Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JMU vs VA Tech (College Decision)

JasonCampbell177

I'm seriously baffled by people who think VT has no social scene. What does that mean?

I can find at least one party in probably every complex in town on any given night. And if that fails, there's always my favorite place to go: Sharkeys (or one of the other 10 or so bars). And that is not including any of the Greek life events which I rarely attend.

A great majority of the people are awesome and welcoming and are more than willing to share their alcohol as long as you're nice.

Sans drinking, the social scene is still fun. There's tons of club sports, shooting range, golf course/ driving range, people hanging out on the drill field, volleyball, the river, the cascades, the movie theater, hell there's even pool tables and a mini arcade in Squires. And there's usually always people outside somewhere playin Cornhole or throwin a football when it's nice out.

If anything, I'd say the social scene is a bit overwhelming, as some of the bars get absolutely packed on certain nights. But it's all about knowing where to go.

I'm not knocking the scene at JMU, I've heard they have some awesome parties, I'm just not sure how anyone can honestly say the social scene at VT is anything less than amazing.

This is the decision I've had to make as well. I've flip-flopped between JMU and VT for the last few months, but i finally made my choice this weekend. My friend called me as i was out on Friday at about 7, and told me to go home and check my VT application online. I came home as quick as I could and looked it up. Lo and behold, i had just been offered admission to Virginia tech. Greatest feeling ever.

I called all my friends, ran up and down the street, and was in the best mood I'd been in for quite some time. I knew Tech was the my choice right then. I wouldn't have gotten nearly as excited to get my JMU acceptance letter. Clearly, both are great schools. My major being in business, I'd be rather well off at either of them. Sure, JMU's is ranked a little higher according to business week. But I'd say VT is the more well known school nationally, and internationally. Having a degree from there seems like it would be more recognized than one from JMU.

Now, i could be completely wrong about that last part. Does it matter to me? Not really. When i visited Tech it just felt like me. Everything about it i liked, with the exception of the 5 hour drive to and from.

Point is. If you're studying business I'd say it's a toss up. Whichever one feels more at home to you, that's the one you want.

This is the decision I've had to make as well. I've flip-flopped between JMU and VT for the last few months, but i finally made my choice this weekend. My friend called me as i was out on Friday at about 7, and told me to go home and check my VT application online. I came home as quick as I could and looked it up. Lo and behold, i had just been offered admission to Virginia tech. Greatest feeling ever.

I called all my friends, ran up and down the street, and was in the best mood I'd been in for quite some time. I knew Tech was the my choice right then. I wouldn't have gotten nearly as excited to get my JMU acceptance letter. Clearly, both are great schools. My major being in business, I'd be rather well off at either of them. Sure, JMU's is ranked a little higher according to business week. But I'd say VT is the more well known school nationally, and internationally. Having a degree from there seems like it would be more recognized than one from JMU.

Now, i could be completely wrong about that last part. Does it matter to me? Not really. When i visited Tech it just felt like me. Everything about it i liked, with the exception of the 5 hour drive to and from.

Point is. If you're studying business I'd say it's a toss up. Whichever one feels more at home to you, that's the one you want.

JMU is actually ranked 25-30 spots higher than Tech for business.

I stated that i acknowledged JMU was ranked higher, but quite honestly how much are those spots worth. They are still BOTH ranked much higher than most schools.

JMU grad here...those rankings are useless. Get your degree, learn how to learn, and have a great time. Those should be your three goals when you attend college...the order is up to you!

Exactly - sorry, I'm the first to admit my school (UMD) is lacking in hot women...yes, there are some lookers, but forreals, the ratio of hot to not sucks. Thanks for sending us your rejects Jersey.

The same can be said for Vtech - I dont see what you guys see...my ex is even in two sororities - they are all fugly. I havent seen one yet where I say 'damn, shes pretty cute'. Plain-jane nerdy fat chicks and townies.

My friends that go to JMU on the otherhand, hands down the girls are hot. I'm sure they are probably dumb as rocks, but still....hot is hot and you dont need to hear them talk when you are doing the hibiddy-dibbiddy.

So yes, in conclusion - there is a difference. Quality is needed - UMD has some hot chicks, but I get a dirty vibe since alot come from Jersey

And with this post I realize you have no idea what you're talking about. Heck, I'm Civil Engineering, and there's actually plenty of hotties in my class. Smart ones too.

Btw, the guy-girl ratio at Tech is about 50/50

Not really. When i visited Tech it just felt like me.

This is the most important thing.

I felt it right away, my mom even recognized it and I just 'knew'.

JMU didn't feel right to me, and Tech did. Its not easy to explain but sometimes you just know.

And the drive isn't that bad, its definitely a four hour drive for you at most...unless you drive like an old lady :ols:

So to the OP, go visit each school as many times as you can and really get a feel for everything about the school. If you know someone who goes there sit in on a class, get an official tour and get a 'tour' of the social scene. Figure out what's best for you, you aren't going to be disappointed at either school.

Archived