Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Adam Schefter: Arizona trades Tim Hightower to Skins for Vonnie Holliday and pick

VetMinimum+Incentives

So what are we looking at depth chart opening day wise now? Gotta think it's:

Torain

Hightower

Helu?

Royster?

Man, I was really looking forward to Helu getting a lot of time. Maybe a three headed monster in Washington finally?

Hightower will beat out Torain

I don't think it's going to be a case of one beating the other out. I see it more as 1a and 1b with Helu as the COP.

I think there is a better chance of Torain getting injured and THT taking over and splitting carries with Helu.

Agree, sort of. I think if you had to pick one as a feature back, Hightower fits the role better as he is, in my own opinion, more versatile. Hightower and Torain are different types of backs, and I think their styles compliment each other well. We'll see, but I'm optimistic. (for a change)

I don't think it's going to be a case of one beating the other out. I see it more as 1a and 1b with Helu as the COP.

I think there is a better chance of Torain getting injured and THT taking over and splitting carries with Helu.

exactly the way i see it happening. royster is the wild card. i really dont know much about him.

While my feelings on this move are already known and apparently not too many of you agree with them although they are based on facts and cannot be denied I do support the move as it's been done so onwards and upwards

The best way this works out for us at the RB position this year is a 3 headed monster

We should not have a guy carry the ball 20+ timesa game

I don't see a bell cow from this group and forcing one of them to be that guy would be a mistake

We should look to get TH and RT at least 10-15 touches a game each and Helu touches based on production

TH gets used at the goal line and vultures TD's and is used as a pass catching 3rd down back

RT is the between the tackles typical Shannahan RB

Helu based on preseason would backup RT as the primary ball carrier if he is effective

Our backs have injury concerns so to me its best to limit the pounding

And give each of them a chance to be successful at what they do better then the other guy

Whomever is the #1 or starter won't matter to me if they are going to be used correctly

The trade for Hightower makes me even more nervous about what sort of play we're going to see from Beck next year. Looks like we're going to grind it out on the ground and hope Beck can 'manage' the game.

Huge year for the defense if that's the case, they'll really need to step up.

With his blocking ability it sounds like Hightower might be a good 3rd down option for us. How is his receiving ability?
He's got very good hands. That's part of how he leap frogged everyone his rookie year. I also remember how they praised him for learning the pass protections so quickly which gave them confidence to put him in as a rookie.

If you read the TC blogs about this kid you would've thought he was the second coming of Larry Centers.

With his blocking ability it sounds like Hightower might be a good 3rd down option for us. How is his receiving ability?

His blocking isn't what it's cracked up to be:

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?350416-Per-Adam-Schefter-Arizona-trades-Tim-Hightower-to-Skins-for-Vonnie-Holliday-and-pick&p=8423627&viewfull=1#post8423627

As for his pass catching ability he's not averaged over 7 yards a catch for his career. Not great either

Ha ha ha... been sick a few days and away from the site, but my phone blew up when this deal went down. Hightower will be a VERY polarizing figure around here. He's high-effort... which makes up for his lack of physical talent.

Hightower will make the simple cut and hit the hole hard.

So why the laughter? Well, Hightower is also one of the most hated guys among Cardinal fans. He makes Betts look like Bettis. Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane is thrown around. That might seem a little contradictory to the "high effort" note from above, but it's not his effort that's misplaced, it's his mentality. He thinks he's an explosive scat back. And true enough he's had some big plays. But he left a career as a starting running back in the NFL behind by trying to bust every play for 60 (when he's really not that type of back) instead of getting the sure 4 yarder. To make things worse his high effort gets him in trouble by trying to fight for extra yards. It's weird. He doesn't seem to do a good job breaking tackles, but on the way down he'll fight for that extra inch and either have the ball punched out or hit it out himself with his knee.

This guy was a ROCKSTAR in AZ from the casual fans. The people that didn't really follow the team, but they were "fans". Because he was a low-round pick that played hard and cherry picked 10 or so TDs as a rookie and beat out Beanie Wells. Hightower can do a good job blocking, but some of his whiffs are the one that knocked Warner out of the game. He's a willing blocker, but if you think he's Portis you're in for disappointment.

Summary: Reed Doughty at RB. Some people will love him. Some will hate him. But he's not a bad, end-of-the-roster type of guy. It says something that AZ was willing to trade him rather than Beanie Wells. The whispers around the team have been that Hightower let his early success get to his head and he thinks he's FAR better than what he really is.

My opinion: Could be a good fit in Shanny's system, but so could any other street RB free agent that is willing to one-cut and go. I think that Royster/Williams will have a harder time sticking, but honestly I'd rather go with the unknown than what I've seen from Hightower. (closing the loop from earlier, all my AZ friends were laughing at me/us for getting Hightower)

Ha ha ha... been sick a few days and away from the site, but my phone blew up when this deal went down. Hightower will be a VERY polarizing figure around here. He's high-effort... which makes up for his lack of physical talent.

So why the laughter? Well, Hightower is also one of the most hated guys among Cardinal fans. He makes Betts look like Bettis. Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane is thrown around. That might seem a little contradictory to the "high effort" note from above, but it's not his effort that's misplaced, it's his mentality. He thinks he's an explosive scat back. And true enough he's had some big plays. But he left a career as a starting running back in the NFL behind by trying to bust every play for 60 (when he's really not that type of back) instead of getting the sure 4 yarder. To make things worse his high effort gets him in trouble by trying to fight for extra yards. It's weird. He doesn't seem to do a good job breaking tackles, but on the way down he'll fight for that extra inch and either have the ball punched out or hit it out himself with his knee.

This guy was a ROCKSTAR in AZ from the casual fans. The people that didn't really follow the team, but they were "fans". Because he was a low-round pick that played hard and cherry picked 10 or so TDs as a rookie and beat out Beanie Wells. Hightower can do a good job blocking, but some of his whiffs are the one that knocked Warner out of the game. He's a willing blocker, but if you think he's Portis you're in for disappointment.

Summary: Reed Doughty at RB. Some people will love him. Some will hate him. But he's not a bad, end-of-the-roster type of guy. It says something that AZ was willing to trade him rather than Beanie Wells. The whispers around the team have been that Hightower let his early success get to his head and he thinks he's FAR better than what he really is.

My opinion: Could be a good fit in Shanny's system, but so could any other street RB free agent that is willing to one-cut and go. I think that Royster/Williams will have a harder time sticking, but honestly I'd rather go with the unknown than what I've seen from Hightower. (closing the loop from earlier, all my AZ friends were laughing at me/us for getting Hightower)

while they were laughing did they happen to notice what they got in return?

edit -

oh and ask those giggling fools how it felt to get bent over for a jim breuer look a like.

Not so much Reed Doughty at RB, but more T.J Duckett?

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?350416-Per-Adam-Schefter-Arizona-trades-Tim-Hightower-to-Skins-for-Vonnie-Holliday-and-pick&p=8423627&viewfull=1#post8423627

As for his pass catching ability he's not averaged over 7 yards a catch for his career. Not great either

I agree with his blocking but not with your assessment of his receiving. How many RBs have better avg per catch? He's a RB not a WR.

I'll have to check the stats out later, but I doubt that he's below average for a receiving RB.

I said yesterday the FO stopped trading picks, and then they go and do this. Not sure why we need yet another RB.

Wait, we got late round picks for Nabby and Fat Albert when everyone said they should just be released, then all I heard was that the picks would amount to training camp fodder. the truth is Hightower has more value than a guy at the end of the line so I've got no problems giving up a future CONDITIONAL 6th. I'm assuming the conditions are based on Hightower's performance. So we win both ways, if he doesn't perform we don't lose the pick and if he does it's a small prioe to pay.

By the way are the reports still that Holiday won't report? Won't that nix the deal?

Wait, we got late round picks for Nabby and Fat Albert when everyone said they should just be released, then all I heard was that the picks would amount to training camp fodder. the truth is Hightower has more value than a guy at the end of the line so I've got no problems giving up a future CONDITIONAL 6th. I'm assuming the conditions are based on Hightower's performance. So we win both ways, if he doesn't perform we don't lose the pick and if he does it's a small prioe to pay.

By the way are the reports still that Holiday won't report? Won't that nix the deal?

I wasn't sure of the parameters involving the pick. If he doesn't perform and we don't give up a pick, fine. I know 6th round picks are not very valuable, but I just want to see us continue to hoard picks. The more picks you have, the more chances you have to hit on a sleeper. I like Hightower, I'll have to have a wait and see attitude before I can fully judge the trade. But kudos to the FO for trading for a 25 year old and not a 31 year old. I wasn't being as critical as I sounded. Sorry about that.

I agree with his blocking but not with your assessment of his receiving. How many RBs have better avg per catch? He's a RB not a WR.

I'll have to check the stats out later, but I doubt that he's below average for a receiving RB.

Some numbers for you to consider:

Hightower was targeted 42 times last season which ranked 30th best from just the RB's

Hightowers average yards per catch was 6.5 yards

If you limit the field to RB's with 25 targets or more only he is ranked 45th best overall

By comparison:

Beanie Wells - 14.8 yds per catch

Jonathan Stewart - 12.9 yds per catch

Mike Sellers - 11.2 yds per catch

Danny Woodhead - 11.1 yds per catch

Darren McFadden - 10.8 yds per catch

Matt Forte - 10.7 yds per catch

Jammal Charles - 10.4 yds per catch

Frank Gore - 9.8 yds per catch

Adrian Peterson - 9.5 yds per catch

Felix Jones - 9.4 yds per catch

Arian Foster - 9.2 yds per catch

Ray Rice - 8.8 yds per catch

Payton Hillis - 7.8yds per catch

To just name a few of the names to do that better.

Know what you own people.

The Cards didn't just dump a great player for some throw away of ours

They got something valuable for a guy they were going to cut anyway and picked up one of the best 3-4 DE's in the league today

Great trade for them, not sure what this will do for us yet

5 fumbles to 5 TDs in 2010.

Not great either.

This may have been mentioned already but in Shanny's press conference after practice he said that Hightower has been brought in to be the 3rd down back. I said much earlier in this thread that his scouting reports read like he was a 3rd down back and that is how we seem to see him.

This may have been mentioned already but in Shanny's press conference after practice he said that Hightower has been brought in to be the 3rd down back. I said much earlier in this thread that his scouting reports read like he was a 3rd down back and that is how we seem to see him.

If/when Torrain gets hurt, he'll probably have a bigger role than just a 3rd down back. Shanny said he was brought in partly because of Torrain's injury history too.

Archived