Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

turnersportsdesk.com: Trade Talk: Redskins and Bills talking Chris Cooley for Lee Evans (M.E.T.)

DRSmith

I tend to agree with DC9's comments about re-thinking how long you keep a marquee player (especially when his replacement is ready for more playing time).

Cooley is a fan favorite, he's got talent and would flourish in many systems. He's got plenty in the tank left, and is a saavy, cagey veteran. As such, he's still got trade value and market appeal.

Trading him now and you get some value back. Waiting a year or two longer, and you get very little (if any) in return.

Bottom line is that the Skins need to decide if they plan to have Cooley here forever as a Skin, or if they recognize that they are in a major rebuild and need an influx of new and younger talent up and down the roster -- including TE and "H-back".

That said, I don't understand why the Skins would want to trade Cooley for Evans --- another WR? Why not for some other position where the Skins don't already have a glut of candidates. Or maybe a draft pick. Or some kind of bundled trade of players and picks?

I That said, I don't understand why the Skins would want to trade Cooley for Evans --- another WR? Why not for some other position where the Skins don't already have a glut of candidates. Or maybe a draft pick. Or some kind of bundled trade of players and picks?

I think you hit the nail on the head there. Even if you do think trading Cooley is a good idea, why trade an 8th year pass catcher who is 29 for an 8th year pass catcher who is 30? That's nonsense. If I was going to even consider unloading Cooley for our 15th WR who is even older than #47, I'd at least expect some draft picks to come with it.

What's REAL frightening is they'll be a plethora of 'fans' on here all for this as the day rolls on.

Hail.

Nail on the head GHH. ES is already snailing for me for some reason this morning. I don't know if its just happening to me, but ES page loads have been horribly slow at certain times over the last week or so. When this place gets overloaded today i'm afraid its gonna be unbearable. Anybody else having this problem or is it on my end?

I tend to agree with DC9's comments about re-thinking how long you keep a marquee player (especially when his replacement is ready for more playing time).

Cooley is a fan favorite, he's got talent and would flourish in many systems. He's got plenty in the tank left, and is a saavy, cagey veteran. As such, he's still got trade value and market appeal.

Trading him now and you get some value back. Waiting a year or two longer, and you get very little (if any) in return.

Bottom line is that the Skins need to decide if they plan to have Cooley here forever as a Skin, or if they recognize that they are in a major rebuild and need an influx of new and younger talent up and down the roster -- including TE and "H-back".

That said, I don't understand why the Skins would want to trade Cooley for Evans --- another WR? Why not for some other position where the Skins don't already have a glut of candidates. Or maybe a draft pick. Or some kind of bundled trade of players and picks?

And this is what I hope the Skins FO is thinking....We need to look at teams like the Pats and how they stockpile picks/players via trade. They don't hold on to players for sentimental value or to "appease" fans (heard a comment the other day saying that if the Skins trade Cooley, the fans would be upset....you know what? Get over it.). They move players when they feel as though they can get good/better value back.

Now, I wouldn't move Cooley for Evans straight up, but if the FO can somehow finagle a pick out of it as well, MAKE THE MOVE! Personally, I think Cooley's value is a 3rd or 4th round pick at best (at this point). I don't think it will be any higher. Remember, Tony Gonzalez netted a 2nd, and Cooley isn't anywhere close to being on that level. The longer we hold on to Cooley the more he depreciates. We have a young stud waiting in the wings, and I honestly think that Davis can come close or best Cooley's numbers (from last year). From all reports, he's been beasting in camp. We drafted him high and he looks like the one dude out of our 2nd round "busts" that will actually have a somewhat productive NFL career. I wouldn't be the slightest bit upset of Cooley is moved.

sure we should trade Cooley for Evans....and a 2ND! No way is Evans worth Cooley straight up. I know our GM is smarter than this.

And no GM is dumb enough to give a 2nd rounder for Cooley as a throw-in or straight up.

Not going to disagree with you on the trade aspect (at least for Evans). I am all about trading Cooley, I think he's over rated and Fred Davis is much better at this point. I really don't care what anyone else thinks about Cooley or his jersey sales. But, that being said, Cooley is far from his prime, man. Ever since he went down with the ankle injury (and Fred Davis came in and was on fire) he hasn't been the same.

Cooley has never played for a winner and he's never been a winner, all the way back to high school. Great dude, fun guy, not a winner.

I guess it's all Cooley's fault this team hasn't won since he has been here. By your standards Chris Samuels,Santana Moss,or London Fletcher are losers also.Davis has shown flashes but isn't as good of blocker,I would say that at Fred's current weight of 243 he can't be used as an effective every down tight end.Hopefully there will be more 2 te sets and they can both be utilized.Cooley is a Redskin and should remain one,he is still a top 7-10 te in this league. Davis may be upper echelon someday but isn't currently.Oh, Cooley won a state wrestling championship.

Nail on the head GHH. ES is already snailing for me for some reason this morning. I don't know if its just happening to me, but ES page loads have been horribly slow at certain times over the last week or so. When this place gets overloaded today i'm afraid its gonna be unbearable. Anybody else having this problem or is it on my end?

Not to press today bud, but of late I've been having a **** load of issues with ES running at a slower pace than Clinton Portis trying to prove he's still "got it" with all the increased traffic since the end of the lock-out.

I fully expect it to be a no hope area around game time.

Hail

I guess it's all Cooley's fault this team hasn't won since he has been here. By your standards Chris Samuels,Santana Moss,or London Fletcher are losers also.Davis has shown flashes but isn't as good of blocker,I would say that at Fred's current weight of 243 he can't be used as an effective every down tight end.Hopefully there will be more 2 te sets and they can both be utilized.Cooley is a Redskin and should remain one,he is still a top 7-10 te in this league. Davis may be upper echelon someday but isn't currently.Oh, Cooley won a state wrestling championship.

No we're ok moving on without him. This is a new day. No need to keep players with little left in the tank when you can get something of value for them. If Vinny was here Clinton Portis would still be our starting RB. Gone are those days. Chris, it was good while it lasted. Go spend the next 3 years of you career trying to win a Superbowl. Good luck doing that in Buffalo lol

HAIL!

Not to press today bud, but of late I've been having a **** load of issues with ES running at a slower pace than Clinton Portis trying to prove he's still "got it" with all the increased traffic since the end of the lock-out.

I fully expect it to be a no hope area around game time.

Hail

Well, although it sucks, I guess i'm glad to hear that its not just me. I think you're right, by 6pm eastern, this place will probably be gridlock.

---------- Post added August-12th-2011 at 07:28 AM ----------

No we're ok moving on without him. This is a new day. No need to keep players with little left in the tank when you can get something of value for them. If Vinny was here Clinton Portis would still be our starting RB. Gone are those days. Chris, it was good while it lasted. Go spend the next 3 years of you career trying to win a Superbowl. Good luck doing that in Buffalo lol

HAIL!

You seriously think that Cooley has "little left in the tank"?

I still have to be convinced that Davis is the same player Cooley is . Cooley is by far the better blocker - Davis remember was very raw in this part of his game ... he was a WR remember .

Davis to me will top out like a Gregg Olsen one dimensional pass catching TE . Davis has more TDs in the RZ but disappears between the 20s . Will make the spectacular catch for the big gain but drop the clutch catch over the middle on 3rd and 6 for the 1st down .... He has an opportunity right now to show he has developed (Davis) but I am in a wait and see mode .

Cooley has been a vital part of the offense for years and is scarrily consistant - regardless of the scheme and regardless of the QBs or complementing personell - He is a willing blocker and fior a couple of years his numbers were limited because he was back to block for a lot of downs .

The key value Cooley has is as a chain mover and while he has less TDs than Davis almost all of Cooleys career TDs come from outside the RZ where typically the Gibbs eara would move to a Jumbo running attack and Zorn would move to a fake field goal formation ..

Well, although it sucks, I guess i'm glad to hear that its not just me. I think you're right, by 6pm eastern, this place will probably be gridlock.

---------- Post added August-12th-2011 at 07:28 AM ----------

You seriously think that Cooley has "little left in the tank"?

He can barely practice because of soreness in his knee. Hes got 2 good years left at best. TEs have been on the move this year in the NFL. I love the fact that we are dangling him at other teams. Nobody is safe anymore. I don't care about what you did here in 2005. Lets see what the market like is for the players we over-value and love so much.

Every decent TE to be traded the last few years has been traded for a 2nd and a 5th. That's guys like a 35 year old Gonzo, K2 and Shockey. Cooley is in the same tier as Gonzo, but younger. Why would we trade him for an older WR when we drafted 3, traded for one and signed 2? Even without the Comb, we still don't have the room on the roster for another.

That said, I really do think Cooley is being shopped. Shanny likes his TEs to be like Sharp and Davis is. We also need blockers at TE for our scheme and although CC is a much better blocker than Fred, he isn't going to seal the edge or lay out LBs consistently.

That said, if CC is traded, I will still wear his Jersey.

I will be heartbroken if Cooley is traded. He's one of the main reasons I started following the 'Skins when I started to get into the NFL a few years back.

I know that the NFL is a business and it's all about winning, but a team needs to win with some soul, too. Otherwise it's a wasted venture.

Chris Cooley is currently the soul of the Redskins.

I will be heartbroken if Cooley is traded. He's one of the main reasons I started following the 'Skins when I started to get into the NFL a few years back.

I know that the NFL is a business and it's all about winning, but a team needs to win with some soul, too. Otherwise it's a wasted venture.

Chris Cooley is currently the soul of the Redskins.

Chris is the soul? We suck

Chris is a tragic hero like anyone else who has been here through all the tumultuous bull **** seasons we have had to endure. I always hoped that we would trade him to a contender so he can compete for a ring. The bills are terrible lol.

Cooley has been my favorite Skin for the last several years. Being from Wyoming, he is that much more fun to root for. I don't know how I feel about trading him. I know he has trade value that could bring us help in another area since we have Davis and now Paulsen who sounds like he is making strides. But for me Cooley is one of those guys you wish would retire as a Redskin. This is a tough one for me to even contemplate.

so being a NNT=numious nimble thinker you could not discern this from actual news? Elevated spiritual awareness should tell you this is NOT going to happen. This gets a c'mon man.
Crap I mixed this one up the Skins actual twitter, put a little too much into it.

Hmm seems I aknowledged my mistake and not sure what spiritual awareness has to do with will the Skins trade Cooley or not.

Archived