Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Walking Dead Season 7 --Discuss material from the Walking Dead and Talking Dead TV shows ONLY.

steveo21

What about the episode did you find disturbing?

Is that a serious question?

Is it really not obvious to you why people would find it disturbing that the episode featured a kid murdering her younger sister, then being executed by her mother figure?

You didn't find any part of that the least bit disturbing? 

It's a TV show based on a comic book, so no. It was a realistic twist (realism has been fairly rare in this show) and it was probably the best episode of the season.

Disturbing?  Maybe.  But it was definitely necessary.  "She can never be around other people."  If she was willing to kill her own sister, she'd kill anybody.  ZA or not, that chick wasn't wired right from birth.  And with no means to care for her in a mental facility or any psych meds available, she had to go down.

Unless you wanna take your chances and sleep around her...and wake up like that one guy did in "3:10 to Yuma," being stabbed in the neck with a fork repeatedly.

Disturbing?  Maybe.  But it was definitely necessary.  "She can never be around other people."  If she was willing to kill her own sister, she'd kill anybody.  ZA or not, that chick wasn't wired right from birth.  And with no means to care for her in a mental facility or any psych meds available, she had to go down.

Unless you wanna take your chances and sleep around her...and wake up like that one guy did in "3:10 to Yuma," being stabbed in the neck with a fork repeatedly.

I don't disagree that executing LIzzie was necessary.  Just like it was necessary for Carl to put a bullet in Lori's head.  That's not really what makes something disturbing or not (though I was more focused on Lizzie killing little sis, which was definitely the more disturbing of the two).  And I interpreted USS' comment as meaning that the episode in and of itself was not necessary.  That they didn't have to take the story there, not that Carol's actions in the context of everything else were unnecessary.

But that still doesn't explain why the question was asked in the first place.  Even if you are so desensitized, and so uninvested in the story that you have no empathy for the characters and don't think about the real-life equivalents for even a moment after you hit the power button, anyone who isn't a sociopath should be able to comprehend why others would be disturbed by such a scene.

I have two young daughters (5 and 3).  It's true what they say, that having kids makes you react much more strongly to stories, whether real or fictional, about kids.   Re the real life equivalents, it immediately reminded me of a pretty tragic story from a few years ago, where a boy (maybe 14 or so) strangled his younger brother with his bare hands for no reason, other than that he felt a burning desire to kill.  Claimed to feel a deep affinity to Dexter, recounted his brother's last words (please...stop) with pretty much no emotion...it's one of the most horrifying and devastating things I can imagine. 

I thought it was a good episode, and I don't share USS' opinion that the episode was unnecessary.  But I totally understand why he would feel that way.

Disturbing, sure.

Definitely not lacking in realism though. What other chance did Carol have? Anything else would have been more brutal. Best to just put her out of her misery.

I just have a problem with people trying to pile on guys for asking/answering a genuine question. Maybe he can clarify, but imo, I took it as basically... So far we've seen a guy have to make a choice to kill his dead wife, refusing to do so, and losing his son in the process. We've seen a kid (Carl) get shot, we've seen a girl go missing and turn up up in a barn where people out of touch with reality were keeping walkers, resulting in her getting shot in the head by the very guy who swore that she would be safe from harm.

We've seen a woman mourn her dead sister. We've seen people get brutally tortured. We've seen borderline rape. We've seen a dead girl walker chained up and kept in a box by her father. We've seen the main characters leave people stranded who needed their help, passing by their torn up bodies later on and giving no ****s about it.

We've seen a man get killed because Carl wanted to play catch with a walker. We'eve seen a little girl get brutally bitten by a walker, taken to the Governor, then shot in the head after the fact. We've seen a man get brutally beheaded. We've seen multiple family suicides laying dead in their houses.

We've seen all of this, and have kept watching, yet claim that only a sociopath or someone desensitized wouldn't understand how people could be affected by this, and this alone, now having an epiphany and deeming it unnecessary? That's pretty ****ing rich if you ask me.

Wasn't all the other stuff unnecessary too? Wasn't that ****ed up?

Do understand while someone would feel that way? Sure. But I also understand very clearly the question that Gamebreaker was asking. It's a damn show. And knowing that it's a damn show, that still leaves room for me to attach real world sentiment to it, and apply every situation to my everyday life, or envision myself in the shoes of the characters.

If this were real,and I was Tyrese, would I be distraught? Yes, but I would not hesitate for a second to blow that girls head off. It's either kill or be killed. Once that girl went off the rails, she became a threat,and that threat had to be eliminated. There's no time for emotions. A mindset like that is as real as real can get, in that type of unrealistic environment, for people who invest a ton of emotions into the show, like me.

You bet your ass it's disturbing, and unnecessary. Thats the world they live in. That's the point of the entire show. I think we can have a legit discussion without resorting to using moral high horses when someone is just asking a question, and wasn't condemning anybody.

Is that a serious question?

Is it really not obvious to you why people would find it disturbing that the episode featured a kid murdering her younger sister, then being executed by her mother figure?

Yes, it was a serious question. Maybe I'm jaded, but I would assume anyone who's been watching this show, already on it's fourth season, wouldn't be overly disturbed by it. We've seen Shane shoot a guy in the leg so he could escape walkers, then later look his wife in the face and say he did everything he could to save him. The Governor decapitated Hershel, in addition to having an grotesque display of trophy heads hidden in his apartment. I don't see how anyone can question continuing to watch the show based off last week's episode alone, that;'s why I asked for clarification. 

Furthermore, I find the tone of your post pretty aggressive and out of line considering I asked a one sentence question and didn't judge him in the slightest. 

I don't disagree that executing LIzzie was necessary.  Just like it was necessary for Carl to put a bullet in Lori's head.  That's not really what makes something disturbing or not (though I was more focused on Lizzie killing little sis, which was definitely the more disturbing of the two).  And I interpreted USS' comment as meaning that the episode in and of itself was not necessary.  That they didn't have to take the story there, not that Carol's actions in the context of everything else were unnecessary.

But that still doesn't explain why the question was asked in the first place.  Even if you are so desensitized, and so uninvested in the story that you have no empathy for the characters and don't think about the real-life equivalents for even a moment after you hit the power button, anyone who isn't a sociopath should be able to comprehend why others would be disturbed by such a scene.

I have two young daughters (5 and 3).  It's true what they say, that having kids makes you react much more strongly to stories, whether real or fictional, about kids.   Re the real life equivalents, it immediately reminded me of a pretty tragic story from a few years ago, where a boy (maybe 14 or so) strangled his younger brother with his bare hands for no reason, other than that he felt a burning desire to kill.  Claimed to feel a deep affinity to Dexter, recounted his brother's last words (please...stop) with pretty much no emotion...it's one of the most horrifying and devastating things I can imagine. 

I thought it was a good episode, and I don't share USS' opinion that the episode was unnecessary.  But I totally understand why he would feel that way.

So now I'm a sociopath? LOL! Maybe you need to get your money back on that bootleg psychology degree you have. 

I have two children as well, two sons aged 3 and 4, I'd hate for anything like what these characters are going through to happen in real life. And God forbid, I'm dead like Lizzie and her sister's father and I'm unable to prevent how they end up. But this is fiction, and I have to ability to separate fiction from real life. Was it shocking? Very. But I wasn't particularly disturbed beyond my ability to watch the show anymore, and I just wanted more clarification from him on how felt about it. You know....kind of what this thread is about...discussing the show....not backseat psychoanalyzing one another. 

Especially when the show is starting to suck anyhow...

My foot was halfway out the door prior to the most recent episode. That definitely kept me in the game. I also am staying to see what comes of Terminus. See if the guy actually has an idea about the cure.

The brooding pace of this season has worn on me.

You bet your ass it's disturbing, and unnecessary. Thats the world they live in. That's the point of the entire show. I think we can have a legit discussion without resorting to using moral high horses when someone is just asking a question, and wasn't condemning anybody.

You are holding on a little too tight.  Nobody insulted the guy, he asked a silly question to which he got responses.

You are holding on a little too tight.  Nobody insulted the guy, he asked a silly question to which he got responses.

I'm not holding onto anything

I don't think the question was silly, at least enough to warrant the responses. Could it have been worded differently? Sure.  I could see if he came off like a jerk when he posed the question, but he didn't. The responses however, were unnecessary, and hypocritical. As for "Nobody insulted the guy," maybe I missed the part where he was indirectly called a sociopath.

So again, god help us all for wanting to know which scene was tough to watch, or why everything is suddenly so troubling 4 years into a show known for grisly violence and disturbing situations. Call the Moral Police.

Maggie is going to die. I can feel it. The way Glenn is running to terminus, smiling. Screams that he will have hapiness ripped away from him

No, we will get the green eyed monster threesome drama

I figure Carol 

Lemme guess the Terminus Mary is a cannibal and she eats everyone who comes or something?

Looks like it might be a lot worse than that (looked like Rick was under some kind of hypnosis).

I wonder if Daryl will turn on the group of renegades and help Rick and Co. or if "Joe" will convince him that Rick has completely lost his mind. At any rate, I think there will initially be some "Airing of the grievances" in a major way, before the nature of Terminus itself is revealed.

But seriously:

1.) No one protecting the premise (at least at first glance)

2.) No one visible outside of the buildings.

3.) No I want to make sure you're not going to ransack my camp and kill us all feeling out process... Simply "Hello, you look tired... Have something to eat"?

Yeah, not buying it.

Archived