Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2011 FA/LOCKOUT/UDFA Tweets from TK, Jsteelz, LL56 and others **MOSS/COFIELD/STALLWORTH/WILSON/BOWEN/CHESTER & OTHERS AGREES TO DEALSl + JARMON TRADED TO DEN FOR GAFFNEY/MCNABB TRADED TO MINNY/HAYNESWORTH TRADED TO NE + RABACH/PD93/KEMO & OTH

c4man5282

The only problem, if it is a problem as we aren't privy to the individuals thoughts; is whether Davis would extend knowing he was playing second fiddle when he could start for most teams in the league.

Most? There are a lot of talented TEs in the league. Personally, his chances here are better than with many teams in the league, considering that in the last two years Cooley hasn't quite been the TE he's used to be. Granted, much of that has been because of injury.

That being said, if you are going to have a relatively inexperienced QB start for you, you should have some experienced targets for him. It is why resigning Moss is a good idea and it is why Cooley should be on this team. Everyone else is pretty inexperienced.

---------- Post added July-16th-2011 at 03:49 PM ----------

Sig bet? Unless he is 500x better than he was in Miami, he is toast.

On November 14, it was announced that Beck would assume the starting job, beginning with the team's Week 11 game at the Philadelphia Eagles on November 18.

Beck and the Dolphins lost to the Eagles 17-7, failing to score on offense. In the game, Beck went just 9-for-22 (40.9%) for 109 yards and rushed twice for three yards. He was not sacked and committed no turnovers via fumble or interception.

At the start of the 2008 preseason, the Dolphins signed free agent quarterback Josh McCown and listed him as starting quarterback in the Dolphin's depth chart over John Beck.

After serving all of the 2008 season as the Dolphins' third-string quarterback behind Pennington and Chad Henne, the Dolphins released Beck on April 27, 2009.

In short, Beck's story is that he was drafted by a crappy team. Crappy team forced him into the starting lineup before he was ready, with predictable results. After that, the FO and coaching staff who drafted him changed, and the replacements predictably went a different direction. Afterwards, he shared the fate of most QBs who are abandoned by their original team: a nomadic existence hoping for that rare chance to prove yourself again.

I have no idea if Beck will be any good or not. Nor do you.

He didn't play at all in 2009, so isn't that going to adversely affect his stats? And we all know he was hurt most of 2010 and needed to break up the scar tissue to come back. In 2008, he made the Pro Bowl at left tackle. He had to be doing something right.
Missing 2009 has no effect on Browns stats because pff measures based on snaps played.

You mention that Brown was injured in 2010 but so was Heyer and in 2009 Heyer was injured to the point where he couldn't even practice.

This is why I think statistics lie. If you're weighing him against other offensive tackles, of course he's going to come out looking worse than other tackles, he didn't play for a whole season.

Just click the link and read pff's methodology.

His missing a season has no effect b/c they're judged by snaps played/pressures allowed.

Stephen Heyer is just bad. And yeah, he played hurt, but he didn't miss a whole season. He legitimately is one of the worse tackles in the NFL.
I don't understand your logic both have battled injuries both are in the bottom half of the league.

But back to my point about re-signing Brown, which you actually didn't address:

I agree that he finished strong but he went from being sub-standard to standard.

If you look at pff stats he's in the bottom half of OT over the past 3-years.

Which would place Brown just ahead of Stephon Heyer over that same time frame and both players have battled injuries over that time frame.

My point is that Jammal Brown barely plays above replacement level so why not replace him?

Either find someone better or find someone younger that can give you around the same level of play.(Charlie Johnson etc..)

Imo its more reasonable to expect the younger player to improve then to expect an aging player to return to form.(playing out of position)

I think RT is the biggest weakness on the OL and I'm surprised/dismayed that Jammal Brown is the front runner for the position.

Haha the O's losing doesn't shock me anymore. But when they win, I'm petitioning the City of Baltimore to through a victory parade. Us O's/Skins fans deserve some sort of medal for putting up with the crap we do lol

I'll drink to that. Wouldn't it be nice to just let go? Not to the Skins, to the Os. Just flip the channel over to MASN2 (or whichever one the Nats are on) and watch that game instead. Then do it again for the rest of the week.

I'll drink to that. Wouldn't it be nice to just let go? Not to the Skins, to the Os. Just flip the channel over to MASN2 (or whichever one the Nats are on) and watch that game instead. Then do it again for the rest of the week.

I've been watching more Nats games the last 2 months than I have ever. They are a fun team to watch. I'll always be an O's fan, but the Nats could be my 1b

I did that years ago when Davey Johnson left. Funny how things come full circle with him coming to the Nats.

The issue is that neither does Mike Shanahan. If MS passed on all of the QBs in this past class mostly because he has rock solid faith in Beck then I think it's right to question his judgement. Beck has talent but you can't say he's anything other than a Hail Mary at this point because most QBs coming from a situation like his fail. Its not the kind of firm plan you'd like your FO to make for the QB position. Of course we'd all love for him to be the next Steve Young but the odds are obviously against that happening.

Who are Jsteelz and LL56? And how do they (and TK) know all this stuff?

Thumb on the pulse, dude.

As far as Beck is concerned don't take anything from his time in Miami. This team will be much better suited for him to compete and do well as opposed to what he had in Miami. He got very few reps down South and will be given every opportunity to succeed in Washington.

Watch some of the stuff he did in college. I can see why Shanny had him rated high coming out of school, kid was amazing at BYU.

In short, Beck's story is that he was drafted by a crappy team. Crappy team forced him into the starting lineup before he was ready, with predictable results. After that, the FO and coaching staff who drafted him changed, and the replacements predictably went a different direction. Afterwards, he shared the fate of most QBs who are abandoned by their original team: a nomadic existence hoping for that rare chance to prove yourself again.

Very well said. I agree 100%

Who are Jsteelz and LL56? And how do they (and TK) know all this stuff?

Frauds, every last one of them that get all they 'know' off JLC. That's why he left town. He was sick of doing all the leg work and others taking all the credit.

I'd ban their sorry ass' personally for trying to besmirch the ex-Post finest's good name. Particularly that TK one. He's an agitator that one.

Hail.

I did that years ago when Davey Johnson left. Funny how things come full circle with him coming to the Nats.

Shoot, I remember watching:

Brooks Robinson 3b

Luis Apparicio SS

Davey Johnson 2B

Boog Powell 1b

Talking about coming full circle................

Ok- back to the thread at hand.

I can see Shanahan bringing in Tavaris J. as a backup. We have to have a 3rd body.

Vince Young is an interesting senario, and one I could actually see happening if Grossman leaves the team.

Beck, Grossman & Jackson, that should keep the opposing DC's up at night.

J/K

The issue is that neither does Mike Shanahan. If MS passed on all of the QBs in this past class mostly because he has rock solid faith in Beck then I think it's right to question his judgement. Beck has talent but you can't say he's anything other than a Hail Mary at this point because most QBs coming from a situation like his fail. Its not the kind of firm plan you'd like your FO to make for the QB position. Of course we'd all love for him to be the next Steve Young but the odds are obviously against that happening.

Shanahan probably has a better idea than we do. He's at least seen him in practice and knows how much of the playbook he's grokked.

It certainly is right to question Beck as the only option (not that he's going to be, but he's likely going to be the most game-ready of the options since it looks like neither Grossman or McNabb will be back.), but as an option, he's as good as anyone else right now.

I wonder why Grossman isn't being talked about for a return? It seems like he put in the work to become part of the team during the offseason. He and Beck both stepped up like you'd expect a leader to do. I think we need at least a seasoned veteran backup and Grossman would probably be about as good as anyone. For the third QB spot, I'd take a look at a UDFA or youngish late rounder with some raw talent. I like Pat Devlin. I'd sign him and see what I could mold him into. He was a very good college player and he's got NFL tools.

I wonder why Grossman isn't being talked about for a return? It seems like he put in the work to become part of the team during the offseason. He and Beck both stepped up like you'd expect a leader to do. I think we need at least a seasoned veteran backup and Grossman would probably be about as good as anyone. For the third QB spot, I'd take a look at a UDFA or youngish late rounder with some raw talent. I like Pat Devlin. I'd sign him and see what I could mold him into. He was a very good college player and he's got NFL tools.

Just speculation on my part, but based on what Grossman has said about wanting to be a starter, I get the feeling that he is already looking at other pastures in which to play.

Especially given that Shanny has anointed Beck as the incumbent starter.

I mentioned earlier and still believe that Tennessee is where Grossman goes. He can start, get a decent paycheck and hand off to CJ all day long.

And I believe all the work Grossman has been putting in has a two fold purpose, one, if he signs back with us then he has the extra practice time with the team.

And second, if he is looking to go else where, then he is trying to impress his future boss with a great work ethic, plus staying in practice shape.

Sig bet? Unless he is 500x better than he was in Miami, he is toast.

On November 14, it was announced that Beck would assume the starting job, beginning with the team's Week 11 game at the Philadelphia Eagles on November 18.

Beck and the Dolphins lost to the Eagles 17-7, failing to score on offense. In the game, Beck went just 9-for-22 (40.9%) for 109 yards and rushed twice for three yards. He was not sacked and committed no turnovers via fumble or interception.

At the start of the 2008 preseason, the Dolphins signed free agent quarterback Josh McCown and listed him as starting quarterback in the Dolphin's depth chart over John Beck.

After serving all of the 2008 season as the Dolphins' third-string quarterback behind Pennington and Chad Henne, the Dolphins released Beck on April 27, 2009.

McD, I'm not saying Beck is going to be good. However, don't you think it's a little unfair to judge him with what he did in Miami? He was a rookie QB thrown into the fire in week 11, the year they went 1-15. The coach who drafted him was fired. We've seen QBs in the league get 3 full years of starting before anyone will say they are busts. He's had a year to sit and learn the offense. Let's wait and see how he does. If he doesn't work out, then we can draft a QB next year. It's not like Beck played for multiple years in Miami with questionable results like Alex Smith or Jason Campbell did with their teams.

Ant Army ? I remember Ant invasion and Ant rap but no Ant Army - tsk maybe my knowledge of UK punk new romantic music of the 1980s is lacking

Does anyone think that the resinging of Brown is a smart move incase Willaims has issues getting over the sophomore slump

Archived