Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tufts Now: Whites Believe They Are Victims of Racism More Often Than Blacks

SkinsHokieFan

In some ways' date=' yes. In others, maybe not.

Of course, that was not my point. It's not easier to be black than it is to be white.[/quote']

I think it has a lot to do with the community you live in too.

I have a hard time looking at this subjectively because i live in a county that is very predominantly white.

For example the company i work for has 32 operators and they are all white except for one hispanic man.

We were just told that they are going to reduce the workforce by four people and even though the one minority we have is almost certainly the worst operator he is not going to lose his job because he is the only minority.

Some would consider this unfair but if we were 50/50 in terms of whites to minorities he would certainly lose his job.

Ive never been able to make up my mind on wether its right because we have so few minorities.

White 81

Black 1

Jewish 14

Hispanic 2

Asian 2

Native American 0

------------------------------

White 95

Hispanic 2

Asian 2

Black 1

Yeah, I was wondering if anyone was going to notice that Judaism isn't actually, you know, a race. :)

I still can't believe there are 14 Jewish senators. :)

They are masquerading as Whites. :ols:

---------- Post added May-25th-2011 at 02:52 PM ----------

Yeah, I was wondering if anyone was going to notice that Judaism isn't actually, you know, a race. :)

Mistrust and discrimination doesn't have to be limited to racial lines. :)

I think it has a lot to do with the community you live in too.

I have a hard time looking at this subjectively because i live in a county that is very predominantly white.

For example the company i work for has 32 operators and they are all white except for one hispanic man.

We were just told that they are going to reduce the workforce by four people and even though the one minority we have is almost certainly the worst operator he is not going to lose his job because he is the only minority.

Some would consider this unfair but if we were 50/50 in terms of whites to minorities he would certainly lose his job.

Ive never been able to make up my mind on wether its right because we have so few minorities.

I hear things like this I have two simultaneous reactions:

1. That is almost certainly not the complete story, and

2. That is not necessary.

---------- Post added May-25th-2011 at 01:55 PM ----------

Mistrust and discrimination doesn't have to be limited to racial lines. :)

Why don't you trust the Jews?

It's interesting to see the response to this thread. I am confused though. Do white people feel there is a bias against them, or the bias is effecting their way of life?

I don't know that bias is the proper word.

Maybe a perception that others get deferential treatment.

It has been my experience that if you provide good work for an honest price, you work.

I do, never collected a day of unemployment in my life.

I'm white, and have never been rich, never been given anything because I'm white, never been told the secret on how we whiteys can get over... never. I've come from the same neighborhoods as a lot of poor black people.. (I was clearly the minority where i came up.) I haven't become anything close to a financial success, but I get by and pay my bills. (Of course, I see all these "success stories" and their foreclosures and heaping debt, and I wonder just which one of us is the success?)

I think the playing field is about as level as it's going o get until the good ol' boy network dies off .. generationally it will decrease. Expecting that segment to just abandon their

racism is unrealistic, and by no means do I mean that is only a one way street.

I may be wrong in my perception, but I see racism fading on the white side, but growing in blacks and Hispanics.

if the roles were reversed in who owns the most businesses and provided the most jobs, then I think the OP article may be on to something. But since it's not, the racism i see displayed by non-whites toward whites is one of contempt.

Anyway, people are going to play with their coloring books. No one is ever going to be happy and they'll always find someone different to blame their problems on. I've no time for that bull**** in my life anymore. I've long since realized that if my life sucks, it's my own damn fault. Period.

Opportunity exists for all, so take it, make it work or shut the **** up.

That's how I see it.

~Bang

Anyway, people are going to play with their coloring books. No one is ever going to be happy and they'll always find someone different to blame their problems on. I've no time for that bull**** in my life anymore. I've long since realized that if my life sucks, it's my own damn fault. Period.

Opportunity exists for all, so take it, make it work or shut the **** up.

That's how I see it.

~Bang

I would just like to repost this for those who couldn't make it through multiple paragraphs, lol

I take issue with a couple of things in this thread.

First, the poll is about discrimination, not about whether it's easier to be white or black. Some seem to be conflating the two issues.

Second, this thread already has examples of anti-white male policies, but none of anti minority/women policies. Many white people notice things like targeting minorities and women for jobs. Many employers, either through the goodness of their hearts or because of rules they must follow, go out of their way to offer jobs to non-white-men. These policies are systemic in government and non-government positions. I'm not complaining here, but I am pointing it out because nothing systemic like this against minorities/blacks openly exists in most of our world today. That doesn't mean there isn't a good-old-boy network, but that network isn't open or official policy. Plus, minority and women employers do the same "good old boy" thing, which many may have noticed as well.

Third, I don't like the implication in the OP link that worse outcomes for minorities have an association with racism today. Higher crime rates, lower employment, worse education, etc., are all significant problems in minority communities, but it's unclear that any of that has to do with racism today. Maybe it was part of the original cause, but it's not what is maintaining the status quo.

With all of that said, I see racism from every race and gender to this day. I didnt' take the poll so I have no idea what my exact position would be. I would certainly acknowledge the anti-white male policies in my answers though.

You want to know who is really discriminated against the most in the workforce?

The aged and the unemployed.

Trying being over 50 and/or currently unemployed in this job market. We have even had some employers on this board who have said flat out they won't hire anyone who isn't currently empoyed. And age discrimination in my opinion, while technically illegal, is the most unrecognized form of discrimination when it comes to job hiring.

I think what this points to is that we live in a Victim society. Everyone feels victimized.

Hmm... I wonder if that means we have equality?

It means we have too many lawyers convincing us every problem we have is someone else's fault.

~Bang

Racism- is the belief that there are inherent differences in people's traits and capacities which are entirely due to their race, however defined, and which consequently justify those people being treated differently, both socially and legally. Alternatively, racism is the practice of certain group/s of people being treated differently, which is then justified by recourse to racial sterotyping or pseudo-science.

Discrimination- Since the American Civil War the term 'discrimination' generally evolved in American English usage as an understanding of prejudicial treatment of an individual based solely on their race, later generalized as membership in a certain socially undesirable group or social category.[1] Discernment has remained in British English as a term denoting elite status in perception and insight, often attributed to success in investment finance, or anyone with admirable choice in style, often high society leaders

Bias-motivated violence-A hate crime is a legal category used to described bias-motivated violence: "assault, injury, and murder on the basis of certain personal characteristics: different appearance, different color, different nationality, different language, different religion."[2]

So, what is it we're talking about?

Do black people treat white people differently than they do white people? If so, this is racism.

Are black people prejudice against white people? If so, this is discrimination.

Do blacks attack whites in bias-motivated violence? If so, it's a hate crime.

I would say that all of these happen in society, if you think otherwise, you're just plain lying.

I would also say, whites do the same thing to black people.

So, the question is, as a society, is this more common today than it was say 20 years ago in regards to blacks doing this to whites? My guess is, probably yes. However, to think this you have to be a narrow minded, bigot, racist, redneck because compared to what the blacks went through in American history whitey just needs to shut up and deal with it.

compared to what the blacks went through in American history whitey just needs to shut up and deal with it.

I don't disagree with your premise. However, I disagree with how it's executed. Because of what THOSE whiteys did, THIS whitey gets affirmative action.

As I've said before, if you want to punish me for what my ancestors did, then punish EVERYONE whose ancestors did something dumb.

The history argument pisses me off to no end, honestly. Look. I get it. Slavery was abhorent beyond words. So was segregation. I've done neither. Yet the a-holes that did it are gone, and those of us who grew up respecting people of all colors, faiths, nationalities, and sexual orientations get the repercussions.

Genius, America. Utter genius.

It means we have too many lawyers convincing us every problem we have is someone else's fault.

~Bang

Yeah, that too.

Mind you, I understand some of it. Heck, my big thread of the day was about the need for vigilance and the dangers of how we perceive the past. In being alert sometimes you jump the gun, but other times you put out sparks before they become a forest fire. I think the distinction that rubbed me so wrong in that thread is very valid. I can understand why some might think I was going overboard or being really picky.

There's also the difference in that I didn't accuse and wouldn't accuse of JMS of being an anti-semite. I just accuse him of being incorrect (which he probably considers a worse crime)

Guest Spearfeather
I don't disagree with your premise. However, I disagree with how it's executed. Because of what THOSE whiteys did, THIS whitey gets affirmative action.

As I've said before, if you want to punish me for what my ancestors did, then punish EVERYONE whose ancestors did something dumb.

The history argument pisses me off to no end, honestly. Look. I get it. Slavery was abhorent beyond words. So was segregation. I've done neither. Yet the a-holes that did it are gone, and those of us who grew up respecting people of all colors, faiths, nationalities, and sexual orientations get the repercussions.

Genius, America. Utter genius.

C'mon Hog, don't you know, two wrongs actually do make a right?

Archived