Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

John Claytin redskins need to spend 45 million to hit cap floor

boston skins fan

Nnamdi Asomugha is 30 years old. Cullen Jenkins is 30 years old. Aubrayo Franklin will be 31 years old when the season starts.

Every year it's the same BS from the same crowd. The same people who ***** about Snyder are the same people who get stiff when it's time to sign old free agents.

Ding ding ding.....you just hit on an overwhelming majority of our fanbasr unfortunately. Awful.

"our team sucks, we need more talent"

"free agency opened up, Snyder better fix it"

"our team still sucks"

"stupid Snyder, overspent on over the hill players, f him, he sucks!!!"

Cullen Jenkins, Nnamdi Asoughma and Aubrayo Franklin. If we would be able to add all that on defense we could have a fun team to watch even if the offense sucks.

Ugh. This post almost makes me want to throw up on my mouth a little, just thinking about it.

Not sure how I'd feel about this, but theres a little voice that keeps whispering Carson Palmers name to me for some reason.

Tell that voice it's not 2007 anymore. It would take a trade to get Palmer anyway as he is not a free agent.

Brent Grimes. Will be a huge signing for someone and I hope its us.

This I can jive with. Wonder how it feels signing Dunta Robinson to a monster contract, and then possibly losing the better, younger CB, who is home-grown, in FA.

Probably feels like being a Skins fan the last decade or so, on this specific issue.

Can the Redskins pay Albert Haynesworth 45mil so that the fans could kick him around on Fan Appreciation day? I would extend those players that you want long term and bring in just a couple of FA's on the OL, maybe one other. Otherwise low key and yes keeping Los is not the worst idea. Pay him and he will play well.

Nnamdi Asomugha is 30 years old. Cullen Jenkins is 30 years old. Aubrayo Franklin will be 31 years old when the season starts.

Every year it's the same BS from the same crowd. The same people who ***** about Snyder are the same people who get stiff when it's time to sign old free agents.

30 is the new 25. Really.

I don't think 30 is that bad. Very possible to get 4-5 more years from a 30 year old. Now 32, that's pushing it...

---------- Post added July-10th-2011 at 04:33 PM ----------

Ding ding ding.....you just hit on an overwhelming majority of our fanbasr unfortunately. Awful.

"our team sucks, we need more talent"

"free agency opened up, Snyder better fix it"

"our team still sucks"

"stupid Snyder, overspent on over the hill players, f him, he sucks!!!"

I don't think 30 is over the hill. What about 29? Is that too old for you?

Not sure how I'd feel about this, but theres a little voice that keeps whispering Carson Palmers name to me for some reason.

McNabb and Fat Albert for Carson would be great. And I'm not even sold on Palmer anymore.

But it will never happen.

Plus, if we sign any QB they will have to learn a whole new system in a very short amount of time.

I would think a good chunk of it will go to locking up draft picks with re-signing/structuring some of our own. Guys like Landry, Tana, Bryant, Montgomery, Banks, etc with modest incentive style money.

Still holding out hope there's a 3 way trade in the works that sends fat ass to the Bills or Bengals and we some how end up with a beast OG or decent draft pick though.

This I can jive with. Wonder how it feels signing Dunta Robinson to a monster contract, and then possibly losing the better, younger CB, who is home-grown, in FA.

Probably feels like being a Skins fan the last decade or so, on this specific issue.

Unfortunately, he's a restricted free agent, I believe with a first round tender. He'd be a superb addition though

Unfortunately, he's a restricted free agent, I believe with a first round tender. He'd be a superb addition though

If it's four years accrued towards free agency, then not so much.

---------- Post added July-10th-2011 at 05:21 PM ----------

I'd like to say that the problem in the past hasn't been signing 30 year old players, as much as it's been signing 30 year old players who don't fit whatever scheme/offense/defense we're running to ginormous, overblown, badly written contracts that end of kicking the team in the balls.

There's nothing wrong with signing veteran players to contracts, so long as their structured reasonably, and the money they get paid is equitable to their ability and age.

At any rate, I don't having to spend that much money means we're going to be spending frakloads on free agents, since there are still rookies and our own free agents to resign, then you gotta make sure there's still money for LaRon Landry and they may want to extend Fred Davis during the season. So the fact that they have $45 million to hit the cap floor now doesn't mean they're going to be able to just get everybody they want.

Brent Grimes. Will be a huge signing for someone and I hope its us.

I see a lot of Falcon's games. Grimes is not as good as advertised in my opinion. He is a nice player that can make plays, but I'd be cautious about "Prime Time Grimes"-- as my Falcon's fan buddies so affectionately like to call him.

Honestly i saw alot of Kevin Barnes at UMD that he can start for us. I would like it if we can pick up another ILB along with 3-4 DL. we need 2 Gs, 1C and a RT at least

Its very unlikely we can pick up 4 starting Olineman of the right calibre in this free agency period even if there will be a lot of players on the market. I would settle for a starting quality RG and RT.

After reading some of the names, and the ages behind them, thrown up in this thread it begs the question will some EVER learn? We castigate the Redskins for over spending on ageing vets. year on year; yet as soon as we've created a **** load of cap space suddenly folk are getting giddy over the same thing in the past they've detested. The bi-polar 'Skin fan is alive and kicking in some circles.

Here's hoping we put the money to good use on both locking up our own young talent, and adding to it with quality, good aged players that will still be around in year 4 and 5 when we're hopefully in a position to think of challenging again.

Hail.

Its kinda like when you've been broke for a while, and then you get a check for $400 or something, and you can't stop thinking about how and what you can spend that money on, and then before you know it you don't have $400 and you're sitting there going "holy crap, why the hell did I do that!"

We cleared that cap space for a reason, and I don't think it's because we could blow it on every big name free agent humanly possible.

It's funny how Dan gets such a bad wrap when essentially, it seems like he does exactly what fans want him to do a lot of the time...

CB, but only if we let Rogers go. Not Asomugha though -- I don't think he'd fit that well, but the main reason is that he's going to be horribly expensive. Josh Wilson looks okay. Brandon Carr looks solid too.

ILB: We need one more solid inside LB -- there a couple out there (Paul Posluszny, second choice Barrett Ruud, or Kevin Burnett ) who could fit the bill. I'm not sold on Blades or Riley.

NT -- I guess we cross our fingers and go for Franklin. There's not a lot out there -- and it's not clear to me whether Jarvis Jenkins would be strong enough to anchor the NT position. Maybe Nield surprises everyone -- but right now I still see a NT-by-committee fpr a while longer.

RT -- Ryan Harris, Jammal Brown, or Marshal Yanda -- Yanda could play RG so I'd be willing to see the Skins try for 2 out of 3.

WR -- Sidney Rice is the only one that seems worth trying for. And that includes Santana Moss. The Skins already have an abundance of young WRs and unless Moss comes cheap -- the Skins might try gambling on others. Rice has youth and upside -- he's worth the risk.

TE -- Sign Davis, because I suspect Cooley will be trade-bait by the 2012 draft.

S -- I'd hold off on any signing ( or re-signings) for the safety spots. Landry appears to be a better fit at SS, but it might be a bit early to offer the mega-contract to him. By mid-season, if he seems to really be fitting in Haslett's defense and isn't too injury prone -- then the Skins FO should jump on getting the contract.

C -- Very thin at this position, but nothing much out there in free agency. Shanahan understands what it takes for a ZBS center, so maybe he's got someone already in the wings. I hope the Skins take a look at Lyle Sendlein (Cards) or Jason Spitz (Packers) or maybe Kyle Cook of the Bengals.

I suspect the Skins wait at QB to see what eventually sorts out between the 2010 trio during training camp -- regardless, I figure Shanahan/Allen are still looking for a top-tier QB to draft in 2012. So for now, the Skins should plan to save some money for their future QB needs. Lastly, as I said, there are a lot of candidates for DE, OG, RB, WR, and OLB for Shanny and Co to sort though -- so I don't anticipate the Skins getting too aggressive in free agency there.

My top areas to focus on in the 2011 free agency period are NT, RT, "C", CB, and ILB. The rest are 'wait and see.'

OK....everyone else is posting their wish list so here I go with mine.

CB -- Jonathon Joseph (CIN) or Josh Wilson (BAL). Both good young CB. Say no to Namdi...yes he is great; but he will cost way too much money. Better to spend that money on other players and needs. Grimes is a possibility but way too inconsistent. Brandon Carr (KC) is just 25 and could also be a nice pickup. Even Carlos Rogers being resigned is OK with me; but I don't think he wants to return.

DE -- Cullen Jenkins (GB). Great penetrator and leader. Brings a winning tradition to the team. Age is and never has been the issue. It is the talent you bring to the team. He has 4-5 more great years left in him; seldom injured. IF his brother, Kris Jenkins, wants to stop by and play NT for a couple years while we develop talent, I could live with his age and injuries as long as it does not cost much; which I don't think it would.

IL -- Could go with Scarface (Alexander) or Henson; but Stephen Tulloch (TN) would be a nice young addition to go with Fletcher. Paul Posluszny (BUF) would also be a nice fit.

NT -- Lousy choices available on the team and in free agency. Need to sign Aubrayo Franklin (SF). Brandon Mebane (SEA) would be a poor second choice if Franklin cannot be signed. Mebane is not a true NT and only had one good season followed by a couple average years. He is young;but just is not going to plug the middle like Franklin can.

RT -- Resigning Jamaal Brown is one solution, especially if he comes back healthy. Ryan Harris (DEN) is also an option as some have suggested. Not sure he is any better than Brown however. Jared Gaither (BAL) would be ideal but he will probably attract LT money. Plus, is his back healed from last year? Willie Colon (PIT) is another reasonable option. Great pass blocker but average run blocker. Also, not sure if he can easily switch to a zone blocking scheme.

RG -- Everyone needs to just say "NO" to Davin Joseph (TB). He is a horrible zone blocking guard. He was awful the past two years in TB when they switched to a zone blocking scheme. He was Pro Bowl when they ran a power blocking scheme; that is his niche. Horrible choice if they go with Joseph, TB connection or not. So who do we go after? Best choice is definitely Marshal Yanda (BAL). He filled in at RT for Gaither last year and was awesome. He would bring incredible flexibility to the line. I would be happy with him as a RT solution, too. Perfect fit for a zone blocking system. Young, versatile and athletic. PERFECT FIT. Pay him RT money to play RG if you need to. Best value in free agency right here. If you can't get Yanda, there are several serviceable options: Harvey Dahl (ATL), Justin Blalock (ATL), or Mike Brisiel (HOU)

C -- Sorry guys....no decent center better than Rabach available in free agency unless you convert one of the guards above. Frankly, Rabach is not that bad. His line calls are spot on according to the coaches and he is good at getting out to the LB. His problem is large nose tackles. IF we had decent guards, Rabach wouldn't look so bad to you guys.

WR -- Sidney Rice (MIN). Only guy I would go after. If not him, then resign Santana Moss. He is still a solid receiver and would be great with the young wide receivers we just drafted. And maybe Malcom Kelly stays healthy enough to live up to his talent. Edwards (NYJ) drops way too many balls. If the coaches are really unsure of their WR talent, then maybe Malcom Floyd (SD) or Lance Moore (NO). But look for their teams to make them a priority to resign.

RB -- stick with what we have and let them run. No need to waste $$ on old legs.

QB -- Resign Rex Grossman. NONE of the QBs available in free agency are talented enough or young enough to spend QB dollars on. Grossman and Beck at least know the offense. Not enough time for a QB to pick it up at this late date.

I would also sign Laron Landry and Brian Orakpo to new contracts. They are young talent that need to be retained for the future.

Also need to sign lots of depth at almost every position. Skins should look for young players with lots of upside.

There you go......my :2cents:

After reading some of the names, and the ages behind them, thrown up in this thread it begs the question will some EVER learn? We castigate the Redskins for over spending on ageing vets. year on year; yet as soon as we've created a **** load of cap space suddenly folk are getting giddy over the same thing in the past they've detested. The bi-polar 'Skin fan is alive and kicking in some circles.

Here's hoping we put the money to good use on both locking up our own young talent, and adding to it with quality, good aged players that will still be around in year 4 and 5 when we're hopefully in a position to think of challenging again.

Hail.

4 or 5 years? that's too long. shanny is building to be competitive both now and in the future. I don't think we should limit ourselves based on how a player will perform 5 years from now. shanny may not be around to see the results if he goes about it that way. I'm not for spending big money on big names, but we have lots of holes to fill. we have to put a decent product out there for shanny to even keep his job imo.

Hail.

A. We have no young talent to lock up.

B. We have to - by rule - spend spend spend.

Did a search didnt find anything. If it has been posted i apologize and please merge.

So i was driving home from my girlfriends house i was listening to ESPN radio to listen to all the jeter coverege. The V show with Bobby Valvano was on and he had John Clayton on to discuss the NFL Lockout. Clayton said that once the lockout is lifted that there are a few teams that will need to spend money to hit the floor. One was the redskins and they have over 45mil to play with. Other teams he noted were the Rams, Bucs, and Bengels.

Now with this being said and the money we have to play around with who do you want.

Me personally id like 1 of the 2 recievers the jets got coming off the books, and the rest spent on Lines Lines Lines. Your thoughts. I apologize for the bad grammer and poor spelling in advance.

He also said he expects them to sign 5 contracts within th efirst day which isnt surprising since there will be 500mil spent in a week. Also a fun fact the Cowboys will need to cut 18mil in payroll.

I heard Clayton on the radio earlier today talking about the Redskins, as well. Not sure if its the same interview or not. But one thing I remember Clayton saying is that there were a few teams that were likely to sign Sidney Rice. The Redskins were one of the teams. I would very much love this move. Sign Rice, and show Moss the nearest exit.

---------- Post added July-10th-2011 at 07:39 PM ----------

Btw, Clayton also stated that he thinks McNabb could be very much hurt by the lockout. He said that because by the time the season rolls around nearly every team out there will have a starting QB in place. He said probably the only team that could possibly want McNabb to start for them is the Vikings, since they drafted the rookie QB, Ponder. Interesting.

---------- Post added July-10th-2011 at 07:40 PM ----------

Somehow buy Ryan Kalil from the Panthers and Ryan Harris from the Broncos. one or both was franchise tagged but I hope this new CBA will somehow cancel that...

Khalil was tagged. No chance we land him.

---------- Post added July-10th-2011 at 07:41 PM ----------

I want Posluszny too. He is a great player.

Um, no he's not.

After locking up some guys like Landry and Armstrong I'd like to see us go after the second tier of FA's. Josh Wilson was a great suggestion Yurk made earlier in this thread. He seems to be the kind of guy we could bring in on a modest deal to battle with Barnes for the #2/3 positions. The contract wouldn't be so large to force him into a starting role and the best man plays.

Some younger interior lineman with a few starts on their resumes would be nice as well. I'm all for playing our young players I'd just like to see competition for the starting spots.

A. We have no young talent to lock up.

B. We have to - by rule - spend spend spend.

A) LaRon Landry is going to be a perennial All Pro in this defense. You lock his ass up ASAP.

B) Spending, yes, but not in a stupid way. Give good deals to the ones that we want to keep and spend wisely on free agents who will be here for a while.

Re-signing's:

RT - Jammal Brown

CB - Phillip Buchanan

WR - Santana Moss

FA signing's:

RT - Marshall Yanda

CB - Jonathan Joseph / Josh Wilson

DE - Cullen Jenkins

NT - Aubreyu Franklin only sign him if we sign Wilson instead of Joseph

I'd be perfectly happy with this off-season haul...

C -- Very thin at this position, but nothing much out there in free agency. Shanahan understands what it takes for a ZBS center, so maybe he's got someone already in the wings. I hope the Skins take a look at Lyle Sendlein (Cards) or Jason Spitz (Packers) or maybe Kyle Cook of the Bengals.

If you do wind up signing Spitz, another player to look at is Daryn Colledge. They've played along side each other since they were drafted 5 years ago (granted Scott Wells has been the starter for the past year and a half or so after Spitz's injury), so they have a lot of built up chemistry together. That should be especially useful with the lockout cutting out a lot practice opportunity.

Archived