Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: What's wrong with eating dog meat?

SkinInsite

Yes I have a dog for a pet and he is my best friend . I would never eat a dog but I can understand if other people have to.

Its not "have to." According to the article its "want to because it makes them **** longer."

Personally, I think it's horrifying and Im glad that it is illegal in most states. There is a big difference between dogs and the animals we traditionally view as food.

---------- Post added July-1st-2011 at 01:46 PM ----------

I will add to that that everyone is entitled to their own feelings on the subject. I pretty much look at with disdain anyone that eats fast food, and i obviously know that is a minority opinion, so whatever. :)

Animals bred for slaughter also possess the ability for awareness. What do you say to the pigs, screaming before they are about to be slaughtered? Do you think *they* don't know what's going to happen to them? It is scientific fact that a pig is smarter than a 3 year old child. How do you know a cow does not posses the capacity of empathy? Have you ever bothered to have a pet cow to find out? Fact is there

is nothing wrong with eating dog. It is only wrong in *your* eyes because your culture has told you it's wrong. In India, it's wrong to eat cows - and they look at Western nations, absolutely disgusted at our treatment of cows. There is no difference between a dog and a cow - only the way you choose to benefit from them.

Dude, you're really barking up the wrong tree.

If you want to argue about it, it's going to be ruff.

It's bound to be a dog-fight, if you want to take on all of us animal supporters, fur sure.

Not tryin to be a jerk, just tryin to help you out, Dawg.

I'm Jain, which to me is kind of a type of Hinduism but it's still considered to be a separate religion.

Technically, vegetarianism is a part of Hinduism and Buddhism as well, but not as many practice it. Most Jains that I know of are vegetarian.

Alrighty then. Thanks for the info. :cheers:

Animals bred for slaughter also possess the ability for awareness. What do you say to the pigs, screaming before they are about to be slaughtered? Do you think *they* don't know what's going to happen to them? It is scientific fact that a pig is smarter than a 3 year old child. How do you know a cow does not posses the capacity of empathy? Have you ever bothered to have a pet cow to find out? Fact is there

is nothing wrong with eating dog. It is only wrong in *your* eyes because your culture has told you it's wrong. In India, it's wrong to eat cows - and they look at Western nations, absolutely disgusted at our treatment of cows. There is no difference between a dog and a cow - only the way you choose to benefit from them.

Agreed.

Reminds me of the thread where people were losing their **** because they had squads going around shooting wild dogs in Iraq. Meanwhile the dogs there are nothing more than overgrown rats--digging through garbage and even attacking people. To each their own. I would never, ever eat a dog (and I don't even like dogs really) but I'm not so arrogant to expect the ENTIRE rest of the world to think like me.

I've got no problem if someone wants to eat dog meat. Meat is meat regardless of cultural taboos. I've seen people with those pot-bellied pigs as pets and I don't immediately think, "Hmmm, it's a pet that means it can't be eaten." Nope, just the opposite, "Hmmm, if I need food for my family I know where I'm going." I personally, think these emotional attachments that we place on a certain species of animal are nonsense.

Its not "have to." According to the article its "want to because it makes them **** longer."

There are lots of strange things that we eat to increase our stamina....oysters anyone?

Personally, I think it's horrifying and Im glad that it is illegal in most states. There is a big difference between dogs and the animals we traditionally view as food.

There is your answer...because we're not talking about us or our culture, we're talking about Korean culture.

WE don't eat Guinea Pigs either...and yet....

cuy-in-ecuador.jpg

There are lots of strange things that we eat to increase our stamina....oysters anyone?

Speak for yourself. For me, its not an issue. :)

There is your answer...because we're not talking about us or our culture, we're talking about Korean culture.

Im talking about me, what I think, and how i feel about the practice. If people want to eat dog, or bugs, or feces, that is their decision. MY decision is to view them with disgust.

But bacon tastes good.... pork chops taste good....

Yeah, as someone who has actually had dog before, I'd say that it doesn't compare at all. It's sour and gamy.

Before people freak out, I didn't know it was dog at the time and it was overseas. Unfortunately, it was definitely a situation where refusing to eat the rest would have been a very poor choice. Very tough to finish it.

I know many people who value their dog more than most people. And think about it, dogs certainly do convey a list of emotions. My sis was crying one day, and our dog rested her head on her shoulders, as to empthize...& of course there's jealousy, happiness, and most importantly loyalty. These emotions may not have the complexity that we carry with them, but they're certainly there. We relate to them, which is why we have trouble with the thought of eating them, imo.

Speak for yourself. For me, its not an issue. :)

Yeah, ever since that prescription started things are working out for ya eh? :ols:

Im talking about me, what I think, and how i feel about the practice. If people want to eat dog, or bugs, or feces, that is their decision. MY decision is to view them with disgust.

That's fine, but what I can't stand is the classic arrogance that says, "It's taboo in our culture therefore it should be taboos in yours". As long as people realize that these are cultural differences and not universal rights and wrongs then we can get along, it's when the lines are blurred that we run into issues.

I know many people who value their dog more than most people. And think about it, dogs certainly do convey a list of emotions. My sis was crying one day, and our dog rested her head on her shoulders, as to empthize...& of course there's jealousy, happiness, and most importantly loyalty. These emotions may not have the complexity that we carry with them, but they're certainly there. We relate to them, which is why we have trouble with the thought of eating them, imo.

True, but there is obviously a difference between a "pet that you cuddle with/communicate with" and a random, wild dog in Asia that you probably wouldn't be able to communicate with that, if at all. No ones talking about going up to someones doorstep, taking Sparky, and chopping him up in their backyard.

I think ( and I may be wrong) that the issue with some of the people in this thread is that they think it's wrong because of the fact that dogs can be pets, not that it's another animal being slaughtered. I don't think they'd have much of a problem eating a few slices of bacon from a big that probably squealed mercilessly before it had it's head lopped off.

I once had a friend who spent two years in Africa. She adopted a stray dog while there and had kept it as a pet for a few weeks, but one day she came home and couldn't find the dog anywhere. Come to find out, her neighbors had actually killed and eaten the dog. The girl ended up adopting a new dog some weeks later and this time put a sign around his neck (in the native language) that said something to the effect of "This is XX's dog, please do not eat him"

I once had a friend who spent two years in Africa. She adopted a stray dog while there and had kept it as a pet for a few weeks, but one day she came home and couldn't find the dog anywhere. Come to find out, her neighbors had actually killed and eaten the dog. The girl ended up adopting a new dog some weeks later and this time put a sign around his neck (in the native language) that said something to the effect of "This is XX's dog, please do not eat him"

Interestingly enough, in Guatemala if you were to care for a dog the way we do, it would be an insult to the people there because of the needs they have, and the money spent on dog food could have been spent on children. Granted that this isn't the same thing as the article, but it just again goes to show the differences in cultures.

Archived