Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Deion Sanders and the Washington Redskins

L7Panda

OK L7P..

Think of the most hated team for any Jets fan. Who is it?

Now, think about who is their most annoying player, their biggest primadonna and imagine that that guy is on the decline of his career.

Then, imagine the Jets spending a ridiculous amount of money to sign him from free agency.

Finally, picture him showing up to the signing press conference in a green and white suit with big lapels and about nine buttons, then laughing his way through that being a real "me" guy.

That should give you an idea how it felt when that piece of **** ******* was signed by the Skins. And to add insult to injury, we had to watch the ****er avoiding contact all season. Grrrrrr.

Well said.

Deion Sanders was never here to win games. He was here for the money and nothing more. He was a guy that never wanted o win in Washington because he knew he only had one good chance to get a big payday and Dan Snyder was a easy target. He was on the downside of his career and he knew it. I didn't like the signing at the time and knew he was just here for the money but I thought he would help the team more than he did. Am I mad or bitter? Somewhat but I cheered for him when he was here. I hate to see someone get paid for poor performance because of a contract they signed. If I didn't perform in my job they would get rid of me without pay so why should these guys get paid? That was Deion Sanders. He hasn't changed a bit.He hides behind a facade of being a spiritual man that guides wayward souls when in reality he just is out to remain in the spotlight. Bruce Smith and all the rest of the over paid players that signed here were no better. They all were wanting that last big money contract before they were shipped out of town.

[---------- Post added June-29th-2011 at 10:22 AM ----------

For me it was the Low point in Redskin History. I absolutely loathe the guy. He is everything is is wrong in professional sports

It was twice as bad because they let B mitch go

Letting B Mitch go wasn't as bad because he was on his decline also. The two moves were just two of the bad moves made by the Redskins and Vinny Cerrato's less than stellar GM skills.

Letting B Mitch go wasn't as bad because he was on his decline also. The two moves were just two of the bad moves made by the Redskins and Vinny Cerrato's less than stellar GM skills.

That isn't true - he played another 3 years for the Eagles and gave them solid production and veteran leadership on those division champ/NFC championship game teams, then one last year with the Giants I believe.

paloosa,

In terms of his value, obviously he didn't live up to his price tag, but he did contribute to a much-improved defense in 2000. I don't like the guy, but facts are facts. He was responsible for 6 or 7 turnovers (4 interceptions, 2 fumble recoveries, and 1 forced fumble) and I remember reading that year that he only gave up 1 TD reception. He was a good defensive player for the Redskins in 2000 even though he had very little impact in the return game. He had 1 big return that directly contributed to our win over TB.

People tend to overrate the "horrible" moves between 1999 and 2000. Long-term they were awful, but they were effective moves for the 2000 season. And, I think even Snyder would admit that he made them in a win-now approach. Our defense improved from 30th in 1999 to 4th in 2000. Had Brad Johnson maintained his level of play, our kicking game been adequate, and our injury situation not been dismal, I think we'd have made the playoffs and possibly won the division in 2000. Our defense stepped up while our offense (excusably in some cases) regressed significantly.

I have been a longtime hater of deion since his days at Florida State. But anyone comparing this move with Fat Albert is off base IMO. There has never been a worse situation than the attitude and laziness of Albert Haynesworth. Sanders at least tried and he really didn't play THAT badly as he only gave up 1 TD pass.

But to answer your question I was kind of forced to be on board with him as well as the signing. And even though we still had Mr. Darrell Green and Champ Bailey at the time the Rams with their "Greatest Show On Turf" were the team to beat. Washington was coming off a season where they were a bad snap away from the NFC Title Game and in posession of 3 #1 picks so I could kind of understand the reason for the signing. They were thinking Super Bowl as most teams would in that situation and they knew they needed players to match up with the Rams' multiple weapons at WR.

There aint' no 'I' in team, but there SURE as Hell is in De-I-on!

Hated the move then, still have ZERO time for the clown now. If I had a dollar for every whiffed tackle he **** out of in his "last big pay day from the dumb ass Redskins" year here .....

RIGHT up there with Haynesworth as my most detested Redskin ever. Oh, the fat man has been FAR worse a disgrace to this organization, no question, but I seriously do not like ME-ion.

Once a Cowboy, ALWAYS a dick.

Hail.

Never a huge Deion fan but I was fairly indifferent to the signing. His contract wasn't terrible either. (other than forgetting the "no baseball allowed" clause) I believe when you broke it down it was set up as a 3 year/$15 million deal. The headline number was much larger but that contract was way backloaded.

He also only gave up one TD all year, to RJ Soward of the Jaguars IIRC. The bigger problem was he gave up about 200 10 yard hitches for first downs all season it seemed.

My main issue with his signing wasn't the money or his production...it was that he added the most gas to the Redskins circus that year and helped fuel it for years to come.

Back then I was more tolerant of rivals joining the Redskins. I had season tickets back then so I was there for the first preseason game of the 2000 season. While I and a few others cheered for Deion when he was introduced, most of the crowd (to their credit now in retrospect) booed him.

Deion was never a popular move with most Redskin fans.

When we signed Sanders I was disgusted with our owner and with Norv. I knew Sanders was ripping off the Skins but our management team was too dumb to figure it out. It was at that time their all time worst signing....until Mr. Do Nothing Haynesworth arrived on the scene. Also other ex-Cowboys had been signed before we signed Sanders and they had been big busts as well.

If I remember correctly, we released Brian Mitchell to make room for Sanders. This was imo the worst move Dan Snyder has ever made. I don't really bash him because his intentions were good, but this was a horrible move! B-Mitch is a hater these days, but those days he was a Redskin and had yet to wear any other colors.

Exactly why I didn't like him, plus we made Darrell Green a backup. It was pretty much a sign that Snyder was all about making a big splash as he signed Deion and Bruce Smith and basically got nothing

Interesting to read through the replies. Sorry if I made some of you re-live the horrible feeling I had in my stomach when we signed Jason Taylor prior to last season.

Imagine if y`all had signed Jason Taylor, paid him an obscene amount of money, he came in to town, phoned it in and avoided contact all year, then retired with his dough while talking **** about your team on his way out. That's pretty much how it went down for us with Deion.

Deion's me-ism was anti-Gibbs which rubbed people wrong, more he was a mercenary who came from the enemy, and finally he was mediocre when he got here. He could sorta still play cb, but we still had Darrell Green and Champ Bailey and he was terrible at the return game.

The fact that he lasted a year and ran away with the money while mocking the team certainly didn't endear him to many.

But he played well enough to start. You can't really complain when the guy outplayed the others on the team. Nor can you really complain about him taking the money. Not his fault Snyder tried to buy his favorite players from Madden 2001.

The only thing that sticks for me is, if I'm remembering right, that 28 sat down to let 21 start. Is that accurate?

---------- Post added June-29th-2011 at 06:46 PM ----------

Exactly why I didn't like him, plus we made Darrell Green a backup. It was pretty much a sign that Snyder was all about making a big splash as he signed Deion and Bruce Smith and basically got nothing

What? Bruce could still play, and certainly relative to the rest of the team. Was he a little selfish? Sure, but I'm not about to give him a hard time for playing for self first (and even that's an overstatement) when the team wasn't going anywhere. He still got 10 sacks for the season in the last game. You're really calling out Bruce?

---------- Post added June-29th-2011 at 06:47 PM ----------

Remember that horrible suit Deion wore when he arrived in Washington? UGH

At least he knew the team's colors. Better than the last coach did.

OK L7P..

Think of the most hated team for any Jets fan. Who is it?

Now, think about who is their most annoying player, their biggest primadonna and imagine that that guy is on the decline of his career.

Then, imagine the Jets spending a ridiculous amount of money to sign him from free agency.

Finally, picture him showing up to the signing press conference in a green and white suit with big lapels and about nine buttons, then laughing his way through that being a real "me" guy.

That should give you an idea how it felt when that piece of **** ******* was signed by the Skins. And to add insult to injury, we had to watch the ****er avoiding contact all season. Grrrrrr.

You left out the part about cutting a player in favor of him, a player who un-like Me-ion, was still on the upside of his career, then went on to a division rival and terrorized us for several years, just to rub it in.

You left out the part about cutting a player in favor of him, a player who un-like Me-ion, was still on the upside of his career, then went on to a division rival and terrorized us for several years, just to rub it in.

I'm having a brain fart moment. Who did we cut for Deion?

Yes I did. BMitch right? I think I captured the feeling though... :)

---------- Post added June-30th-2011 at 05:17 PM ----------

Interesting to read through the replies. Sorry if I made some of you re-live the horrible feeling I had in my stomach when we signed Jason Taylor prior to last season.

The difference between Taylor and Meion is this to me: if a Cowboys player who was at least a class act (someone like Moose Johnston for example) came here under the same circumstances, but he didn't make a circus of the signing, and he played hard for the team, I would have been a little upset (he was a Cowturd after all) but wouldn't have a problem rooting for him. But Deion wasn't a class act, he made a circus of the signing, and he really didn't give 100%. **** him.

Although Taylor was not coming from a rival team, he handled himself well enough when he was here that he didn't earn our eternal enmity. Did he ruffle Jets fans' feathers?

Although Taylor was not coming from a rival team, he handled himself well enough when he was here that he didn't earn our eternal enmity. Did he ruffle Jets fans' feathers?

He was though. Released (or traded) by the Dolphins after our one-year rental, signed by the Jets

Archived