Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Stopping Recurring Dreams

Hubbs

I have two dreams that I'd really, really like to get rid of. One I've been having for years, one a few times over the past couple of weeks. So my question to you all is, have you had recurring dreams before? If so, did they ever stop, and do you have any idea why?

Any advice would be appreciated.

The summer after I got out of the Navy I kept dreaming I was back on the ship. It wasn't pleasant, the feeling of "Hey, I was done with this, what the hell?". It eventually just went away.

A friend of mine went to the Naval Academy and had a similar experience after graduating. He told me that putting on his uniform, looking in the mirror and repeatedly telling himself he never had to go back put an end to it.

Another guy I knew said he had awful nightmares every night as a child. Something about a figure he called the Sandman. He'd wake up yelling and upset in the middle of the night, every night. He told me he taught himself to be a lucid dreamer, that was the only thing that put an end to it. Google lucid dreaming, and best of luck to you.

I have one from time to time about being in college, nearing final exams, and realizing that I haven't attended one of my classes all semester. It seems pretty cookie-cutter but I have never attempted to suppress it. Are your dreams especially disturbing or just annoying?

One is annoying, but that's the one I've been having for years, and I always wake up in a panic. The other one is much worse, and that's the one that only showed up a few weeks ago.

One is annoying, but that's the one I've been having for years, and I always wake up in a panic. The other one is much worse, and that's the one that only showed up a few weeks ago.

Interesting...I think that Redskins Diehard might have a good suggestion. Maybe Google dream interpretations and try to figure out why you might be having those dreams. If you can eliminate the underlying cause, maybe it will go away?

I have one from time to time about being in college, nearing final exams, and realizing that I haven't attended one of my classes all semester. It seems pretty cookie-cutter but I have never attempted to suppress it. Are your dreams especially disturbing or just annoying?

You know its been 20+ years since I went to college and I still have that type of dream. Except it also includes not knowing were the exam is going to be.

You know its been 20+ years since I went to college and I still have that type of dream. Except it also includes not knowing were the exam is going to be.

It must just mean that we have things that are hanging over our heads that we're not ready for or something...

In mine, I always have one course that I haven't attended and in my dream it finally dawns on me that the moment of reckoning is almost upon me!

Wow, I've had that one before too a couple of times. Another one I have is sports related - my team is about to take the field, and some piece of my equipment is missing. It's been years since I played football or went to college, but those dreams still pop up on occasion. Odd.

Another one I have is that I need to run or move or even just lift my arm to do something, but I'm paralyzed. I feel myself in my sleep trying to move, but I can't.

Yeah recurring and sequels(which I friggin hate)

Either try to correct the cause(stress/trauma or whatever) or try to distract your subconsciousness in advance(extreme focus on another matter/subject 15-20 mins before sleeping)

You might notice I don't sleep much

Wow, I've had that one before too a couple of times. Another one I have is sports related - my team is about to take the field, and some piece of my equipment is missing. It's been years since I played football or went to college, but those dreams still pop up on occasion. Odd.

Another one I have is that I need to run or move or even just lift my arm to do something, but I'm paralyzed. I feel myself in my sleep trying to move, but I can't.

I've had one where I take the dog for a walk and realized I was missing the big game.

hah...I have the same dream and no clue why. I had no issues in high school and overall enjoyed it.

So I'm clueless as to why it comes up on a regular basis.

Same here (only it may be college); I like didn't attend a class all semester, and then wake up and realize wait, I HAVE no classes.

I had one when I was younger; don't know why it stopped.

For some reason, I have reoccurring dreams about tornadoes. This has been happening for years. A few months ago in real life, an F3 tornado went right over the street I grew up on and destroyed the houses of a few of my childhood friends.

I also have the dream of having to go back to high school and take classes.

Another reoccurring dream I have had, although not much anymore, is a dream where I get back with an ex-girlfriend from a long time ago.

Did you have some trauma in the recent, not so distant, or distant past? What ended my recurring dreams was identifying the problem (usually a problem around when the recurring dreams started) and directly dealing with that issue. Then my recurring dreams stopped.

Has anyone ever had dreams where places keep reoccuring, or in my case new dreams happen in the same place?

I have had dreams for years now every once in a while, each dream is different, but each dream has taken place in a town I have never been to in real life, but i know very well now because of my dreams, one street and one house specifically as well. In some dreams I will even recognize where I am in this town and know how to get to that certain house from there.

The dreams about scholastic unpreparedness are extremely common. To remedy them, one should take a minute or two each day to concentrate on placing oneself back into the dream, then emphatically noting that it was all just B.S. nonsense. Do it before one goes to bed, or when driving, or whenever. The next time one has such a dream, one should very quickly start to question the reality of the dream. Most people will then wake-up. Some, however, may then start lucid dreaming.

haha never had any school related dreams, well not that I can remember at least. Always have dreams about the Redskins and them playing in the big game, and me somehow being placed directly in the action (as a player or something.) Pretty cool.

My recurring dreams were all about being chased. Chased by anything from a Tiger in a multi-story house, a Navy Destroyer with Commandos zip lining onto my war ship, chased by assassins and getting into a shoot out at, of all place, the Vienna Metro station, and vampires. Common theme was getting chased.

Archived