Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

John Claytin redskins need to spend 45 million to hit cap floor

boston skins fan

You don't have to spend all your free cap on free agents. We could also extend some of our younger core players - not that we have a lot of these mind. Landry is the obvious candidate, Armstrong maybe deserves an improved deal, Davis only has one year left on his rookie deal but would he resign being behind Cooley?

On free agents I expect a NT, DE and corner on defense. A WR (probably Santana), RG and RT and of course QB (probably Rex) on offense.

There is no point in improving Armstrong's deal. He's had one ok season, and he is already turning 28 in August.

Landry is an intriguing possibility though.

If we have to spend money then I'd try to get as many quality linemen as possible. I would not sign anyone over the age of 28. A 5 year deal to someone who's 27 is fine because the deal will expire when they're 32 and beginning to decline.

I'd also use some of that money to give Landry a long term extension. He's gotta be a FA soon and I'd rather lock him up now than risk him going to the open market. Good teams take care of their homegrown talent.

I would love us to sign Josh Wilson. Can be the perfect guy next to Hall. Check out this video

If we don't resing Carlos, he could be a great choice, not very expensive and want to play close to home.

We do not have 45 million to spend on the cap. Sorry but that's not accurate. If that is accurate I'd be absolutely shocked

As for where I think the money should go?

Right Tackle

Center

Guard

WR

Corner

QB

And of course re-signing Landry

In that order. Anything outside of finding a solid line to protect whomever is playing QB to me is putting the cart before the horse. Who those guys are to fit the system we are going to run to me doesn't matter. Wasting money on Namdi, Braylon, or any of the other big names to me is just pulling another Vinny Ceratto season. Its funny to me that so many of you wanted Vinny gone but yet are wishing we keep repeating the same mistakes. Spend the money not on names at the very top of the list but the hungrier under appreciated guys. We should all know by now the minute those big paydays come out to the top guys the sooner they slide and stop producing. Stop buying the cows, just get something to milk for a while.

There is no point in improving Armstrong's deal. He's had one ok season, and he is already turning 28 in August.

Landry is an intriguing possibility though.

I kind of agree with you on Armstrong but he will be a LOT cheaper to sign now to a 3 or 4 year deal than he will be if he has another good year - and by good I mean good for a #2/3 receiver not All Pro good. I thinks it likely he will put up good numbers again and I would offer him an improved deal now but I accept its a bit of a gamble and also not something which would be top of my to do list.

Landry is a must IMHO

Fred Davis should also be a High priority.

I like Moss but if we can add a top tier WR IN FA I won't be devastated if he departs.

I'm not sold on Jammal Brown so RT is a priority.

And don't forget CB, NT and hopefully CENTER.

I say we re-sign Landry

then go after

1 RG Davin Joseph

2 RT Jared Gaither or Ryan Harris

3 MLB Paul Posluszny

then with anything left over we should go after Johnathan Joseph or Jenkins

also I wouldnt mind trading for a center since there really isnt anyone out there in FA

Davin Joseph is overrated. He's not a good pass protector and his run blocking is so-so.

I kind of agree with you on Armstrong but he will be a LOT cheaper to sign now to a 3 or 4 year deal than he will be if he has another good year - and by good I mean good for a #2/3 receiver not All Pro good. I thinks it likely he will put up good numbers again and I would offer him an improved deal now but I accept its a bit of a gamble and also not something which would be top of my to do list.

I see what you're saying, but I don't think there'd be a big difference between an extension for Armstrong this year and signing him when his contract expires (assuming he performs well). Either way I don't think it's going to cost us much. I'd prefer to keep him hungry.

So we have to spend money this FA? Anybody else get the feeling that the lazy journalist will come out and slam us for being so active spending in free agency although were required to by the leagues new CBA? I know its going to happen, haha. "Typical Redskins, blah, blah, blah."

From what I understand, its not a cap floor but an annual cash flow to players floor. That is, we need to add $45M to 2011 payouts for player compensation but currently only have about 10-15M (depending on how the new CBA deals with dead money or potential dead money scheduled to hit in 2011 and 2012) in 2011 cap to do it. This means we will need to pay out cash now of 30-35M that hits the cap later which is pretty much how we got into cap trouble previously.

Nnamdi Asomugha is 30 years old. Cullen Jenkins is 30 years old. Aubrayo Franklin will be 31 years old when the season starts.

Every year it's the same BS from the same crowd. The same people who ***** about Snyder are the same people who get stiff when it's time to sign old free agents.

Bingo!

I have a good feeling that Davin Joseph will be a Skin next year... He came out publicly and said that a big determining factor on whether he would return to TB would be the re-signing of Rudd... From what I've read, Rudd will not be a Buc next year--- Most people down there feel like Rudd is just not that good, but who knows-- maybe we snag them both and provide a little depth at the LB spot while landing a top interior lineman.

Just some speculation/wishful thinking.

Let's hope not. Joseph is a horrible zone blocking guard. He is better for a power running game which we are not. He played poorly the last two years in TB's zone blocking scheme.

Do we need to spend 45 mil on top of the Atogwe signing or does he help that number go down some?

Extending Landry is priority #1 (for defense at least)

I would definitely bid for Sydney Rice and resign Moss, we would have a nasty WR core (just need someone to throw to them now)

I would not disagree with any linemen signing, but none stand out to me currently. I like the suggestions posted above though

I'm surprised no QBs have even been mentioned. Hasslebeck, VY, even Bulger are out there. I think bringing in Hasslebeck would be a good option. Not really into VY or any others, but I think with all that space, a QB should be on the radar. Not that I don't love the Rex/Beck position battle.

As for other positions, Landry extension. Address the lines. Bring back 89.

I'd say it's most important for us to go after Santana, Carlos/Nnamdi/Cromartie, Cullen Jenkins and Ryan Harris/Jammal Brown.

Santana is still a great receiver. Is he top ten in the league? Maybe if someone like Brady is throwing to him. But that being said he is still very skilled, is a hard worker and wants to be here. I think people undervalue him because he hasn't repeated 2005. Look at his numbers that year - it was one of the best receiving years in Redskins history! That doesn't happen very often for any receiver, let alone in the offenses we've had or even the one we had that year. He continues to post impressive numbers on this offense every year and hasn't missed a game in 3 years.

Everyone is down on Carlos for two reasons: he had a case of the dropsies early on, now it's in his head and he simply CANNOT catch a football, and because he isn't exactly excited to play for the redskins, mostly because he feels underappreciated. While I'm down on Carlos' thin-skinned attitude and stone-hands as well (as they are both extremely frustrating), if you put them aside, he is a very solid cover corner and one we will not easily replace. He forces quarterbacks to go at DeAngelo which obviously works out well for us, especially if Kerrigan and Orakpo can get after it this year. For all of those screaming for Nnamdi, here are a few things to think about. His success in Oakland's scheme does not automatically translate to success in ours. While he is a great player, I believe there system is based almost solely on bump-n-run/man coverage which is why Hall sucked out there - he excels at playing off and reading the quarterback. If he were to come here, our scheme would likely have to find a way to keep him doing what he does best while letting Hall play off the receiver on the other side. Yes, I'm nitpicking - but I think there is something to be said about continuity. Really, in my opinion what this comes down to is we need a corner. They need to be starting material and in my opinion that leaves us with Nnamdi, Carlos or Cromartie. I think Cromartie is very similar to Hall and benefits from having Revis across from him. I suppose I would prefer Nnamdi or Cromartie over Carlos but we HAVE to get one of the three.

Cullen Jenkins is about as good as it gets rushing the passer from the inside. This becomes that much more important this year with Kerrigan and Orakpo coming off the edge - we need to eliminate the quarterback's option of stepping up in the pocket. This will greatly increase Kerrigan and Orakpo's sack totals (and Kerrigan is a proven commodity when it comes to causing fumbles) as well as increasing the number of interceptions for our secondary (Hall and Atogwe especially).

Finally, the right side of our line is definitely not a strength. Brown was getting better at the end of last year and has a year in the scheme as well as rehab from the injury. Harris is a stud. Point being, no matter who is behind the center, they'll need protection. That much more so if it's Beck or Grossman. I believe either of these guys can be pretty successful and rack up the yards if they receive ample protection and opportunities from an improved defense.

Those are my top four needs.

After that I'd like to see us look in to Paul Pozlusny or however you spell his name. And obviously I've assumed we are re-signing Grossman.

Archived