Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Adam Schefter: Arizona trades Tim Hightower to Skins for Vonnie Holliday and pick

VetMinimum+Incentives

no one is scared of hightower. he puts the ball on the ground entirely too much. he fumbled 5 times last yr and 5 times the yr before that which is horrid. he was brought here to pass block on 3rd downs. torrain and helu should still see majority of carries

he fumbles too much, but that doesnt mean nobody is scared of him. when he's not fumbling, he moves the ball.

Great post. Guys your not appreciating the value Vonnie Holiday brought to our team last year

I have little reason to think this is at all true. If we were going to release Holiday we would have been making a pretty boneheaded mistake imo

Please read this:

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/03/28/secret-superstar-vonnie-holliday/

2010 was another year where Holliday finished in the top ten of our 3-4 defensive end rankings. He ended up ninth (after two years in the top three) and played exceptionally well in nickel situations. Ending the year with only three sacks isn’t going to set any tongues wagging, but his 25 total quarterback disruptions on 295 pass rushes was the fifth best ratio of any 3-4 end.

That was better than ends like Darnell Dockett, Glenn Dorsey and Luis Castillo. Players with bigger reps, and bigger contracts.

If they get a 6th rounder and Holiday then they did. If they got a 7th I think it's a push but also depends on how Hightower performs. With Holiday you have a great role playing DE you know your going to get production from. If Hightower doesn't work out this was a bad trade for us

Gotta say your stats on Holiday are surprising. But when you go into the season with these QBs obviously you are still in rebuild mode. So I got no problem trading a DE who will be 37 in December for a 25 year old RB who has been productive in this league.

Gotta say your stats on Holiday are surprising. But when you go into the season with these QBs obviously you are still in rebuild mode. So I got no problem trading a DE who will be 37 in December for a 25 year old RB who has been productive in this league.

Exactly. Holliday's not the future, and the reason you keep a 35 year old around is because you think you're going to win now, which is not the case. I'm ready to move forward with Jenkins, Cofield, and Bowen.

As far as the draft pick goes, stop panicking people! It will more than likely end up being one of the McNabb 6's. And I'm fine with that because frankly I was in the crowd of people who thought that we wouldn't get anything for McNabb.

Besides, if the Redskins have another draft like they did in 2011, we won't have to worry about shortage of picks.

Good move IMO. Hightower should not be viewed as a potential feature back or true competition for a #1 role. We should play him to his strength, which is a 3rd down role with good blocking and pass catching ability. He's good depth in case we have an injury and need someone to fill in for a game or 2 & might be able to give us a goal line punch.

I don't think this should rule out Bradshaw IMO. Bradshaw is a featured back and right now we don't have one. I like Torain but he lacks elusiveness and can't be depended on because of injuries. Helu still could have a role as a change of pace home run threat. I'd LOVE it if we became far more run oriented in a division where everyone else has gone finesse and pass oriented.

I just don't see that Bradshaw is worth what he is asking for the Redskins. He might be a value signing as a power runner with NY or Tampa but not here. Especially if he is looking at Williams contract as a feature back and expects the same money ( 8 million a year)

It looks like Shanahan is forming a running back by committee approach. Or at least to me

fixed

Oh no, I was not very excited about us last offseason. The McNabb trade filled me with dread at the time. The Haynesworth drama was tiresome. I wasn't excited about most of the coaches we hired and I was skeptical of Bruce Allen's credentials from the moment he was hired.

This is awesome though. Tim is one of my favorite players and I was a little heartbroken when Arizona drafted him in 2008. Now he's on my favorite team, in a system where smart, decisive, hard charging running backs like him have put up huge numbers in the past. I won't even care how many games we win this year if Tim runs for a ton of yards.

I like Holliday more than most and have been talking about how good he was for months, but we had nothing invested in him and it made sense to part ways. Consider:

- He was aging and entering his late 30s, that doesn't make sense for us in the short or long term.

- We just got very crowded on the defensive line this offseason, it's only a 7 man group and Cofield, Bowen, Jenkins, Bryant, and Carriker, are your primary starting options.

- Didn't want to have to cut quality younger players like Neild to make room for a player without much of a future here because of his age

- We got a really nice young player in return for Holliday, getting value in return for a player we'd have probably had to cut this TC or next TC.

It's sad to part ways with guys like Holliday and Philip Daniels. It sucks to get so little in return for the absolute headache that was Haynesworth. But it's terrific for our long term health at the DL to move on from each of those three players.

---------- Post added August-1st-2011 at 10:03 AM ----------

'K, I gota' ask. Presuming you haven't been distracted by either someone walking in the room or another site ..... tits?

Hail.

I thought people might like that.

What are more wonderful than tits?

What can be a more pure expression of joy than tits?

Oh no, I was not very excited about us last offseason. The McNabb trade filled me with dread at the time. The Haynesworth drama was tiresome. I wasn't excited about most of the coaches we hired and I was skeptical of Bruce Allen's credentials from the moment he was hired.

This is awesome though. Tim is one of my favorite players and I was a little heartbroken when Arizona drafted him in 2008. Now he's on my favorite team, in a system where smart, decisive, hard charging running backs like him have put up huge numbers in the past. I won't even care how many games we win this year if Tim runs for a ton of yards.

I was just kidding. I "fixed" it because I always find myself getting excited every offseason

This is a great pick up. He put up solid numbers on a pass first team. He's not physically gifted like the top tier RBs in the league but he's great as a role player. He blocks well, has great hands, has a nice burst, runs back KO's, great at short yardage and doesn't make mental mistakes. Yes he puts the ball on the ground but that can be fixed. He's a blue collar player that's not flashy but produces when asked to.

If he stays healthy, this will go down as a London Fletcher type addition to this team.

2008 was supposed to be a one two punch of Edge and JJ Arrington. Edge had just come off of a 1200yd/5 season and JJ Arrington was supposed to take over but all you heard and read about in training camp was Tim Hightower.

I took him second in my Dynasy league and it paid off HUGE.

He's a good kid, keeps his mouth shut and all he does is make plays.

I like Holliday more than most and have been talking about how good he was for months, but we had nothing invested in him and it made sense to part ways. Consider:

- He was aging and entering his late 30s, that doesn't make sense for us in the short or long term.

- We just got very crowded on the defensive line this offseason, it's only a 7 man group and Cofield, Bowen, Jenkins, Bryant, and Carriker, are your primary starting options.

- Didn't want to have to cut quality younger players like Neild to make room for a player without much of a future here because of his age

- We got a really nice young player in return for Holliday, getting value in return for a player we'd have probably had to cut this TC or next TC.

It's sad to part ways with guys like Holliday and Philip Daniels. It sucks to get so little in return for the absolute headache that was Haynesworth. But it's terrific for our long term health at the DL to move on from each of those three players.

---------- Post added August-1st-2011 at 10:03 AM ----------

um a quicky at work? wait is this retorical?;):ols:

I have never heard/read an American using that expression before, I had always assumed tits was an English/UK expression. But as you say tits are almost never a bad thing - unless they are on men.

'K, I gota' ask. Presuming you haven't been distracted by either someone walking in the room or another site ..... tits?

Hail.

I can't believe people haven't heard that before. It's like talking to buddies after the game and you bring up the deep TD pass that AA caught over his shoulder in the back of the end zone...to which your buddy replies...

"Damn, that catch was the TITS!"

or

The Skins whoop up on Dallas and send em home humiliated, only in the process Orakpo and Kerrigan converge on Romo sits to pee in the pocket and force a sack-fumble, knocking Romo sits to pee out for a few weeks with an injury...

"That play was the TITS!"

we did just draft royster and helu, but those guys have yet to play, we really dont know what we have there and we cant depend on them. torrain will most likely get injured at some point if he is the featured back every week. this move brings in extra support at the position, which we will need. remember last season when we were putting random people out there? not gonna happen this year.

from what i have seen of hightower is that he is a hard runner, determined, and a good teammate. not too flashy, not too strong, or really speedy, but has a little bit of each. has good pass blocking skills, can catch out of the backfield, and can help the young back made a good transition into the league. honestly, i think this system is a good fit for him and that he has the potential to get even better. his running style kinda reminds me of marion barber, which i like.

bottom line, to compete in the east this year, we are going to have to be very physical and depend on the run... torrain and hightower should provide that consistantly. helu/royster should be the change of pace.

keiland williams is gone imo, ok fill in, but not fast enough. holliday probably would have been cut anyways, so i dont mind, and the pick we give up will be well worth what we get in return.

another good move shanny.

we did just draft royster and helu, but those guys have yet to play, we really dont know what we have there and we cant depend on them. torrain will most likely get injured at some point if he is the featured back every week. this move brings in extra support at the position, which we will need. remember last season when we were putting random people out there? not gonna happen this year.

from what i have seen of hightower is that he is a hard runner, determined, and a good teammate. not too flashy, not too strong, or really speedy, but has a little bit of each. has good pass blocking skills, can catch out of the backfield, and can help the young back made a good transition into the league. honestly, i think this system is a good fit for him and that he has the potential to get even better. his running style kinda reminds me of marion barber, which i like.

bottom line, to compete in the east this year, we are going to have to be very physical and depend on the run... torrain and hightower should provide that consistantly. helu/royster should be the change of pace.

keiland williams is gone imo, ok fill in, but not fast enough. holliday probably would have been cut anyways, so i dont mind, and the pick we give up will be well worth what we get in return.

another good move shanny.

I agree with you about Keiland Williams. They are probably just going to cut ties with him. There isn't even going to be a PS spot for him.

Archived