Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Helu keeps getting better

Louskins9193

One of the things I wonder with all the mentions of Helu as a "scat back", "change of pace back", and a guy who shouldn't get 20-25 touches a game is if people truly realize who it is we're talking about. Helu is not the Darren Sproles, Reggie Bush, Leon Washington, or Danny Woodhead type of back. He is a 5'11", 220 pound downhill runner with an uncommonly high top gear for a guy his size.

Helu is a smaller, speedster at RB, but that doesn't mean he can be a feature back. Look at Felix Jones in Dallas, he is the same type of RB in theory, and Dallas was so confident due to his speed that they severed ties with Marion Barber, and then Felix Jones showed his body can't handle the punishment of a full-time RB, dude now seems to get hurt every other time he gets hit.

Helu is a smaller, speedster at RB, but that doesn't mean he can be a feature back.

:doh:

One of the things I wonder with all the mentions of Helu as a "scat back", "change of pace back", and a guy who shouldn't get 20-25 touches a game is if people truly realize who it is we're talking about. Helu is not the Darren Sproles, Reggie Bush, Leon Washington, or Danny Woodhead type of back. He is a 5'11", 220 pound downhill runner with an uncommonly high top gear for a guy his size.

Yep...I think he would have done just fine as our starter if we didn't trade for Hightower.

I hope we see more of what we saw today for the rest of the season....we have the ability to wear alot of teams down with TH and Helu....

Me too, i benched him on my fantasy team just in case he starts getting plenty of snaps.

However, go figure...i had him on the team thinking it would be a 2 headed RB scheme last week and he got 1 snap...no points. So i benched him this week, he dominates 2nd half and gets 10 points.

Hopefully Helu will see 3-4 more carries and take some load off Hightower. Tim looked tired at times.

One of the questions this season was whether Hightower could handle an extra 10 carries per game over what he was used to wit the Cards. I think that question has become more important because Hightower *did* look tired. Fortunately Helu stepped up and showed he can produce in a game that mattered. Now the coaches will have confidence in him to give him a few more touches and keep Hightower fresh.

I think when Torain gets healthy again -- the Skins will have all the pieces in place for a "multi-RB" running attack similar to what Shanahan used to feature in Denver.

I suspect that Hightower will remain the featured back, but will start sharing more run opportunities with Helu and Torain. That way, the Skins RBs won't wear down as quickly over the course of this long season.

Helu showed some promise against Arizona -- it was nice to see that explosiveness from him, on inside runs. Good vision too.

Sitting 10 rows up at the 20-yard line yesterday, it was apparent that Helu is a better "runner" than Hightower. Hightower had many of the same lanes created for him, but would miss the cut, where Helu would find it and explode through it.

I will not be surprised to see Helu become the "featured" back within a few games, and Hightower become the 3rd down/change of pace guy.

I just love the way Helu cuts quickly and with authority, and makes defenders miss without dilly-dallying about it. He spots the gaps, and hits them fast. I see great things for him.

I remember that Husker fan who was on here after the draft telling us that the Skins got a steal with Helu. Boy, was that guy right...

Archived