Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tufts Now: Whites Believe They Are Victims of Racism More Often Than Blacks

SkinsHokieFan

Yeah, I was wondering if anyone was going to notice that Judaism isn't actually, you know, a race. :)

Neither is Hispanic

add

While we are on the subject,why is Obama considered black?

It's about as frustrating as the 'I'm not racist therefore racism doesn't exist' argument I imagine. :)

And THAT is almost as frustrating as having to defend things I didn't say! :ols:

Wrong Direction mentioned racism both ways in his post, and I agreed with him.

I don't disagree with your premise. However, I disagree with how it's executed. Because of what THOSE whiteys did, THIS whitey gets affirmative action.

As I've said before, if you want to punish me for what my ancestors did, then punish EVERYONE whose ancestors did something dumb.

The history argument pisses me off to no end, honestly. Look. I get it. Slavery was abhorent beyond words. So was segregation. I've done neither. Yet the a-holes that did it are gone, and those of us who grew up respecting people of all colors, faiths, nationalities, and sexual orientations get the repercussions.

Genius, America. Utter genius.

You must have missed my sarcasm HH. I was cutting off the obvious response.

I for one have been plenty places, especially around DC and B-more where I've been treated like **** by black people. Hell, I've even seen and been victim to discrimination by black people in the military. When I was an Airman in the dorm, I went to a party with a couple dudes I worked with, who happened to be black. When we got to the "house" party a guy approached us and asked "who brought white bread up in here". When my buddy said he did the guy said "this ain't his kind of party, he needs to leave". At Baumholder Germany two white dudes were stomped to death by a group of black soldiers for being white. To totally disregard that "reverse racism" exists is pretty ignorant, because it's quite obvious it does.

So, because it's black on white, is it just people being ass holes or is it racism/discrimination? By definition it is, but people of all color are ass holes. However, especially from my time here on ES, when a white dude claims that they witness blacks being racist towards whites, it's blown off as whitey being too sensitive and needs to get thicker skin since some white dude owned slaves over a hundred years ago. News flash! Um, I wasn't around during slavery and have never treated anyone badly because of the color of their skin.

It's about as frustrating as the 'I'm not racist therefore racism doesn't exist' argument I imagine. :)

Which itself is nearly as frustrating as the "Centuries of racism have had no lasting effects that still need to be addressed, and never mind those numbers Corcaigh put up in post #11" argument. :)

Guest Spearfeather
Which itself is nearly as frustrating as the "Centuries of racism have had no lasting effects that still need to be addressed, and never mind those numbers Corcaigh put up in post #11" argument. :)

There are however, a record number of blacks serving in the House of Representatives.

I don't know that bias is the proper word.

Maybe a perception that others get deferential treatment.

It has been my experience that if you provide good work for an honest price, you work.

I do, never collected a day of unemployment in my life.

I'm white, and have never been rich, never been given anything because I'm white, never been told the secret on how we whiteys can get over... never. I've come from the same neighborhoods as a lot of poor black people.. (I was clearly the minority where i came up.) I haven't become anything close to a financial success, but I get by and pay my bills. (Of course, I see all these "success stories" and their foreclosures and heaping debt, and I wonder just which one of us is the success?)

I think the playing field is about as level as it's going o get until the good ol' boy network dies off .. generationally it will decrease. Expecting that segment to just abandon their

racism is unrealistic, and by no means do I mean that is only a one way street.

I may be wrong in my perception, but I see racism fading on the white side, but growing in blacks and Hispanics.

if the roles were reversed in who owns the most businesses and provided the most jobs, then I think the OP article may be on to something. But since it's not, the racism i see displayed by non-whites toward whites is one of contempt.

Anyway, people are going to play with their coloring books. No one is ever going to be happy and they'll always find someone different to blame their problems on. I've no time for that bull**** in my life anymore. I've long since realized that if my life sucks, it's my own damn fault. Period.

Opportunity exists for all, so take it, make it work or shut the **** up.

That's how I see it.

~Bang

How many of your "black friends" are in your level finacially? I went to colege, somebody told me some where that was the path to success. My degree still didn't prevent the fact my first job was boxing bras and pens for Platex. I don't know why that is, maybe I didn't look like the friends of my head hunter. Or maybe the suit I wore to the interview wasn't sharp enough. Honestly show me the money. I work hard, so me the money.

"finacially"? "colege"? "some where"?...There's no way in hell you went to college!:ols:

Dude, it is bad form to call out people for their spelling or punctuation on a message board. No one edits their messages here.

The only time it is appropriate is when the poster is aggressively accusing someone else of being stupid, while making mistakes themselves, something that boobiemiles was not doing.

Show some class, and deal with the substance of his comment..

This may be generalizing, but this is what I gather from people I've heard mention this topic. It appears people (in this case, white) fear being labeled as a racist and are then interpreting that fear as oppression. The fear of saying a word that could be misinterpreted or even a casual glance that could considered wrong...this same dynamic applies to sexual harassment too. Where one lives may also be a strong factor as well (city vs. rural, midwest vs. southeast, etc.), when comparing thought processes.

Dude, it is bad form to call out people for their spelling or punctuation on a message board. No one edits their messages here.
I do. But I am rather anal about spelling and punctuation. If you went to college and actually learned anything, you would never let the non-word "colege" escape.

Living on Gentilly Blvd. in New Orleans we had a healthy dose of racism directed towards us. But we moved from there to Westminster, MD for a year and that was way worse. Westminster is chock full of racist whites. Far better to have racism directed at you than to feel complicit in it by association.

Na, I want to hear it.

My opinion: A lot of whites who feel this way are blue collar types who have seen their jobs disappear and buy into the myth that immigrants, blacks and AA are to blame for those jobs going away, as opposed to economic forces well beyond their control

What do you mean beyond their control, for years politicians fed into resentment over the civil rights act, and those politicians got voted in and and demonized and did their best top erode things that help the middle and lower classes like Civil Liberties lawyers, unions and higher education.

The other thing I know from my youth and I had a job in a hospital laundry, yeah it stunk and was hot but paid great during the late late 80's and early 90's when jobs starting to get scarce and I was the only white person there I asked the bosses why that was and they said when things were booming many whites felt these sorts of jobs were beneath them and now as times are getting tough they complain about they do not have job but people of colour and immigrants do.

The only time it is appropriate is when the poster is aggressively accusing someone else of being stupid, while making mistakes themselves, something that boobiemiles was not doing.

Show some class, and deal with the substance of his comment..

ok, his question was how many of my black friends are in my level financially? none, every one of them probably makes 2-3x what i make. one of them works for shell, they pay for his house, car, travelling expenses, and a 6 figure income, dude has it made.

if boobs doesn't like the job he got maybe he shouldn't have taken it? is it my fault his headhunter was bad at his job? didn't get him the right interviews? i never even used a headhunter, i went looking for jobs on my own, and i somehow miraculously wasn't boxing bras and pens? (playtex makes pens?) this attributes to what bang said earlier, if you don't like your current situation there is always someone to blame, but ultimately it's on you to get where you want to be, tired of people blaming others for their problems, man up.

I think every ethnic group feels more slighted or discriminated against than the other. And in the same token I think that every ethnic group has a segment that's highly prejudist against other races. Being black myself, i've personally experience racism from whites, but then observed racism expressed from blacks to whites (or non blacks). My general take is that there are ignorant and intelligent ppl in every race and culture, so i think articles/surveys like this are fruitless. :2cents:

I think every ethnic group feels more slighted or discriminated against than the other. And in the same token I think that every ethnic group has a segment that's highly prejudist against other races. Being black myself, i've personally experience racism from whites, but then observed racism expressed from blacks to whites (or non blacks). My general take is that there are ignorant and intelligent ppl in every race and culture, so i think articles/surveys like this are fruitless. :2cents:

ding ding ding

I take issue with a couple of things in this thread.

First, the poll is about discrimination, not about whether it's easier to be white or black. Some seem to be conflating the two issues.

Second, this thread already has examples of anti-white male policies, but none of anti minority/women policies. Many white people notice things like targeting minorities and women for jobs. Many employers, either through the goodness of their hearts or because of rules they must follow, go out of their way to offer jobs to non-white-men. These policies are systemic in government and non-government positions. I'm not complaining here, but I am pointing it out because nothing systemic like this against minorities/blacks openly exists in most of our world today. That doesn't mean there isn't a good-old-boy network, but that network isn't open or official policy. Plus, minority and women employers do the same "good old boy" thing, which many may have noticed as well.

Third, I don't like the implication in the OP link that worse outcomes for minorities have an association with racism today. Higher crime rates, lower employment, worse education, etc., are all significant problems in minority communities, but it's unclear that any of that has to do with racism today. Maybe it was part of the original cause, but it's not what is maintaining the status quo.

With all of that said, I see racism from every race and gender to this day. I didnt' take the poll so I have no idea what my exact position would be. I would certainly acknowledge the anti-white male policies in my answers though.

I agree with this ^^..

Nail on the head my friend! This exactly the way I see it and it frustrates the hell out of me when people are so dismissive when a "white" person sees it this way. "Quit whining white boy, your people were never slaves".

Nail on the head my friend! This exactly the way I see it and it frustrates the hell out of me when people are so dismissive when a "white" person sees it this way. "Quit whining white boy, your people were never slaves".

I am not going to get upset when I hear white people complain about "reverse racism," because it exists. I will, however, be mildly amused by white people who dismiss virtually every claim of racism and give full credit to every claim of "reverse racism."

Archived