Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Did Tim Hightower underperform today?

AboveLegit

"My fantasy team lost because of (insert name here)

Did they under perform?"

Seriously bro if you bothered to watch the game you wouldn't have posted this

If you knew anything about us rushing against the Giants in the past you wouldn't have posted this

If you didn't have a bone to pick with THT you wouldn't have posted this and "forgot" to leave out his yardage catching the football which left him 3 yards shy of 100 combined

THT league wide is tied for 11th best overall in rushing yards

Seriously hell no he didn't under perform

I'm guessing you were not able to see the game and could only go on stats sans the TD run.

No he didn't. He drew alot of attention from the Giants defense which helped us when it came to using the play action pass.

I will make a very strong effort not to strongly disagree with people who are more concerned about fantasy football stats than wins.

Nope, we had to show we were committed to the run, and we did. It wasn't about his stats it was about the results, Rex took advantage of the Giants stacking the line and threw the hell out of the ball. Team performance trumps individual every time.

Gold Star. Go to the front of the class.

Solid game. not great.

The O-line which is well documented in this thread needs improving, which we all figured would. There were many times that Hightower got hit in the back field yet he powers his way through for a 2 or 3 yard gain.

Hightower IMO is best described as an "all purpose back" so about 100 yards of total offense is not to bad for a week 1 WIIN. :logo: HTTR

His stretch runs, even the ones for little gain, made the Giant defenders engage with OL for a maximum amount of time. Even the CBs were being blocked trying to set up cut back lanes. Making the D work for every play makes the passing game a little easier. It's normal to say the D should be well conditioned, but the truth is even a step slower is often the difference between covered and open. The extra step is also an extra step's worth of time for Rex, and he was hit a lot any way.

In DC, we've been spoiled by RBs who could block. In fack, every RB we've featured at the beginning of a year since Terry Allen has been able to block. In truth, I think that's why we saw so little of the other RBs. Hightower is the better blocker, so if you are going to pass, it is better to have him in the game. Since he is the best runner as well, he was in a lot, and our offense was better for it.

The guy is not Adrian Peterson, but he is exactly what we need at the RB position....he is a tough runner, who can catch, block, and put the ball in the endzone....he did all of those things yesterday....Tim Hightower is the reason the pass game opened up, he turned losses into 3 yard gains....thats crucial in the NFL....and most importantly he wants to be a Redskin, he is from Arlington and played his college ball in RVA....He turned in a B+ performance that with a few more blocks could have been an A+ the dude is gonna be our workhorse all season and he is going to produce, I doubt he will be a league leader in any particular catagory btu he WILL win us some games.

No. The Giants were clearly stacking the box and also run-blitzing. Hightower was getting hit in the backfield before he even had time to get back to the LOS. The Giants were determined to stop the run, and Hightower did just enough for them to respect the run throughout the game. We obviously took advantage of that with Grossman and our passing attack. FWIW, I think the Giants strategy would have worked had they not had so many injuries to their defense. They probably would have been able to pressure Grossman even more, while simultaneously stuffing the run.

Personally, I would like to have seen more screens and slants from Kyle to slow the pass rush, but what the heck do I know? :D

Personally, I would like to have seen more screens and slants from Kyle to slow the pass rush, but what the heck do I know? :D

Could be a lack of confidence in the screen game itself. Which is why its hard for onlookers to really pass judgement on a lot of the stuff we see in football games :)

Could be a lack of confidence in the screen game itself. Which is why its hard for onlookers to really pass judgement on a lot of the stuff we see in football games :)

After a season of "please add more screens for me Kyle, I know they can win!" bull from McNabb (not to mention the fact that they didn't work in either game last year), it wasn't too shocking. It's hard to screen game a team that's as fast as the Giants can play, unless you're the Eagles and your team is twice as fast as even that.

I think it was more impressive that Giants were so committed to stopping Hightower that they essentially sold out their banged up secondary to stop him from breaking one against them. Eventually I thought they'd drop back and play more coverage, but they didn't. They didn't want to risk Hightower getting hot.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is a perfect example of why sometimes, yards and stats don't bear out the importance of having one player on the field. Though he did get me some tasty fantasy points.

You weren't sold on trading a 35 yr old journey man DL that would have been cut and a conditional late round pick for a 25 year old STUD running back? Really?

I didn't say I wasn't sold on the trade. I said I wasn't sold on Hightower. Please do me the courtesy of carefully reading what I post.

I didn't think Hightower could be a full-time (or near full-time) running back. He's starting to change my mind.

I'm guessing you were not able to see the game and could only go on stats sans the TD run.

No he didn't. He drew alot of attention from the Giants defense which helped us when it came to using the play action pass.

I will make a very strong effort not to strongly disagree with people who are more concerned about fantasy football stats than wins.

I saw every single play here in CT and I applaud the effort but I saw 7 runs go for 0 or negative yards. and another half dozen go for 1 or 2.

IF we lost the game all we would be talking about is the ineffectiveness of the running game, that was one sweet W though!

What did you guys think of his performance against the Giants?

25 rushes, 72 yards, 2.9average, 1TD

I thought it was pretty underwhelming, a 2.9 average isn't going to cut it, but some of the blame has to be put on our offensive line who were pretty inconsistent throughout the game. Maybe it's just me, but I was expecting a huge day from him against a beat up Giants defense.

Really? :doh:

I thought the Skins played a pretty great game against a team that has dominated us for the last several years & they did it convincingly. They weren't perfect, by any stretch of the imagination, but they were good enough to make it a comfortable win with 6 minutes left in the game.

There's a lot to learn still. And personally, I feel that I haven't felt this good about a Redskins win for a very long time. I don't think there was much of an underperformance anywhere on the field. The only thing we didn't have happen in our favor was a PR or KR for a TD.

Hightower did his job. I'm happy with the results, stats don't mean much to me.

:giantsuck: :beavisnbutthead:

It wasn't the yards that mattered, it was the commitment to the run. The Giants loaded up the box and forced Grossman to beat them.

thats the advantage we have this year. teams dont think grossman can cut it, so they focus on stopping the run and put pressure on grossman. once they start focusing on grossman, the running game will come to life.

edit: forgot to hit on the main point of this thread. tim hightower did a fine job, he did the best he could with what he had, and he didnt turn the ball over. if you think he underperformed, your crazy. hes not gonna rush for 5+ yards a carry and 100+ yards every game.

You know sometimes when you show the same play so many times (think preseason) teams are going to figure you out, however, smart teams know how to make this work in their benefit. You have to believe that the Cards saw what we did against the Giants and what we were able to accomplish during the preseason, but they also saw Big Sleepy, Rex and a fine passing attack too. They are going to have to decide which poison to take next week. I think we will be balance with Sex Rex throwing for 230 and team rushing of 150.

Archived