Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

turnersportsdesk.com: Trade Talk: Redskins and Bills talking Chris Cooley for Lee Evans (M.E.T.)

DRSmith

The Evans rumor is nonsense, I sincerely hope. With trades, we should be looking to get younger, as we did with the McNabb and Haynesworth trades that gave us draft picks. I thought about the Jarmon/Gaffney trade, but then came to the conclusion we were trading a back-up guy who might not have made the team for a potential starter. That's acceptable. Cooley is a starter. If he gets traded, we need to get a young, potential stud or picks (at least a 2nd rounder).

I'm willing to believe pretty much any stupid trade could happen with the Redskins, I've seen so many already that it's the rule not the exception. Having said that this doesn't smell like the same kind of stupid. Trading a popular player that sells a lot of merchandise for a nobody 30 year old wide out? That's not our kind of stupid. If we had allowed Moss to sign somewhere else and traded 3rd or a 2nd for this guy... now THAT's our kind of stupid.

Im def not in favor of trading Cooley for Evans.

Im all in for trading Cooley, but if we trade him for Evans, we are getting hosed, I repeat hosed in the deal. If its Lee Evans and a third or fourth rounder, Id do it. Trading Cooley for lee Evans alone is like trading Cooley for free.

The Ravens will likely trade for Evans, the receivers there suck

I wouldn't mind putting Sleepy on the trade block, see if they want to give up a 2nd or 3rd for him

But Cooley, hell nah no way

Why are some of you not interested in keeping some players for life?

Cooley's one of those Skins 4 Life players to me, deserves a spot on the ring of fame.

Who's ever been a better TE for us outside of Jerry Smith?

If it wasn't because he was gay and died of AIDS he might of been a hall of famer

But compare the two players:

Jerry Smith:

421 catches

5496 yards

60 TD's

Cooley:

420 catches

4638 yards

66 TD's

Jerry Smith retired with a then NFL record 60 touchdown catches for tight ends. He finished 2nd All Time behind Hall Of Famer Mike Ditka for receptions and yards receiving by tight ends.

Cooley should be here for life

Yeah, it's going to be months and months before he turns 30, and he is a touchdown MACHINE for us, and as soon as his knee gets better, he will show us just how injury free he is.

Thanks for the sarcasm Wilbur, but the guy has been very consistant for us. And if a team is relying on their TE to be their touchdown MACHINE, then the team has alot more problems than that. This isn't Fantasy Football. Teams usually rely more on the RBs and WRs to score TDs. And the Redskins have been very touchdown deficient for 10 years or more. We constantly are among the league leaders in FG attempts and amongst the worst in TDs scored. So it's not just Cooley.

I wouldn't mind putting Sleepy on the trade block, see if they want to give up a 2nd or 3rd for him

Cooley's one of those Skins 4 Life players to me, deserves a spot on the ring of fame.

If it wasn't because he was gay and died of AIDS he might of been a hall of famer

Jerry Smith:

421 catches

5496 yards

60 TD's

Cooley:

420 catches

4638 yards

66 TD's

Jerry Smith retired with a then NFL record 60 touchdown catches for tight ends. He finished 2nd All Time behind Hall Of Famer Mike Ditka for receptions and yards receiving by tight ends.

Cooley should be here for life[/quote

Thanks for the Jerry Smith info. He was one of my favorite players, and it pains me to think that he could be forgotten. Remember that season when most of his receptions were TDs? Being compared to Jerry Smith should make Cooley proud.

Total BS rumor. Evans would do nothing for us. This may be the year Davis takes Cooley's job -- I think Sleepy has best TE in the league potential -- but you don't trade Capt Chaos unless you get something valuable in return. I like having both of them.

ughhh. I am for trading Cooley, but not for Evans. I would hope we could just get a 3rd and be done with it.

I agree with you on the Evans part but would not give Cooley up for a 3rd. When is the last time the Skins hit on a 3rd. Much rather have the proven commodity at this point.

People on this board have a terrible habit of overvaluing our own and dismissing any players not on the Skins or in the probowl as bums. To clarify, I would NOT do this deal. Not because Lee Evans is a bum or a nothing receiver, but because of the age. He's 30 (Cooler is only 1 year younger), but to me if you trade Cooley it would be for a pick or a player in the 25-27 age range. If Evans was 3 years younger i would jump all over this deal. Evenas is a deep threat that has consistenly had a high yards per reception average and have been a victim to playing with a poor QB, behind a bad o-line, and in bad weather conditions. A a #2 receiver on a team like Arizona he would be great.

Again I wouldn't make the deal for where we are in rebuilding our roster, but lets not act as though Cooley is soo much more valuable than Evans. Chris has been a very consistent player for us but is not an elite tight end. IMO hes on the the top of the 2nd tier of tight ends but is not a dynamci game changer at the position by any stretch. On top of the he has had multiple concussions, a knee injury that he's still coming back from, and a serious ankle injury so I don't see how he's that much more valuable than a Lee Evans.

At his age and salary if we can move him for picks or a younger player, we should do it because it is the right football decision. We have Fred Davis in the wings who proved that he can play filling in for Cooley at the end of the '09 season. In less time he has had 9 tds over the past 2 seasons compared to Cooley's 5 which to me indicates he might have a higher upside and from all reports he has looked great in TC this year. I know Chris is popular, but popularity doesn't win games. This team needs to make the right football decision when it comes down to it and commit to Fred Davis in the near future. If we don't we'll be left with an aging tight end and we'll need to waste resources filling a need that didn't have to exist.

Jerry Smith:

421 catches

5496 yards

60 TD's

Cooley:

420 catches

4638 yards

66 TD's

Cooley should be here for life

Hold on, you want to keep a player on our roster because of sentamental reasons? Cooley is great, and has been a good Redskin, but we have another TE waiting in the wings. One with huge potential, and the potential to possibly trump Cooleys stats, if given the chance. The TE waiting in the wings is also a home grown draft pick, and was the top TE in his draft class.... but he should stunt his growth or trade the youth away because of the sentamental value Cooley has to this team??? We could possibly get a third rounder or a fourth rounder for him, and that can be used as ammo to trade up to get a future franchise QB, but none of that should be taken into consideration because Cooley needs to be a Redskin for life?

Cooley for Evans = Us getting hosed.

Cooley for draft picks = a win for the FO.

Archived