Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Did Tim Hightower underperform today?

AboveLegit

Tough question, but overall, you have to say yes. Not because of his lack of stats... the Giants were intentionally stacking the line to stop the run and defense's in the NFL are good enough to stop the run any time they sell out to do so. .

I assume you mean "everybody but us". :)

Yeah, part of me was disappointed by the lack of yardage. (And by the fact that it seemed like we tried to run wide on every play, for a while, there.)

OTOH, I was profoundly glad that we stuck with it.

And I had to comment, there at the end of the game, a lot of respect for the fact that everybody in the stadium knew that we were going to hand it to him, and he still gained yardage, and a first down.

To me, when you can run the ball even when they know it's coming, then that's gotta be worth some Man Points.

I thought it was more of the lack of blocking than THT. He had 72 yards and fought for every single one of them. I also think we need to use different run plays besides the stretch zone. The Giants were all over that play. I expect him to play better next week against his old team.

The play calling was weak IMO. That same stretch play was dead and after a few times Hightower just didn't have any burst to break across the LOS. He looked to be covering himself more than trying to break through, but the blocking sucked and he had to run 10 yards sideways to get no gain laterally.

As many have already stated he was running against eight in the box all day. I am just ecstatic that we have the opportunity to be this nitpicky! And this isn't a thread about how we couldn't make a third down to save our lives and we couldn't capitalize in the red zone and the typical threads after every game in the last few years.

Hail!

Haha yeah, I don't think there's anyone who could panic after a game like this, way too many positives came out of this victory.

I think Torain would have faired better for this game..but Hightower would excel in other matchups. The play calling on the run was poor though and the Oline was shaky at best in the run game and pass protect. As others stated, the Giants sold out on stopping the run...the Skins took what was there.

One thing that I'm wondering.... Tim was on the field for a good chunk of the game, I think I saw Helu take maybe one or two snaps at best. Is this a sign of Shanahan trusting Hightower a lot? In a game like this, it would of been nice to see a change of pace back every now and then, to keep the defense guessing.

70 yards was good enough, especially considering that the same slow-developing stretch play was called over and over and over. It was clearly just a part of the offensive gameplan to do things on the ground this way today. Of course there's always a chance that he breaks one; just didn't happen out there today. Good game for Hightower, though.

I assume you mean "everybody but us". :)

Yeah, part of me was disappointed by the lack of yardage. (And by the fact that it seemed like we tried to run wide on every play, for a while, there.)

OTOH, I was profoundly glad that we stuck with it.

And I had to comment, there at the end of the game, a lot of respect for the fact that everybody in the stadium knew that we were going to hand it to him, and he still gained yardage, and a first down.

To me, when you can run the ball even when they know it's coming, then that's gotta be worth some Man Points.

Absolutely agree, I was very impressed on that first down he got late in the game. That shows he's more than just another back, the guy can make plays himself. I think he's going to be amazing once he perfects this scheme.

No, he didn't under perform.

---------- Post added September-11th-2011 at 08:47 PM ----------

What was wrong with Hightower? He ran well and the Giants decided to stack the box. Rex took over and we won the game. I'll take it.

I guess for some people if he's not breaking 50 yard scampers, something is wrong with him?

28 touches and no turnovers was a big factor today.

I don't think he specifically underperformed as much as the running game overall. Weren't many holes to work with and we didn't ever develop any rhythm. And Rex doesn't run the stretch very well.

What was wrong with Hightower? He ran well and the Giants decided to stack the box. Rex took over and we won the game. I'll take it.
Being under 3YPC is generally considered a poor day.

Archived