Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Helu keeps getting better

Louskins9193

Sitting 10 rows up at the 20-yard line yesterday, it was apparent that Helu is a better "runner" than Hightower. Hightower had many of the same lanes created for him, but would miss the cut, where Helu would find it and explode through it.

I will not be surprised to see Helu become the "featured" back within a few games, and Hightower become the 3rd down/change of pace guy.

I feel the same way.

I noticed in the preseason that Hightower just doesn't diagnose his running lanes as quickly as other backs that have had success under Shanny. There were also a lot of Arizona fans that complained about him hesitating before he gets to the line of scrimmage, resulting in a lot of low yardage carries. After watching him for the preseason and the first two games, I'd say they were definitely justified in their criticism. So far he seems to run the stretch play fairly poorly, not hitting his chosen hole at full speed.

Helu on the other hand, seems like the definition of a one cut and go back, perfect for Shanahan's system. I'm betting that we see Helu as the starter before the midway point in the season, maybe even after the bye.

Helu has great vision and cutback ability. It does suit the stretch type running play better. But hightower is a big back with breakaway speed as well. Great 1-2 punch.

Really like that the Shanny's are not afraid to play the best player. Helu was on the field for the 4th qtr scoring drives. Davis has been used much more in the passing attack, as he should.

Hightower played awesome in the first half. He was shedding tackles and pushing the piles...he wore down a bit after being so amped up for the game.

Helu is a great compliment - especially when the AZ Cards wanted to break Timmy. He is shiftier than Tim and Torain.

I predict the carries will remain about 2/3 for Tim, 1/3 for Helu....

I think the best part of it all was both these guys after the game are really team first dudes. Helu talked about how Hightower wore them down. Hightower said it was great coaching that Helu got all the work in the second half. Just the cohesiveness of this team is impressive.

When the announcers said that....I was like "Great, here comes his fumble."
RIGHT????? I'm thinking to myself, here comes the announcer jinx. I just don't want to see those hot team interview on FOX before a game and get that bandwagon jinx. But as far as Helu it's just so exciting watching him. It's like watching Portis his first year here. You just got that feeling in the pit of your stomach that he could go the distance on any run. I like THT but this kid has that IT factor. I wouldn't be surprised if he got the starting nod by the end of the year or was the starter next year.

Hightower played awesome in the first half. He was shedding tackles and pushing the piles...he wore down a bit after being so amped up for the game.

Helu is a great compliment - especially when the AZ Cards wanted to break Timmy. He is shiftier than Tim and Torain.

I predict the carries will remain about 2/3 for Tim, 1/3 for Helu....

I think the best part of it all was both these guys after the game are really team first dudes. Helu talked about how Hightower wore them down. Hightower said it was great coaching that Helu got all the work in the second half. Just the cohesiveness of this team is impressive.

This...Helu isn't built to beat down defenses like HT and Torrain (similiar runners). The coaches were brilliant inserting Helu just at the right time. Helu is just another piece of the offensive puzzle and definitely like what I see from this kid. Great snag in the draft.

I didn't think all that burst would have translated to the NFL. When he plants his foot to go he is so explosive it's like he instahits top speed, he still looks like he's playing against college kids when he cuts as viciously as he does. Now I understand the move up just to make sure, he's perfect for this O including big.

I'd like to rotate Tim and Ryan as first half backs on a game by game basis, and have Helu play each second half. Keep everybody fresh while still pounding the **** out of each weeks DBs as our RBs finish their runs.

There were a number of times in the 1st half when I thought I saw open lanes...and THT looked as if he was going to hit the hole and zoom down the field.

But Timmy didn't hit the hole... he started to make the cut, and it seemed like the defender closed the hole just in time to get enough of a piece of THT and bring him down.

I noticed THT on multiple occasions pounding the ground or slamming the ball between his hands after he had been tackled in the "I almost broke it" fashion.

I kept saying to myself, "He almost got it...if only he were a bit faster, or a bit shiftier, or had slightly better footwork..... enter Roy Helu.

Suddenly, those frustrating 2 yard gainers that "almost" went for a bunch more....actually WERE GOING for a bunch more!!!!

Say what you will about THT wearing them down, etc. Helu Hits The Hole. PERIOD.

You think TH was running hard before? Watch what happens now being that he has Huuuuuuulllluuuuu looming in the background. TH doen't want to see his playing time reduced, but damn Helu is picking up where he left off in the preseason. His vision is so impressive. It's almost like he sees the hole before it develops. I think it's safe to say that we are set at RB for a few years no. As long as the O'line keeps doing it's thing that is.:)

Watching Helu Sunday made it clear that he's the most talented runner on the team. THT is the most well rounded and Torrain brings the ruckus, but Helu definitely is the one who brings the electricity with him. It's only a matter of time before he breaks off a 50+yard housecall. Actually, judging him by the few runs he's has so far, it shouldnt be long at all.

Anybody think Helu can run like Portis did in Denver? I can't really remember but I know he was awesome. He wasn't the same back in Washington.

Portis was probably a little more agile but it's not a terrible comparison.

mGWNJdEaTGY

If Portis had stayed in that scheme and been more dedicated to and disciplined in the things he needed to do away from the field and training facilities he probably could have gone down as one of the best there ever was. Helu may not have quite the same physical ability but he's close enough that if he works hard he could easily surpass what Portis' career ended up being.

I think when Torain gets healthy again -- the Skins will have all the pieces in place for a "multi-RB" running attack similar to what Shanahan used to feature in Denver.

The running back by committee approach is actually a bit of an aberration when you look at the whole of Shanahan's Denver career. He has always seemed to prefer using a primary ball-carrier, splitting carries somewhat evenly between backs in only two or three of his seasons in Denver where injuries, suspensions, or extenuating circumstances did not impact the RB situation.

This...Helu isn't built to beat down defenses like HT and Torrain (similiar runners).

I wouldn't be so sure of that at all, Hig. Helu's running style might not result in any bone-crunching collisions like you might expect from Hightower and especially Torain but that's not so big a factor in wearing down a defense as many of us would like to believe. He's still a big back, he's not the easiest guy to bring down, and he may very well make up for the lack of jarring hits with the amount of energy defenses have to expend just to catch him.

You think TH was running hard before? Watch what happens now being that he has Huuuuuuulllluuuuu looming in the background. TH doen't want to see his playing time reduced, but damn Helu is picking up where he left off in the preseason. His vision is so impressive. It's almost like he sees the hole before it develops. I think it's safe to say that we are set at RB for a few years no. As long as the O'line keeps doing it's thing that is.:)

That's actually a requirement of this offensive scheme, believe it or not. Because the offensive line is in lateral/oblique motion for practically the entire duration of the play the RB ideally has to cut up field and essentially meet the hole as it opens up.

I love watching Portis' highlights, surely was fun to watch. I admired Portis play in his prime just as much as anyone who loves football. With that said, while is think Helu is coming into his own, if he wants to be just as good as Portis (in his prime), then he has to work on all phases of his game as an RB, not just breaking off the big one after Hightower wears the D down. All this assuming Helu just doesn't want to be more than the third down back, but we definitely have a good one two punch as is, and I'm very grateful for that. I'd even get Torain back in the mix to keep defenses guessing. Better sooner than later to shake some of the rust off that truck.

• 1 month later...
One of the questions this season was whether Hightower could handle an extra 10 carries per game over what he was used to wit the Cards. I think that question has become more important because Hightower *did* look tired. Fortunately Helu stepped up and showed he can produce in a game that mattered. Now the coaches will have confidence in him to give him a few more touches and keep Hightower fresh.

yep, and now with Torain back... just hope Hightower's injury isn't as serious as it looked

Archived