Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What if old Dan emerges & ends the Shanny era; will you still be a fan?

88Comrade2000

This is for discussion only. I am not advocating this. Shanny deserves 2 more years at least too see if he has earned an extension after the 2013 season or if his era ends one year early. I see 2012 as the the growing pains year as our rookie QB and several young offensive players learn to play together. I then see 2013 as when they team makes significant progress, possibly contending for a wild card but definitely enough there to now we are finally on the right track. If things aren't improving by the end of 2013; then it will be time for a change.

Thing is, we have Dan Snyder as owner. I know everyone says he has changed. Until he proves that to me; It's still possible old Dan will emerge.The Skins of the last 2 years aren't pleasing to him and it's possible his old habits creep up again. I'd be watching where Synder One is later in the season.

This is just for discussion only but what if Dan Snyder decides it's 2 and done for Shanny. Will that be the final straw for you or will you still be a fan?

I'm going to outlive Snyder, so yes, I'll still be a fan.

ETA: It will be media suicide to not give Shanny his fair run. He has to for his previous actions. He's given himself no other choice.

The scary thing will be in 5 years and if Shanny hasn't succeeded, will Danny feel justified that he might have been right all along?

Shudder.

I will remain a fan. I won't be pleased that Dan gave up on Shanny and wonder what they hell now. I'll just hope for the best with the new guy. If the old Dan reemerges and cans the Shans; then I would want him to give George Allen full control as GM and let George pick the coach and then stay the hell out of the way. Synder is going to be owner as long as I am alive; so I will have to live with whatever he does and hope for the best.

I honestly couldn't see myself putting any more money in his pockets through tickets sales or merchandise. I would probably become a casual fan at best. One that will watch the game for the entertainment value, but the emotional and financial investments would probably cease.

but one thing that should be pointed out, is that if he has truly changed, than Bruce Allen would be the one to fire the coach, not Snyder.

I still think that Shanny needs the full 5 years (probably longer) to show that he is turning things around. I just don't think people understand how badly screwed up from top to bottom this organization was.

It would be stupid to not give Shanny 5 years, but I could easily see Danny pulling the plug, if next season or the season after that are this bad.

I don't know if the Skins would be dead to me or not, if that happened. I'm sure as hell not rooting for the Washington Snyders. Shoot, maybe I've just always been a Washington Gibbs fan most of my life, and never realized it.

I will always love the team and the players, but if this happens, I would not stand for this, and at that point I believe he would need to step down and rid of himself and take responsibility for not being able to produce a winner in 10+ years. If he is going to fire anyone, it should be himself if this doesn't go well

You mean the Dan Snyder that hasn't existed in a decade?

Not sure what you mean by this. I'm a believer in Snyder being a changed owner, but it was only two years ago that Snyder was flying down to Shanahan's house MID-SEASON to attempt and recruit him to replace Zorn...with Zorn being none the wiser.

Thing is, we have Dan Snyder as owner. I know everyone says he has changed. Until he proves that to me; It's still possible old Dan will emerge.The Skins of the last 2 years aren't pleasing to him and it's possible his old habits creep up again. I'd be watching where Synder One is later in the season.

So then what's he supposed to do to prove it.? How long is enough time? By your logic, it's possible for 'old dan' to emerge at any point ever, so what's the point? You'll just never trust him and I can't say I blame you.

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt though. FIRING vinny says a lot.

Even though I disagree with a lot of the moves Shanahan has made with the roster (or lack of moves) and as much as I disagree with his choice of assistant coaches, I think it would be idiotic to not give him the full 5 years to build this team. I wish that we had done a true rebuild- demolished everything from the last team, sold off almost all of the parts, and brought in a whole new roster. I really would have enjoyed that. Instead we've been trying to win with a bunch of aged castoffs and never-beens. I wouldn't have a problem with it if we weren't taking on projects who are 28, or 30 years old.

Snyder already gets none of my money but yeah if he fires Allen/Shanahan after this year I could see myself caring a lot less about watching the games.

I'm 100% positive that doesn't happen though. Who would come here to coach next if he did? It's way too early for Snyder to turn completely into Al Davis. I never wanted Shanahan in the first place but you have to give him more than 2 years.

If we are going to keep changing the entire offense and defense every 2 years then there really would be no point in following this team any longer. We'd never have a chance.

I honestly couldn't see myself putting any more money in his pockets through tickets sales or merchandise. I would probably become a casual fan at best. One that will watch the game for the entertainment value, but the emotional and financial investments would probably cease.

but one thing that should be pointed out, is that if he has truly changed, than Bruce Allen would be the one to fire the coach, not Snyder.

I still think that Shanny needs the full 5 years (probably longer) to show that he is turning things around. I just don't think people understand how badly screwed up from top to bottom this organization was.

I agree with your last comment, that Shanahan needs the full five years. That is why we need to move on without him. I've been a season ticket holder for 35 years, been to the top and have seen the bottom. It doesn't take five years to become successful. Just look at the NFL today. It takes leadership and inspiration, coupled with good judgment. A winner. Shanahan has show none of these qualities. He is just another authoritarian gone wacko. I'll support the Skins if they get rid of Shanahan. After this year, I think we only owe him $15 million. Chump change compared to the $21 million check Shanahan gave Haynesworth.

Of course, I'll support the Redskins in any regard, because they are bigger than Snyder or Shanahan. Bigger than me; bigger than you.

The amazing thing is that the fans are freaking out and ready to dump Shananan. One does not have to look very hard to find someone on ES calling for the firing of Coach.

I think Dan will have more patience than the fans.

I will give Coach to the end of year three (barring insane behavior).

:helmet: The Rook

Many what Shannah's head on a platter right now, I don't how much truth there is to Shannah telling Snyder that if you don't give me at least five years then don't hire me cramp really is. What scares me the most is that Snyder gets pressured by fans and pulls the trigger and fires Shannah early. So to answer your question no I love this team to much and nothing will ever get me to turn my back on them.

Yes, I'd be a fan. Depending on the circumstances, I might agree with the move.

Our dynamic is awkward right now. I'm not sure who outranks who between our GM and our head coach. So, in the one specific case where Allen does not have the authority to fire Shanahan, I think there are a couple circumstances where it might be OK. For example, if Allen is sure that Haslett and/or Kyle are a big part of the problem but Shanahan won't fire him, I think I'd be OK with Allen advising Snyder to cut the cord and give him the autonomy to make similar decisions moving forward.

Like I said though, I will be a fan no matter how much I disagree with any of the moves.

Both Shanahan and Allen are very good at what they do.

However, I'm not sure that either of them have the ability to put together a team that will completely turn around the fortunes of this franchise like Schwartz/Mayhew did with the Lions or Smith/Dimitroff with Atlanta. I didn't think it when we hired them and I don't think it now. I think they can make us a well-run organization that is competitive, but neither have the personnel ability to put together a deep, young, talented team.

I'll root for them until Dan makes a decision one way or another, but as of right now I wouldn't really be TOO upset if Shanahan was canned. It comes with the caveat that we hire a great young FIRST TIME coach and a strong director of player personnel (DeCosta from Bailtimore).

Like someone said earlier, I'm a WASHINGTON REDSKINS fan, not a Washington Snyders fan....

I was a fan before Snyder and I'll be a fan after (hopefully)....

A revolving door of coaching staffs has been one of the major reasons we have been in the dark ages for 2 decades! You MUST give Shanahan time to get things working right. I fully believe we are still on the right track.... He's built up the Defense considerably, and 2012 I would guess we'll see a lot of focus on the Offense in the offseason and draft...

Give it time!! Whoever told you they can build a Dynasty in 1-2 yrs LIED to you....

btw....I still believe we could have been there a lot sooner had Schottenheimer been given more than 1 yr.....but I don't want to spend my entire time as a Redskins fan living in the past....

HAIL!!

Archived