Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

turnersportsdesk.com: Trade Talk: Redskins and Bills talking Chris Cooley for Lee Evans (M.E.T.)

DRSmith

That would be a very stupid trade imo

Lee Evans is a very disappointing player.

He is 30 years old on the decline

His last 1000 yard season was over 3 years ago

He ended last year on IR

Chris Cooley is worth more then Lee Evans. I have to agree with those saying they would be pissed if we did this trade. I would be too

Santana Moss was a winner in college and the best player on our offense

Chris Samuels was a winner in college and a multiple pro bowler

London Fletcher has a Super Bowl ring

I'm not saying anything is Cooley's fault, but he's not a game changer. He benefited a lot from Jason Campbell being afraid of the deep ball. There isn't anything special about him. Don't take it personally. I have nothing against Cooley, I just think the fan base buys into the pottery store, cheerleader, and cool aspect of the guy more than they do his ability vs Fred Davis' ability.

Fred Davis is a better tight end.

EDIT: Most teams have one pass catching tight end, we have two. One is younger and is already better, the other is getting older and a fan favorite. Davis will need to block, but his primary job will be to catch. There are other blocking tight ends on the roster.

And thanks for illustrating my point....Cooley won a State Wrestling Championship.... does it look like a Lombardi Trophy? I hope so.

You said,Cooley had been a loser since he was in Washington and going back all the way to high school,your statement was proven wrong.All the aforementioned players have lost since they have been in Washington that does not make them losers.None of them have won a Lombardi as a Redskin and they are not losers,nor is Cooley.I have a problem with calling a player who has been as hard working and successful as Chris has been a loser.Davis is only better in your mind,he hasn't proven it on the field to this point.Who are these better blocking tight ends on the roster you speak of,can they catch as well as block?

Why am I not surprised. Not at trading Cooley, but at the fact we are linked to another WR. I remember writing something on Hogs Haven that Shanahan is addicted to WRs and as long as he is the coach of the team we will be linked to every WR that hit the market or possible trade talks with WRs teams are trying to ship.

I personally believe Shanahan is not going to stop until he has a all-star WR bunch. He is probably looking at the Eagles and Patriots enviously because that is the WR bunch he dreams of having. When Brandon Marhshall starts to act up in Miami then look at us to be linked to him or when Eddie Royal hit the market we will be linked to him. Larry don't resign with Cards, 33+ year old Andre Johnson hit the market, or the Eagles try to unload Desean for doing TO like things...we will be there.

Cooley is not one of the best tight ends in the game. He is in the bottom half. Sure, he might be 16 or 17, but that's the bottom half. He isn't a game changer or we would be a better team.

Why do you dislike Chris so much? You are wrong again,his numbers are top 5-10 year in and year out.

That would be a very stupid trade imo

Lee Evans is a very disappointing player.

He is 30 years old on the decline

His last 1000 yard season was over 3 years ago

He ended last year on IR

Chris Cooley is worth more then Lee Evans. I have to agree with those saying they would be pissed if we did this trade. I would be too

Trading production for non-production. :doh: Trading a Pro-Bowler for a real no name makes even more sense. :doh: Plus IMO, Cooley is the face of this franchise.

personally id like to trade cooley as soon as we can. hes 29 and still has some value, and we have fred davis who is stronger and faster behind him on the depth chart. i dont really want lee evans and would rather have a draft pick, but cooley is definitely expendable.

Sorry,the faster part was ok the stronger part,not so much.

Sorry,the faster part was ok the stronger part,not so much.

cooley "lumbers" when he gets the ball IMO. davis can actually turn on the juice. "stronger" is subjective, thats fine, remove that part. it boils down to cooley is 29, we're going to lose anyways and we might as well trade him and get some value while we still can. if it wasnt for his knee i bet he'd have been traded already.

I am all for trading Cooley right now, its what the Eagles and Pats would do (no one should be on our roster on their 3rd contract...not counting re-workings of deals for cap purposes). The only issue is that I would only trade him for draft picks, not players especially a declining WR.

LOL at some people in here saying Chris is injury prone. He broke his ankle 2 years ago and has been a 16 game guy his whole career. He has a sore knee. There are alot of guys who have sore body parts due to the lack of TC and OTAs. So a sore knee all of the sudden makes him injury prone? You guys don't have a clue.

LOL at some people saying Chris is not a game breaker. Has he ever been? I mean all TEs can't be like Jermichael Finley. Chris has always been the steady guy who can make a key catch for a 1st down.

And I keep hearing how the Patriots just dump all their key guys at the right time. It's not like they are waiting until their players hit 28 and trading them all away. They've been able to get good return on their players because Bill is a great trader. He preys on desperate teams (Raiders, Vikings).

Look, I like Chris and I think he's a key player for us. I realize he's 29 years old, but he caught 77 passes last year. He's a very consistant player for us. If the right deal came along, then, yeah, I'd consider trading him. But to say he's lost a step or injury prone, makes me think some of you guys really do not watch the games.

Sometimes people on this site really surrise me with their pure alck of knowledge about football...thats all i will say because obviously explaining why this is a **** trade is pointless

We traded two draft picks to the Philly Eagles for a QB we didn't completely assess. After we realized he didn't fit our scheme/system instead of adjusting it to his needs we traded him to Minny for a 6th rounder leaving us with one of the worst QBs in the NFL the last 5 years.

Its not just the fans. Well, you need to correct those spelling errors before you start going into to detail about someones lack of knowledge on anything.

Hail!

We currently do not have a true blocking TE. If we did trade Cooley we would be able to employ a real blocking TE (maybe Sellers, maybe someone else) which would improve our pass protection while still having Davis as a pass-catcher with big upside.

(I'm still against the trade though because I think Evans is more on the downside of his career than Cooley.)

Skinzfever iam not here to worry about my spelling mistakes, and learn the difference between a spelling mistake and a typo .....And it IS just the fans,obviously if i got into that it would take days, back to the point, the FO made a MISTAKE and admitted to it quickly by getting rid of his ass quick, they cant "asses" that Mcnabb wont wear a wristband, or that hes a knucklehead that cant run a 2 minute offense properly, theres so much you can find out from watching film....

Look, I like Chris and I think he's a key player for us. I realize he's 29 years old, but he caught 77 passes last year. He's a very consistant player for us. If the right deal came along, then, yeah, I'd consider trading him. But to say he's lost a step or injury prone, makes me think some of you guys really do not watch the games.

Yeah, it's going to be months and months before he turns 30, and he is a touchdown MACHINE for us, and as soon as his knee gets better, he will show us just how injury free he is.

Sometimes people on this site really surrise me with their pure alck of knowledge about football...thats all i will say because obviously explaining why this is a **** trade is pointless

I hear ya, but in the same vein, too often "fans" get attached to a player and it impairs their ability to see what is in the best interest for the team. The truth is, we are deep at TE, and Cooley is pulling a fairly hefty contract. There is little doubt in my mind that if Fred Davis is given the same amount of snaps as Cooley, he can be just as effective, if not better, in the offense. Blocking, Fred still needs a little work but is improving according to coaches. I'm not saying you let Cooley go for the sake of Davis, but if you can get something that will benefit this team in the long term for him, the Redskins would be nuts not to do it.

I don't get it either. Especially with our QB situation, Cooley is one of the most important players on offense. All the guy does is get first downs and is a YAC master.

I posted this in the other Trade Cooley thread that we had, but Cooley has been one of our most consistent pass-catchers each year, and is still very productive and in his peak years. At this point, he's also a better blocker than Davis.

The ONLY reason I'd think about trading Cooley is because we are deep at the TE position and have holes elsewhere. But if we do trade him, we need to get solid value in return, not Lee Evans.

Archived