Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2011 FA/LOCKOUT/UDFA Tweets from TK, Jsteelz, LL56 and others **MOSS/COFIELD/STALLWORTH/WILSON/BOWEN/CHESTER & OTHERS AGREES TO DEALSl + JARMON TRADED TO DEN FOR GAFFNEY/MCNABB TRADED TO MINNY/HAYNESWORTH TRADED TO NE + RABACH/PD93/KEMO & OTH

c4man5282

I will maintain that a healthy Jammal Brown is better than Harris. I would not mind in the least if we choose him over Brown though. Mike knows him best of course. Maybe my memory of the GB game is in question. I know JB did not stone CM and did allow pressure that day, but overall, if memory serves, he played pretty well overall. Actually, I think you're right steve. JB might have struggled in that game. Anyone but Heyer at RT is doable IMO.

Clay Matthews had been dealing with a ham-string injury throughout the season and through that game (and eventually left the game from aggravating the injury). After he left the game the Redskins mounted their comeback, and I don't think that's a coincidence. We lost quite a few players that game, but the pressure he was getting every play was the difference.

Clay Matthews had been dealing with a ham-string injury throughout the season and through that game (and eventually left the game from aggravating the injury). After he left the game the Redskins mounted their comeback, and I don't think that's a coincidence. We lost quite a few players that game, but the pressure he was getting every play was the difference.

Yeah, I blew that one pretty bad. Clay ate JB's lunch pretty much. He was still not as healthy as he would like though. I think JB is a good OT though. If we go with someone younger, I'm cool with that too. I think the Redskins like Brown though and will try to retain him.

he started 15 games for 4 straight seasons (started 13 as a rookie) before getting hurt in 09. i dont know if 1 injury qualifies him as injury prone.

It does when he had to have hip surgery to fix it. Some injuries are worse than others.

EDIT:

You know what, it's a sports hernia, I was thinking it was a joint issue, so maybe it's not as bad as I initially thought.

Yeah, I blew that one pretty bad. Clay ate JB's lunch pretty much. He was still not as healthy as he would like though. I think JB is a good OT though. If we go with someone younger, I'm cool with that too. I think the Redskins like Brown though and will try to retain him.

I think it would be a smart move to hold onto him. Coming off a big season-ending injury can take some time to recover from. Even if you manage to get someone else starting, you need somebody that can come in and play in a pinch. We learned that the hard way in the '09-10 season when Tauscher was still hurt (and a FA) from the previous season and Alan Barbre sucked. And then Chad Clifton went down and we were playing musical chairs all over the O-line. Rodgers was the most-sacked QB that year and that's no way to treat the guy who's expected to lead your franchise to the super bowl (as fate would have it, he shared that title with the QB he faced in the Super Bowl this year: Ben Roethlisberger). Drafted OTs in the 1st round the next two drafts to ensure that doesn't happen again.

So, after researching a little (if anyone cares), this is what I found about sports hernias (Jammal Brown's injury which he had surgery for):

It's not undestood why some people get sports hernias and others don't (Donovan McNabb had one, and lots of hockey players get them).

A sports hernia doesn't form through a hole in muscle like most other hernias, it forms because tissue around the wall, and in between the pelvic contents and the inguinal contents (your nuts) is too thin. The injury is believed to be caused by "shearing stress" which is when tissues rub across each other (like rubbing your hands together to generate heat) and since the tissue is unusually thin, due to the individual's genetics and the high amount of stress, the tissue quickly wears away and they begin to have testicular pain (which feels like getting kicked in the nads, but doesn't go away).

Surgery is the only long term treatment for them, and recovery can take up to 6 months, depending on how the surgery is performed (which can depend on the severity of the injury), but after surgery they are almost 100% fully recoverable and don't have recurrence.

Meaning, I was wrong and Jammal Brown has a fantastic shot at returning to full form and never having a recurrence of injury.

Probowl invites for OL are basically meaningless. Sacks allowed is a subjective and unofficial stat that gives little measure of a lineman's performance over the entirety of his snaps. For instance, you can fail and not register a sack allowed and this happens often.

PFF is hardly a collection of math geeks. PFF actually watches every snap for every player and evaluates it. The lack of satisfaction with Brown is attributable to the fact that he wasn't very good last season, regardless of what he did for the Saints three or four years ago.

Your argument against Harris is unconvincing given your support for Brown. Brown is a 30 year old injury prone tackle.

---------- Post added July-17th-2011 at 03:29 PM ----------

I actually don't like either Brown or Harris for us because I don't think either are that good or reliable at this point in their careers. I realize we need a starting caliber RT and there isn't one on the roster. There isn't even a decent developmental one on the roster unless we're willing to throw Capers into a completely untenable situation.

What I would do is buy time for Capers (or for finding a RT early in the 2012 or 2013 draft) by signing Matt Light to a short contract. He's not much of a pass protector at this point in his career, but he's still a very good run blocker and he's a clear stop gap that wouldn't require the kind of financial commitment that Brown or Harris would.

Light absolutely would demand a massive amount of money to come here - and he is 33 - Not someone I would want to sign as a stop gap - given the belief by many we will not compete for anything (but high draft picks) for 2-3 years .

Harris is no where near the level of Brown, but then you look around at the possible replacements Harris is the next best option but Harris has played more than 12 games in 1 season since 2007 . Yanda is going to get paid a ton of money considering he is really a top level swing back up . Other than that the FA is ankle deep when you look at the options for potential starters on the line, and i hate idea that putting a warm body in a uniform out there is fine because we are "rebuilding" . Brown played well in the final 4 games but i think he want to be a LT starter and i think he will end up looking hard at the Cardinals as a possibility.....

I'd go with center by a Country mile, but personal views aside, maybe they have their eye on someone in next years draft and are happy to make do with Brown. Within that maybe they will pick-up Harris (fingers crossed) and have Brown as cheap cover for another year, shrugs.

Hail.

I'm seeing basically just Capers at RT, but Rabach, Cook, Lich., and Monty at C. Sure Rabach is a liability, but at least we have bodies at C.

We need someone to supplant Rabach.....be it Cook or Monty or someone...i was hoping for the Nose but obviously with Minny he wasn't a guard.
I can't believe that it took 6 pages before someone brought this up.

I agree 100% RabidFan. I trust our coaching staff on whatever they decide to do with our o-line. But, I have to admit that I have been thoroughly confused as to what we have been doing at the C position. Rabach spends so much time in our backfield I would swear he's the teams leading tackler. And even though Rabach gets thrown around like a crash dummy every game, we continue to start him every season.

Are there any FA C's out there? I'm tired of reading about how we are trying to add depth here and add depth there when our friggin starting C sucks.

I agree 100% RabidFan. I trust our coaching staff on whatever they decide to do with our o-line. But, I have to admit that I have been thoroughly confused as to what we have been doing at the C position. Rabach spends so much time in our backfield I would swear he's the teams leading tackler. And even though Rabach gets thrown around like a crash dummy every game, we continue to start him every season.

Are there any FA C's out there? I'm tired of reading about how we are trying to add depth here and add depth there when our friggin starting C sucks.

Pretty sure I brought it up on the 4th page...but oh well : )

Jason Spitz should be on the market. He was a starter before he was injured and supplanted by Scott Wells. Not a pro bowler, but he should be better than what you have. if you bring in Daryn Colledge at guard, too, then you'll have two guys who've played next to each other for several years.

they're only 28 and 29 respectively, so they should be able to last until the changing of the guards.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Lichensteiger and Robinson are both natural centers. I imagine one will supplant Rabach at center (while we keep him on as a veteran backup). Meanwhile, I'd be shocked if we didn't sign a free agent guard with the aim for him to start.

I would expect our starting line to look something like this: Williams -- Lichensteiger -- Robinson -- Free Agent -- Brown

---------- Post added July-17th-2011 at 04:03 PM ----------

I think that the coaching staff was looking to Rabach last year from some semblance of stability, given that we ultimately had to groom Williams, Lichensteiger, Artis Hicks, Jamaal Brown, and Will Robinson as starters in DC. If we fans could quite clearly see Rabach as the weakest link on the line just from television broadcasts, I have no doubt that the coaching staff must have seen the same. The lack of interior line drafting was definitely peculiar, though with as many holes as we have, I can't find fault with Shanny's drafting methods. I can only presume that they have a solid plan to replace him this year.

And I expect that the line that we have in 2012 will be the line that Shanny hopes to maintain for the duration of his contract.

Williams -- Lichensteiger -- Robinson -- Free Agent -- Brown

Insert Montgomery for Robinson, and I agree with you. Will Robinson was cut last year and I believe he was picked up by the Seahawks. Last I heard of him.

HAIL!

Probowl invites for OL are basically meaningless. Sacks allowed is a subjective and unofficial stat that gives little measure of a lineman's performance over the entirety of his snaps. For instance, you can fail and not register a sack allowed and this happens often.

PFF is hardly a collection of math geeks. PFF actually watches every snap for every player and evaluates it. The lack of satisfaction with Brown is attributable to the fact that he wasn't very good last season, regardless of what he did for the Saints three or four years ago.

Your argument against Harris is unconvincing given your support for Brown. Brown is a 30 year old injury prone tackle.

---------- Post added July-17th-2011 at 03:29 PM ----------

I actually don't like either Brown or Harris for us because I don't think either are that good or reliable at this point in their careers. I realize we need a starting caliber RT and there isn't one on the roster. There isn't even a decent developmental one on the roster unless we're willing to throw Capers into a completely untenable situation.

What I would do is buy time for Capers (or for finding a RT early in the 2012 or 2013 draft) by signing Matt Light to a short contract. He's not much of a pass protector at this point in his career, but he's still a very good run blocker and he's a clear stop gap that wouldn't require the kind of financial commitment that Brown or Harris would.

I don't know the answer of how good Brown is, but I'd be happy to give him a pass because of the factor's against him last season.

1. Dealing with a season ending injury from the year before.

2. Playing in a new scheme.

3. Playing next to new guys.

4. Playing on the right side instead of left.

5. His injury was on his left hip making it more difficult to push off playing on the right.

6. His scar tissue reportedly broke up. (as doctor's told him it would) around midseason.

7. Supposedly his play picked up later in the season.

8. The rest of the line played better toward the end of the season.

9. He was (to my knowledge) very well regarded during his time in NO, and this as a left tackle.

Is he the best option? I have no clue. Do all the above issues make me question whether he is truly as bad as some are saying? Absolutely. I could even see Brown being the best player on our line next year (I'm not expecting it, but I could see it).

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to get younger, especially if Capers could earn the job. I just don't want Capers given the job by default.

Jsteelzout2dome Jsteelz

just to update the FA talk real quick No Vonte Leach in DC..Big Mike will be the starting FB

Jsteelzout2dome Jsteelz

before he gets linked cause i know its gonna happen figure i will throw out that Jared Gaither wont be re-signed by Ravens, letting him go

Jsteelzout2dome Jsteelz

2 teams that i heard last smelling around J. Brown, is no real comp for the Skins

Jsteelzout2dome Jsteelz

i put J. Brown coming back at like 85%, leave myself some room incase in falls apart lol

Jsteelzout2dome Jsteelz

also gotta hope Beck and Monty get to work right when lockout is over

Jsteelzout2dome Jsteelz

Brown does wanna be here..Skins will offer more the Cards and Raiders would, Raiders already spent a lot, before lockout, hell bent on LT

Jsteelzout2dome Jsteelz

money but he has calmed on that

Jsteelzout2dome Jsteelz

also gotta hope Beck and Monty get to work right when lockout is over

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHahahahahahahaaaaaaallelujah!!!!

I hope everyone understands the significance of that!

This is how I will now think of you when I read your posts Jsteelz:

jesus_second_coming_-1.jpg

c4, you're one of those dudes with wings.

Jason Spitz should be on the market. He was a starter before he was injured and supplanted by Scott Wells. Not a pro bowler, but he should be better than what you have. if you bring in Daryn Colledge at guard, too, then you'll have two guys who've played next to each other for several years.

they're only 28 and 29 respectively, so they should be able to last until the changing of the guards.

I don't know if they're trying him at C or what, but I'm intrigued by Erik Cook. Here's a nice profile on him, though it may mean more to those better versed in the game than I.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/567157

Maybe competition for Capers as the backup T.

Archived