Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JMU vs VA Tech (College Decision)

JasonCampbell177

Hey all, I was just seeking advice from anyone who has attended or simply just visited either of these colleges and their opinions on them. I've pretty much narrowed it down to these two schools and looking to make my decision by May 1st. I know I would be completely satisfied attending either of them but it's just a matter of which one. :ols:

The number one priority for me obviously is education, and I'm looking to major in probably a business/economics/political science area. I know the Pamplin College of business is great at Tech, but I also know the program at JMU is great as well. Along with this I've been selected to the honors program at JMU and I know this would be a great tool for finding jobs later, (I've yet to hear from tech about honors

Another important thing to me is I love to go out and have a good time. The social aspect is definitely a close second for me, I've visited up at Tech and had a very good time and probably visiting JMU in the near future to test out the social scene.

I've toured both schools for information/academic wise and was just looking for any opinions you ES'ers might have, thanks

Hey all, I was just seeking advice from anyone who has attended or simply just visited either of these colleges and their opinions on them. I've pretty much narrowed it down to these two schools and looking to make my decision by May 1st. I know I would be completely satisfied attending either of them but it's just a matter of which one. :ols:

The number one priority for me obviously is education, and I'm looking to major in probably a business/economics/political science area. I know the Pamplin College of business is great at Tech, but I also know the program at JMU is great as well. Along with this I've been selected to the honors program at JMU and I know this would be a great tool for finding jobs later, (I've yet to hear from tech about honors

Another important thing to me is I love to go out and have a good time. The social aspect is definitely a close second for me, I've visited up at Tech and had a very good time and probably visiting JMU in the near future to test out the social scene.

I've toured both schools for information/academic wise and was just looking for any opinions you ES'ers might have, thanks

VT destroys JMU on the social scene. Also on the sports scene.

Visit both schools and choose the one that feels like home.

It's the same advice I'd give for buying a house or a car. You can narrow down the programs and professors and sports teams and bar scenes. But - at the end of the day - you have to live there for 4 years.

Don't ever tell yourself you will grow to love a place. And don't ever go somewhere based on someone else's recommendation.

VT destroys JMU on the social scene. Also on the sports scene.

I don't think so. Last time I checked JMU was the one beating VT at Lane Stadium this past fall. I wouldn't go around making false statements that VT DESTROYS JMU on the sports scene.

Both schools are great schools, but I thought JMU was known as the better party school and has a much higher ratio of girls to guys than VT.

JMU definitley has more women.

I had to make this same decision a decade ago. I am very glad I chose Virginia Tech, but it wouldn't have killed me to go to JMU.

What influenced my decision? Michael Vick was probably the deciding factor, but personally I loved the super small town feel of Blacksburg, the campus not divided by a highway, the study abroad opportunities I had, and the overall uniqueness to the place. Sure it would have been much nicer to have had a ratio like JMU, but I made some very good friends, got some very contacts, ended up going to a very good grad school and now have a very good career. And a semester in Switzerland was priceless.

I've always been puzzled by the "Go to ______ University for the women" argument.

A. All colleges have oversexed 20-year-old women who drink too much.

B. It's not like you are going to sleep with the really hot ones anyway unless you play point guard.

Besides, the only schools I've ever visited where I've noticed anything dramatically different about the "quality" of the women is Ole Miss and Alabama - and that's really just because those two schools seem to require their co-eds to behave like bridesmaids on the day of tailgates.

Smoky eyes and chiffon for a 9:30 AM pig roast? Sure, why not.

(I would tend to avoid Catholic universities in cold weather locations though. I went to law school at a Catholic university. Atteneded the opening ceremony before it dawned on me that "Holly ****! These people actually believe this stuff!!!"

After four years of being taught by godless multi-culturalists, it was somewhat shocking.

The big problem at those schools is the bulky sweaters and lack of birth control).

Obviously I agree with others that you should see both schools to get an idea of which one sticks out to you...and it sounds like you're going to do that. So, since you're asking for input, I'll give you mine since I was deciding this same thing back in the 1990s.

JMU is going to feel more intimate and smaller if you like that. VT is going to blow JMU away when it comes to the sports scene. Just the football Saturdays could be enough to sway you if you're into that. This is a completely anecdotal opinion, but JMU has a much more aesthetically pleasing campus. Tech's has character, but it's not as pretty (for whatever that is worth). I definitely toured the campus on your typically beautiful spring day so that could have contributed.

I had a great time during my 4 years at JMU but also never had a bad time visiting friends at VT. Both places seem very into the Greek system, so take that either way you'd like to. Academically, if you're looking to be a business major, it's another close call. At the time I went to school, JMU was a slightly better option. Today, I have no idea. This would be an easier question to answer if you wanted to be an engineer or teacher! Oh, and I wouldn't worry too much about the Honors program to be honest. I'm sure it's a nice thing for you and something your parents will also like for you to use as consideration...but I wouldn't let that be one of the major factors at all.

In the end, JMU felt right for me. There have been times when I've wondered if I'd have preferred a true D-1 sports school...but our Harrisonburg game days still consisted of hanging out and drinking...we just got to watch the nationally relevant games instead of VT/Syracuse. Still, games at Tech are pretty awesome.

I'm rambling...so my advice is to visit both and go with the one that feels right. That's really all you can do. As someone else mentioned above, you probably have a front-runner already.

I've always been puzzled by the "Go to ______ University for the women" argument.

B. It's not like you are going to sleep with the really hot ones anyway unless you play point guard.

Besides' date=' the only schools I've ever visited where I've noticed anything dramatically different about the "quality" of the women is Ole Miss and Alabama - and that's really just because those two schools seem to require their co-eds to behave like bridesmaids on the day of tailgates.

Smoky eyes and chiffon for a 9:30 AM pig roast? Sure, why not.

(I would tend to avoid Catholic universities in cold weather locations though. I went to law school at a Catholic university. Atteneded the opening ceremony before it dawned on me that "Holly ****! These people actually believe this stuff!!!"

After four years of being taught by godless multi-culturalists, it was somewhat shocking.

The big problem at those schools is the bulky sweaters and lack of birth control).[/quote']

Personally from visiting both schools several times, both sober and drunk, walked around the campuses during the daytime and nightime. I will say I have noticed a difference in girls, but everyone sees it differently. What one is attracted to is not the same as another. Also, if you have more girls to guy ratio at one school, you will notice a difference at parties or bars. Just look at any bar in Arlington or DC. Girls out number the guys, because there are more girls than guys in the city. Now go to Woodbridge, the dudes pack the bar to hit on a few women that come out.

True, but some schools have a horrid male-female ratio and just uglier people in general. My college was 2/3rd guys, and everyone (of both sexes) was not concerned about their appearance (or hygiene) at all. That was rough.

Vtech has the better overall school, but ugly nerd chicks

Ahem.

Anyway, I absolutely love VT. I've had maybe one or two bad professors in my 4.5 years here. The majority of them honestly seem to care how you do in class, even from the big ones if you go talk to them during office hours.

The football scene is one of the main reasons why I chose VT over Charleston. Game days are indescribable (well at least before the games start lol). The tailgating is absolutely awesome, and Lane stadium gets loud.

The Greek scene is big here, but there's also a million other clubs and whatnot to join if you don't want to. The bar scene is great, but there's lots of crazy parties too. There's always something to do on the weekend.

I know a bunch of girls who went to JMU and they absolutely loved it, but personally, I just wanted a big school. Honestly, as soon as I visited here, I knew I belonged here. Do whatever feels right man, I'm sure you'll have a blast at which ever school you choose.

Go Hokies :)

It's the same advice I'd give for buying a house or a car. You can narrow down the programs and professors and sports teams and bar scenes. But - at the end of the day - you have to live there for 4 years.

Don't ever tell yourself you will grow to love a place. And don't ever go somewhere based on someone else's recommendation.

Amen. 5 minutes into stepping on my future college's campus' date=' I knew that was the place. I wasn't wrong. All I can say it was just a vibe I felt about the place.

Go to the school that feels like "home" and make the most of your time there. If you were going for something really specialized then yes, but business is business.

---------- Post added March-21st-2011 at 03:40 PM ----------

Amen. 5 minutes into stepping on my future college's campus, I knew that was the place. I wasn't wrong. All I can say it was just a vibe I felt about the place.

Go to the school that feels like "home" and make the most of your time there. If you were going for something really specialized then yes, but business is business.

If you're thinking of getting a business degree, just know that JMU has moved up to the #28 position (and appears to be climbing every year) according to BusinessWeek:

http://www.businessweek.com/interactive_reports/bs_ugrank_tab_0303.html?chan=bschools_special+report+--+best+college+business+programs_special+report+--+best+college+business+programs

Either place you choose, you're going to have a great time and meet a lot of cool people.

Sometimes I wonder if I would have preferred to go to a school with a well established football/basketball tradition - but it's also been cool to be a part of watching those areas at JMU grow while I was there.

I don't think you can make a "wrong" choice between the two. You are fortunate to have the opportunity to choose between two great schools.

This is one of the least accurate things I have ever read on this board.

LOL I thought the exact same thing but I didn't want to cause an argument.

I also disagreed with the person that said JMU was really into Greek life. I forget the exact % of people involved in the Greek system, but it is very low comparable to a lot of other schools.

---------- Post added March-21st-2011 at 03:44 PM ----------

---------- Post added March-21st-2011 at 03:46 PM ----------

JMU has the poontang and a better business school

Vtech has the better overall school, but ugly nerd chicks

----------

UMD has the better business school ;)

Not according to BusinessWeek. :)

Wow. Not even true. VTech has a really good Psych department which attracts our fair share of cuties.

True, but on a sheer ratio purpose JMU will win hands down. VT is dudes, dudes and more dudes :ols:

Not that there was anything wrong with that. I still had a ridiculously fun time over my 4 years there, from classes, to walking across the drill field (in spring/fall time, winter time that place was cold!), to football saturdays and basketball games, to going to Switzerland for a semester, and just having some really great profs. I personally couldn't have picked a better college experience

If you wanted an easier way of making up your mind, you should have attended JMU during Halloween. :cloud9:

Amazing weekend.

As for the greek life, its really not that huge at JMU, you don't need to be in greek life to have a great time. Also Dan who was #4 in 2009? I believe it was JMU correct? This year we're now #3 IIRC

Amazing weekend.

As for the greek life, its really not that huge at JMU, you don't need to be in greek life to have a great time. Also Dan who was #4 in 2009? I believe it was JMU correct? This year we're now #3 IIRC

Don't forget Grilled Cheese Thursdays! Yay JMU! Really, either one is a fine school.

Archived