Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Deion Sanders and the Washington Redskins

L7Panda

I always was curious as to what the reactions were in Redskins country when Deion Sanders signed his name on the dotted line and became a memeber of the Redskins. I'm guessing he was a hated rival while he was with Dallas, so what happened when he became a Redskin? Were a good majority of the fans against it, but then eventually warmed up to him and accepted him? Or were a good majority against the the move and never warmed up to him?

I know that when the Jets signed long time hated rival Jason Taylor last off-season, many of us were mortified. However, after a Week 2 play against New England (sacked Tom Brady to clinch the W) he was really excepted by a good majority of the fan base, but there are still others (myself included), who, while we respected the handful of plays he made for us in big games, we still didn't like him and are glad that we cut him at the conclusion of the season.

So what was it like Redskins fans? I'm truly interested.

One of the more disliked players ever on a 'skins roster. I think he was tolerated while he was here. I recently composed a thread comparing the dislike between Deion and Haynesworth.

Deion's me-ism was anti-Gibbs which rubbed people wrong, more he was a mercenary who came from the enemy, and finally he was mediocre when he got here. He could sorta still play cb, but we still had Darrell Green and Champ Bailey and he was terrible at the return game.

The fact that he lasted a year and ran away with the money while mocking the team certainly didn't endear him to many.

If I remember correctly, we released Brian Mitchell to make room for Sanders. This was imo the worst move Dan Snyder has ever made. I don't really bash him because his intentions were good, but this was a horrible move! B-Mitch is a hater these days, but those days he was a Redskin and had yet to wear any other colors.

As a Skins fan at the time, he was the only player I could remember wishing that he would get hurt. If someone on the team had to screw up and give up a TD or something, I always hoped it was against him. I gave myself a facepalm when I heard he was signed. I remember thinking no ****ing way. I cursed Snyder when he was signed. It was one of those things that you knew would never be ok.

I know I didn't like it.

I knew he was past his Prime Time.

But the worst was yet to come................

My best friend of over 30 years was at Redskin Park back then and deion was signing autographs,but wouldn't sign any to white kids.

My friend spoke up LOUD AND CLEAR and told one boy dont bother...."your hands the wrong COLOR"

deion looked him right in the face and scowled but didn't miss a beat as he kept on signing for Black,African American,Colored what ever the heck it is today .

to this day he will always be a P@%!K to me.

I can't make you believe it but like I said I've known my friend for 30+ years.

I was thrilled when Dionne was signed here. Along with all the other guys brought in to win us a SB that season.

Then...... what Burgold said:

"Deion's me-ism was anti-Gibbs which rubbed people wrong, more he was a mercenary who came from the enemy, and finally he was mediocre when he got here. He could sorta still play cb, but we still had Darrell Green and Champ Bailey and he was terrible at the return game.

The fact that he lasted a year and ran away with the money while mocking the team certainly didn't endear him to many. "

I was this close *holds thumb and forefinger 1 inch apart* from giving up my season tickets when I heard we sign that POS...and they had been in my family since the late 50's

Now can we please not bring this piece of trash up again...I am about to regurgitate the ice cream I just ate....

Yeah, the man is pretty universally reviled among Redskins fans. The deal was not good, he was not a team guy, he played sub-par when he got here, and he split with the cash after a year, laughing at us all the way to the bank. You'll have to dig pretty hard to find any love for the guy around these parts.

OK L7P..

Think of the most hated team for any Jets fan. Who is it?

Now, think about who is their most annoying player, their biggest primadonna and imagine that that guy is on the decline of his career.

Then, imagine the Jets spending a ridiculous amount of money to sign him from free agency.

Finally, picture him showing up to the signing press conference in a green and white suit with big lapels and about nine buttons, then laughing his way through that being a real "me" guy.

That should give you an idea how it felt when that piece of **** ******* was signed by the Skins. And to add insult to injury, we had to watch the ****er avoiding contact all season. Grrrrrr.

Archived