any coach out there that has those qualities? [/quote]

I was no fan of hiring Shanahan (or Allen). Retreads don't win. We've seen it first hand with Gibbs 2.0.

However I'm a little fuzzy on what specific qualities about Lombardi, Allen and Gibbs are you referring to that Shanahan does not possess?

Also whatever it was about Lombardi, how can it be co-opped as being "Redskin qualities" when he coached here all of one year? Isn't it more true that Lombardi brought "Packer qualities" to an awful Redskins franchise (including changing the uniforms to be more Packer-like)?

The thread between Lombardi, Allen and Gibbs that I see is that they were very hard workers. Tireless. One thing you can say about Mike Shanahan is that he too is a very hard worker and stickler for detail.

I can't stop being a fan....born a diehard, always a diehard. I was a fan before Dan Snyder and I'll be a fan after Dan Snyder.

Snyder convinced me he was able to change when he hired Bruce Allen and took a step back. Bruce Allen is more important than Shanny & son.

We as fans must be patient. Skins fans have preached this for the last 11 years. Don't be hypocrites!! This is going to take time. Firing and hiring coaches every 2 to 3 years isn't going to get it done. Its not like Shanny has forgotten how to coach. Doesn't have all the pieces yet. Kyle? He is getting a bunch of crap because the offense is producing. If you at what he did in Houston, it just takes time. He wasn't very successful with Houston a first. But when he was done, Houston finished 4th in offense. Schaub was #1 in passing in 2009. So......................got to be patient.

I'd rather go through this type of losing with young guys, and build the damn team. All successful teams have gone through this. Look at Buffalo!!!

Not very good the last couple of years. Found a good QB, and kept building. Not a joke of the league anymore.

Some people loved Shanahan when he came because he was going to change the culture of the Snyder Redskins from losers to winners.

Then, early on, he made what could be the worst most costly mistake in NFL history, personally handing Haynesworth a check for $21 Million, followed by total mismanagement of that situation (I'm not saying he could have managed it, but he could have thrown Haynesworth out and not paid him the $21 Million. We could have used the money for real players.)

Shanahan also screwed up the Redskins QB situation by selling us out for McNabb, then selling out McNabb, then sticking us with a mess at QB. Thanks, Shanahan.

I'll still support you, Dan Snyder, because I love the Redskins. But, please, don't just hang on to Shanahan if he doesn't perform immediately.

Maybe one of the more knowledgeable-than-me posters could settle this: But I thought the 21 mil was guaranteed to Fat Boy anyways. That the only reason the big payment was in 2010 was for the team to take advantage of the uncapped year. Shanahan offered to let Fat Boy seek a trade with another team, on the condition that FB give up the bonus if he signed with another team. But the 21 mil was guaranteed unless Fat Boy gave it up.

Regardless of what Danny boy does I will ALWAYS be a fan of The Washington Redskins. Losing is really getting old, but you find out who the real fans are when times are tough. To me, If you have to really ask yourself this question at all you are not a redskin fan.

Archived