Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Okay...I'm going to brag: my husband was just selected to represent the USA at the Pan Am Games!!!

Special K

does he wrestle for sunkist?

Congrats to him. As a former wrestler myself and current HS Coach I can tell you what a great honor it is indeed! Very good deal. I wish him and the rest of the USA Team the best of luck.

I wish! Unfortunately, wrestling sponsorship money has really dried up and Sunkist and NYAC don't have any spots open for sponsorship right now.

You're probably thinking of the current #1 USA wrestler at 60kg, Joe Betterman. He wrestles for Sunkist. He's our neighbor and a good friend of ours, great guy. He's the primary guy my husband trains with at the OTC. He just won nationals a few weeks ago, but didn't want to make weight for the Pan Ams. Matt took 5th at nationals...but Joe and the other guys who finished ahead of him don't want to make weight again so soon. So Fraser is sending my husband b/c he's next in line and willing to make weight for the tourney.

---------- Post added April-18th-2011 at 12:24 PM ----------

Thanks for all the support everyone!! I'll make sure the hubby reads this :)

I wish! Unfortunately, wrestling sponsorship money has really dried up and Sunkist and NYAC don't have any spots open for sponsorship right now.

You're probably thinking of the current #1 USA wrestler at 60kg, Joe Betterman. He wrestles for Sunkist. He's our neighbor and a good friend of ours, great guy. He's the primary guy my husband trains with at the OTC. He just won nationals a few weeks ago, but didn't want to make weight for the Pan Ams. Matt took 5th at nationals...but Joe and the other guys who finished ahead of him don't want to make weight again so soon. So Fraser is sending my husband b/c he's next in line and willing to make weight for the tourney.

---------- Post added April-18th-2011 at 12:24 PM ----------

Thanks for all the support everyone!! I'll make sure the hubby reads this :)

makes sense...thanks for the explanation too......Good luck to him. As someone that follows it as closely as anyone....Good luck and may he represent the USofA in a great way!

Wow! That's really cool! Congrats to him and both of you! Being a theatre guy I would normally say "break a leg," but seeing as it's wrestling... I'll say, hope he breaks some legs.

---------- Post added April-18th-2011 at 05:21 PM ----------

Oh, and as someone who has in the post enjoyed sharing stuff... it's not bragging, but letting friends join in the celebration. In fact, I'd be upset if I found out and didn't tell us.

Congrats to you and your husband! I'm a life-long wrestler, so I can appreciate what he goes through during training, working out, and especially cutting weight. Obviously not at the Olympic level ;), but you know what I mean.

It sounds like he really deserves and earned this. Of course he did! And he's extremely lucky to have found a woman who is so interested and invested in his passion, to have by his side. :)

Congrats to you and your husband! I'm a life-long wrestler, so I can appreciate what he goes through during training, working out, and especially cutting weight. Obviously not at the Olympic level ;), but you know what I mean.

It sounds like he really deserves and earned this. Of course he did! And he's extremely lucky to have found a woman who is so interested and invested in his passion, to have by his side. :)

Beat me to the punch, I wrestled 6 years and I know what it took in HS. What he's accomplished is awe inspiring. Congrats Mr. & Mrs. Keastie.

Congrats, hope you go along (and pick up a sponsor)

USA...USA...USA :point2sky

he is obviously blessed to have a wife such as you

I'm definitely making sure he reads this :ols: J/k.

I'm definitely no saint, and it has been stressful at times for me to make sure we have money to send him overseas several times a year and pay our bills. Him blowing out 2 ACL's in the past 2 years hasn't been too awesome either... but I was aware that he would be wrestling full-time through at least 2016 (God-willing) when I entered the marriage. And it's times like these where I get to see him do well at U.S. Nationals, and be given opportunities to represent our country at Pan Ams and be happy makes it worth everything.

I'm not going with him on this trip. I try to pick one international tournament each year to save up for and attend. This year I'm saving up for the World Championships in Turkey. :)

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE:

Hey everyone, just wanted to update all of you who had such good wishes for my husband.

His last wrestling match ended last night around 1 am. He is now on his way home from Colombia (that's where the wrestling Pan Ams were held this year) and I'll be picking him up from the airport later tonight. I only got to speak to him briefly and was unable to get all the details, but this is what I know so far...

He won his first match pretty handily, although I don't know which country his opponent was from. I'm not sure how many matches he had in between, but he mainly told me about his last match.

He lost his last match with the "star" wrestler from Colombia on a very controversial reffing call. The good news is he made weight and ended up taking 8th and qualifying USA's 60kg weight class for the World Chamionships and next Olympic qualifier tournament, which is the big thing (that's really what I'm happy about...but then I'm the wife who's just happy for my husband in general, it's like your mom telling you you're the best, it doesn't count :ols: ). However, he's definitely not happy how the tournament ended, nor is the US Men's Greco Coach, Steve Fraser. Matt was winning his last match against the Colombian wrestler, and the ref apparently made a completely phantom 2 pt. call for the Colombian wrestler at the very end, deciding the match. Fraser was extremely upset and put up a big stink, but to no avail. Fraser felt terrible aboutt the way things ended, but gave Matt some good advice as far as I'm concerned: he said they'd head back to the OTC and work on some things so that Matt doesn't get himself into a position where a ref's bad call can decide a match in the future...which is great advice and has always been my mindset in sports, and pretty much everything in life. It stinks because he would have medaled if he'd won that match, but hey, taking 8th, qualifying the US for the biggie tournaments coming up and gaining more experience in the international arena isn't too bad...at least as far as this wife's opinion goes :)

I'm also excited about the fact that we get to eat normal meals together for the next week or two until World Team Trials in June :ols:

Awesome, Katie.

And ya know, he can either score enough points to take the ref out of it, or just break the other guy's leg in three places like in your FB pic. :)

Best to both of you going forward!! :cheers:

I'm quoting the whole thing since it was the last post on the previous page (with standard format posts per page).

UPDATE:

Hey everyone, just wanted to update all of you who had such good wishes for my husband.

His last wrestling match ended last night around 1 am. He is now on his way home from Colombia (that's where the wrestling Pan Ams were held this year) and I'll be picking him up from the airport later tonight. I only got to speak to him briefly and was unable to get all the details, but this is what I know so far...

He won his first match pretty handily, although I don't know which country his opponent was from. I'm not sure how many matches he had in between, but he mainly told me about his last match.

He lost his last match with the "star" wrestler from Colombia on a very controversial reffing call. The good news is he made weight and ended up taking 8th and qualifying USA's 60kg weight class for the World Chamionships and next Olympic qualifier tournament, which is the big thing (that's really what I'm happy about...but then I'm the wife who's just happy for my husband in general, it's like your mom telling you you're the best, it doesn't count :ols: ). However, he's definitely not happy how the tournament ended, nor is the US Men's Greco Coach, Steve Fraser. Matt was winning his last match against the Colombian wrestler, and the ref apparently made a completely phantom 2 pt. call for the Colombian wrestler at the very end, deciding the match. Fraser was extremely upset and put up a big stink, but to no avail. Fraser felt terrible aboutt the way things ended, but gave Matt some good advice as far as I'm concerned: he said they'd head back to the OTC and work on some things so that Matt doesn't get himself into a position where a ref's bad call can decide a match in the future...which is great advice and has always been my mindset in sports, and pretty much everything in life. It stinks because he would have medaled if he'd won that match, but hey, taking 8th, qualifying the US for the biggie tournaments coming up and gaining more experience in the international arena isn't too bad...at least as far as this wife's opinion goes :)

I'm also excited about the fact that we get to eat normal meals together for the next week or two until World Team Trials in June :ols:

That's good news. Sounds like he really got the shaft by the ref. What do you expect though, dirty Colombian refs. Sounds like he can use that to help him in the future and the bright side is that he qualified for larger tourneys as well. Congrats to him, I'm sure he'll do better as the circumstances improve.

And ya know, he can either score enough points to take the ref out of it, or just break the other guy's leg in three places like in your FB pic. :)

I have my neice's pic out on the dining room table for him to see when he gets in tonight...it cracks me up everytime I pass the table to go into the kitchen. Hi Madie, your uncle is a wrestler, not a gladiator, ripping people's limbs off, lolol!
That is awesome. Totally cool if he qualifies for the Olympics.
Yeah, we'll see. He has a long uphill battle to qualify for the Olympics as it's a very competitive weight class that he's in, but it's not out of the picture: he's improving immensely each tournament.

That's good news. Sounds like he really got the shaft by the ref. What do you expect though, dirty Colombian refs. Sounds like he can use that to help him in the future and the bright side is that he qualified for larger tourneys as well. Congrats to him, I'm sure he'll do better as the circumstances improve.

Thanks SS. Yeah, don't know the details, but if Fraser got that upset, something shady happened...which is not uncommon in the international wrestling arena (remember the Swedish wrestler who threw away his bronze medal in disgust at the '08 Olympics?). Thing is, you have to recognize that's going to happen on occasion, particularly when you are wrestling the star wrestler of the country who's hosting the tournament, and score enough to take the potential bias calls out of it...which is hard to do because at that level, there's really only a thin margin that separates the wrestlers. Regardless, you can't blame the entirety of a result on a ref (IMO), and you need to just learn from it and it sounds like Fraser's going to be helping him a lot when they get back to CO. :)

I hate when things get reffed. Still, that's wonderful that it made it so far and qualified to go further! Let him know how many are rooting for him. Knowing you chose him I can't imagine that he's anything less than deserving.

All the best going forward and keep us updated! Hopefully, one day I can do a story on him... frankly, I already think there's a cool sort of feature possible about the work it takes. You got a cool Rocky story going there, Adrianne.... errr... Katie.

Archived