Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2011 FA/LOCKOUT/UDFA Tweets from TK, Jsteelz, LL56 and others **MOSS/COFIELD/STALLWORTH/WILSON/BOWEN/CHESTER & OTHERS AGREES TO DEALSl + JARMON TRADED TO DEN FOR GAFFNEY/MCNABB TRADED TO MINNY/HAYNESWORTH TRADED TO NE + RABACH/PD93/KEMO & OTH

c4man5282

read the very first post in this thread, it has your answer
No Nnamdi? Damn :(

Why are we willing to break the bank on Phatass Haynesworthless but not one of the league's top CBs? Hall, Nnamdi, Atogwe and Landry=beast.

Why are we willing to break the bank on Phatass Haynesworthless but not one of the league's top CBs? Hall, Nnamdi, Atogwe and Landry=beast.

because we have our own player, Barnes, that we will give a shot. I prefer letting our own compete for the position, if capable, rather than bringing in a FA. If we don't have anyone who can realistically start at a position, then I'm cool with a young FA or a vet who knows the system and will only be a band-aid/1-3 year solution on a reasonable contract, like we did with Atogwe.

Are their any centers in free agency that we are going to take a look? Also are their any other Free Agent offensive lineman that is under the radar that we are going to take a look at?

Does anyone have a good read on Chris Chester from Bmore? He was mentioned in the JLC article i believe but I didn't hear much from the insiders. He's gotten a lot of starts for the Ravens who have a good oline and has position versatility in being able to play G or C. He could be a more realistic target in FA than Yanda, who I expect the Ravens to re-sign.

i wouldnt mind harris. i thought i had read that his injuries werent the kind i'd be worried about, like it was a broken leg or something. not chronic knee problems like kelly. could be wrong.

I don't think Kelly has chronic knee problems. I think that's a widely spoken rumor among fans but he hasn't had problems with his knees after his first season.

Remember, last year's injury which put him on IR was a hamstring injury.

---------- Post added July-17th-2011 at 01:31 PM ----------

But that's the thing that keeps giving my pause; if you're measuring his performance over a three year period, he missed all of 2009. That means he didn't play any snaps in 2009. So shouldn't his snap count be lower, which would adversely affect his rankings?

Again, this is why I think stats and numbers lie sometimes. They don't tell the whole story.

No, if anything having a low snap count would probably benefit your rankings because its less opportunities to get penalized for pressures, and individual pressures end up carrying a lot of weight. Either way, PFF averages it out against your total snaps played, so over a big sample size (1000+ snaps) it evens out.

Just go back to Tailgate, would you. :ols:

Does anyone have a good read on Chris Chester from Bmore? He was mentioned in the JLC article i believe but I didn't hear much from the insiders. He's gotten a lot of starts for the Ravens who have a good oline and has position versatility in being able to play G or C. He could be a more realistic target in FA than Yanda, who I expect the Ravens to re-sign.

The Baltimore Sun expects the Ravens to let free agent G/C Chris Chester test the open market.

The Sun has reported that Chester is unhappy with his use in Baltimore, so it sounds like he'll be doing a lot more than testing the market. A backup-level talent, Chester has primarily played guard the past three seasons, but is a competent center. His versatility should be an asset as he peddles his wares.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/blog/2011/07/sign_or_decline_tj_houshmandzadeh.html

I think the talk around the campfire is that they are going to have Montgomery compete with Rabach for center,

but would definitely like to see us get this guy as insurance.

And personally I am hoping they move Rabach to the coaching staff.

"

"

"

"

That is a coaching staff of some obscure college team way up north.

I will give this a 2nd try,

TK, LL56, and Jsteelz, have you all heard anything about a change at Center this year? Be it by one of our own guys or a FA signing? This is my biggest concern on the team and just wanted to know what you have heard if anything and what your opinion on that position is. Thanks

PFF's stats aren't skewed by his year off because the stat measures snaps played/pressures allowed.

All NFL lineman plays with varrying levels of pain/injury but if you're going to chalk up Jammal's Browns poor play over 1,000+ snaps to injury then at what point do you consider wether his injury is chronic?

Do you think Jammal Brown is the best OT available via FA?

Okay i am really struggling with this downer on Brown - In 2008 Brown allowed 3 sacks - the leagues best rushing attack behind LT came behind Brown and he was named to the probowl in 2009 he blew out his ACL and missed the season and Bushrod showed he would might be serviceable as a replacement and would be cheaper than Brown so the Saints went down the path of the not so good (whos play has dropped off a cliff since 2009 - and may be available) but cheaper replacement rather than gamble on the fact Brown would be back just in time to need to be re-signed - Now all of a sudden because some maths geeks have shifted around numbers he is garbage - sorry not buying it -

Brown looked a lot better once he settled in the line and will be an absolute bargain if we can land him for somewhere between an OLT and ORT and he regains 80-90% of his previous form would be an absoulte steal .

To answer the question I really don't see anyone in this years FA market who is realistically any better in skill set - Harris is a 26/27 injury prone RT - Sure he is known to Mike but given how so-so the Denver line was last season and they are prepared to go another way sets off alarms .

I

No, if anything having a low snap count would probably benefit your rankings because its less opportunities to get penalized for pressures, and individual pressures end up carrying a lot of weight. Either way, PFF averages it out against your total snaps played, so over a big sample size (1000+ snaps) it evens out.

Right, right, right...

...See, this is why I think math and numbers are evil.

Probowl invites for OL are basically meaningless. Sacks allowed is a subjective and unofficial stat that gives little measure of a lineman's performance over the entirety of his snaps. For instance, you can fail and not register a sack allowed and this happens often.

PFF is hardly a collection of math geeks. PFF actually watches every snap for every player and evaluates it. The lack of satisfaction with Brown is attributable to the fact that he wasn't very good last season, regardless of what he did for the Saints three or four years ago.

Your argument against Harris is unconvincing given your support for Brown. Brown is a 30 year old injury prone tackle.

---------- Post added July-17th-2011 at 03:29 PM ----------

I actually don't like either Brown or Harris for us because I don't think either are that good or reliable at this point in their careers. I realize we need a starting caliber RT and there isn't one on the roster. There isn't even a decent developmental one on the roster unless we're willing to throw Capers into a completely untenable situation.

What I would do is buy time for Capers (or for finding a RT early in the 2012 or 2013 draft) by signing Matt Light to a short contract. He's not much of a pass protector at this point in his career, but he's still a very good run blocker and he's a clear stop gap that wouldn't require the kind of financial commitment that Brown or Harris would.

I actually don't like either Brown or Harris for us because I don't think either are that good or reliable at this point in their careers. I realize we need a starting caliber RT and there isn't one on the roster. There isn't even a decent developmental one on the roster unless we're willing to throw Capers into a completely untenable situation.

What I would do is buy time for Capers (or for finding a RT early in the 2012 or 2013 draft) by signing Matt Light to a short contract. He's not much of a pass protector at this point in his career, but he's still a very good run blocker and he's a clear stop gap that wouldn't require the kind of financial commitment that Brown or Harris would.

I hope Capers can emerge as our RT too. So, what is your ideal move for RT right now steve? Is it Light? Yanda? I like a guy DG mentioned in another thread: Charlie Johnson. I like the Bronco's selection of Orlando Franklin too in the 2nd I think. I'd like to try and pry him away to plug in at RG or RT. I like Caper's profile coming out though.

I hope Capers can emerge as our RT too. So, what is your ideal move for RT right now steve? Is it Light? Yanda? I like a guy DG mentioned in another thread: Charlie Johnson. I like the Bronco's selection of Orlando Franklin too in the 2nd I think. I'd like to try and pry him away to plug in at RG or RT. I like Caper's profile coming out though.

I like Yanda the best but it looks like he's unavailable. I'd go with Light until I could find something better in the draft. I don't know enough about Charlie Johnson to have an opinion on him.

I'm pretty sure Orlando Franklin is only a rookie. I highly doubt the Broncos will trade him.

Your argument against Harris is unconvincing given your support for Brown. Brown is a 30 year old injury prone tackle.

he started 15 games for 4 straight seasons (started 13 as a rookie) before getting hurt in 09. i dont know if 1 injury qualifies him as injury prone.

Let me attempt to address the Nnamdi issue. If we were closer to one piece away, then break the bank and spend the money, but we're not. That money can be spent to fill multiple positions. Second, Nnamdi is a much better man cover corner than zone, which Haslett prefers. Third, Allen as GM tends to move more towards fiscal responsibility, unlike Vinnie. Of course this could all be a smokescreen.

Archived