Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

turnersportsdesk.com: Trade Talk: Redskins and Bills talking Chris Cooley for Lee Evans (M.E.T.)

DRSmith

AdamSchefter Adam Schefter

Bills wound up getting back a fourth-round pick from Baltimore for WR Lee Evans. Big move for the Ravens.

I dunno, seems like the Bills come out better then Baltimore. maybe I under value Evans though...

AdamSchefter Adam Schefter

Bills wound up getting back a fourth-round pick from Baltimore for WR Lee Evans. Big move for the Ravens.

I have no idea why the Bills would let him go for as little as a 4th....especially with 2 years left on his contract.

I guess that's why they are the Bills.

Good. I say trade Cooley. We get the better of this deal. Paulsen and Davis are fine enough to be by themselves. Cooley is aging and will never be 100% again. He's lost some speed, but he still has trade value. NOW is the time to trade him. Next year he won't be worth as much, guaranteed.

I dunno, seems like the Bills come out better then Baltimore. maybe I under value Evans though...

Over 1,000 yards a few times, with the some of the worst QBs in the league? Yes, you aren't giving him enough credit. The guy can definitely play, and he stretches the field.

As much as I love Cooley and think he is a core skin, I would nto be opposed to trading him because I believe in Fred Davis. I would be opposed to trading him for Lee Evans though, thats just rediculous. If we can't get good value for him then keep him here, hes a contributor (possibly our biggest)

Over 1,000 yards a few times, with the some of the worst QBs in the league? Yes, you aren't giving him enough credit. The guy can definitely play, and he stretches the field.

very good point i hadnt considered. I think im in draft pick mode. All I want is draft picks right now. All this building through the draft and getting young FA's that still have a lot to prove is getting to my head.

Yeah I think we can close this one now:

Ravens acquired WR Lee Evans from the Bills in exchange for a 2012 fourth-round pick.

It's an ideal fit for player and team. Evans was an overpaid No. 2 behind Steve Johnson in an offense ill-suited to his strengths as a vertical field-stretcher. The Ravens drafted Torrey Smith to fill that role, but the second-rounder proved to be not ready for prime time in Thursday's preseason opener. It's fair to wonder if Evans has lost a step coming off an average of 595 yards the past two years while entering his age-30 season. He's a worthwhile gamble, though, as Joe Flacco's big arm is the perfect match for his talents. Evans is back on the fantasy radar as a boom-or-bust WR3.

Man, these rumors just keep getting less and less believable.

Seriously doubt Shanny wants another 30 year old WR, like others have said, don't mind trading Cooley, but if they do, it better be for a position of need, preferably OL, or a draft pick.

Ah well, it generated some traffic, right? We all know that's the goal, not accurate info.

Hold on, you want to keep a player on our roster because of sentamental reasons?

Where did you get that from?

In my opinion Cooley today is the better player

I dare anyone to try and prove that Fred Davis is the better TE

Outside of youth he's got nothing on Cooley

I mentioned our history because of how Cooley should rank up there with the fans compared to our past

Cooley is great, and has been a good Redskin, but we have another TE waiting in the wings. One with huge potential, and the potential to possibly trump Cooleys stats, if given the chance.

Couple of problems with your "theory"

First off this is Davis's last year in his current contract

Second problem, Davis has never been able to rise above Cooley and make who ever was coaching him play him more.

Third problem, Cooley is signed for 3 more seasons, moving him would hit our cap

Fourth problem, Potential to possibly surpass Cooley's stats is just that...potential. I don't think Davis would be able to do that let alone feel confident in him being able to do what you suggest

The TE waiting in the wings is also a home grown draft pick, and was the top TE in his draft class.... but he should stunt his growth or trade the youth away because of the sentamental value Cooley has to this team??? We could possibly get a third rounder or a fourth rounder for him, and that can be used as ammo to trade up to get a future franchise QB, but none of that should be taken into consideration because Cooley needs to be a Redskin for life?

If home grown talent actually meant a damn to you then why would you omit that Cooley is exactly that

Home grown Probowl caliber talent

Cooley's done it on the field for the past 8 years

While Davis has sat on the bench minus a few games doing nothing

And you want to throw away said home grown talent for the "possibility" of getting a trade up scenario?

Your whole entire point on this matter is nothing but speculation

Is Davis better then Cooley? No but he has "potential to be"

Is getting said 3rd or 4th rounder for Cooley guaranteed to get us a trade up like your thinking? No but there is "potential that could happen"

I really don't get how someone who's been here all these years could be cast off for something called "potential to work out" by some of you. To me that's not a good reason at all to move a probowler in this league who's a team leader, under a good contract, and very much still productive.

I mentioned our history because of how Cooley should rank up there with the fans compared to our past

Second problem, Davis has never been able to rise above Cooley and make who ever was coaching him play him more.

Third problem, Cooley is signed for 3 more seasons, moving him would hit our cap

Fourth problem, Potential to possibly surpass Cooley's stats is just that...potential. I don't think Davis would be able to do that let alone feel confident in him being able to do what you suggest

If home grown talent actually meant a damn to you then why would you omit that Cooley is exactly that

And you want to throw away said home grown talent for the "possibility" of getting a trade up scenario?

Is getting said 3rd or 4th rounder for Cooley guaranteed to get us a trade up like your thinking? No but there is "potential that could happen"

I really don't get how someone who's been here all these years could be cast off for something called "potential to work out" by some of you. To me that's not a good reason at all to move a probowler in this league who's a team leader, under a good contract, and very much still productive.

:applause:

With the news that Evans has gone to the Ravens, this post is a good place to end this thread.

Actually, my entire post on this matter is because Cooley is getting old, and we have a young TE in his contract year that we need to see what we have in. Im not attached to the past, its been a great eight years, but we need to get value back on Cooley while he still has some, that's the genesis of my thought process.

As far as Davis not being able to "rise" above Cooley, there has been so much turnover of coaches, schemes and philosophy in the coaching dept, it would have been difficult for any young player to rise above a probowl vet. what other player has done that since Davis was drafted? as far as our cap situation goes, we are so far below it, and him being paid most of his guaranteed money already makes it very managable. Your fourth problem however isn't really a problem, its just your opinion... so not really a "problem" so to speak. Homegrown talent does "Mean a damn" to me, im just in favor for YOUNG home grown talent. I don't have any heart strings attached to Cooley like some here do.

As far as my post being speculation, I never said it was anything otherwise, we are allowed to have our own opinions arent we? My estimation of his potential is more then just broad speculation though. He was the best TE available in his draft. His college numbers speak for themself. Dude is a very good receiving TE (who blocks much better then Cooley does) with a huge upside. Its hard for someone to get on a playing field when they are directly behind a Probowl TE, so him "sitting doing nothing" as you say is a little misleading.

Getting a 3rd or 4th doesn't "guarentee a trade up" as you say, but it does give us "ammo to trade up" like I said. I never once used the term "guarentee".

I like Cooley, and I think he has done some good things for this organization. I just don't think you keep him on the roster just so he can be a "Redskin for life". Im more in favor of getting a draft pick for him while he still has value, and because we have capable bodies behind him to take his place. Its not like there isn't anyone who will ever fill Cooleys shoes, because there is, and he may be on the roster.... ooopps, there I go speculating again.

Who are some of the TE game changers in your opinion? And I'm curious to hear your Top 15

ELITE TE's

1. Antonio Gates

2. Vernon Davis

3. Tony Gonzales

4. Dallas Clark

5. Greg Olsen

6. Mercedes Lewis

7. Jason Witten

8. Brent Celek

9. Shiancoe

10. Kellen Winslow

Middle tier tight ends

This is where your Jermichael Finley's and your Chris Cooley's are. These guys are products of their systems or situations and are nothing special. You can pretty much plug and play.

ELITE TE's

1. Antonio Gates

2. Vernon Davis

3. Tony Gonzales

4. Dallas Clark

5. Greg Olsen

6. Mercedes Lewis

7. Jason Witten

8. Brent Celek

9. Shiancoe

10. Kellen Winslow

Middle tier tight ends

Interesting top 10 list- so many of them play or played for losing teams. That's where I'm struggling with your Chris Cooley theory.

ELITE TE's

1. Antonio Gates

2. Vernon Davis

3. Tony Gonzales

4. Dallas Clark

5. Greg Olsen

6. Mercedes Lewis

7. Jason Witten

8. Brent Celek

9. Shiancoe

10. Kellen Winslow

Middle tier tight ends

This is where your Jermichael Finley's and your Chris Cooley's are. These guys are products of their systems or situations and are nothing special. You can pretty much plug and play.

That's a comically bad list of "elite" tight ends. And I would take Cooley over at least half of them.

ELITE TE's

1. Antonio Gates

2. Vernon Davis

3. Tony Gonzales

4. Dallas Clark

5. Greg Olsen

6. Mercedes Lewis

7. Jason Witten

8. Brent Celek

9. Shiancoe

10. Kellen Winslow

Middle tier tight ends

Do you watch TEs? Olsen is definitely not a top 5 TE. Witten should be higher. Celek, Shiancoe, and Winslow shouldn't even be on the list.

Only Witten had more catches than Cooley. Only Witten and Davis had more yeards than Cooley. But that's not elite?

Jermichael Finley was the Packers' leading receiver last year before he got hurt. But he's not good either.

ELITE TE's

1. Antonio Gates

2. Vernon Davis

3. Tony Gonzales

4. Dallas Clark

5. Greg Olsen

6. Mercedes Lewis

7. Jason Witten

8. Brent Celek

9. Shiancoe

10. Kellen Winslow

Middle tier tight ends

I would suggest to you that Celek had a sub par year last year as did shancoe, not to mention Aaron Hernandez (the BACKUP TE for New England] and Tony Gonzalez(who's been on the decline) were only separated by 150 yards and 1 touchdown. In addition Finley was injured last year but has tremendous upside and will shortly be considered one of the best TE's in the league. I don't think I agree with your analysis. Cooley is still a top 10 TE, he's just not top 5 any more. He's better than at least 1 guy (shancoe) maybe two (celek) on your list. Of course none of this matters because Lee Evans is a Raven.

Archived