Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Beck VS. Grossman: Who Wins?

COWBOY-KILLA-

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

True

but maybe he can overcome those short-comings in an offense tailor made to accentuate his strengths.

He just turns the ball over too much. You can't do that and win. So, Pre-Season is going to be big for that observation. He played his best football as a pro in half a game (the first half was garbage) last year vs. the Cowpukes. He says he's like to be consistent like that half a game. But the first half counted. The only reason we didn't blow out Dallas that game was because we gave them the ball. If he wins the Pre-Season competition then fine, cool, whatever...It will be a short leash with his turning over the ball before Beck will get his shot. If he doesn't turn it over...they'll probably win!

I thought, before the reports of Rex coming into camp all fat, that Rex was the clear winner.

Now, thanks to his late-night twinkie binges, I'm not really sure but I'll still give him the edge because he passed the ball well at the end of the season, he just needs to stop dropping the ball.

Grossman hands down.. won't even be a contest.

If Beck were 24... he might have more of a chance if he showed some flashes but were inconsistent.

Beck will have to do nothing less than straight up look better than Grossman to win.

That simply is not going to happen.

---------- Post added August-4th-2011 at 09:40 PM ----------

I want to throw another comment in here.. and this is in no way racist at all.. nor I am putting down anyones religion...

But... A mormon way of life is very very different than say a black baptist or christian way of life.

I wonder how accepted Beck would be as a leader from that standpoint..

I'm going with my Gator homies Sexy Rexy and JaBurglar Gaffney to light up the scoreboard.
Only if Gaffney scores on reverses. :ols: Seriously, if Beck wins and performs even adequately, well, then Shanny's ego wins. May have to take out some more seats in FedEx so his head can fit in there if that happens. I think Shanny knows what he has in Rex, hopes Beck steps up during the preseason but I expect Grossman for all the previous reasons mentioned to be the starter opening day. If, a big IF, our O line gels and stays healthy, Rex could lead us to a .500 season and in a season like that, you are always just a few turnovers away from 9-7 and a wildcard.

Rex has always looked fat. He's short and stocky.

Apparently looked pretty damn sharp today on the field.

Who knows? We'll see how preseason goes.

People who think Rex looked bad last year need to go back and watch those games again on You Tube. People say Dallas was his best game -- I actually think it was the Giants game.

I know it sounds insane, but I'm anxious to see both Rex and Beck in preseason. This is an awesome scheme -- guys will be open.

But... A mormon way of life is very very different than say a black baptist or christian way of life.

Yeah, I heard no player on the 49ers ever looked to Steve Young as a leader. I heard Jerry Rice say he would have looked to Young as a leader except for that whole weird not drinking coffee thing. Just couldn't get past that I guess.

I would start Grossman, but from everything I have read and heard, seems the Shanahans see something special (although I'm not sure what) in Beck

I tend to agree here. I want to see what Beck is made of. And I can wait until we're out of playoff contention to see it :)

---------- Post added August-5th-2011 at 12:01 AM ----------

Im pulling hard for Beck. With Grossman we know we are in big trouble but with Beck, at least we dont know it yet! :ols:

"We" don't know that at all about Grossman. From everything I've seen from him so far, he looks like a Quarterback that is very comfortable in this system and is only as good as his supporting cast.

I pick voted for Rex because he has the most experience in the league and has proven he can win games unlike Beck. Now Beck hasn't really had a real good chance anywhere he has been because of reasons unknown. He is easily better than Henne in Miami but for some reason the Dolphins are still sticking with him. maybe it is due to a poor coach in Sporano that we happen to have Beck. I wouldn't be surprised if Shanahan starts Beck over Grossman because he has publicly endorsed Beck. But the best choice IMO is to start with Grossman and if it works well stay with him. If not Beck is still there to come in and play. I think we are in a good position to have this type of competition. Just don't know what you will get out of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akCNVezROwg

I'd like to go out on a limb and give credit to Rex wayyyyyyyyyyy more than some of you do. IMO he is better than Camble, Burnell, McNabb,Ramsey etc. My point is I believe in the past X amount of years he has and is our best option we've had at QB. His only problem (like kyle shanny said) is his consistency. If you look at the 2nd half of the Dallas game from last year, Rex lead us back from a 20 point deficit. Let's not forget about his arm streangth. He has a cannon. His weakness comes from 2nd guessing himself and throwing into double coverage or holding onto the ball to long. I feel all those negatives will fade as he gets PT and practice. He already knows the playbook which is a plus so I for one would perfer Rex to Beck 500-1.

I'm actually shocked to see Grossman carrying the vast majority of the votes in this thread.

I think it boils down to more than actual play, and that is why I voted Beck.

If their stats are even somewhat negligible following pre-season game #4, Beck will win the job. In my opinion, Grossman has to have a 60-40 edge in performance to take the job. Even if it's 55-45 in favor of Rex, Beck still wins it.

How many times have we heard Shannahan say that "Beck was his #1 rated QB coming out that year (2007), and it wasn't even close."?

Grossman's one-year deal is also indicative of the direction they are taking. Back-ups sign one year deals. Starting QB's typically do not. They re-signed Rex for stability and insurance, but not for leadership or first string.

Shannahan is hanging his hat on Beck, and that is why he will win, barring a supremely lackluster performance on his part, combined with a hall of fame worthy showing on Rex's part.

just my opinion.

Yeah, I heard no player on the 49ers ever looked to Steve Young as a leader. I heard Jerry Rice say he would have looked to Young as a leader except for that whole weird not drinking coffee thing. Just couldn't get past that I guess.

Hey.. that's a fair point. Was just bringing it up because it really hadn't been mentioned. NFL players tend to be pretty spiritual guys.. so didn't know if that would be a factor in potential leadership abilities.

Didn't seem to hinder Steve Young's career...........

Shannahan is hanging his hat on Beck, and that is why he will win, barring a supremely lackluster performance on his part, combined with a hall of fame worthy showing on Rex's part.

just my opinion.

I still don't understand why people are interpreting Shannahan's comments about Beck as giving Beck the advantage. What was MS supposed to say about the only QB he had under contract? I don't count McNabb, because there was no way he'd ever return.

And another thing: a coach doesn't hang his hat--no matter what he says in front of some microphones--on a 29 year old project QB who spent the year before on the practice squad, and was acquired in a trade for Doug Dutch.

Let me say this again: John Beck was acquired by the Redskins last year....for Doug Dutch. That's the level of investment we are talking about.

Archived