Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NYP: Cheap dates: How the ‘price’ of sex has dropped to record lows

China

Cheap dates How the ‘price’ of sex has dropped to record lows

In today’s lousy economy, men can take comfort in knowing that there is one sought-after good that is becoming steadily more affordable: sex.

Women are jumping into the sack faster and with fewer expectations about long-term commitments than ever, effectively discounting the “price” of sex to a record low, according to social psychologists.

More than 25% of young women report giving it up within the first week of dating. While researchers don’t have a baseline to compare it to, interviews they have conducted lead them to believe this is higher than before, which increases the pressure on other women and changes the expectations of men.

“The price of sex is about how much one party has to do in order to entice the other into being sexual,” said Kathleen Vohs, of the University of Minnesota, who has authored several papers on “sexual economics.” “It might mean buying her a drink or an engagement ring. These behaviors vary in how costly they are to the man, and that is how we quantify the price of sex.”

By boiling dating down to an economic model, researchers have found that men are literally getting lots of bang for their buck. Women, meanwhile, are getting very little tat for their . . . well, you get the idea.

Sex is so cheap that researchers found a full 30% of young men’s sexual relationships involve no romance at all -- no wooing, dating, goofy text messaging. Nothing. Just sex.

Click on the link for the full article

Not surprising. People turn to sexual fulfillment when everything is going to pot (which is now the rule rather than the exception for us young adults). It could be relaxed social mores, but I'm buying into the economic argument instead.

I disagree. Sexual taboos have been steadily disappearing for a while now. If the economy was thriving, I think people would be down to bone in this same manner regardless...

I disagree. Sexual taboos have been steadily disappearing for a while now. If the economy was thriving, I think people would be down to bone in this same manner regardless...

This is an extremely vague disagreement. What sexual taboos are you referring to? The ones against pre-marital sex, the ones against casual sex, or both? Whichever ones you're referring to, they're not even the most important part of the issue at hand, which is that more people are now engaging in sexual intercourse more quickly with people they've recently met, not that more people are engaging in sexual intercourse, period.

Furthermore, the fact that this is a recent phenomenon works against your argument. The sexual revolution of the 1960s did away with sexual taboos in virtually one fell swoop, and the only thing the emergence of AIDS did in the 1980s was make people take precautions in their sex life.

Archived