Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Beck VS. Grossman: Who Wins?

COWBOY-KILLA-

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I'd like to go out on a limb and give credit to Rex wayyyyyyyyyyy more than some of you do. IMO he is better than Camble, Burnell, McNabb,Ramsey etc. My point is I believe in the past X amount of years he has and is our best option we've had at QB. His only problem (like kyle shanny said) is his consistency. If you look at the 2nd half of the Dallas game from last year, Rex lead us back from a 20 point deficit. Let's not forget about his arm streangth. He has a cannon. His weakness comes from 2nd guessing himself and throwing into double coverage or holding onto the ball to long. I feel all those negatives will fade as he gets PT and practice. He already knows the playbook which is a plus so I for one would perfer Rex to Beck 500-1.

I'm with you.. I think I'd much rather go with Rex at QB and see what he can do with a season under his belt in the system... This video makes me want the season to start tomorrow though. I'm pumped, can't wait.

I still don't understand why people are interpreting Shannahan's comments about Beck as giving Beck the advantage. What was MS supposed to say about the only QB he had under contract? I don't count McNabb, because there was no way he'd ever return.

And another thing: a coach doesn't hang his hat--no matter what he says in front of some microphones--on a 29 year old project QB who spent the year before on the practice squad, and was acquired in a trade for Doug Dutch.

Let me say this again: John Beck was acquired by the Redskins last year....for Doug Dutch. That's the level of investment we are talking about.

Love this post, last line repeated for emphasis. Didn't Laruso take out Dutch of the Cobra Kai in the third round? Great point, what would any coach say about the only QB in camp. I am sure Shanny hopes that Beck wins the job and he looks credible but if Rex outperforms in the preseason, he will make the call after preseason game 3.

I can't believe there's a thread titled "Beck VS. Grossman: Who Wins?"

As bad as things have been, if you woulda have told me this time last year that Beck and Grossman would be fighting for the starting job in 2011 I would have never believed you. But its indeed true. <sigh>

A lot of you (minus a few) are neglecting Kellen Clemens completely. I think this is going to be a pure 5-way competition. I think the two rookies have already played themselves out of the starting opportunity. So we're down to Beck, Grossman and Clemens. We'll see.

I'd like to go out on a limb and give credit to Rex wayyyyyyyyyyy more than some of you do. IMO he is better than Camble, Burnell, McNabb,Ramsey etc. My point is I believe in the past X amount of years he has and is our best option we've had at QB. His only problem (like kyle shanny said) is his consistency. If you look at the 2nd half of the Dallas game from last year, Rex lead us back from a 20 point deficit. Let's not forget about his arm streangth. He has a cannon. His weakness comes from 2nd guessing himself and throwing into double coverage or holding onto the ball to long. I feel all those negatives will fade as he gets PT and practice. He already knows the playbook which is a plus so I for one would perfer Rex to Beck 500-1.

He might be the best QB on our squad at this time, but we have had better in the recent past. In the Dallas game, he contributed to the 20 point lead the Cowboys had with a typical Sexy Rexy fumble, and killed the comback with a INT. And let us not forget about his arm strength, which is average AT BEST. Rex has several weaknesses, among them: average arm, throws into coverage, throws alot of ints, very inconsistent, easily rattled, and he fumbles alot. He will probably be the starter on Opening Day, but he isnt very good.

A lot of you (minus a few) are neglecting Kellen Clemens completely. I think this is going to be a pure 5-way competition. I think the two rookies have already played themselves out of the starting opportunity. So we're down to Beck, Grossman and Clemens. We'll see.
Kellen is at a disadvantage. He is well behind on experience in the scheme.

If Beck and Rex are close in the preseason, Beck will get the nod because he fits the scheme better and has more potential than Rex.

Kellen is at a disadvantage. He is well behind on experience in the scheme.

If Beck and Rex are close in the preseason, Beck will get the nod because he fits the scheme better and has more potential than Rex.

I'd have to agree that the opening day starter will be one of the two. I'm not sure either one is going to be the starter by week 10, though. But, we'll see. I really have no idea. I just think Clemens has a chance.

I'd have to agree that the opening day starter will be one of the two. I'm not sure either one is going to be the starter by week 10, though. But, we'll see. I really have no idea. I just think Clemens has a chance.
I have a low opinion of Schotty Jr and his offense. I think he has the talent needed to make his QBs look bad. So, I'm open-minded on Kellen.

Agree about Clemens. He's not per se a scrub. There was a time not that long ago where the NY papers where talking about him as the QB of the future for the Jets. He is a 2nd rounder. He's also 2 years younger than the other 2 QB's.

This thread is a hard dose of reality. i voted for Beck because he seems to be putting in the work, whereas, Sexy Rexy is two cheeseburgers away from injuring himself on national TV. Unless he wants to make himself the first QB/OL hybrid and be our 6th OL on running plays I am going to be rooting for Beck.

I see Rex easily winning this competition in the preseason. After that I wouldn't be surprised to see Grossman putting up pro bowl numbers all season long. The only thing that could hold him back would be a bad O-line, and I believe this line is going to be at least serviceable, unlike years past. Rex is gonna tear the league up and take everyone by surprise.

I can't understand for the life of me how a professional athlete can put on that much weight in such a short amount of time. Unless he has some unreleased medical condition, that weight gain is a bit worrisome.

May need to renickname the "Sex Cannon" to the "Food Vacuum"

You don't get that chunky sexing it up, after all.

New Rex catchphrase- **** it, I'm going to eat.

May need to renickname the "Sex Cannon" to the "Food Vacuum"

You don't get that chunky sexing it up, after all.

New Rex catchphrase- **** it, I'm going to eat.

Come on SpacePenguin, you're better than that. The **** it, I'm going to eat is great, but keep with the space theme. The "Black Hole" is much better.

I think Grossman is the definite winner in this competition. He's definitely turnover prone but he's also the only guy we have that can light it up out there too. When he's on and has protection, he can be devastating. I think he gives our skill players the best chance to make big plays and get opportunities. I think Beck will miss them or check down way too often. Sexy Rexy isn't afraid to gun it in there or go deep and give our receivers a chance to make a play and I think that's worth the turnover potential given our other options.

I think if he's healthy all year he goes for 3,500 yards with 20+ touchdowns but will equal that scoring number in interceptions and fumbles....

If the line can give him protection though and the coaches can help him with the turnovers, it could go better than expected. Ultimately, the hope for Grossman is he's hot and cold rather than lukewarm - he'll straight up destroy teams when on and we win, and hopefully when he's off and having one of those frequent 2 interceptions, 3 fumbles types of games, the defense can pick up the slack and keep us in it.

I think we can be a sleeper team but I don't see us winning more than 8 games. I'm looking more for the team to look good and the skill offensive players (young ones) to show what they can do and give us something to look forward to in the future.

Come on SpacePenguin, you're better than that. The **** it, I'm going to eat is great, but keep with the space theme. The "Black Hole" is much better.

Heh, well its not like Rex is from space. Black Hole isn't bad though.

I agree with the rest of your post, of course Rex will probably start. The interception/fumble issues he's had just makes me hope for the unknown....so I voted Beck.

Just having a little fun though, I don't mind either as a starting QB, really...Even with all the ints/fumbles, Rex still looked pretty good at the end of last year. At least for a Redskins QB.

Archived