Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo: Still worth it to go to the movies?

MattFancy

http://shopping.yahoo.com/articles/yshoppingarticles/516/at-nearly-8-a-pop-are-movie-tickets-still-worth-it/

Of course, streaming "Dude, Where's My Car?" or "Lost Boys: The Thirst" isn't quite the same thing as, say, watching "Tron: Legacy" in 3D on a mammoth IMAX screen. Still, word that average U.S. movie ticket prices have eclipsed $8—if only by a penny—is certainly food for thought (and no, I don't mean the buttery, popcorn-y kind on sale for $10 a bucket at the concession stand).

The report from the Los Angeles Times is quick to point out that the latest averages from the National Association of Theater Owners (a.k.a., NATO—no, really) include matinees and children's ticket prices. See a movie in Manhattan and you'll end up paying a lot more—think $19 for a single ticket to an IMAX 3D showing of "The Green Hornet." (I'll pass, thanks.)

Indeed, it's the whole 3D thing that's playing the biggest role in rising movie ticket prices, NATO rep Patrick Corcoran told the L.A. Times, who also pointed out that the average ticket price in 1970, $1.55, comes out to $8.71 once you account for inflation.

Then again, it's also worth noting that theater attendance dipped a small but noticeable 5.3 percent in 2010, with many movie fans presumably deciding to save their money by staying at home.

And in our living rooms, of course, there are more and more home-video options to be had, ranging from $4 movie rentals on iTunes, Xbox Live, PSN, Vudu, and Amazon to buck-a-night Redbox DVD rentals and $8-a-month unlimited Netflix streaming.

I feel the same way, I haven't been to the movies in a few months. Its getting to be too expensive anymore. For me and my fiance to go, its about $20-$25. Why not wait til it comes out on blu-ray and I can pay the same price to own the movie?

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy going to the movies and some movies are better in theatres than at home (i.e. Avatar), but the majority of them look pretty damn good on my 50-inch TV at home.

So what do you guys think, is it still worth going to the movies?

There's a reason so many movies are going to 3D right now. The only movies you need to see in the theater are movies that are better in the theater.

And with home entertainment getting so much better, why on earth would you shell out 35 bucks for trip to the movies when you can do a redbox HD/Blu Ray at home for a dollar on a 50 inch screen.

I guess there will always be some social attraction to GOING to the movies, and you certainly look like a cheapskate if you tell a date that you're hitting redbox, but for a married guy like myself, there really isn't much reason to go to the theater anymore. I'll just wait a few months and get it on Netflix for a fraction of the cost.

I don't think I have been to the movies in about 2-3 years.

To me the movie experience is overrated.

Price, comfort, and ease, make it simply wasteful.

My TV and sound at home are pretty nice. I get all of the movie networks at home, and popcorn is about 50 cents, soda around $1, I can pause to take a restroom break, I can rewind or record...etc.

I've got a 73 inch 3D TV hooked up to the Internet and a blue ray player. Screw the movie theater.

Repalce 73 with 60 and yeah LOL.

we have a 2 terabyte external hard drive that we download movies to, then stream them through the PS3 wirelessly. we've got something like 280 movies on there so far.

intarweb FTW!

The closest decent theater to me is over 50 miles away, so I hardly ever go to the movies. Maybe twice a year.

Here in southern Calvert county we have two options.. the theater in Prince Frederick, or the theater in Lexington Park.

There are no two bigger ****holes in the entire state. I absolutely will not go in either place. Their old, musty, filthy, and the screens are so dirty the movies are hard to even see (especially dark scenes.)

Maybe it's because I go so rarely, but I do like going to the movies. It's a treat.

~Bang

With a 5 year old, going to the theater is the only way we have to go see non-kid films together with my wife. His TKD does a "parents night out" and there is really only enough time to get to the local movie theater to see a movie.

But yeah, sticker shock is in full effect. What really shocked me was going to a matinee and have it cost what it used to cost me for a regular showing. The screwed up thing is that it is usually cheaper to wait for a DVD release and just buy the damn movie.

This really hurts those movies which are questionable in the minds of filmgoers, since people are more likely to make "safe" choices or those which promise spectacle.

The closest decent theater to me is over 50 miles away, so I hardly ever go to the movies. Maybe twice a year.

Here in southern Calvert county we have two options.. the theater in Prince Frederick, or the theater in Lexington Park.

There are no two bigger ****holes in the entire state. I absolutely will not go in either place. Their old, musty, filthy, and the screens are so dirty the movies are hard to even see (especially dark scenes.)

Maybe it's because I go so rarely, but I do like going to the movies. It's a treat.

~Bang

The one in Lexington Park may be the worst movie theater ever! The closest good one to you would be Annapolis I guess. So yeah, if you figure the price of movie tickets plus gas, its not worth it

Overall- No longer worth it. I will go see things that truly enhance my experience by seeing them on a giant screen though.

1. Ticket/refreshment prices.

2. I can no longer stay awake for 2 hours in the dark.

I thought I was the only one, lol, seriously I haven't been in forever, but the last time I went I fell asleep....to Tron 3D. I woke up near the end but missed about a half hour of it.

The one in Lexington Park may be the worst movie theater ever! The closest good one to you would be Annapolis I guess. So yeah, if you figure the price of movie tickets plus gas, its not worth it

Not to mention the time.. over an hour's drive one way, then the movie, then the obligatory trip to Trader Joes..

It's a whole day, basically.

And yes,, the theater in Lexington Park is the worst dump in southern Maryland.

~Bang

Last time me and the wife went, we wound up spending around $35 by the time we bought tickets,2 drinks and a popcorn.

Thank goodness she didn't want candy too....... :silly:

Yeah, that's the killer. When I do go, I refuse to buy anything more than a "small" soda. ( 10 whole ounces for $4.75!)

~Bang

I don't usually go to the theater anymore because of the prices. If my fiancee and I want to catch a movie it'll cost us 9 dollars apiece at the theater that we don't feel like we'll get mugged in. Sure the place is very nice, the seats and screens are better than they ever were when I was little, but it just isn't an affordable thing to do with any regularity. I have no interest in 3D, I'm not that kind of moviegoer and would much rather see a movie shot in real locations with interesting and well written stories and good acting (go figure) so I really have no incentive to go see things in theaters unless its something I really really really want to see badly.

With the crap Hollywood has been producing lately, nothing has drawn me to spend 19 dollars to go out to the movies. I don't ever even buy food or drinks there...hell I know people who can't go to the movies without buying the jumbo drinks, popcorn, candy, you name it. I can only imagine both what their expenses are for outings like that and how exactly they pay for things like that.

Yes I know there have been good films out this year which aren't the run of the mill hollywood crap, but this year's good films aren't of the variety which peak my interest.

Oh and also add in the age old case of the local movie theater being the hang out for all the stupid high school kids in the surrounding area who have nothing better to do than behave like morons. I choose not to place myself in close proximity to them because I am so inclined to tell them what I think of them when they spend an entire movie talking and giggling, getting up 5 times walking in and out of the theater doing god knows what. I understand that I was never an average teenager who acts like a ****ing **** in public on purpose constantly while looking for the approval of his peers for being the coolest idiot out there and therefore will never understand what causes such a mindset, but holy **** what the **** is wrong with kids?

Just spent $50 to take my daughter and her friend to see "127 Hours" (great movie by the way). For me, the experience was no more enjoyable than watching it in my basment on the big screen. I guess it's more the experience for kids of being in the theater and getting snacks and drinks n such.

Archived