Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo: Still worth it to go to the movies?

MattFancy

I rarely go; however when I do go, which will be tomorrow to see Hall Pass. I go to a matinee to save a couple of dollars and deal with a crowd that doesn't include teenagers who are constantly on their phone. Also, I skip the concessions because that's just a rip off, if I want something to drink, I just sneak my own water into the theater.

1.) I'm not willing to spend a dime on crap. I've been burned by Hollywood too many time, and paying for MY and my (then) girlfriend's ticket to see "Leap Year" was the straw that broke the camel's back

Having said that..

2.) Some of the best moments of my life were spent at a movie theater. Nothing can replace those memories.

My girlfriend and I only go to the theaters for movies we both want to really watch. I also still like the whole concept of going out to dinner and movies with her. With our busy schedules it's nice to just go out once in awhile and enjoy a date night.

Now I'm ok with that every once in awhile, but like you said its gotta be for a movie we both want to see.

The value just isn't there unless the movie is great and really takes advantage of the super large screen and sound system. Inception was great on the big screen but a comedy is just as good on my TV.

I can see why the video game industry is thriving and the movie/music industry is stumbling.

I go a lot, I try to avoid nights and weekends, the BEST time to go is before 2, I love going early in the day and usually catch new movies the week after their released. Either that or I attend midnight showings for the movies I REALLY want to see. Midnight showings are actually the majority of my movie theater experience and are pretty fun.

Here, regular movies are 9 or 10 dollars, IMAX (the fake one) comes out to around 13.50. Such a ripoff that is, and the cheapest food item is 3.50 for candy. Sometimes (thanks to my Regal Rewards card) I get 1 dollar candy, which I buy. Free popcorn or free drink coupons are awesome too. Matinee's and student tickets are 7 dollars usually, which is a good amount to pay. I never go see IMAX movies after seeing The Dark Knight in fake IMAX and being highly disappointed.

I do make it a point to see movies I think I'll enjoy in theaters especially if they're smaller movies. In the past 2 months I've seen The King's Speech, Black Swan, 127 Hours, and The Fighter. I want to contribute some money to movies like that when they are actual high quality and made well, and most importantly movies that are genuinely entertaining.

My next must see is Harry Potter 7 part 2, which I will for SURE see in real IMAX 3D. **** yea.

Perhaps pirating will have a positive effect in this market and force theatres to drop prices to reasonable numbers to compete.

Yeah....I don't think that's going to happen.

Actually, that's definitely not going to happen. GQ just had a big article recently about how Hollywood is getting more and more focused on producing "safe" movies over anything edgy or creative (unless they come with shoe-string budgets).

There were actually a lot of people in Hollywood who were hoping that Inception didn't do well last summer, in order to prove that audiences didn't want creative movies on a blockbuster scale.

More pirating = less films like Inception, Biutiful, The Social Network, Black Swan, etc., and more movies like Paul Blart Mall Cop and Jennifer Aniston romantic comedies. That's not a good thing.

And out of curiosity, what theaters are you guys all going to where it's like 30 to 40 dollars for a couple of tickets and a popcorn? I live in freaking Miami and the only place it's that expensive is if I decide to go to the dinner movie theater or South Beach. It's rare for me to spend more than about 12 bucks when I go to the movies.

---------- Post added February-24th-2011 at 05:36 PM ----------

I do make it a point to see movies I think I'll enjoy in theaters especially if they're smaller movies. In the past 2 months I've seen The King's Speech, Black Swan, 127 Hours, and The Fighter. I want to contribute some money to movies like that when they are actual high quality and made well, and most importantly movies that are genuinely entertaining.

This is the right idea.

The closest decent theater to me is over 50 miles away, so I hardly ever go to the movies. Maybe twice a year.

Here in southern Calvert county we have two options.. the theater in Prince Frederick, or the theater in Lexington Park.

There are no two bigger ****holes in the entire state. I absolutely will not go in either place. Their old, musty, filthy, and the screens are so dirty the movies are hard to even see (especially dark scenes.)

Maybe it's because I go so rarely, but I do like going to the movies. It's a treat.

~Bang

haha, ive been to both a bunch growing up, including the one in waldorf. they pretty much all suck. lex park is scary sometimes. i went for terminator 3. it was so obscenely loud the entire time.

haha, ive been to both a bunch growing up, including the one in waldorf. they pretty much all suck. lex park is scary sometimes. i went for terminator 3. it was so obscenely loud the entire time.

Hell, Waldorf is a place I avoid like the plague.

~Bang

Hell, Waldorf is a place I avoid like the plague.

~Bang

when i graduated hs in 03' i really started to dislike waldorf. nowadays i do the same thing as you, i avoid the area at all costs. theres not much good there. i havent gone to the mall there in years. the question is, which is worse in general, lex park or waldorf? i could prolly make a thread on that alone. i think i dislike waldorf more.

I go almost every week; though I usually go in the earlier hours to pay less.

I hate 3-D with a passion though.

I would say that the great movie is very rare and you'd be very lucky if there are more than 2-3 great movies a year.

I'm not too picky so most movies I see are either good or average.

Plenty of bad movies though.

The value just isn't there unless the movie is great and really takes advantage of the super large screen and sound system. Inception was great on the big screen but a comedy is just as good on my TV.

I can see why the video game industry is thriving and the movie/music industry is stumbling.

30 bucks is too much for ****** movies, plus the parking lot, almost 5 bucks more. Plus gas ...

I hate piracy, but pay this amount of money for some parody or some stupid terror wanna be, give me a break. That's one of the reasons people buys piracy.

Inception worth the money, also Avatar and The Dark Knight, the rest are CRAP.

Now about the video game industry at least some young talent wants to take the risk trying to innovate. Hollywood is same ol' same ol'.

30 bucks is too much for ****** movies, plus the parking lot, almost 5 bucks more. Plus gas ...

I hate piracy, but pay this amount of money for some parody or some stupid terror wanna be, give a me break. That's one of the reasons people buys piracy.

Inception worth the money, also Avatar and The Dark Knight, the rest are CRAP.

Now about the video game industry at least some young talent wants to take the risk trying to innovate. Hollywood is same ol' same ol'.

I don't really partake in the Piracy. I just don't see movies I don't want to see. I saw Dark Knight and Inception in theaters, as well as Toy Story 3. They were all exceptional movies.

I refuse to pay money to view sub par films.

I am laughing at all y'all who complain about the cost of drinks/candy at the movies. It's expensive as ****, so don't yall just have the wife pack the "Movie Purse" and put in candy/drinks from the store in there? LMAO, thats what I do, only have to pay the ticket prices then.....

makes it much more afordable :)

I never buy food at the theater, but for just me and my wife it is $20+ and the majority of the time the film barely lives up to expectations or disappoints us.

When I was young, and movies were at most $5, I was willing to go to multiple movies a week, take more chances on movies I was sort of interested in.

Not anymore....mostly now I seek films outside the hollywood bubble. It has paid off.

Archived