Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tufts Now: Whites Believe They Are Victims of Racism More Often Than Blacks

SkinsHokieFan

http://now.tufts.edu/news-releases/whites-believe-they-are-victims-racism-more-o

MEDFORD/SOMERVILLE, Mass. -- Whites believe that they have replaced blacks as the primary victims of racial discrimination in contemporary America, according to a new study from researchers at Tufts University's School of Arts and Sciences and Harvard Business School. The findings, say the authors, show that America has not achieved the "post-racial" society that some predicted in the wake of Barack Obama's election.

Both whites and blacks agree that anti-black racism has decreased over the last 60 years, according to the study. However, whites believe that anti-white racism has increased and is now a bigger problem than anti-black racism.

"It's a pretty surprising finding when you think of the wide range of disparities that still exist in society, most of which show black Americans with worse outcomes than whites in areas such as income, home ownership, health and employment," said Tufts Associate Professor of Psychology Samuel Sommers, Ph.D., co-author of "Whites See Racism as a Zero-sum Game that They Are Now Losing," which appears in the May 2011 issue of the journal Perspectives on Psychological Science.

Sommers and co-author Michael I. Norton of Harvard asked a nation-wide sample of 208 blacks and 209 whites to indicate the extent to which they felt blacks and whites were the targets of discrimination in each decade from the 1950s to the 2000s. A scale of 1 to 10 was used, with 1 being "not at all" and 10 being "very much."

White and black estimates of bias in the 1950s were similar. Both groups acknowledged little racism against whites at that time but substantial racism against blacks. Respondents also generally agreed that racism against blacks has decreased over time, although whites believed it has declined faster than blacks do.

However, whites believed that racism against whites has increased significantly as racism against blacks has decreased. On average, whites rated anti-white bias as more prevalent in the 2000s than anti-black bias by more than a full point on the 10-point scale. Moreover, some 11 percent of whites gave anti-white bias the maximum rating of 10 compared to only 2 percent of whites who rated anti-black bias a 10. Blacks, however, reported only a modest increase in their perceptions of "reverse racism."

"These data are the first to demonstrate that not only do whites think more progress has been made toward equality than do blacks, but whites also now believe that this progress is linked to a new inequality – at their expense," note Norton and Sommers. Whites see racial equality as a zero sum game, in which gains for one group mean losses for the other.

Click link for rest

Should I just stay away from this thread?

I should probably just stay away from this thread.

Na, I want to hear it.

My opinion: A lot of whites who feel this way are blue collar types who have seen their jobs disappear and buy into the myth that immigrants, blacks and AA are to blame for those jobs going away, as opposed to economic forces well beyond their control

i know the last application i filled out said women and minorities strongly encouraged to apply.

i dont see how this is ok especially when you consider that if it had said white men strongly encouraged to apply there would be outrage.

but thats just me i dont think that should be ok.

and let me also say that no i dont think that whites are more discriminated against than blacks.

Even though I've experienced what this article is about many times in my lifetime, I can't say that whites are more victims these days than black. In fact, I think the whole premise of this article is silly.

Which premise?

That whites are more discriminated against than blacks (I agree that is silly).

Or that whites BELIEVE that they are more disciminated against than blacks (that isn't silly at all, just true and sad).

You could repeat the survey and get the same results for white, male, Christian and heterosexual. :ols:

But in terms of equality, take a look at the make up of the Senate:

White 81

Black 1

Jewish 14

Hispanic 2

Asian 2

Native American 0

Looks like Whitey should still be more worried about the Jews than the coloreds. ;)

I'm not sure if that's necessarily the case, I believe some people play the race card too liberally, but I don't know if I'd consider that racism. I just think our society has gotten to a point where we feel comfortable enough to joke with each other about our stereotypes. Some people can take it too far obviously, and others can be too thin-skinned about it, but in general I think we are moving in the right direction. Will this cease to be an issue in my lifetime? Probably not.

i know the last application i filled out said women and minorities strongly encouraged to apply.

i dont see how this is ok especially when you consider that if it had said white men strongly encouraged to apply there would be outrage.

but thats just me i dont think that should be ok.

and let me also say that no i dont think that whites are more discriminated against than blacks.

In the article I would like to see it broken down even farther: white males, white females, black males, and black females. I bet we'd see different results from the study.

Also would like to see socioeconomic status thrown in there too. I bet middle class white males feel very strongly about how racism is working against them this last decade.

Na, I want to hear it.

My opinion: A lot of whites who feel this way are blue collar types who have seen their jobs disappear and buy into the myth that immigrants, blacks and AA are to blame for those jobs going away, as opposed to economic forces well beyond their control

I think there was a culture of entitlement among Middle Class Whites in this country for about the 40 years after World War II to maybe the mid 90s. If you worked in the Northeast or Midwest, you had an uncle or a cousin or a neighbor who worked in a factory or for the city who could get you a job. And once you had the job, you worked 30 years, got your pension, and retired to a mobile home park in Florida. It was all planned out.

That's gone now. Those jobs are either overseas or given to immigrants working for less pay and no benefits.

I think the belief is that it's "harder now for a white man." That may be true. The flipside that it is easier for a black man is almost certainly not true.

I think there was a culture of entitlement among Middle Class Whites in this country for about the 40 years after World War II to maybe the mid 90s. If you worked in the Northeast or Midwest' date=' you had an uncle or a cousin or a neighbor who worked in a factory or for the city who could get you a job. And once you had the job, you worked 30 years, got your pension, and retired to a mobile home park in Florida. It was all planned out.

That's gone now. Those jobs are either overseas or given to immigrants working for less pay and no benefits.

I think the belief is that it's "harder now for a white man." That may be true. The flipside that it is easier for a black man is almost certainly not true.[/quote']

It's not easier for a black man right now that it was right after WWII? :ols:

In the article I would like to see it broken down even farther: white males, white females, black males, and black females. I bet we'd see different results from the study.

Also would like to see socioeconomic status thrown in there too. I bet middle class white males feel very strongly about how racism is working against them this last decade.

I am a middle class white male and i have had a few problems with it, that application being one of them.

I remember one of the speeches that obama gave when he was running for president had a line in it that i liked a lot.

Ii dont remember the exact wording but it was on this topic and he said something along the lines of most white men dont feel they have been given anything, they dont feel like they were born privilaged and have had to work for everything they have.

I think thats the problem with the reverse racism thing is that white men feel that most black men and women all feel like they were born privelaged or with a silver spoon up there ass or something and the white men dont feel there color has given them any advantages in there life. at least thats the way i feel anyway.

I think the belief is that it's "harder now for a white man." That may be true. The flipside that it is easier for a black man is almost certainly not true.

Objectively and subjectively I think the first part is laughable. I have no idea how I fell into that line of thinking 10 years ago about "reverse racism"

You can't blame it all on Foxnews can you?

First and foremost, I hate the term "reverse racism" because it implies that only whites can be racist.

Now onto the article, it has it's merits but the change isn't as drastic as some make it out to be. With every business striving to be diverse the 18-35 year old white male is going to have a harder time because the same amount of jobs are there and more and more minorities and women are afforded the opportunity to take those jobs. Is it racism, it's hard to say because you don't know if the white male that was passed over was more qualified than the Hispanic woman that was hired. You'd hope that it wasn't the case but, unfortunately in some instances it does occur.

Objectively and subjectively I think the first part is laughable. I have no idea how I fell into that line of thinking 10 years ago about "reverse racism"

You can't blame it all on Foxnews can you?

Apparently, I didn't state that clearly enough.

I think we are living in an extremely difficult economy, and I don't think it's going to get any better in any dramatic way. The biggest change between life to now versus life even in the rough economy of the 70s is the idea of guaranteed benefits.

If you were an auto worker in 1978, you might be facing a world where you were going to be without a job soon. But you had a guaranteed pension. And you had guaranteed social security and Medicare benefits in your future. And you probably had guaranteed health insurance even if you were unemployed. And you had a pretty good idea that your union was going to protect your safety while you worked and would try to defend your job once the time for tough decisions came. Your economic world was filled with guarantees and allies.

That world is gone, and everyone is is basically on their own now. Yes, you may have a 401K but if the market tanks or if Bernie Madoff has been managing your account, you are going to work until you are 100.

You know the 8-A program which are federal set asides for discriminated minorities are open to whites and not open to all blacks.

Bill Cosby, Obama, Oprah and other accomplished minorities would not be allowed to apply for minority status because their careers have not be negatively effected by prejudice.. By the same logic Whites who are not a minority can apply even though they are not recognized as a minority. If they can show systemic discrimination or detail specific discrimination against them which held them back professionally they are free to apply for 8-A status.

Believe it or not. I think if you are one of the eight or nine federally recognized minority groups you just don't have to fill out all the essays. Like the systemic discrimination one.

Archived