Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why John Beck is Likely to Win the Job

Oldfan

One thing I've noticed when watching Beck and Grossman during interviews and press conferences is that Beck seems to be the one who wants it the most. He seems much more passionate and hungry to be the starter. I'm not saying that is going to make a difference in who he chosen, but it is something I observed. I'm also not saying that Rex isn't hungry or anything, it just seems to me that Beck wants it more.

One thing I've noticed when watching Beck and Grossman during interviews and press conferences is that Beck seems to be the one who wants it the most. He seems much more passionate and hungry to be the starter. I'm not saying that is going to make a difference in who he chosen, but it is something I observed. I'm also not saying that Rex isn't hungry or anything, it just seems to me that Beck wants it more.

I'm sure Grossman wants it just as bad. He just comes off differently than Beck. All kinds of QBS -- good or bad -- have different public demeanors.

I don't think Grossman not being a goober about it in his interviews means he doesn't want it as much. They're obviously different personality types. They're not going to act in the same manner, no matter what. The thing I respect about Rex is he really would just prefer to go about his business. He's just a mellow, laid back kinda dude. It's probably hard to know how he feels about anything. I don't doubt for one minute that Grossman doesn't want the job just as much as Beck.

I don't think Grossman not being a goober about it in his interviews means he doesn't want it as much. They're obviously different personality types. They're not going to act in the same manner, no matter what. The thing I respect about Rex is he really would just prefer to go about his business. He's just a mellow, laid back kinda dude. It's probably hard to know how he feels about anything. I don't doubt for one minute that Grossman doesn't want the job just as much as Beck.

Funny, I don't see Beck being a goober. I thought Beck sounds more articulate and intelligent than any QB we've had in a long time. I like fiery QBs. IMO QBs shouldn't be mellow. Jason Campbell was mellow. Philip Rivers is fiery. Tom Brady is fiery.

It is just my opinion, but Beck looks like he wants it more.

It is just my opinion, but Beck looks like he wants it more.

Your opinion is... well, nonsense.

Grossman wants it just as bad. And shows plenty of fire on the field.

I mean, it's one thing to analyze their play, but this "Rex is lazy" or "Rex doesn't want it as bad" talk is just BS.

I like Beck too. Impressed me way more than I thought. But come on.

Funny, I don't see Beck being a goober. I thought Beck sounds more articulate and intelligent than any QB we've had in a long time. I like fiery QBs. IMO QBs shouldn't be mellow. Jason Campbell was mellow. Philip Rivers is fiery. Tom Brady is fiery.

Articulating yourself and what you're actually feeling are two totally different things. Now, Beck being able to or even willing to express his desire in the media more than Grossman is probably true. Whether based off just that means he flat out wants it more I think is a stretch.

Is John Beck "fiery" though? He's a chatterbox, but does that make him fiery like Rivers and Brady? Is he gonna get in people's grills like those guys?

this is the way i look at our qb situation:

rex grossman takes risks. with risks comes reward. with risks also comes failure. this has been the story of grossmans career, up and down. he will throw 3 tds one game and 3 ints the next. but you know he will win games.

john beck looks to be very conservative. being conservative wins games, and also loses games. because when you are conservative, you are relying on your defense to win you games. look at jason campbell. very conservative, which makes his numbers look decent. so when he goes 4-12, it makes it seem as though our defense lost those games, and not campbell. when we only score 14 pts a game, you cant expect our defense to hold the other teams to under 14 every game.

being conservative hasnt done anything for us in the past, we need to take risks. we need to go out and score points and not rely on our defense every game to hold a team down. what sounds better: winning 42-35 or winning 6-3? do you see tom brady, and peyton manning throwing check downs all game?

give grossman a couple of games. if he fails, make beck the starter and go from there. if he succeeds, then obviously he stays.

this is the way i look at our qb situation:

rex grossman takes risks. with risks comes reward. with risks also comes failure. this has been the story of grossmans career, up and down. he will throw 3 tds one game and 3 ints the next. but you know he will win games.

john beck looks to be very conservative. being conservative wins games, and also loses games. because when you are conservative, you are relying on your defense to win you games. look at jason campbell. very conservative, which makes his numbers look decent. so when he goes 4-12, it makes it seem as though our defense lost those games, and not campbell. when we only score 14 pts a game, you cant expect our defense to hold the other teams to under 14 every game.

being conservative hasnt done anything for us in the past, we need to take risks. we need to go out and score points and not rely on our defense every game to hold a team down. what sounds better: winning 42-35 or winning 6-3? do you see tom brady, and peyton manning throwing check downs all game?

give grossman a couple of games. if he fails, make beck the starter and go from there. if he succeeds, then obviously he stays.

By the same token, the only time they took a shot down the field without the man running wide open, Beck was the one pulling the trigger. I would argue Grossman is more conservative because he's more limited physically. 15 yards and in, Grossman is all over that. He seems to want no part of anything down the field.

Your opinion is... well, nonsense.

Grossman wants it just as bad. And shows plenty of fire on the field.

I mean, it's one thing to analyze their play, but this "Rex is lazy" or "Rex doesn't want it as bad" talk is just BS.

I like Beck too. Impressed me way more than I thought. But come on.

Wow, put words in people's mouth much? Where did I call Rex lazy (he did gain some chunkiness though) or imply Rex doesn't want to be the starter? I said I believe Beck wants it more. I'm not saying Rex doesn't want it. I'm sure he does. You are probably wanting Rex to be the starter, and that's fine. If he is, I'll definitely be rooting for him because I think both QBs have played well and would trust Shanahan's decision. I think Beck looks faster and crisper, more athletic than Grossman. Grossman has a little more experience and does make some good throws.

Seems to me looking at the stats of both QB's this pre-season, it's about interceptions. Beck has none while Rex has one or two. I also think the coaches and team know exactly what they have in Grossman where Beck seems to get the offense playing with more urgency. I think he has better chemistry than Grossman.

Seems to me looking at the stats of both QB's this pre-season, it's about interceptions. Beck has none while Rex has one or two. I also think the coaches and team know exactly what they have in Grossman where Beck seems to get the offense playing with more urgency. I think he has better chemistry than Grossman.

umm.. i think they both have 1 int.. and both were bad passes

One thing that needs to be mentioned is the fact that Grossman seems to throw ducks anytime he throws a pass over 20/25 yards.

That Beck pass to Armstrong on the sidelines, not only was it accurate, but it was really sharp, and a tight spiral. Contrast that with the Grossman TD pass to Moss, if you watch Grossman throw it, it looks like he had to put everything he had into the pass, and it was wobbling all around, a little overthrown, but Moss went up and got it.

One thing that needs to be mentioned is the fact that Grossman seems to throw ducks anytime he throws a pass over 20/25 yards.

That Beck pass to Armstrong on the sidelines, not only was it accurate, but it was really sharp, and a tight spiral. Contrast that with the Grossman TD pass to Moss, if you watch Grossman throw it, it looks like he had to put everything he had into the pass, and it was wobbling all around, a little overthrown, but Moss went up and got it.

Did you honestly just try and make a TD pass seem worse than a pass that was uncatchable? Seriously...

Rex isn't even playing in the 4th pre-season game, he started the game they split, and he's going to be our starter on Sept. 11.

Hmm.

TBH all I really saw was both QBs performing terribly with the 2nd string WRs (Grossman in the Colts game, and Beck in this game). Beck seems to have a good connection with Austin, but otherwise he hasn't been able to hit Paul or any of the other 2nd string WRs real well either. Remember that when he played with 2nd stringers for a series in the Ravens game and he pretty much solely went to Austin.

I think Becks poor performance was worse than Grossman's in the Colts game. However, it seems our starting OL this game was just plain terrible especially against 2nd stringers (could be cause they didn't game plan any this game but still.... starting OL should not be that terrible against backups).

Beck's positive performances were much better than Grossman's (more scoring drives) aside from Grossman's nice 2 minute drill.

If it was a dead heat going into this game I think Rex has the job. If the Shanahan's feel that Beck's roll out and running skills + connection with the first string WR are still superior to what Grossman offers I think he starts. They will probably just avoid having him in the pocket as much if he starts against the Giants.

It doesn't matter who starts at QB. As far as I'm concerned they both wouldn't start on any other team. So in other words we are going to have a rough year at QB. I know there are a lot of homes in here that think these guys can get it done, but I'm not one of them. The only way we will win games this year is with our run game and defense other than that we're in trouble.

Grossman has been a good enough QB on a Bears team that had a good defense and just an ok running game, and they went to the Superbowl.

'Skins will probably have a better running game, and a good defense (not like that Bears defense though).

Not expecting Grossman to do anything incredible, just be serviceable, which is something I think he can do if Hightower has success running the ball.

Archived