Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: What's wrong with eating dog meat?

SkinInsite

True, but there is obviously a difference between a "pet that you cuddle with/communicate with" and a random, wild dog in Asia that you probably wouldn't be able to communicate with that, if at all. No ones talking about going up to someones doorstep, taking Sparky, and chopping him up in their backyard.

I think ( and I may be wrong) that the issue with some of the people in this thread is that they think it's wrong because of the fact that dogs can be pets, not that it's another animal being slaughtered. I don't think they'd have much of a problem eating a few slices of bacon from a big that probably squealed mercilessly before it had it's head lopped off.

Right; I agree with you. I think the fact that humans and dogs are capable of forming a bonding relationship is the basis for the outcry. You just don't see that with cattle or chickens or what have you.

In fact, some hillbilly relatives of mine have a pet pig they let in the house every now and then. It's hilarious.

Interestingly enough, in Guatemala if you were to care for a dog the way we do, it would be an insult to the people there because of the needs they have, and the money spent on dog food could have been spent on children. Granted that this isn't the same thing as the article, but it just again goes to show the differences in cultures.

Interesting you say that, because that is exactly the country where I unwittingly ate dog doing missionary work.

Have you been to Guatemala as a missionary Asbury?

Interesting you say that, because that is exactly the country where I unwittingly ate dog doing missionary work.

Have you been to Guatemala as a missionary Asbury?

Yes. I was trying to find the picture I have of an entirely emaciated dog that was digging through a pile of burning trash for some food. A couple of the young girls on our team were going to take their lunch and feed it, but our guide stopped them and pointed to the children at the school we were serving who got but one cup of soup per day for food. Watching the light bulbs come on in the eyes of the girls was amazing, and it broke their heart at the reality that the families there faced every day.

Yes. I was trying to find the picture I have of an entirely emaciated dog that was digging through a pile of burning trash for some food. A couple of the young girls on our team were going to take their lunch and feed it, but our guide stopped them and pointed to the children at the school we were serving who got but one cup of soup per day for food. Watching the light bulbs come on in the eyes of the girls was amazing, and it broke their heart at the reality that the families there faced every day.

exactly! That's what I was insinuating with my post on the last page. The meal was cooked specifically for us as foreign visitors, and all they could feed us was dog. Refusing to eat it would have been extremely insulting to their hospitality and condition.

If people in other countries eat dogs, good for them, especially if it keeps them alive. I personally find it disturbing (I wanted to puke so bad when I asked what the food was and found out).

---------- Post added July-1st-2011 at 03:54 PM ----------

Our nation has a collective mental illness when it comes to dogs and cats unheard of in world history. I wonder how long the trend will continue and if it will stay.

Ancient Egypt bro

exactly! That's what I was insinuating with my post on the last page. The meal was cooked specifically for us as foreign visitors, and all they could feed us was dog. Refusing to eat it would have been extremely insulting to their hospitality and condition.

If people in other countries eat dogs, good for them, especially if it keeps them alive. I personally find it disturbing (I wanted to puke so bad when I asked what the food was and found out).

Yeah, that's about right, the meat would have been bad tasting I'm sure, after all it probably lived off trash and other refuse, making it gamey. So unlike our farm raised meats that are fed healthy diets. To this day I still have trouble buying a bag of dog food for my pet.

Why not ask "what's wrong with the myth that torturing the dog prior to killing it makes the meat taste better"? That myth is alive and well in Korea. Beaten to death, hung and then beaten to death, electrocuted, and the ol' burn their fur off with a blow torch while they are still alive to really make increase the quality. Great stuff. How about asking "is eating dogs really a cultural tradition?" because that seems to be in great dispute. Eating dogs seems to rise and fall with economic situations.

Many groups looking into the issue are claiming that dog eating comes mostly from areas with a heavy Chinese influence. China is basically the worst place to be an animal. If it's horrible and involves an animal odds are the Chinese are all over it. From beating dogs to death on the streets, to fighting horses, to chasing every native animal to the brink of extinction, to fighting horses. If animal cruelty had a head quarters odds are good it would be located somewhere in China (or maybe Delaware for the tax breaks).

Of course once there is money to be made all that goes our the window. Those seeking to sell it and indeed make a major industry out of what sprang up as poor people catching strays to eat and sell have given it the good infomercial spin! Suddenly it does everything from reduce sweating to increasing male stamina and sexual prowess. I hope the people from Enzyte read about this because of those guys are so desperate they are eating tortured dogs Enzyte could be making a killing over promising nonsense.

Factory farming is a gruesome reality masked by utter bull****. Rolling green hills with happy animals appear on the commercials and the fantasy of the imagined farm is trotted out to make consumers feel good about what they are eating. The reality of course is that animals live a life of hell before meeting with a horrible end. You see animals are products and the name of the game is profit. No dime is going to be spent on comfort or welfare the cheapest way to get out the product is the way to go and if that means packing them in so tight they can't move, that's just fine. Hell it might even make for more tender meat and you can charge extra!

Personally I think an animal shaped by man to bond with us deserves better. The practice disgusts me and I don't care about the tradition excuse. Someone having done it somewhere doesn't mean **** to me.

We are killing 4 million perfectly good dogs and well over 12 million cats every year any way.

Maybe if they were part of our food supply, we might give a tiny **** about them.

If by "tiny ****" you mean making their lives even worse before killing them in more horrific ways... then sure.

Being a vegan means I don't have to make up reasons why eating a pig is somehow different than eating a dog. It's all barbaric and unnecessary. Live cruelty free. It's the only way to live.

I'm not vegan, but close and I agree with you.

---------- Post added July-1st-2011 at 06:48 PM ----------

If by "tiny ****" you mean making their lives even worse before killing them in more horrific ways... then sure.

My post was rich in sarcasm, although ACCT is almost as bad as a slaughterhouse and probably has similar numbers.

If you go to places like SC, they use the heart stick, where you hold a dog down and then try and ram a hollow rod threw its heart, although usually, puppies tend to squirm, so they writhe around in pain as their lungs fill with blood.

Tennessee has shelters that take the dogs to a junkyard every friday and then use them for target practice.

The 4 million dogs that get stuck in tiny cages, covered in their own **** and piss, listening to every other scared dog bark and howl, before they get put down ever so humanely, have it slightly better than a real slaughterhouse. Sometimes.

What a way to treat the animals we domesticated and occasionally love.

Pig cooker? Want to dumb it down a shade?

type it into google, dip****. :)

We are killing 4 million perfectly good dogs and well over 12 million cats every year any way.

Maybe if they were part of our food supply, we might give a tiny **** about them.

why not export them to Laos?

Dogs eat rice? Who knew?

:ols: I guess what aggravates me is that there are some who are crying out that we give a "tiny ****" about dogs and cats, and yet they want to stand in the way of people trying to feed their families. At what point do we start saying, "how about we give a tiny **** about humans"? Instead what we hear is, "let them eat cake".

I've eaten dog in Mexico, and I've also helped four young homeless boys catch a stray for them to have their first meal in two days. There are a lot of beautiful, smart dogs that are wonderful companions and excellent pets.

There are a lot of wild, stray dogs that can be aggressive and a risk to public safety. Generally these dogs get put down anyways, why not feed third world, hungry mouths? If I didn't help those boys catch the stray, someone would have been along in the next few days and shot it for their own food, or just because it was a wild stray that could be aggressive towards young children.

My cousin lived in a village where sheep herding is a way of life. Sometimes they shoot and kill wolves to protect the herd; they don't leave it there to rot and attract other predators. They eat the wolf. Sometimes stray and wild dogs wonder into the area and attack they sheep. They shoot and eat those too. We're not talking about a Yorkie-Poo sitting on someone's couch when they decide they're hungry. We're talking about killing two birds with one stone, eliminating vermin and feeding the poor.

My cousin lived in a village where sheep herding is a way of life. Sometimes they shoot and kill wolves to protect the herd; they don't leave it there to rot and attract other predators. They eat the wolf. Sometimes stray and wild dogs wonder into the area and attack they sheep. They shoot and eat those too. We're not talking about a Yorkie-Poo sitting on someone's couch when they decide they're hungry. We're talking about killing two birds with one stone, eliminating vermin and feeding the poor.

Ironically, a couple of Great Pyrenees would keep them from having to shoot wolves. Most likely the scent alone would keep them away. If not, the Pyrenees themselves would

If you have to shoot a wolf though I guess its good that its eaten. Though I do cringe whenever I hear about a wolf being shot.

A friend of mine used to raise goats. He kept a couple of Pyrenees with them. NOTHING and NOBODY got near that herd, except him and his wife. They routinely found coyote carcasses, dog carcasses, etc. in the field

People are smart and friendly too, meat is not meat. We don't eat cat either. There is a difference between companion animals and food animals.

Also, "why not, Koreans do it" is not a good excuse for anything.

You are opening a pandora's box with this companion pet idea. So then you are against people eating horse, hawks, storks, cats, elephants, and monkey? In many countries around the world these are all companion pets that have been bred over thousands of years to perform specific tasks in order to form a symbiotic relationships between man and animal. Does this mean they are somehow better or in a different category than other animals and thus cannot be killed for food?

Archived