Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Taking Redskins Defense in Fantasy: Homer pick or Smart?

Chase M

Redskins Defense will not be in high demand by anyone playing FF this year unless they are a Redskins fan or they play in 16 or 18 team leagues

Provided that your in a 12-10-8 team league you should not pick them up and should go for a much better choice.

If every Defense is left out there the top 10 fantasy Defenses this year are:

Pittsburgh

Green Bay

Philadelphia

NY Jets

Baltimore (I know they are gone but they are top 10)

New England

Chicago

Detroit

New Orleans

NY Giants

You would be better off getting any of those teams over the Redskins (Right now). Drafting is about knowing who your opponents are going to target as much as having a feeling that a guy might be a sleeper. Sleeper picks generally are good to draft if you think someone else might grab them. But they are sleepers for a reason and your points on Defense in FF come from turnovers (we don't get a lot of those), sacks (we don't get a lot of those either), return TD's (most leagues), and defensive TD's. Let them sleep unless you see something that you just have to have on your team. Generally going into a season ranked 31st Defense overall means that your not that wanted in FF and they can wait to be added

Theres 10 or so who I would take before the Skins but I think its a good choice. Yahoo/espn/nfl.com all have them around #28 but they will be better.

Honestly if you're in a position where you dont have one of the obvious top defenses its probably best to play it by ear and choose a defense each week based on matchup but I would not be surprised if the redskins end up top 12. Stone hands isnt around to piss away interceptions, orakpo/kerrigan will get more sacks, and Banks will be good for some bonus points. Overall probably less points allowed too.

So I already picked up Hightower for my RB postion (100% Homer Pick) but when it comes to defense I feel it's the toughtest position to judge for a Fantasy pick. Baltimore was the only defense drafted during our leagues draft, everyone else just waited till waivers. If I could remember correctly I've only played the Redskins D once before and I swore to myself never again, but I truly believe this year we could have a top 5 Defense. Would it be a homer pick for me to pick up our D? or would it be a sleeper pick, a steal, smart of me to pick them up opposed to waiting till after week one. My fear is that if the Redskins D comes out blazing on Sunday and someone higer on waivers notices and swoops them up before me.

What should I do Redskins fam?

Homer pick. Most fantasy defenses give points for turnovers, TDs returned and shutouts.

Defense will be improved over last season, but that isn't saying much. Its a homer pick. But its not a bad one. The defense does have play makers. Guys like Kerrigan and Orakpo will get sacks and cause fumbles. DHall is good for a few picks a year.

Personally, I'd take the Eagles defense. With their corners, they'll make a lot of interceptions

I've had Cooley for years in my keeper league. I picked up Gano as my backup kicker on one team behind Gostkowski. I picked up Gaffney as a taxi squad player (essentially my 5th WR). I've been burned by our defense for too many years in FF. I'll keep an eye on them as a future pickup.

Couple questions about this post

1. How many teams are in the league discribed?

2. Backup kicker? This is a new concept to me. Is there some league rule that says you should carry a backup kicker?

3. How big is the rosters per team?

is to pick up a defense in the last round that you think is best available, and if they dont pan out then you can always pick new defenses every week depending on the matchup.

That's one train of thought. I tend to pick up my D/ST before the last couple of rounds, (in a 12-man league), after the top 3-4 TE's go. By then, most of the positional players that will actually score some decent points for you are scarce. A good D/ST will score a lot of points. Usually more than back-up RB's/WR's and TE's will. A lot of people overlook that.

Definitely a homer pick and I love playing people homers in fantasy since they over value their own players and let the good players slip through. Pick Pittsburgh, the most consistent fantasy D. You will not go wrong with them. I picked them in the 4th Rd. because my league has a horrible scoring system that overvalues defenses and it also forces you to pick 2 of them. And Hightower in the 7th is a great pick up. I have Moss in alot of leagues because he is undervalued, especially in PPR.

Sorry, man. My name is Homer and I wouldn't pick the Redskins as my defense in a 10-team league. Honestly, Tim Hightower is the only player on the team this season I'd even aim for. Maybe Santana Moss as a fourth receiver. Everyone else is too big of a risk.

Sorry, man. My name is Homer and I wouldn't pick the Redskins as my defense in a 10-team league. Honestly, Tim Hightower is the only player on the team this season I'd even aim for. Maybe Santana Moss as a fourth receiver. Everyone else is too big of a risk.
I got Cooley as my backup TE to Jermichael, and Helu as a late round player for potential. I got Moss as my WR2.

So many factors go into this. How many teams in your league? How many players per roster? How does you league score defenses?

If you get credit for special teams and defensive touchdowns then Brandon Banks and Deangelo Hall increase the value of the 'skins defense a lot, because they have scoring potential every week, which would provide an occasional big boost.

Turnovers and sacks are crucial for that steady stream of points though. The hope around Redskins park is that we will generate more turnovers with our new ball-hawking secondary. The same could be said for our new front seven getting sacks and fumbles. The only problem is that it is too early to know if the sacks and turnovers will actually materialize.

It might be worth the risk in a deep league, but I still see it as a boom-or-bust pick. I might take the plunge, but I would be more inclined toward a sure thing like the Jets.

Couple questions about this post

1. How many teams are in the league discribed?

2. Backup kicker? This is a new concept to me. Is there some league rule that says you should carry a backup kicker?

3. How big is the rosters per team?

We're in our 21st season. We have been doing fantasy football before fantasy football was in vogue. 10 team league. We carry a roster of 20 players/defense and 2 coaches:

2 QBs

4 RBs

4 WRs

2 TEs

2 Kickers

2 Defenses

2 Coaches

4 Taxi squad players of any position.

You have to have the core 16 from the QBs to the defenses. In our league, you have to be an owner, GM and coach. This is what you start each week:

1 QB

2 RBs

2 WRs

1 TE

1 Kicker

1 Defense

1 Coach

We have a head to head schedule and a complicated scoring system. I'll give you a summary of how we do it.

Team1

QB scores 7 pts

RBs score 10 pts

WRs/TE score 12 points

Kicker scores 10 pts

Coach scores 1 pt (Meaning if I start Shanahan and the Redskins win, I get a point)

Defense scores -7 pts

That's 40 points of offense

Team 2

QB scores 8 pts

RBs score 10 pts

WRs/TE score 9 pts

Kicker scores 5 pts

Coach scores 1 pt

Defense scores -8 pts

33 points of offense

I take team 1 offense of 40 and take 8 points away (from team two's defense) and the final score is 32.

I take team 2 offense of 33 and take 7 points away (from team 1) and their score is 26.

Final Score: Team 1- 32

Tean 2- 26

We have a 14 game regular season and 2 rounds of playoffs.

Well in my league is defense and special teams together. I took the Redskins - Ravens, Steelers et al were all taken and I just think we are going to be a lot better on defense this year and create some turnovers which score high in my league.

Homer? Maybe but I think I know something others in my league don't.

Mind you my track record is not good here .....

Definitely a homer pick and I love playing people homers in fantasy since they over value their own players and let the good players slip through.

I agree. I love homers and I love newbies! We factor in sacks, fumbles, interceptions, shutouts and safeties for our defenses. Seems like everytime I take Pittsburgh, they regress that year. I have the Jets as my primary on one team and the Giants on the other.

Archived