Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JMU vs VA Tech (College Decision)

JasonCampbell177

Douche.

:ols:

Maroon and Orange may clash but Purple and Gold is ghey.

:silly:

:ols:

--------------------------------

I should really add to my 'commercial' that you can't really go wrong. Worst comes to worst you hate it at one of the schools and transfer. I haven't met a single person who went to JMU who didn't love it, and I obviously love Tech. Bottom line, be glad you live in such a great state for college education.

All I can say is that I loved my time at Tech, and the food there is at least 2x as good as it sounds based on this thread. Any current graduates know whether a restaurant called Western Sizzlin is still there? You could get some crazy deals there like a chop steak and a bunch of bacon for only a few bucks. But alas, that was a different time.

All I can say is that I loved my time at Tech, and the food there is at least 2x as good as it sounds based on this thread. Any current graduates know whether a restaurant called Western Sizzlin is still there? You could get some crazy deals there like a chop steak and a bunch of bacon for only a few bucks. But alas, that was a different time.

It's a chain restaurant.

I don't think so. Last time I checked JMU was the one beating VT at Lane Stadium this past fall. I wouldn't go around making false statements that VT DESTROYS JMU on the sports scene.

Both schools are great schools, but I thought JMU was known as the better party school and has a much higher ratio of girls to guys than VT.

Does JMU have an annual Thursday night game on ESPN, with an extended intro just to show the entrance? Has College Gameday ever rolled around for football or basketball?

Yeah, VT destroys JMU in sports.

---------- Post added March-21st-2011 at 08:43 PM ----------

Go to a game at Lane, then go to a game at Penn State. You lose.

I was at the Penn State/Illinois Saturday night game a few years ago. That was a game that many people said was one of the loudest, most intense football games they had ever been to. I would take Lane over Beaver Stadium any day.

I've always been puzzled by the "Go to ______ University for the women" argument.

A. All colleges have oversexed 20-year-old women who drink too much.

B. It's not like you are going to sleep with the really hot ones anyway unless you play point guard.

part A really does depend on your college. the 2 colleges that i have been to were 70% dudes' date=' most of the chicks are pretty rough (and thats why we drink). and part b is also wrong imo.

---------- Post added March-21st-2011 at 07:55 PM ----------

and btw i recommend UT Austin. great business program and women that will put pretty much everywhere else to shame.

Ok I'll give my thoughts. My best friend went to JMU and I visited countless times (since its basically halfway between my hometown and Blacksburg) so I have a decent feel for it.

I'll warn you, I'm obsessed with Virginia Tech and everything Blacksburg. Its just been perfect for me, and obviously no college is ideal for everyone but I just love it here.

And to all the JMU people, please understand that I hold no grudges against your school, but its definitely not my scene.

Yes, JMU has a greater percentage of girls...which they like to keep bringing up. Whoever said we only have nerdy girls is totally off base. We definitely have our share of them but I've gotten plenty of whiplash in Blacksburg, trust me.

Someone said JMU's campus was more aesthetically pleasing...and I couldn't disagree more. I don’t really like the JMU campus, especially with 81 running through it. The quads are nice and some of the buildings are certainly beautiful but I think Tech has one of the best campuses I've ever been on. I love the look of stone, the scenery around Tech is gorgeous and its only getting better. Hell, even our parking garage is nice! Some people like brick, but I’m all about the stone look. Gets a bit dreary in the rain at times though. The dorms are all improving. They're renovating quite a bit now and some of it should be done when you get here. I lived in some of the nicest dorms (PY and then New Res East) but the regular dorms like Slusher Wing and Lee are pretty small and not that nice. Pritchard, which used to be the largest all male dorm in the country (or something like that) is now co-ed and they've spruced it up for the ladies. I'd suggest staying on for a year and moving off, being on-campus has some perks but I love being in an apartment. The bus system is pretty reliable, they're always on time and while it gets somewhat crowded in the mornings, on the big class changes and on the weekend nights its almost always on time.

You aren't close to 21 yet but I'm not a big fan of downtown Harrisonburg. The 'bar' scene is essentially non-existent and Jack Brown's (a local burger joint with the best burgers in the world) and a few other food places (Clementine’s, The Little Grille(?) and some others) are all that I’ve found that are worth mentioning. The rest of Harrisonburg is pretty redneck/trashy and the people I know who went to JMU hated the town...loved the school but hated the area.

There's technically enough bars in Blacksburg to "Bar Golf" (18 bars...its a bad, and yet fantastic way to spend a Saturday) but there's really not that many. They tend to get somewhat crowded and each has its own 'feel' (Tots = Greek, Underground = Hipster etc) and I do get irritated by how many people are packed into the bars at times but I've sure as hell enjoyed downtown.

The social scene...I don't know what to say. Everyone I meet who goes to JMU raves about how great the parties are and how hot all the girls are (which is relatively true) but I haven't really enjoyed the parties that I've been to. I guess I just didn't go to the right paries, but I haven't enjoyed the classic college type parties I've been to at JMU. I was there for the riots, which is a ridiculous story but that’s for another time. From what I understand, the bars aren't much to write home about, though I've never really been downtown there. I'm not going to bash JMU too hard because unless JMU is spiking their campus food with mind control drugs I have to assume there's parties I'm missing from the way people talk about them. I've found the guys there to be kinda douchey, which I think stems from the fact that there's so many more girls than guys that you don't really have to try :ols: No question the girls are hot. I've enjoyed my visits.

I will give them credit, you don't pay for parties...but you sort of have to know someone. At Tech, its usually pretty acceptable to walk into a random (big) party and as long as you drop a few bucks for a cup you'll be fine. Tech apartment parties are probably just what'd you'd expect from a normal college kegger. I lived in a big apartment with 4 other people so I was usually throwing the parties so I'm influenced by that because I didn't have to wander around finding random parties after about halfway through sophomore year. If you're interested in going Greek, think again. UVA is a big frat school and Tech is definitely not. The social life here doesn't revolve around them no matter what they think.

As for sports, barring the weird upset last year you can't really compare the two. Tech has an SEC feel on Saturdays in the fall. Everything shuts down, there's tens of thousands of alumni in town drinking and grilling and having a fantastic time. Nothing beats college football in the south, people couldn't be friendlier. They'll hand you drinks and food if you even look twice at their set up. Haven't been to JMU for a game of any type but I've hosted plenty of JMU students for Tech games and they agree.

Dan T mentioned the food, and its phenomenal here in Blacksburg. The food is amazing, all around campus and they're building another dining hall that should be open soon. At West End you can get a great steak, lobster and fresh fish...I even like the salad bar. I ate once on campus at JMU, and I don't remember anything about it.

I can't really compare academics. I sure as hell haven't been to class at JMU so you'll have to look at the rankings (which mostly suck) and talk to your counselor. I don't think you could go wrong with either school for business. SHF is the man to talk to, and he's already posted.

I love it here, its small and its somewhat southern and there's certainly some drawbacks. Parking sucks, there's times where dining halls are crowded and some of your intro classes will be in big lecture halls. The weather generally gets on your nerves until you get used to it because its pretty rainy and cold for a good portion of the year...but in the beginning and ending of the school year its awesome. Some people think there isn't a lot to do, because there's limited bars and you're not in a big city but I've never really been bored. There's a good social scene, hiking, a great river, a movie theater in town, good local music and a billion things happening on campus 24/7. You have an interest? There's a club for it, from the normal stuff to the super weird LARP kids on the Drillfield.

So, yeah, I ****ing love this place. My first choice was UVA (**** off LKB :ols: ) but I am exceptionally glad I didn't go there. I've enjoyed my visits to Charlottesville but I like it much better here.

So, please don't hate me all of you Duke Dog fanatics. I visited JMU frequently and I do like going up there. Its just not "me" if you know what I mean. I don't dislike JMU in any way, but I know that I wouldn't have been happy there. I’m sure there’s going to be some upset JMU students grads who want to tell me how wrong everything I just said was but I’m just giving my two cents. So if you’re about to pound away on your keyboard about what an idiot I am, please don’t :ols:

So, I hope that helps. Feel free to PM me with any questions, I'm graduating in May but I'll be around and you can certainly hit me up when you visit and I'll see what I can do about making sure you have a good time.

Thanks man this was really informative and I will definitely contact you if I come up again

---------- Post added March-21st-2011 at 09:04 PM ----------

Change your screen name, maybe that will help you with your decision. :D
:

:ols::ols: I do need to change it, I'm usually just a lurker

I went to both schools, transferred out of JMU my freshman year. Granted this was 12 years ago, but here's my take.

I don't know how it is now, when I went JMU had the better partying. Yes, at VT you can find at party. At JMU the party will find YOU. (Old joke, I know, but its true). Drinking, 420, and shrooms in the dorms, etc. (probably even harder stuff I didn't know about) Of course, the party may find you at 2 AM in the morning, on a Tuesday, when you have a mid-term the next morning (true story, except for the mid-term part, but there could have been one...). The RAs were on a "see no evil, hear no evil" policy. People got written up, but they wouldn't come into your suite unannounced unless there was something serious.

Blacksburg felt more like college town as the university basically is town, Harrisonburg there was more conflict between the locals.

Cute chicks at both places, but the male/female ratio is lower at JMU than it is at VT. JMU girls were mostly airheaded though.

On the academic side, if you are going into poly-sci/business/humanities/liberal arts, its probably a wash. If you want to do anything technical, like science/engineering, you are probably better off at VT.

I felt more like a number at VT than at JMU. At JMU I felt an elephant in a closet.

Good rule of thumb: go to the school with the worse lacrosse team. (or better yet, no lacrosse team)

Hey all, I was just seeking advice from anyone who has attended or simply just visited either of these colleges and their opinions on them. I've pretty much narrowed it down to these two schools and looking to make my decision by May 1st. I know I would be completely satisfied attending either of them but it's just a matter of which one. :ols:

The number one priority for me obviously is education, and I'm looking to major in probably a business/economics/political science area. I know the Pamplin College of business is great at Tech, but I also know the program at JMU is great as well. Along with this I've been selected to the honors program at JMU and I know this would be a great tool for finding jobs later, (I've yet to hear from tech about honors

Another important thing to me is I love to go out and have a good time. The social aspect is definitely a close second for me, I've visited up at Tech and had a very good time and probably visiting JMU in the near future to test out the social scene.

I've toured both schools for information/academic wise and was just looking for any opinions you ES'ers might have, thanks

go to one you like better, that's all it comes down to. And honestly, you'll probably love both places. It's college, it's fun.

Academics/name recognition are too close to matter. The business program at JMU appears to be the an excellent deal. Lots of my friends ended up getting offers from legit companies upon graduation. I think it's because JMU has such a strong presence in NoVa.

I doubt the schools are that much different. The biggest difference is probably that VT tends to be more conservative and Bro-ish, those are big negatives for me, but that's a personal preference. At the end of the day they're both big state schools in VA. The differences are only truly appreciable for people that live around VT and JMU grads.

I graduated in 2010 (I picked JMU over VT and I think that was an excellent choice for me), if you have specific questions feel free to toss me a PM.

Depends on what school you like

I can't decide for you because I'd just go the homer route and tell you to go to VT

Check out both schools for yourself, take a visit down 81, and see which one you like the best.

---------- Post added March-22nd-2011 at 07:21 AM ----------

I've always been puzzled by the "Go to ______ University for the women" argument.

A. All colleges have oversexed 20-year-old women who drink too much.

B. It's not like you are going to sleep with the really hot ones anyway unless you play point guard.

Besides' date=' the only schools I've ever visited where I've noticed anything dramatically different about the "quality" of the women is Ole Miss and Alabama - and that's really just because those two schools seem to require their co-eds to behave like bridesmaids on the day of tailgates.

Smoky eyes and chiffon for a 9:30 AM pig roast? Sure, why not.

(I would tend to avoid Catholic universities in cold weather locations though. I went to law school at a Catholic university. Atteneded the opening ceremony before it dawned on me that "Holly ****! These people actually believe this stuff!!!"

After four years of being taught by godless multi-culturalists, it was somewhat shocking.

The big problem at those schools is the bulky sweaters and lack of birth control).[/quote']

I don't get along with this person a lot

But this is wise advice, especially when college football and basketball fans bring up the women argument about who has hotter women

All colleges have hot women

All

Anyway I have a strong bias in supporting any type of massive school due to the award winning research programs and campus size. Some of the smaller school advocates claim that "class sizes are smaller, you can actually talk to your teacher", but that's pretty much the same thing at a big college. The huge classes are just for freshmen and you can still talk to your teacher during office hours, so there goes the class size argument.

A huge campus like VT may not be for everyone but it was good fun for me. As someone who has seen both campuses, both are pretty good. The main thing to be worried about is adapting to college, which is a topic for another day

I don't know why people are saying Follow Your Dream School, and all that garbage. You aren't marrying someone or buying a house, you are going to college, there is a great deal of options and freedom within where you can live, and who you can hang out with within a college. Frankly, the dream school mentality comes from people who got really worked up during college admissions, got into their #1 choice and thought it was their dream school and that the school was made just for them. Those people would have been just as happy if the school they picked as #2 would have been their #1 and actually got in that one instead. In reality, the freedom and personal growth are why people enjoy their days in college. The differences between particular colleges are highly overstated, and that's mostly because of the Dream School mentality and the high degree of personal identification people have with their college. (For example see the the 40 year olds making college jokes on page 2 and 3. )

But this is wise advice, especially when college football and basketball fans bring up the women argument about who has hotter women

All colleges have hot women

All

except VT that is. Seriously, the single biggest difference in school culture between these two schools is that JMU has mostly women and VT has mostly bros. It's by far the biggest actual objective difference that we can talk about.

Yes, all colleges have women - but there always is a difference in quality of women....that is the key

+1 though I won't say quality is all that different between these school. JMU and VT students come from the same backgrounds for the most part (though JMU more NoVa while VT more of the rest of VA). The more women aspect of the school definitely gives it a more mellow vibe, while the more dudes at VT gives a more broish/fratty vibe.

except VT that is. Seriously, the single biggest difference in school culture between these two schools is that JMU has mostly women and VT has mostly bros. It's by far the biggest actual objective difference that we can talk about.

+1 though I won't say quality is all that different, but the more women aspect of the school definitely gives it a more mellow vibe.

Exactly - sorry, I'm the first to admit my school (UMD) is lacking in hot women...yes, there are some lookers, but forreals, the ratio of hot to not sucks. Thanks for sending us your rejects Jersey.

The same can be said for Vtech - I dont see what you guys see...my ex is even in two sororities - they are all fugly. I havent seen one yet where I say 'damn, shes pretty cute'. Plain-jane nerdy fat chicks and townies.

My friends that go to JMU on the otherhand, hands down the girls are hot. I'm sure they are probably dumb as rocks, but still....hot is hot and you dont need to hear them talk when you are doing the hibiddy-dibbiddy.

So yes, in conclusion - there is a difference. Quality is needed - UMD has some hot chicks, but I get a dirty vibe since alot come from Jersey

I didn't add this yesterday, but you may also what to think about which school you will do the best at. Most undergrad is now like getting a high school diploma and you can't go wrong with any of Virginia's schools. I know when think about going to school that last thing you care about is GPA or what you want to do after, but that is important. For instance if you want to get into grad school down the road your GPA will matter depending on where you want to go. Also, if you got a job after school with the Federal Government, your GPA can increase your starting salary. Your GPA goes right on the resume at the top next to your school. So think about where you can do the best.

Exactly - sorry, I'm the first to admit my school (UMD) is lacking in hot women...yes, there are some lookers, but forreals, the ratio of hot to not sucks. Thanks for sending us your rejects Jersey.

The same can be said for Vtech - I dont see what you guys see...my ex is even in two sororities - they are all fugly. I havent seen one yet where I say 'damn, shes pretty cute'. Plain-jane nerdy fat chicks and townies.

My friends that go to JMU on the otherhand, hands down the girls are hot. I'm sure they are probably dumb as rocks, but still....hot is hot and you dont need to hear them talk when you are doing the hibiddy-dibbiddy.

So yes, in conclusion - there is a difference. Quality is needed - UMD has some hot chicks, but I get a dirty vibe since alot come from Jersey

You clearly haven't been to Blacksburg.

JMU certainly has a higher percentage of hotties but to say that all Tech girls are fugly or townies is just ridiculous.

Archived